Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Imagine being so insulated and privileged you actually believe this is a pressing concern holy poo poo

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, yeah. Every place we stuck our dick into turned into a poo poo-covered hornet's nest. I think that Solaris and I are just worried about what will happen to the Kurdish people. Though to be perfectly honest, with Donny and his racists at the wheel, the odds of us lifting a finger to help them even when we are there are ever decreasing because Trump is such a loving racist that he won't do poo poo as Kurds are massacred by the Turkish let alone take in refugees.

I am just so drat frustrated because historically when genocide is actively happening we are so reticent to get involved whereas if we have a capitalistic interest, our jets are fueled and ready to kill indiscriminately.

Yeah I hear that, and the bad news is yeah, lots of people are going to die. That much seems unavoidable now, not to be cold and stoic about it. I guess I'd rather we not have the blood directly on our hands like we usually do, and until we come up with another way of doing business the choice seems to be stay out of it and not be responsible, or go in and be responsible. Decades of incompetence and imperialism has lead us here.

theflyingorc posted:

Now do Germany

There's a reason I didn't bring it up. Mostly it's because it says a lot (none of it good) that you have to go back that far for a war where we were the good guys and made things better.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

An unexpected progressive view on gay marriage.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not only did winning the Presidency not accomplish Trumps deepest lifetime desire to be accepted and respected by New York High Society but by attaining the Presidency he’s given them the tools to finally rid themselves of him for good. It’s poetic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also ill take a break from posting because im too emotionally involved in the Subject but I’ve had Kurdish friends/ co-workers and ive done a fair amount of reading on their history. It is incredibly depressing and I fear for their community. :(

If it makes you feel any better, the United States was always going to turn on the Kurds because they're too communist, so really it's just a question of how many other people were going to die in Syria before the US decided it was time to murder the poo poo out of the Kurds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Don't you have legislating to do, Lindsay?

It’s wild how in 20goddamn18 people are still credulously talking about the US military deploying for humanitarian purposes. Do these people pay their own bills? Are they responsible for anything larger than a terrarium? How the gently caress does this happen?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah but WWII was also the last real 'moral' war where it was clear something Bad was going on, so everyone felt really strongly across the board that something had to be done

of course part of that is bc Eleanor Roosevelt & Lyudmila Pavlichenko were very very VERY good at helping drum up US support locally via the newspapers

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

eke out posted:

that would be an escalation of the current status quo requiring a huge commitment of additional american forces, not a fallback position

again, you're worried about theoretical cities reduced to rubble yet support the effort that has actually resulted in syrian cities being bombed to rubble and a literally unknown number of millions of dollars spent arming members of al qaeda/its offshoots/other definitely-terrorist groups

The US has effectively already enforced a no fly zone over eastern Syria for the past several years, so I'm not sure how you see this requiring additional forces.

I get the criticism of past US action. However the primary purpose of the US troop presence in eastern Syria is not fighting a war, but preventing one. Right now they are functionally human shields protecting cities like Manbij from Turkish invasion. If they go away there's a real chance shelling, airstrikes and other violence will spread again.

the Syrian Democractic forces have for a long time proved themselves capable of running eastern Syrian without mass atrocities, without genocide, without ethnic cleansing, without disappearing political critics. They are hardly perfect. If they are replaced by the Assad government, local jihadis, or Turkish mercenaries its going to make everything worse local residents.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not only did winning the Presidency not accomplish Trumps deepest lifetime desire to be accepted and respected by New York High Society but by attaining the Presidency he’s given them the tools to finally rid themselves of him for good. It’s poetic.

The only thing lately that gives me hope and a bit of perverted glee is that, as Patton Oswalt once said to a heckler, "You're going to miss everything cool and die angry." He's going to croak on the toilet at some point relatively soon, his colon a riddled, rotting mass of decayed flesh, bitter and angry at everyone else in the world for not realizing how great he is. Until his dying breath he will rage out at the world that dares not admit to itself his greatness.

It's all we got since we're never sending the gently caress to jail.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The gingerbread thing is like that comic where Calvin sees Susie making snow-women, with chest bulges, so he creates anatomically correct snowmen jsut so everyone will know his snow sculptures are dudes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine being so insulted and privileged you actually believe this is a pressing concern holy poo poo

Gingerbread men are the only brown people they care about

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

evilweasel posted:

that said, if neither cancer is mesothelioma (the asbestos signature cancer; it's basically only caused by asbestos) you probably don't have a strong case - some lawyer will be willing to add you as an MDL client but any settlement likely wouldn't pay much for non-mesothelioma cancers

Well the case that happened earlier this year involved women with ovarian cancer.

Although to be honest I'm no doctor either so could that have been mesothelioma? I dunno.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah but WWII was also the last real 'moral' war where it was clear something Bad was going on, so everyone felt really strongly across the board that something had to be done

of course part of that is bc Eleanor Roosevelt & Lyudmila Pavlichenko were very very VERY good at helping drum up US support locally via the newspapers

Also by the end of WW2 the USA realized it needed a strong prosperous Europe to keep the place from going commie so we abandoned our plans to mass murder the poo poo out of the Germans and steal everything of value like we typically do, and actually committed ourselves to building up the economies and institutions of the places we invaded which turns out to be super easy if that's what you actually want to do (in the Middle East, it isn't)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RaspberryCommie posted:

Well the case that happened earlier this year involved women with ovarian cancer.

Although to be honest I'm no doctor either so could that have been mesothelioma? I dunno.

Mesothelioma is a lung disease caused by inhaling microscopic fibers, so no, you can't get mesothelioma of the ovaries unless you've got some kind of OSHA violation kink.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The secret twist is that it seems pretty obvious that they aren't covering up "there was asbestos in baby powder" but are covering up "talcum powder causes ovarian cancer"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the United States was always going to turn on the Kurds because they're too communist, so really it's just a question of how many other people were going to die in Syria before the US decided it was time to murder the poo poo out of the Kurds.

There are many reasons why the U.S. may theoretically turn on the Kurds on their own but lol that is not one of them. The Kurdish people have incredibly diverse viewpoints, political parties, and regional differences. Not every Kurd is a member of the PKK but clearly, you've bought into Turkish propaganda.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There are many reasons why the U.S. may theoretically turn on the Kurds on their own but lol that is not one of them. The Kurdish people have incredibly diverse viewpoints, political parties, and regional differences. Not every Kurd is a member of the PKK but clearly, you've bought into Turkish propaganda.

every foreign group is exactly 1 thing. and foreign countries are like star wars planets to America.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

No one tell them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Establish your gingerbreadwomen by stitching a dress triangle into her loving flesh :unsmigghh:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I thought I was still too low but didn't want to do a Trump and pull a bigger number out of my rear end. Thanks.

1stGear posted:

It's truly phenomenal that this is just how our government works now. Constantly staggering from budget crisis to budget crisis, perpetually one rear end in a top hat away from everything falling to pieces.

This is entirely by GOP design. Starve it until it can be drowned in the bathtub.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

lol yeah dude I'm sure this will be the one time the US considers the nuanced positions of the populace before murdering the poo poo out of people that oil companies are desperate to murder.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Oh god. A coworker took the opportunity of us complaining about the healthcare hikes our company is doing next year to send me a link to this site:
https://www.chministries.org/

It is one of those group-based Christian healthcare crowdfunding places...

https://www.chministries.org/programs-costs/

This is their plan "information" and "sharing system"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mimms/status/1075430980880621568

Paul Ryan's Legacy: We almost did some stuff

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It would be nice if as part of the settlements/judgements that are going to come down that Trump would be legally required to acknowledge wrongdoing via the same platform he denied it previously. As much as I’d like to see someone get jail time for the obvious tax fraud that was the Trump Foundation, I’d probably settle for bigly fines, banning the Trump family from serving on charitable boards, and Trump having to admit on Twitter that his foundation used charitable donations for personal and business uses (with a ‘no take backs’ clause so he can’t follow it up with a contradictory tweet later).

But if we can get even a little jail time then let’s go for that instead.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

More useful political commentary from the Koch Brothers NPR:

NPR posted:

Warning To Democrats: Most Americans Against U.S. Getting More Politically Correct

Heading into the 2020 Democratic primaries, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll has a warning for Democrats: Americans are largely against the country becoming more politically correct.

Fifty-two percent of Americans, including a majority of independents, said they are against the country becoming more politically correct and are upset that there are too many things people can't say anymore. About a third said they are in favor of the country becoming more politically correct and like when people are being more sensitive in their comments about others.

The question they asked to generate this result isn't leading at all, of course:

quote:

In general, are you in favor of the United States becoming more politically correct and like when people are being more sensitive in their comments about others, or are you against the country becoming more politically correct and upset that there are too many things people can’t say anymore?

And they say Democrats need to beware but follow it up with:

quote:

There are huge partisan, racial and gender divides on the question of sensitivity. The only groups in which majorities said they were in favor of people being more sensitive were Democrats, adults under 30, African-Americans and small city/suburban women.

So everyone (mostly white males) is against PC GONE MAD, except for the people who overwhelmingly turned out to vote for Democrats in the last election, so the Dems... uh... better be careful?

And of course the obvious question of whether "PC" has ever polled favorably and how this result compares against previous polls goes unasked.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

More useful political commentary from the Koch Brothers NPR:

I am so loving sick of this "politically correct" crap because it's gotten conflated with "I have the god-given right to be an insufferable racist/sexist/homophobic rear end in a top hat because FREEZE PEACH :byodood:, but no one else gets to call me out on it or they are trampling on my rights".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't think I have ever heard the term "politically correct" used in a supportive way, so good survey NPR

friendbot2000 posted:

Oh god. A coworker took the opportunity of us complaining about the healthcare hikes our company is doing next year to send me a link to this site:
https://www.chministries.org/

It is one of those group-based Christian healthcare crowdfunding places...

https://www.chministries.org/programs-costs/

This is their plan "information" and "sharing system"

Putting aside the "sharing" thing, there is some crazy poo poo in their guidelines

- If you drop your membership level at any time then all your current conditions become pre-existing conditions

- Disabled adopted children are not eligible for benefits (good Christian values)

- unwed pregnant women are not eligible for benefits, instead they are told to go to a Christian pregnancy center

- if you go over your "sharing limit" then you are put on a "prayer page" to have people crowdsource it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Trump acknowledge his own wrongdoing? You've got a better chance of skiing to the sun. I mean yes, they should all be banned from as much griftification as possible, but let's be reasonable here.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

How sad is John Bolton about pulling troops out of Syria?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I am so loving sick of this "politically correct" crap because it's gotten conflated with "I have the god-given right to be an insufferable racist/sexist/homophobic rear end in a top hat because FREEZE PEACH :byodood:, but no one else gets to call me out on it or they are trampling on my rights".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8Dxpb3b6E

Still one of the best responses to "PC GONE MAD"

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So.... the only reason we assume this Syria thing is happening is because Sarah Sanders said so. Everyone else seems to have no idea what's going on, including everyone who has anything to do with Syria.

Have I got that right?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JasonV posted:

So.... the only reason we assume this Syria thing is happening is because Sarah Sanders said so. Everyone else seems to have no idea what's going on, including everyone who has anything to do with Syria.

Have I got that right?

Trump said so in a tweet also, but yes correct there is no reason to believe it's actually going to happen since he's said this before

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

JasonV posted:

Have I got that right?

Trump needs to pretend something went his way this week.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guze posted:

Trump needs to pretend something went his way this week.

well, the criminal justice reform passed, and it was an objectively good thing, and hailed as a "rare bipartisan victory" by basically all media

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
He's almost figured it out...

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1075435204758638593

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There’s a good chance that Trumps tweet is the first time the Pentagon heard about this plan.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

enraged_camel posted:

well, the criminal justice reform passed, and it was an objectively good thing, and hailed as a "rare bipartisan victory" by basically all media

That was more of a Jared thing than him though. Did he even mention it before this week?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aww, poor Lindsey didn't even get a heads-up, after all the toadying he's been doing for Trump :(

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Like, no loving doi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaveWoo posted:

Aww, poor Lindsey didn't even get a heads-up, after all the toadying he's been doing for Trump :(

He's the new Piss Christie