Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

My brother's wife's sister has been sneaking copies of snatch into his household DVD collection for awhile now, and when I was there for Thanksgiving last year they suddenly realized they had 6 copies of Snatch in their movie collection. So for Christmas that year I anonymously sent them a copy of the screenplay of Snatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

VideoGames posted:

I am on holiday and have decided to finish up a few things in Yakuza 0. I now own all of the first four billionaire properties with all of them at a and s rank :D

Just waiting on the money to collect so I can start on the media king! I did the fortune teller quest and something just clicked that huge grade school kid with the blonde hair is the person on the box art for kiwami 2 I think? I had a look at the cases to see what Majima looked like and he seems to only be on 0. I do not quite recognise who is next to Kiryu on kiwami 1 but the only character with blonde hair is on the kiwami 2 box. :D

No idea what the eight kids means though!

The fortune teller essentially "spoils" the rest of the series but in an extremely vague way. And yea, that box art thing is what made me lose my poo poo when it was announced :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never even saw the fortune teller.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never even saw the fortune teller.

A bunch of the substories with direct references to other games (fortune teller, ryuji, shinji) don't happen til really late in the game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I never saw Shinji :(

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’m maybe 8, 9 chapters into Heavy Rain and have some issues.

1 - In the prologue, the dad walks around picking up things and looking at them, or in the case of toys plays with them. My dude picks up an RC car remote control off the dining room floor, races it about grinning to himself and PUTS IT BACK ON THE FLOOR. I’d leave his rear end too, dead kid or no!

2a - He picks a refrigerated roast dinner chicken and serves it up after about three seconds in the microwave. That’s not thoroughly cooked or (if precooked) warmed doofus! Bad parenting!

2b - My kid eats two bites and throws the rest away (no faulting him there, it’s cold rear end chicken and veggies) but does so by plopping the entire uneaten chicken leg and sides into the sink. This is an entire family of monsters.

3 - While investigating a crime scene, a detective uses VR magic to determine some origami likely cake from “the origami store.” But I mean like, it’s just paper? Dude could just make it? Does not follow!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're going to list every stupid thing in Heavy Rain we might be here a while

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haha I’ve never noticed that!

One of my favorite little details is that corpses left in the wild will decompose and have animals eat them. I’ve also noticed that the construction projects around the world actually progress and get finished over time. Rockstar owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vme7J_lEC08

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

friede is like the worst boss in the series

Needed to jump back on this as I just read it and what the gently caress how can someone be so wrong about Souls bosses.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’m maybe 8, 9 chapters into Heavy Rain and have some issues.

1 - In the prologue, the dad walks around picking up things and looking at them, or in the case of toys plays with them. My dude picks up an RC car remote control off the dining room floor, races it about grinning to himself and PUTS IT BACK ON THE FLOOR. I’d leave his rear end too, dead kid or no!

2a - He picks a refrigerated roast dinner chicken and serves it up after about three seconds in the microwave. That’s not thoroughly cooked or (if precooked) warmed doofus! Bad parenting!

2b - My kid eats two bites and throws the rest away (no faulting him there, it’s cold rear end chicken and veggies) but does so by plopping the entire uneaten chicken leg and sides into the sink. This is an entire family of monsters.

3 - While investigating a crime scene, a detective uses VR magic to determine some origami likely cake from “the origami store.” But I mean like, it’s just paper? Dude could just make it? Does not follow!

Please keep posting these impressions, it only gets dumber as the game continues.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I am on holiday and have decided to finish up a few things in Yakuza 0. I now own all of the first four billionaire properties with all of them at a and s rank :D

Just waiting on the money to collect so I can start on the media king! I did the fortune teller quest and something just clicked that huge grade school kid with the blonde hair is the person on the box art for kiwami 2 I think? I had a look at the cases to see what Majima looked like and he seems to only be on 0. I do not quite recognise who is next to Kiryu on kiwami 1 but the only character with blonde hair is on the kiwami 2 box. :D

No idea what the eight kids means though!

That character you don't recognise is a fairly big player throughout the main story of Yakuza 0, the hair is just different!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Akuma posted:

That character you don't recognise is a fairly big player throughout the main story of Yakuza 0, the hair is just different!

jfc I missed a lot of this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fifteen of Many posted:

Iiirc, it's made from a specific kind of paper and that's the glasses pick up on. Granted, it just ignores the possibility of ordering over the internet, but for the purpose of moving a story forward it's not that bad a lead to follow.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm working on getting the platinum in Detroit, and the more I play it, the more I realize how cringey and hilarious everything is. I was playing the segment with the cop inspecting the house for any androids, and I just left my controller alone with Kara staring towards the kitchen while the cop asks "Are there any androids here?". Like, if this was real it would be so drat goofy and obvious, I was cracking up. And of course the "your free now" poo poo made me wonder how rushed the script got at a point.

I could post so much more, but I'll leave that for another time.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 19, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Akuma posted:

Ahh! I figured it out. I studied it again and can see it now. I did not know you would get to control them in the next one :D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

veni veni veni posted:

Allright I think I'm sold on the 600s. One last question though. Do they have a 3.5mm jack in the rare event I want to use them on Xbox without buying the weird Xbox version?

If you get the 600’s can you post a little follow up? I’m in exactly your shoes, my Gold headset likes to drop out a second or two at a time during heated moments and is now more duct tape than original brittle plastic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Ahh! I figured it out. I studied it again and can see it now. I did not know you would get to control them in the next one :D

:sweatdrop:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manage your expectations, VG, not every Yakuza game has multiple protagonists - unfortunately :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly the story is tighter with just one protagonist

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Needed to jump back on this as I just read it and what the gently caress how can someone be so wrong about Souls bosses.

Some DS3DLC spoilers ahead:

In a series with some real stinkers, she's certainly not the worst, but she may be one of the worst of her archetype. I think if you mashed the first 2 phases into a Gargoyles-type "new boss enters when another boss gets down to a certain level" and then checkpointed the fight at the fakeout it would be a lot better. Ideally I would like Friede Unleashed to be part of the same health bar as the other 2 phases but the fakeout would be a genuinely neat subversion if it weren't for the stuff surrounding it. Already giving the second phase it's own bar is already not great, but then when Friede almost inevitably wrecks your poo poo, you have to do the whole fight again, fakeout included. I think the section would ultimately be improved if it considered Friede Unleashed a separate boss fight. She can certainly stand on her own considering her speed and damage output.

That doesn't solve all my issues with Friede but it would certainly be a big improvement, to me. DS3, in general, just goes too hard for my liking compared to the other Souls games. It feels like it wants to be both DS1 and Bloodborne and the ensuing identity crisis makes it less than either.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Isn't Yak 4 or 5 the one with 4 protagonists?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5 has 5 technically

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I still haven't finished BB or touched the DLC in it because something distracted me during my last playthrough and my skills atrophied, and going back to it probably means starting over.

Friend! No need to start over. You can just go tool around in the Chalice Dungeons until your skills gets up and running again without needing to retread the whole game.

…I keep telling myself. Last I played, I was stopped at Ludwig in the DLC and The One Reborn in the main. Need to get back up to speed before I can face those again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

This thread is now a room full of adults on Christmas Eve trying to think how to explain to the little kid that the very small package he is holding does not have the console he asked for

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Old Hunters is incredibly easy if you suicide rush the whirligig saw and gatling gun, put everything into hp, strength and just enough stamina for a few swings, and two hand your way to victory while occasionally laying down suppressing fire with the gat (especially since it stunlocks enemies).

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

After losing the will to 100% RDR2 last night I fired up Onrush and I'm glad I did. If you have PS+ and you have any interest in it try it out ASAP because it's great.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Launch day PS4:
2196 hours across 209 games (this seems to be way less than some of you considering I've had it for 5 years):
1) 164h - The Witcher 3
2) 120h - Bloodborne
3) 105h - MGSV

Rarest Trophy - Surf n' Turf - Overcooked 2 :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RBA Starblade posted:

The Old Hunters is incredibly easy if you suicide rush the whirligig saw and gatling gun, put everything into hp, strength and just enough stamina for a few swings, and two hand your way to victory while occasionally laying down suppressing fire with the gat (especially since it stunlocks enemies).

I do something similar for DS3. Butt rush the great club, dump everything into strength and health, then enjoy planting everyone and everything into bedrock.

Bonus points for wearing the Thrall Hood because it’s the best hat in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BisterdDave posted:

I'm working on getting the platinum in Detroit, and the more I play it, the more I realize how cringey and hilarious everything is. I was playing the segment with the cop inspecting the house for any androids, and I just left my controller alone with Kara staring towards the kitchen while the cop asks "Are there any androids here?". Like, if this was real it would be so drat goofy and obvious, I was cracking up. And of course the "your free now" poo poo made me wonder how rushed the script got at a point.

I could post so much more, but I'll leave that for another time.

Detroit is really a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything about the game that wasn't a hamfisted analogy to the civil rights movement - everything involving the buddy cop drama was awesome, most of Kara's stuff was cool, everything involving Markus was dumb the way it was written.

Also the one thing that boggles my mind is how much people absolutely hate androids in this world. Like, just general, absolute hatred. In today's world there are people that personify electronic devices that talk that don't even appear human, the idea that society would as a whole turn against these things is crazy. Sure, there'd be people that hate them and such, especially if they lost jobs, but like there's a woman who is beating her android when he carries her stuff, because he falls or something (something like that in the intro). Ridiculous.

Oh also, it's kind of weird how people are portrayed as villainous in some of the scenes. Like the aforementioned lady beating her android. She's obviously supposed to look like a piece of poo poo to us, because we have the overall context of what the game is about. But to her, it's...well, a thing. It's like if you had a malfunctioning shopping cart, you'd get angry at it and smack it around maybe because gently caress it, it's a cart. Sure, we as players know that androids are more than that, but in the broad social context of the game's world, they're not. They're simply things that are built and bought. But the portrayal of these people who abuse androids is always like they're sinister assholes who know no joy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who beats up expensive things they bought? Do you slap your phone and kick your car in anger?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Uh, yeah, lots of people do that if the device is loving up a lot. It's not necessarily productive or rational but it's very common.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe your phone would gently caress up less if it wasn’t being physically assaulted

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Shhh shhh it’s ok Siri he can’t hurt you anymore

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it's very bad friend

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rolo posted:

If you get the 600’s can you post a little follow up? I’m in exactly your shoes, my Gold headset likes to drop out a second or two at a time during heated moments and is now more duct tape than original brittle plastic.

Will do. I should have them by Friday.

Edit: actually GameStop has them for the same price so I’ll probably just grab them tonight.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 19, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Who beats up expensive things they bought? Do you slap your phone and kick your car in anger?

Well yeah, it's a learned behavior. The Fonz and cartoons taught me that if something's messing up, hit it and maybe that'll fix it. The usual suspect is flashlights but sometimes TVs or the remote.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

People definitely do that, it's cathartic to beat the poo poo out of something that's frustrating you. And if your expensive thing is shaped convincingly like a human being, then you're getting the added satisfaction of dominating another person. Even more cathartic!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Steve Yun posted:

I don't, because like you said, it's an expensive thing. It cost me money. This phone can break!

Which is why it's even more baffling that people are beating these androids they purchased. That cost a decent chunk of change! What if it broke?

Oh, so I bought Sundered a couple days ago due to the sale, and suddenly I hear a special 'Eldritch' edition is being released, with a new area, quest chain, and local co-op. Aw dang, I think, I just bought it! Should've waited! But then I read this:

"And to be clear, yes, all existing players on PC/Mac/Linux and PlayStation 4 will be seeing their copies updated to Eldritch Edition for FREE on the 21st as well."

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It turns out that I still suck at the flying stages in Spyro games.