Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
So what are people mostly doing on radios? I'm imagining a bunch of disaster preppers in bunkers swapping tips on storing ammunition, or eccentric retirees chatting in morse code all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

The FCC has rejected my name change, because they probably want a copy of the court document.

Yet, there's no place to upload a scan of said court document.

:effort:

I know :effort: but just paper file a 605 and shove a copy of the court docs in the envelope.

Here: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support/fcc-form-605

Even more specific: https://www.fcc.gov/file/12944/download

I've done my mediocre deed for the day.

Pixelante posted:

So what are people mostly doing on radios? I'm imagining a bunch of disaster preppers in bunkers swapping tips on storing ammunition, or eccentric retirees chatting in morse code all day.

If you get on 80 it's mostly the equivalent of shitposting.

But you pretty much have it down.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Motronic posted:

I know :effort: but just paper file a 605 and shove a copy of the court docs in the envelope.

Here: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support/fcc-form-605

Even more specific: https://www.fcc.gov/file/12944/download

I've done my mediocre deed for the day.

If you get on 80 it's mostly the equivalent of shitposting.

But you pretty much have it down.

This is actually really helpful. I'll do that on Monday. Thank you!

It's a lot more helpful than the actual FCC was.

:science: :hf: :science:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Pixelante posted:

There's definitely a doomsday nutjob contingency in the amateur radio community, but fortunately they're far outnumbered by people who are focused on being able to reestablish emergency communications during natural disasters or civil defense situations.

Unfortunately, I've been able to pick up virtually zero radio traffic where I live because of a fluke of local topography, but hams tend to be a mix of talkative retirees, younger people trying new digital modes, and folks who found something that piqued their interest in radio and/or emergency communications.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The prepper folks are actually pretty handy if you have questions about off-grid solar and similar topics. Just don't hang around for their investment or political advice.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
We had our medium wind storm Friday with power outages and Internet disruptions. A group was on a local 2m repeater discussing local conditions, providing wind reports, and other helpful ideas. I tried to check in, but... apartment :argh: I could only hit the repeater tone with my 5W handheld but couldn't get any voice through.

As people move entirely to Internet-provided media, that means some people will have no means to receive any information unless cell towers and switching stations are still operating. I don't know how much that's different from 30yr ago, but people probably don't have favorite radio stations where they routinely get news.

Most population centers have ARES and RACES net meetings and trainings. Seattle emergency management includes auxillary communication by a licensed amateur when active. During the 2006(?) snow storms I was walking around giving reports; (hiker, I have winter gear). We knew about bus problems before the city did.

I really want to do NTS over CW. The antenna thing is killing me.

Qu Appelle posted:

The FCC has rejected my name change, because they probably want a copy of the court document.

Yet, there's no place to upload a scan of said court document.

:effort:
You probably have to send them a letter. Better yet get on a local net, find someone that does packet, and send a fax to a ham that lives close enough to walk your letter to the FCC office. :buddy:

But it probably has to be a notorized document.

Aaaand as far as I know NTS supports no radio telegram format that includes facsimile images. Given all the packet people, this is kinda an interesting limitation, but I guess it hasn't been around long enough yet.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I looked up ways to listen to radio signals online and I got this confusing thing. Can anyone explain how to use it properly? I'd love to be able to snoop around local stuff, but haven't a clue how to find it. (I live at roughly the farthest south/west point of Canada, on Vancouver Island.)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
To be able to listen to local stuff online, someone physically near you needs to set up an antenna to receive signals, then pipe them through their receiver into the internet and tell webSDR about it so they can post the link.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Pixelante posted:

I looked up ways to listen to radio signals online and I got this confusing thing. Can anyone explain how to use it properly? I'd love to be able to snoop around local stuff, but haven't a clue how to find it. (I live at roughly the farthest south/west point of Canada, on Vancouver Island.)

There are only two Canadian listings on that page.

http://radman.no-ip.ca:8901/ This one currently has some activity. It takes a minute to get through the initial static (for some reason) but you can see where signals are on the waterfall display and the yellow symbol underneath shows where you're tuned and how wide your reception range is. It's one of those things that you have to play around with a little bit to get a feel for, but the UI is just about identical on all of the pages linked from websdr.org so you can poke around all over the place once you've gotten the basics somewhere.

Edit: Oh yeah. Do not start playing around using headphones at any real volume. You will end up scaring the crap out of yourself when the band drops out or something else causes a huge burst of loud static.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
Ordered an HF rig, but the soonest it'll show up is Monday, so I've been killing some time with the DMR handheld I've had for the longest time to see if I've got it working right. Got in touch with a guy from Las Vegas :dance:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It is cool to see this thread this active, signed this dipshit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pebble and the Penguin posted:

Ordered an HF rig, but the soonest it'll show up is Monday, so I've been killing some time with the DMR handheld I've had for the longest time to see if I've got it working right. Got in touch with a guy from Las Vegas :dance:

I've poo poo on the internet linked networks for years, then I bought an MD380 so i could play digital with sniep and turns out it's fun as hell. Sure it's not the last-bastion emergency fallback communications medium that an HF rig and a pile of wire is, but it's really entertaining to bop around the talkgroups and listen in to different regional/national stuff.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
finally, a reason for an ultrawide display

every time i pull out this SDR USB stick it makes me smile, even just if for FM radio lol

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Okay, I've got time this holiday, so I'm going to dig into studying as soon as work slows down a little. Apparently fountain pens were just a gateway hobby to old weird stuff.

Additional questions: how expensive is this hobby? What would it cost to get a basic but functional set-up? And can a luddite manage assembling it on her own? Also, I live in a small deadzone for cell reception; is that going to play into what I can reach by radio antenna or is that a totally different thing?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pixelante posted:

Okay, I've got time this holiday, so I'm going to dig into studying as soon as work slows down a little. Apparently fountain pens were just a gateway hobby to old weird stuff.

Additional questions: how expensive is this hobby? What would it cost to get a basic but functional set-up? And can a luddite manage assembling it on her own? Also, I live in a small deadzone for cell reception; is that going to play into what I can reach by radio antenna or is that a totally different thing?

It can be expensive but before you get into any of it you should consider how much space you have for antennas, since that will be a huge factor in determining what you can do.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cell phone reception is largely dependent on a direct line of sight to the tower. The frequencies cells use aren’t very flexible, while something like HF can bounce around all over the world and you can pick up people from North Africa in South California.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It can be expensive but before you get into any of it you should consider how much space you have for antennas, since that will be a huge factor in determining what you can do.

Define "space"? I've already got a cell signal repeater strapped to the deck above my place to help with the phone reception. Wouldn't be too hard to bribe the building manager to zip-tie something up with it. I live in an area with very few tall buildings. I'm very close to the water-level, though.

Where's a good place to shop for equipment? (Canadian.)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

finally, a reason for an ultrawide display

every time i pull out this SDR USB stick it makes me smile, even just if for FM radio lol

What software is that ? I just started playing around with an RTL-SDR stick last night with sdr#. Its pretty drat cool. I have no idea what I'm doing other than listening into a few of the 70cm stations so far in my area. But the interface makes me feel like i'm in the movie contact :science:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pixelante posted:

Define "space"? I've already got a cell signal repeater strapped to the deck above my place to help with the phone reception. Wouldn't be too hard to bribe the building manager to zip-tie something up with it. I live in an area with very few tall buildings. I'm very close to the water-level, though.

Where's a good place to shop for equipment? (Canadian.)

"Space" in terms of HF antennas is pretty large if you're looking for optimal. A basic dipole is 1/2 wave length - so 40 meters long if you want to operate on 80 meters effectively. It's basically a piece of wire that needs to be supported on both sides and the feed line will connect to the center.

If that's not the kind of space you have there are hundreds of other things you could try. There are end-fed dipoles if you cold strap something to a tree on one side and your deck on the other. There are mast type antennas you can use (hamsticks) which are really designed for mobile or portable use but work great for limited space.

You don't even need anything permanent - you could set something like this up on a tripod and throw it on your deck/in the yard when you're using it.

Now if you're only talking about VHF/UHF you may be able to operate perfectly fine with nothing more than a hand held radio.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mashed_penguin posted:

What software is that ?

Rather new to it myself, just installed it a couple nights ago on a lark - HDSDR

http://www.hdsdr.de/

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Sniep posted:

just installed it a couple nights ago on a lark
Now you can fire up rfc1149 and do digital packet transmission.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Before I went mad and started buying Yaesus, I really liked SDR# for running RTLSDR sticks. HDSDR is very pretty, but the interface is bad even for ham software.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Totally Reasonable posted:

HDSDR is very pretty, but the interface is bad even for ham software.

i can't tell the difference between it any any other ham s/w UI/UX

it's all poo poo

you just learn where the brain genious put the buttons that do the things and dwi, as far as i am concerned

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Sniep posted:

i can't tell the difference between it any any other ham s/w UI/UX

it's all poo poo

you just learn where the brain genious put the buttons that do the things and dwi, as far as i am concerned

hdsdr good for compability with radio program software / radios and hamrig control
sdr# good for waterfall pretty and spyserver streaming and plugins

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
Broke off a small retaining hinge holding a panel on this RS-978 I got 'cause I didn't take the hint and realize the last screw holding the panel in place was underneath a sticker. :cripes:

so yeah that's my ham radio story for the day.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

God I wish Yaesu would go out of business with their lovely UIs and terrible digital system.

Someone in our club was trying to explain all the crap they had to buy and how to set it up to set up our club’s Fusion VHF repeater for Wires-X and I felt terrible saying that we’re not going to do it, FM only, cause one of our users had to piss away hundreds of dollars to attempt this.

Amateur is right they are really amateur hour.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Luckily, Yaesu menus are so bad that you have to be an extremely dedicated dipshit to use their horrible digital system.

e: that said, I've got 2 Yaesus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't sell radios except i wouldnt mind selling my ft8900r, also the only radio ive bought new. its ui is horrid.

---

the ic-9700 price got released today, 188k yen ~ $1670 at current exch rate. i was planning for 2200-2300

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You’ll never get me to defend Yaesu’s menu system and UI, but the 7 counties around me just pulled out the d-star repeaters the counties had installed to support emcomm and replaced them with Yaesu repeaters linked doing system fusion digital because trying to maintain the d-star backend systems was untenable, especially when they had to use government IT networks to get to the Internet.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeahhh, let me rant about Yaesu for a bit here

My first mobile rig was a 7900R, and it was decent, a bit minimalist, but it was at least usable in the car. Rock solid no-frills analog dual band.

Last year I thought I'd upgrade to an FTM-100DR, because there's a decent amount of Fusion traffic in my area, and it supported APRS, so why not.

Yaesu really hosed up with Fusion. They nailed it with not having to register your callsign anywhere, but beyond that they really messed up. They screwed up the mic gain on analog vs. digital in their radios, so the whole value proposition of mixed-mode operation goes down the toilet if your mic is too hot only on FM or digital. Every time I listen to local Fusion repeaters, there are always dudes with their mic gain turned up way too high, and it sounds like utter garbage. I feel like D-Star handles audio way better.

The FTM-100 is OK, but I hate the white backlight, which is either too blinding bright at night, or not bright enough. The radio audio strangely mutes when you go into the top-level menu, but not sub-menus, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Setting the channel to skip during a scan, or trying to properly write a name to the channel is confusing, and having to press a button to change squelch sucks when you're mobile as well.

I eventually got sick of using the FTM-100 in my car, since it was impossible to change stuff without getting super deep into a confusing menu, moved it to my shack, and sold off the 7900 for cash and put it towards a TM-D710G.

And boy let me tell you, that Kenwood is a dream to use. Everything's easily accessible, and makes sense. I'm hoping they come out with a mobile version of the D74.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
But but but that FT-991A is so hot!

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

I mainly avoided Fusion stuff 'cause there aren't any Fusion repeaters where I am. Now I understand why. :v:

Been happy with DMR for the most part, but the CPS is...not user-friendly. Sounds like this is a problem throughout the standard too and not just on my handheld. Can't I at least re-arrange channels I've programmed into some kind of order without having to get rid of all of them and put them in from scratch? :(

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've always liked my Yaesu mobile and handheld. After having not turned on the mobile for years, I only had to look up one thing in the manual, and I checked the handheld manual last night to verify that the earphone plug is special.

I just glanced at "Kenwood mobile hf" and I cannot imagine using any of those remote headed keyboards. They look like "whackamole oops accidentally turned it off / drifted off frequency / melted the antenna" just begging to happen, repeatedly. As base stations, sure it seems like all those buttons would make operations easier.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Yaesus are excellent radios, it's just the whole UX philosophy is very weird.

Also the manuals are not great.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:shrug: They must have been designed by mathematician/physicist/hacker because they make sense to me. I admit it's nowhere convenient to have to scroll through an alphabetical list of menu options, but it kinda is when you're driving down the highway.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

:shrug: They must have been designed by mathematician/physicist/hacker because they make sense to me. I admit it's nowhere convenient to have to scroll through an alphabetical list of menu options, but it kinda is when you're driving down the highway.

The thing I like about Kenwoods is that if you've used one, you've pretty much used them all. Lots of very similar design language and UX setup.

Yaesu's industrial design and UX is all over the place. A while back I saw a picture of the FTM-350, and it looks like they more or less stole the design from the TM-D710. Eventually the 400 came out, which looks vaguely similar, but doesn't scream "SUE US" as much.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I've poo poo on the internet linked networks for years, then I bought an MD380 so i could play digital with sniep and turns out it's fun as hell. Sure it's not the last-bastion emergency fallback communications medium that an HF rig and a pile of wire is, but it's really entertaining to bop around the talkgroups and listen in to different regional/national stuff.

I just bought one of these after reading your post because I'm an impulsive idiot and it was under $100 - turns out there's a bunch of DMR repeaters around Chicago so it'll be interesting to start playing around talking to people around the country. Hopefully the conversation is more interesting than what I've heard around here.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

What kind of equipment would you recommend for a beginner?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

charliebravo77 posted:

I just bought one of these after reading your post because I'm an impulsive idiot and it was under $100 - turns out there's a bunch of DMR repeaters around Chicago so it'll be interesting to start playing around talking to people around the country. Hopefully the conversation is more interesting than what I've heard around here.

Hey, awesome :) Talkgroup 310 is a good US-centric (but not -restricted) TG with good convos, it overflows to TG311 as well. the MD380tools firmware flash is very easy and gives you lots of extra toys like promiscuous mode (will receive any active TG on the current repeater/color channel, not just the one you're tuned to) and scanning and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

God dammit. I almost bought one when Jonny posted that, but said.....no.....no, I don't need that.

Your lack of self control has infected me and now there's one on the way to my house too.

Edit: Oh hey, my Zarug gang tag has been replaced with a different BFC one.