Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
We had to move kiddo to a toddler bed at 18mo because the monkey was climbing out if the crib. We didn’t want him tripping in a sleepsack so we replaced it with thicker pajamas, no blankets. He was waking up with blankets inthe bed anyway so that’s what he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Will kids grow out of the startle phase? My 7 week old can only sleep at night in a sleep sack swaddle thing because otherwise he wakes himself up by startling himself. Sometimes he’s ok but he does better at night swaddled, which is funny because he hated being swaddled a few weeks ago.

The tag says I can use these until he starts to turn over, so I guess then I’d move to a sleep sack? Not sure how well that will work if he’s still waking himself up by starting though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

They make wearable blankets with feet holes for olde kids!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sheri posted:

Dumb question from an 11 month old parent: don't their feet get cold?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Heners_UK posted:

Impressive that you had a child so young

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Maybe?

Mine had footie pajamas on and never complained about it so his didn't. But I guess ymmv.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Going on a transatlantic flight next week with my 7MO. Any tips? We're going from East to West first. I do accept thoughts and prayers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Paci retainer is a must.

FoEzy
Dec 9, 2018

nwin posted:

Will kids grow out of the startle phase? My 7 week old can only sleep at night in a sleep sack swaddle thing because otherwise he wakes himself up by startling himself. Sometimes he’s ok but he does better at night swaddled, which is funny because he hated being swaddled a few weeks ago.

The tag says I can use these until he starts to turn over, so I guess then I’d move to a sleep sack? Not sure how well that will work if he’s still waking himself up by starting though.

Yeah, you should be well past the startle phase by the time he is turning himself over. Then you can do the sleep sack thing or just use regular clothes. We leaned pretty heavily on the fleece footy pajamas but it's really whatever works for your kid.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

bollig posted:

Going on a transatlantic flight next week with my 7MO. Any tips? We're going from East to West first. I do accept thoughts and prayers.

Two muslins or light blankets to make an at seat privacy shroud for breastfeeding or napping.

Extra food and drink for the little one. Extra nappies. Ideally these things will just make you feel better. A few changes of clothes for kid and at least one for parents.

Tablet with Little Baby Bum shows from YouTube or Netflix, available offline. Even on mute young kids appear hypnotized by it.

(What I'll be doing shortly for my 11 month old) hide some toys now, or get new cheap ones, only give them over on the plane so they are new to the little one.

If renting a car at the end: decide the driver in advance, at some point in the flight they just have to get a bit of sleep no matter what so they are safe to drive.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

The Moro reflex is more of a newborn thing almost, you can still see remnants of it in older kids when they sleep with the telltale way they hold out their hands when they hear a sound, but it seems like they start to sleep more soundly at some point where startling doesn’t wake them up as easily. My kid still does the hands thing. I’m told it comes partially from some kind of feeling of falling backwards or something?

We HAD to swaddle because it was one of the 5 S’s: Swaddle, Shush, Swing, Side or Stomach, and Sucking. Swaddling was one of the ways we calmed ours down during the witching hours, but not all babies are into it or at least not right away. That’s part of the reason the swaddle works, though, is to stop the Moro reflex from waking them up.

I don’t know about you but we were in no hurry to discard the swaddle for many reasons, chief among them the security he got from it and stopping that startle. We have used sleep sacks, but ours wasn’t into them so we got him the Magic Merlin Sleep Suit and it’s been great in providing security for him and it’s hard for him to move around a lot. Also it’s thick and keeps him warm in addition to pajamas.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

nwin posted:

We used a Love to Dream Swaddle Up, which kept the arms confined, but let my daughter chew on her hands and push up... it just seemed restrictive enough to prevent the startle reflex while still allowing her to move as needed. She still wears one at 19 mo old with the arms off now, ha.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Oh man the last two days have been fun. We have him on Enfamil Gentlease and he’s seemed fine for the last three weeks since we switched to it from breast milk+formula, but the last two days he’s spitting up more than he used to, Doesn’t like the rock and play when he used to love it, and seems backed up. He still has anywhere from 1-2 bowel movements a day, but he’s fussy as all get out until it happens. We’re trying bicycle kicks and massaging his tummy, and gas drops to help in case that’s an issue, but nothing is working. We’re thinking of trying a different formula tomorrow.

Last night he slept 4.5 hours in one stretch which is a record, but he’s been fussy for the last 6-7 hours.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

We started our 7 week old on probiotics which is helping with the gas/spit up, but he’s gotten way fussier in the last week just because of developmental changes. Now he’s suddenly more alert/aware and has FOMO and fights sleep. So maybe your baby’s new fussiness is caused by developmental and not digestive factors.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Oh man the last two days have been fun. We have him on Enfamil Gentlease and he’s seemed fine for the last three weeks since we switched to it from breast milk+formula, but the last two days he’s spitting up more than he used to, Doesn’t like the rock and play when he used to love it, and seems backed up. He still has anywhere from 1-2 bowel movements a day, but he’s fussy as all get out until it happens. We’re trying bicycle kicks and massaging his tummy, and gas drops to help in case that’s an issue, but nothing is working. We’re thinking of trying a different formula tomorrow.

Last night he slept 4.5 hours in one stretch which is a record, but he’s been fussy for the last 6-7 hours.

Have you tried the windi? It's been pretty effective for us.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hi_Bears posted:

We started our 7 week old on probiotics which is helping with the gas/spit up, but he’s gotten way fussier in the last week just because of developmental changes. Now he’s suddenly more alert/aware and has FOMO and fights sleep. So maybe your baby’s new fussiness is caused by developmental and not digestive factors.

Our son is doing exactly the same. He also just rewarded us with almost 6 hours in between feedings and uninterrupted sleep, so maybe the problem isn’t with the formula.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

devmd01 posted:

Paci retainer is a must.

Heners_UK posted:

Two muslins or light blankets to make an at seat privacy shroud for breastfeeding or napping.

Extra food and drink for the little one. Extra nappies. Ideally these things will just make you feel better. A few changes of clothes for kid and at least one for parents.

Tablet with Little Baby Bum shows from YouTube or Netflix, available offline. Even on mute young kids appear hypnotized by it.

(What I'll be doing shortly for my 11 month old) hide some toys now, or get new cheap ones, only give them over on the plane so they are new to the little one.

If renting a car at the end: decide the driver in advance, at some point in the flight they just have to get a bit of sleep no matter what so they are safe to drive.

Hell yeah thanks. We're getting picked up at the other end thank christ

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Our son is doing exactly the same. He also just rewarded us with almost 6 hours in between feedings and uninterrupted sleep, so maybe the problem isn’t with the formula.

It’s worth downloading the wonder weeks app as it helps map out a bit of this and takes a bit of the mystery out of things. Doesn’t make the sleepless nights disappear but helps you know you’re not going crazy. Also gives you an indication of skills your baby (may) pick up. It’s only a few dollars from memory.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

femcastra posted:

It’s worth downloading the wonder weeks app as it helps map out a bit of this and takes a bit of the mystery out of things. Doesn’t make the sleepless nights disappear but helps you know you’re not going crazy. Also gives you an indication of skills your baby (may) pick up. It’s only a few dollars from memory.

This is great. I actually bought the book and read about the fifth week maybe a month ago, but promptly forgot I had read it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

That's just developmental stuff. They change on a goddamn dime, that's for sure. Our kid loved his swing, then the very next day he suddenly didn't. He used to like being and sleeping in his car seat, now he arches his back and straightens his legs to avoid being put in it. He went straight from loving his play mat, to hating it, to loving it even more than he did before. Ours has changed so much even in the last week it's making our heads spin.

The Wonder Weeks as someone else mentioned really helps keep up with it a bit and you will notice correlations between how your kid is acting and what he's doing and what the app says to look for during his various leaps. It's been pretty spot-on for ours.

ninja edit: I've said this before, do what you feel is best, but I should point out that our pediatrician said not to use Windy the Gas Passer too much, as an undeveloped digestive system will have trouble not relying on it to relieve gas pressure and will hinder its development. She could be wrong, but it seems about right.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

2DEG posted:

According to this: http://www.babywill.org/sids-information/what-is-sids/sids-statistics

SIDS risk goes down significantly by 6-7 months of age. I might feel comfortable adding a blanket around 8-9 months because my guy is already pretty good about pushing things away from his face he doesn't like. But I guess there's still the risk of getting tangled up if they roll a lot? Everything is terrifying, sleep sacks until he's 20!

My kid is a few months away from 2 - we've been using sleepsacks since 6 months.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sheri posted:

Yeah, they're great.

Heners_UK posted:

We probably didn't switch to the sleep sack with holes for feet until maybe 2 or so.

We are using these "love to dream" things for our newborns and they seem to love them: https://www.target.com/p/love-to-dr...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They seem to like being able to keep their arms up, versus a swaddle.

Also, I think my babies have tapeworm or something. Four weeks old (and they were delivered right at 37 weeks), and they knocked down 110 ounces of milk between the two of them yesterday.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gvibes posted:

Yeah, they're great.

We probably didn't switch to the sleep sack with holes for feet until maybe 2 or so.

We are using these "love to dream" things for our newborns and they seem to love them: https://www.target.com/p/love-to-dr...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They seem to like being able to keep their arms up, versus a swaddle.

Also, I think my babies have tapeworm or something. Four weeks old (and they were delivered right at 37 weeks), and they knocked down 110 ounces of milk between the two of them yesterday.

Wow-isn't that like twice what they should be taking in? I think my pediatrician said something like 24-30 ounces a day is what we should aim for around that age, though I know some days he's surpassed 30 ounces. Kids gotta grow I suppose! Good on mom for keeping up with the breastmilk for that demand!

Having a kid is really trying to teach me that I need to let go of how structured I like things. He's amazing one day and then does the complete opposite of everything he did the next day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Heners_UK posted:

We put on socks. You can also just have the cuffs pulled over their feet instead of through.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

bollig posted:

Hell yeah thanks. We're getting picked up at the other end thank christ

Obvious one: But dont forget your car seat and a suitable box to protect it.

That leads me into lessons learned from our trip, especially the flight home yesterday:
* Bring a poo poo ton of tape for the box.
* Despite what Car Seat Facebook groups say, a Car Seat Technician Instructor (i.e. trains Techs) said a box, including those that are not the original one for the car seat, perfectly fine. With this in mind, I was regretting not going to UHaul to get a double walled one (as I did on my last trip) as I watched an xray machine make light work of eating the original car seat box.
* Try not to forget you have all those toys with you. I did forget to actually use some of them.
* You do not need to purchase a seat for your 0-2yr old but it doesn't hurt to ask if there's an unused one that can be between the two parents so you have more room. Oftentimes this can be accommodated at no charge and the cabin crew prefer children & parents are happier.
* It's easier to get things from the personal item at your feet than the bag above you.

But having said all of those lessons learned, even if applied they did not add up to a child who slept the entire 4.5hr plane ride home without a peep. Instead she fell asleep for ~20 min at the start before older children behind her started laughing at whatever was on their iPads. We then had over 4 hours of off-schedule, missed nap 11 month old going crackers on our laps. Tried all of the usual tricks but ultimately we just endured.

poo poo happens I guess.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

nwin posted:

Having a kid is really trying to teach me that I need to let go of how structured I like things. He's amazing one day and then does the complete opposite of everything he did the next day.

I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but just wait until he is mobile. Learning to walk is the most awesome and the WORST thing kids can do. Once they can get into poo poo, all (relative) order goes out the window. You spend your days cleaning up what they pull down, or keeping them from running into the street, and you learn to live life with one eye on your kid and another on whatever you are trying to accomplish in your day. It is exhausting.

Also, with reference to flying with children, I was advised by a flight attendant that buying a seat and using a carseat is the best bet for an enjoyable flight. Safety considerations aside, the kid is stuck in a chair so you have freedom of hands and you can eat with relative ease. Usually the comfort of a carseat will lull them into sleep, but even if that doesn't work they can't flail around and grab neighbors or throw stuff at other passengers. You can obviously take them out and walk around the airplane for fun, but it provides you an option to relax in an otherwise stressful situation. We bought seats for my 18-month old on a bunch of recent flights, even short hour-long hops, and it was awesome. Totally worth the extra money.

But lots of airlines don't offer milk on flights anymore, in economy anyway. So you have to bring your own, which can be a pain to bring through security. You may have to buy milk in the terminal, which can be pricey but it's worth it to keep your kid happy and full and makes them more likely to sleep on the plane and help their popping ears.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Haha you don’t come off like an rear end in a top hat, don’t worry. I’m realizing all of this and it’s a ton to take in. Everyone told us that our lives would change and I *thought* I understood what they meant, but I had no clue that literally every second of my time at home would completely wrap around what my kid’s doing.

My wife and I are trying to give each other one free hour a day to have our own alone time and workout/do whatever we want. We both used to workout 5-6 days a week before we had our son, so that’s been a rough transition. However, some days due to having a lovely night of sleep with him, by the time we get a chance to look at the clock it’s too late or we’re too tired to want to bother with doing anything at all. It’s frustrating when we have a day when we think we have it all figured out, and then the next day feel like we’ve been dragged through the mud all day and really don’t have the slightest clue what we’re doing.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
If it's not horribly cold where you live, you can take turns every night going for a walk with the baby. Mine konks out in his stroller or if he's extra fussy, I pop him in the lillebaby. Mine is 3 months old now and he fuckin loves when we roll out while he's in the carrier. All he wants to do is look around at everything and everyone until he passes out.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever dealt with a kid who's a sore loser? My almost 6 year old son hates hates hates losing at anything. He loves board games, but only if he wins. Same with video games (so I've stopped letting him play any sort of competitive video games because otherwise he legit has meltdowns about losing).

Today we were playing a new board game. It's completely luck-based, whoever gets lucky with dice wins. As soon as he saw that he might lose, he instantly started getting pissy, so I asked him to play nicely or we'd have to stop. He couldn't manage it, kept on grumbling and attempting to cheat, so I just packed away the game before he actually lost and we stopped playing.

He's also started getting upset sometimes, saying that his friends at school don't want to play with him at lunchtime, presumably because he cheats and/or is a sore loser there, too. So it's actively affecting his friendships, and I feel like I need to help him get over this before he starts alienating his friends.

I always model good behavior when we play games, and tell him that games are for fun, and while it's good to win, nobody can win all the time - but he just repeats 'but I WANT to win all the time' and it's like he can't see past that. He wants to win, therefore he should be allowed to win, and any other outcome means people are 'cheating him'.

Obviously him getting older will help, but are there any techniques or anything to fast track it that might have worked for any of you who faced the same thing?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

1up posted:

If it's not horribly cold where you live, you can take turns every night going for a walk with the baby. Mine konks out in his stroller or if he's extra fussy, I pop him in the lillebaby. Mine is 3 months old now and he fuckin loves when we roll out while he's in the carrier. All he wants to do is look around at everything and everyone until he passes out.

Boston, so that’s rarely an option, though we have done that a few days when it’s been above 40.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nwin posted:

Wow-isn't that like twice what they should be taking in? I think my pediatrician said something like 24-30 ounces a day is what we should aim for around that age, though I know some days he's surpassed 30 ounces. Kids gotta grow I suppose! Good on mom for keeping up with the breastmilk for that demand!
Yeah, probably double-ish. And she isn't quite keeping up with demand - "only" pumping 90-100 or so ounces a day (she has had oversupply issues in the past, but ravenous twins are a totally different deal). So supplementing with some formula.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey that’s still drat impressive-good for her!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Bardeh posted:

Anyone ever dealt with a kid who's a sore loser? My almost 6 year old son hates hates hates losing at anything. He loves board games, but only if he wins. Same with video games (so I've stopped letting him play any sort of competitive video games because otherwise he legit has meltdowns about losing).

Today we were playing a new board game. It's completely luck-based, whoever gets lucky with dice wins. As soon as he saw that he might lose, he instantly started getting pissy, so I asked him to play nicely or we'd have to stop. He couldn't manage it, kept on grumbling and attempting to cheat, so I just packed away the game before he actually lost and we stopped playing.

He's also started getting upset sometimes, saying that his friends at school don't want to play with him at lunchtime, presumably because he cheats and/or is a sore loser there, too. So it's actively affecting his friendships, and I feel like I need to help him get over this before he starts alienating his friends.

I always model good behavior when we play games, and tell him that games are for fun, and while it's good to win, nobody can win all the time - but he just repeats 'but I WANT to win all the time' and it's like he can't see past that. He wants to win, therefore he should be allowed to win, and any other outcome means people are 'cheating him'.

Obviously him getting older will help, but are there any techniques or anything to fast track it that might have worked for any of you who faced the same thing?

One thing I read is to play games like uno where there are a lot of losses and a lot of wins kind of wrapped up in the whole thing. Or als like playing a warmup round of chance based games and then rewarding the good behavior. Also what occurs to me is that there's some sort of behavior modeling thing that can be done with tantrums, where you sort of get them to act it out when they haven't actually experienced the triggering event. And then you practice how you should react. I'll try to dig this up, but if it rings a bell for anyone, I think the same theories could be applied. I'm not too clear on 6yos but when I was young I got a lot out of a heart to heart with my uncle about how losing is part of life. Another strategy which honestly I wish would work better but probably won't is to kind of put him in the 'other people's shoes'. So like don't you think the others want to win?

From what I can tell, this happens a lot and can also be a stage.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So first question: any suggestions for nap time for a 15 month old? She's NEVER been good at naps, but once we dropped down to 1 nap a day things dramatically improved. We went from two 30 minute naps a day (if we were lucky) to one solid 1+ hour nap. Sometimes she'll go for 2+ hours, it's fantastic.

However, 2 weekends ago she got sick on a Friday, and then there was a snow storm so day care was closed on Monday... so we had a 4 day weekend with her. Friday and Saturday she napped great, then something snapped and Sunday she refused to go down. Same with Monday. We thought it was just a disruption in the schedule, and she napped fine at day care the rest of the week...

And then this past weekend, she refused to nap at all. Day care can still get her down for 2 hours, but they've always been better at getting her to nap.

Thoughts? Naps have always been a struggle, but just when we thought we were winning she throws us a curveball. Par for the course, but still frustrating especially with Christmas coming up. Don't want to go 10 days without a nap...

VorpalBunny posted:

Also, with reference to flying with children,

Any suggestions? The last time we flew was infant in arms and she was still breast feeding. For Christmas we bought her a seat, and I've heard all sorts of horror stories regarding the car seat. We have a massive Britax Advocate, but I've read several anecdotes online that it will fit despite any flight attendant's protests. I also found all the FAA guidance that says they have to accommodate us, but I still worry that we'll have to fight over the car seat... and given that it's holiday travel, I expect them to have short fuses.

Also how do you get regular milk through security? I checked the TSA site and they only list formula, breast milk, and juice (?). Regular milk isn't on there... we have several 6oz cartons of shelf stable milk that we'd love to bring with for the flight, but I can't see how to get that through security.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

So first question: any suggestions for nap time for a 15 month old? She's NEVER been good at naps, but once we dropped down to 1 nap a day things dramatically improved. We went from two 30 minute naps a day (if we were lucky) to one solid 1+ hour nap. Sometimes she'll go for 2+ hours, it's fantastic.

However, 2 weekends ago she got sick on a Friday, and then there was a snow storm so day care was closed on Monday... so we had a 4 day weekend with her. Friday and Saturday she napped great, then something snapped and Sunday she refused to go down. Same with Monday. We thought it was just a disruption in the schedule, and she napped fine at day care the rest of the week...

And then this past weekend, she refused to nap at all. Day care can still get her down for 2 hours, but they've always been better at getting her to nap.

Thoughts? Naps have always been a struggle, but just when we thought we were winning she throws us a curveball. Par for the course, but still frustrating especially with Christmas coming up. Don't want to go 10 days without a nap...

That sounds brutal. Do you think it could be that she has developed an expectation of having her teachers at daycare put her down? She will eventually lose steam, probably, but how is she sleeping at night? My son SUUUUCKS at naps (he's 7mo) but he's recently been insanely better at sleeping at night, sometimes only waking up once a night (a huge improvement if you've seen previous posts) unless you count last night where he woke up every 2 hours again for no reason. His TEACHERS can't get him down at daycare but here at home he will almost melt into our arms and go to sleep for a nap and yesterday before I got him to daycare he slept in his crib for 2 hours, which is really, really rare for him to go so long.

I just wonder if it's a change in environment and/or people where she expects a certain thing from one set of people to the point it ain't happening with y'all for right now. I hope that isn't the case for your sake.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

So first question: any suggestions for nap time for a 15 month old?

Any suggestions? The last time we flew was infant in arms and she was still breast feeding.

Also how do you get regular milk through security? I checked the TSA site and they only list formula, breast milk, and juice (?). Regular milk isn't on there... we have several 6oz cartons of shelf stable milk that we'd love to bring with for the flight, but I can't see how to get that through security.

Our oldest stopped taking naps right before 2, that time may be coming soon. As long as she was quiet in her room, we let her play until she decided she wanted to sleep or not. Eventually we just set a timer for her for rest time. It took a bit of training though, especially once she figured out how to climb the baby gate.

Skip the carseat and box/check it, carryon a stroller instead. Just put the kid in your lap, they can deal for a flight or two. Bring plenty of food/toys to keep the kid entertained and you will be fine. People are generally accommodating, they recognize the kind of hell you'll be in especially if you're doing everything in your power to keep the kid quiet. :) If you can get two seats side by side, great. One holds the kid, the other supports keeping everyone sane.

We flew with twin infants and (then) 3 year old girl back in march, with a layover. Then home with a layover. Then all over again one more time. With carseats for all three. We planned every detail and thank god the kids were champs, otherwise my anxiety would have been way higher than it was. The boys basically fell asleep right after takeoff on every flight and woke up just in time to eat some snacks and play a bit before landing. The oldest behaved well, we treated it like a big adventure, and she was responsible for keeping her elephant safe. We each had a baby in our lap and the oldest had a seat as well. Because there weren't enough masks in a row for everyone, we had to sit one row back from each other and pass stuff back and forth. We also had a twin umbrella stroller to deal with, as well as our carryons and all the poo poo we needed to keep the kids and us sane.

As long as it's for the baby they should let it through, but be prepared to dump/toss and buy inside depending on how the TSA is feeling that day. You will likely have to get it swabbed, so plan that time in.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DaveSauce posted:

Our kid is 2 now but has also been really hard to get to nap at home, but naps great everywhere else. Even when we go out of town to other peoples houses I can put him down for a nap without too much trouble, but at home he just doesn't want to do it. So...for us it seems to be location based. I'm not sure if it's FOMO or what. We also sometimes will just take him for a stroller ride and he'll pass out and we can sometimes transfer him to a cushion on the floor or the couch after that.

Is your daycare using a crib or a cushion on the floor? Might also want to copy their setup as closely as possible.

Honestly though he ends up spending a lot of weekend naps in the car because we'll go do a morning activity and then he'll fall asleep in the car seat on the way back and we'll end up running errands or something while he naps.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

You could buy a cheapo carseat for travel - we got the Evenflo tribute for under $50 and it only weighs 10lbs compared to our regular seat which is a beast.

I carried regular milk through security by putting it in a baby bottle (how do they know it’s not formula or boob milk?) and then pouring it into a straw cup for my son to drink.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The Cosco Scenera NEXT is like $35 at Walmart and works perfectly for traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My 4-year old will be 5 in March, and he still needs naps. The only way he goes down is at daycare, so we have him there really just for naps. I am stay-at-home and could keep him with me, but he refuses to nap at home. It will be a mystery how he handles kindergarten next year, since we figure he'll still need naps. We are bracing for the worst.

DaveSauce posted:

Any suggestions? The last time we flew was infant in arms and she was still breast feeding. For Christmas we bought her a seat, and I've heard all sorts of horror stories regarding the car seat. We have a massive Britax Advocate, but I've read several anecdotes online that it will fit despite any flight attendant's protests. I also found all the FAA guidance that says they have to accommodate us, but I still worry that we'll have to fight over the car seat... and given that it's holiday travel, I expect them to have short fuses.

Regarding flying, we filled as many bottles as we had with milk and took them through security. We tried bringing through an inexpensive sealed bottle of milk, this was in England, and they gave me a lot of grief. And some in-flight meals for kids provide milk, so we hoarded what we could from my other kids.

I gave in to her fussing and gave her a bottle before takeoff, I should have held onto it for takeoff to help her popping ears. It occurs to me we could have experimented with powdered milk, maybe we'll do that on our next big international trip in March.

We bought a cheap, light carseat for flights and international rental cars (you can Google it, I don't know the brand offhand), and a lightweight backpack to carry it in through airports. The older kids sat in regular airplane seats and we carried folding booster seats and mifolds onto the plane. We also bought a Summer Infant 3d lite stroller, and it survived tons of rough terrain. It lies flat for naps, has a deep storage bin underneath, and the handles are high so you don't stoop over to push it. And it was also relatively cheap, compared to other folding strollers.

My #1 piece of advice is to make friends with the flight attendants. We usually preboard, and I make sure to introduce myself to the flight attendants in our area and make sure my kids know who they are. And we try to be the last to deplane. Not only is the stuff you gate checked still being unloaded, you also get awesome flight attendant gossip. On a recent flight, a major rap star was in first class and the crew could not stop complaining about his behavior. It was awesome.

I try to minimize our impact on other passengers, we keep running around the aisles to a minimum unless it's a really long flight. All rules of screentime and snacking go out the window for us on a plane, all older kids get tablets (it's really their only tablet time so they really look forward to it) and I throw food at them all to keep them quiet. One flight from SFO-Sydney my youngest stayed awake and ate pretzels nonstop for 9 hours. He still talks of that flight fondly.