Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The season after DvG has four returnees so... 'a little bit' being three seasons, I guess.

Full returnees, at least. I don't mind Captains seasons because the returnees actually tend not to win those. I'm guessing this was done because they really wanted those four people to play again but they don't fit into whatever full returnee theme they're undoubtedly cooking up for season 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zesty posted:

Kara's mom died before this season aired. She talks about it in interviews and some online confessionals. We're not seeing it in the show because she doesn't win.

Likewise, we're getting a lot of Nick and Davie for a reason.

The show has always gone out of it's way to get the audience on board with the winner. They're better about it this season, but there's still some nobodies going into finale because they don't want the audience too invested in them.

That last line seems true, I feel like it's been a long time since I've been unhappy with a winner.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If a David wins individual immunity at F6 (at least a 2/6 chance, probably higher) the Goliaths can’t vote split. Even if a David gets voted out at F6 there’s still a David left at F5, and they’ll have another opportunity to either win immunity or find an idol. Then they’ll have multiple chances to save themselves yet again at F4 between the challenge and fire. Production made it that way because they want rootable winners, and Im extremely confident production is dropping an idol somewhere that guarantees a player will find it. Goliaths have to find it and keep it out of David hands or those David odds go way up. Id compare being a Goliath right now to being in first place in the last lap of Mario kart :razzy: it’s not going to be easy driving it home.

I do hope a David wins but I hope it’s bevause of Angelina doing something really absurd. That’d be my ideal outcome.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 19, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reminder that the only Goliath to have found an idol was Dan.

The Goliaths are doomed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How about this for a twist, the idol is too easy to find and Angelina stumbles onto it accidentally, fulfilling the E1 prophesy of a woman finding an idol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Fast Luck posted:

How about this for a twist, the idol is too easy to find and Angelina stumbles onto it accidentally, fulfilling the E1 prophesy of a woman finding an idol

I've been wondering about that too. I don't know how that'll manifest but i definitely feel like they put it there to pay off tonight

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As is well noted I don't take much to the edit reading that says a David has to pull this out but I do totally agree that the end game is all entirely designed to give players like Nick and Davie as many chances as they can get to salvage their games. So should be a fun night.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
am i the only one that isn't very excited at all to watch this finale? like i'm actually not sure i'm even going to watch it because imo this went from a great season to meh within the last few weeks, especially with christian gone and every other charismatic person already voted out as well, except for maybe davie.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm eager to watch the finale, but I'm approaching with more trepidation than excitement. I have a sinking feeling that I'll be unhappy with the winner (I'd love to see Nick or Davie win), but have some hope. And I think on the back end I'll be able to convince myself that whoever wins was a fine winner.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Luvcow posted:

am i the only one that isn't very excited at all to watch this finale? like i'm actually not sure i'm even going to watch it because imo this went from a great season to meh within the last few weeks, especially with christian gone and every other charismatic person already voted out as well, except for maybe davie.

I'd have preferred to have Christian in F6, and I think the season is definitely poorer without him. But it's at least ostensibly a legitimate competition, and if it didn't have stakes it wouldn't be compelling. I like that Mike was so involved in the Christian boot because it makes him much less of a goat and the finale is going to be more interesting for it.

I'm fine with any of the remaining players winning, though my reasons range from legitimate admiration of their game (Davie) to a weird, self-destructive love for chaos (Angelina)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Survivor’s weird for me. I don’t watch any other reality tv so I don’t know if this is standard but the merge / middle or the season is normally the most enjoyable for me.

I’m excited for the finale tribal and the preview of next season :)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really watch Survivor for my "favorite". I mean, I have them, obviously, but when Christian gets voted out it doesn't kill the game for me. I've enjoyed this cast and game/season, I don't really know how this is all going to play out, the two players in obvious trouble have a history of scrambling hard and Survivor sets it up to give players like that a chance, and even if they lose I don't really dislike anyone else so I won't be upset or anything by the winner. Is there a solid chance the winner underwhelms me and the season ends a little soft? Yeah. But Nick and Davie should keep like the first half of the episode interesting at lsast. So I think something really drastic and unexpected will have to happen for me to be unhappy tonight, even though I might not be ecstatic or anything.

Tldr: It's been a fun game and a likable cast so closure is enough for me to look forward to even if Allison wins.

Dugong posted:

Survivor’s weird for me. I don’t watch any other reality tv so I don’t know if this is standard but the merge / middle or the season is normally the most enjoyable for me.

I’m excited for the finale tribal and the preview of next season :)

I think it's similar with a lot of these games. The game is at it's most exciting when there's a lot of moving parts and fluid possibilities. As it goes on and people get eliminated the possibilities narrow and things get less exciting. So fans tend to either get really invested in a "pony" winning it all or get disillusioned on a "bad winner".

The same can be said for like sports. Playoffs are most fun early on theres lots of teams and games and possibilities for upsets. Late in when it's down to 2 or 4 teams then how much you enjoy it rests heavily on the quality of play and how you feel about the teams. Meanwhile the most exciting sports event is the first weekend of March Madness when 64 teams are playing it out nonstop and all kinds of crazy is happening somewhere.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2018

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish I could watch live and discuss with you all, but I'm in the Mountain Time zone. See you all in a few hours!!

I'm ridiculously excited for the finale. I have had a hellish week at work, especially today. My brain feels like I've been awake for 3 days. I have Cheez Its and wine and its gonna be a great night.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

it's time :neckbeard:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I legitimately wouldn't have recognized Kara if I didn't already know which one she was by process of elimination

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinball league season is over and I've had my nap so I'm ready to :justpost:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

hope she manages to gently caress this up

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Giant ladder.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
hahahaha

This is peak Angelina

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Angelina pls find it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A 63 piece puzzle? Not loving around.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wonder Woman struggling with the lasso 😒

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

wonder woman real bad at throwing a lasso

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
wow, that was intense

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vampire Nick! I hope Angelina spills on the idol clue for some reason

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Angelina needs that reward time to find her idol. :ohdear:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Angelina could have DIED on top of that rock where she didn't find the idol! What a brave, brave woman.

I hope someone else finds the clue, climbs up the rock without a ladder, and finds the idol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AWarmBody posted:

Angelina could have DIED on top of that rock where she didn't find the idol! What a brave, brave woman.

I hope someone else finds the clue, climbs up the rock without a ladder, and finds the idol

extremely :same:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
And with that, Kaoh Rong's record of most unique immunity winners is officially broken. Good job, Nick. :golfclap:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lollin at this cheers juxtaposition, editing has been unreal this season

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How are Davie and Nick suddenly a tight pair again :psyduck:
We missed a reconciliation in there

Fast Luck posted:

Vampire Nick! I hope Angelina spills on the idol clue for some reason
:m bison yes:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lol how many wines did Mike have.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sadly it's too late in the game for Mike to build a resume for Best Drunk.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'VE BEEN DRIVING THE LAST THREE VOTES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell was also on the last season of Australian Survivor. He went in thinking he was a God and then got voted out with an idol pretty much right away lol.

Hahaha I was checking out the australian version and saw the start of that season. I kind of got the feeling that it was basically just a promotional appearance more than anything.

Also this season had this psycho dude named Ben and he was the most hateable character I've seen in anything in a long time. He even looked like a movie villain, shock of white hair and devilish wolf eyes. I just wish he'd said that poo poo today so he could have gotten a proper raking over his open racism, they got a little heated back then, but you could tell it was still kind of taboo to even accuse someone of being racist when they are being racist.

and oh poo poo forgot the finale was on!? regret not sorting out a legit way to watch it live last week.

edit: gently caress it, cbs all access you win this time.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 20, 2018

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

curiousCat posted:

I'VE BEEN DRIVING THE LAST THREE VOTES

I feel like a mob boss right now

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Sadly it's too late in the game for Mike to build a resume for Best Drunk.

never too late, my friend.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Who’s the mob boss gonna put the hit on

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god tv commercials forever

also I'm not used to not being able to skip ahead and see who gets voted off

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Who’s the mob boss gonna put the hit on

her own chances at getting votes, at this rate.