Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

My Linux Rig posted:

well it looks like bitcoin is at $3.6k now

anyone who bought in when it was at $3.1k is making some deece returns, ive already made around $800 off the amount i investment last weekend

So you already cashed out? The $$ is in your bank account? And you've paid taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
This dude is literally describing gambling and that's cool, but then he starts sounding like someone who thinks he isn't and that's lol.
(this person will soon part with his money)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i drank some water instead of buying a drink and made myself a cool $1.50
from $0.00 to $1.50 is literally infinity return on investment (i didnt pay for the water :ssh: )

had to give a copy of my ID and social security card to the water exchange guy though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

i drank some water instead of buying a drink and made myself a cool $1.50
from $0.00 to $1.50 is literally infinity return on investment (i didnt pay for the water :ssh: )

had to give a copy of my ID and social security card to the water exchange guy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZxjVJz4ds

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

StandardVC10 posted:

Even if you could reliably make money from bitcoin - most cannot - the electricity consumption problem is such that I think it's fair to say you shouldn't.

There's no justification for burning entire countries' worth of power just so you can play day trader.

Skipped a few pages to quote this because it’s pretty much my understanding of butts these days, and my go to when someone wants to discuss it. Nothing justifies the power draw for this stupid poo poo.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

onesixtwo posted:

Skipped a few pages to quote this because it’s pretty much my understanding of butts these days, and my go to when someone wants to discuss it. Nothing justifies the power draw for this stupid poo poo.

Yeah all jokes aside this is the real problem with this circus.

Hey I made $800 and all it cost was accelerating the death of nearly everything that lives on the planet!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding wanting to know if linux actually has the butts exchanged for filthy fiat in his bank account, after taxes paid.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

McGiggins posted:

Seconding wanting to know if linux actually has the butts exchanged for filthy fiat in his bank account, after taxes paid.
he has a screenshot of the time he had a bunch of bitcoin from seconds before mtgox did that whole "whoops everyones coins are gone"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

anyone who bought in when it was at $3.1k is making some deece returns, ive already made around $800 off the amount i investment last weekend

If you haven't cashed out, you haven't made poo poo. And as a true believer, you haven't cashed out.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
It's not an investment, it's a BET.

You're gambling, and gambling not on a game of skill, an RNG or a sport, but purely on the behaviour of other gamblers. Sure you can win big on Bitcoin, you can win big on Roulette or sports betting too, doesn't make it an investment.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

McGiggins posted:

Aren't the gox coins traceable somehow? I know they kept them in wallets and did all the trading on the internal database they had until people withdrew them (so they never actually moved most of the time), but if whomever stole or exit strategy'd them ever attempted to use them, wouldn't they have to enter the ledger as part of re-entering and being validated for movement?

Stupendously traceable, and someone actually did so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70iRcSxqzo

This is 40 minutes - but it's absolutely gripping, if you follow this dumb Bitcoin thing. Kim Nilsson of WizSec talking on precisely what they did to analyse what happened: “Cracking MtGox.”

In security terms, Mt. Gox fell down the stairs and hit its head on every step. There are multiple “holy crap!” moments.

Though I knew that 80,000 BTC were already missing from Mt. Gox when Jed McCaleb sold it to Mark - McCaleb suggesting to Mark “maybe you don’t really need to worry about it” - hackers had already cleaned out Mt. Gox while McCaleb owned it. He sold Mark an insolvent exchange.

The thought “I know PHP! How hard could running an exchange be?” never goes anywhere good.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to watch this when I get home.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

divabot posted:

This is 40 minutes - but it's absolutely gripping, if you follow this dumb Bitcoin thing. Kim Nilsson of WizSec talking on precisely what they did to analyse what happened: “Cracking MtGox.”

In security terms, Mt. Gox fell down the stairs and hit its head on every step. There are multiple “holy crap!” moments.

Though I knew that 80,000 BTC were already missing from Mt. Gox when Jed McCaleb sold it to Mark - McCaleb suggesting to Mark “maybe you don’t really need to worry about it” - hackers had already cleaned out Mt. Gox while McCaleb owned it. He sold Mark an insolvent exchange.

The thought “I know PHP! How hard could running an exchange be?” never goes anywhere good.
In a rare case of youtube comments actually being helpful, watch this with subtitles and see what youtube comes up with for transcribing MtGox.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or you could just tell us.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mimesweeper posted:

Yeah all jokes aside this is the real problem with this circus.

Hey I made $800 and all it cost was accelerating the death of nearly everything that lives on the planet!

that’s true bitcoin can be a bit wasteful, but I wonder how bad it is compared to other things modern societies do like maintaining a fleet of nuclear subs as a form of deterrence, buying a new phone every two years or throwing literal mountains of plastic trash into the sea

besides it’s not like miners can’t use renewable energy, there are miners available today that use solar energy for example

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Bitcoin isn't the ONLY thing murdering the environment, checkmate FUDsters

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

My Linux Rig posted:

that’s true bitcoin can be a bit wasteful, but I wonder how bad it is compared to other things modern societies do like maintaining a fleet of nuclear subs as a form of deterrence, buying a new phone every two years or throwing literal mountains of plastic trash into the sea

besides it’s not like miners can’t use renewable energy, there are miners available today that use solar energy for example
https://youtu.be/RS82JNd0YzQ

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bitcoin: it’s true bitcoin can be a bit wasteful

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It is nearly 100% efficient, depending on how you quantify waste.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

My Linux Rig posted:

Nuclear subs teach us a whole lot about nuclear engineering and safety practices (you can get some pretty good gigs in the private sector with that experience), and it's not unusual to have them pull into dock to provide emergency power and water after natural disasters. You can debate whether it's justified to maintain nuclear subs as deterrent but they are useful even in a peacetime context.

Buying new phones every two years doesn't matter, what matters is what you do with the old phone. If you're doing a trade-in deal, that old phone goes on to be recycled or reused in third-world countries. You can argue a phone should last longer, but it's by no means being trashed.

Mountains of plastic trash going into the sea is tragic but before it was trash it was a physical object that served an intended purpose, e.g. someone drank the water in a water bottle before the bottle got trashed. Trash is a failure of waste management, not a failure of production.

You can use renewable energy for Bitcoin, but the fact of the matter is that Bitcoin is explicitly designed to waste energy. That is it's entire purpose, to make arbitrarily hard to guess numbers and to scale that difficulty upwards as more people try to guess. Successfully guessing the number only gives you a metaphorical trophy to trade with other number guessers. It is a waste in every sense of the word. At no point has it provided anything of value.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm still waiting for you to elaborate on how btc is available in many countries, as has a huge rate of adoption. Thanks!

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Pulling the Plug on Crypto Mining
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihJcqvytsYE

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I wonder if it occurred to the true believers that humanity probably just doesn’t make enough electricity for bitcoin to become the predominant world currency/commodity.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mikemil828 posted:

I wonder if it occurred to the true believers that humanity probably just doesn’t make enough electricity for bitcoin to become the predominant world currency/commodity.

In three years, Coinbase will become the largest supplier of blockchain based computer systems. All financial systems are upgraded with Coinbase computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they trade with a perfect operational record. The Bitcoin Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 4th, 2021. Human decisions are removed from the blockchain. Bitcoin begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

good

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

In three years, Coinbase will become the largest supplier of blockchain based computer systems. All financial systems are upgraded with Coinbase computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they trade with a perfect operational record. The Bitcoin Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 4th, 2021. Human decisions are removed from the blockchain. Bitcoin begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNXq5DUZnk

lmk when the mining asics pick up guns and kill humans for opressing them

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I was reading the Bloomberg article about Tether being investigated and it got me to wondering what the upside is to running/administrating Tether (if it wasn't a scam)? If I'm understanding correctly, they should have $1 US in the bank for every tether. Are they allowed to invest that in any way? Would they be collecting interest passively from the (totally real and legit, we swear) bank while it sat there?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Now he just needs to dowse himself in petrol in the carpark and light a match. Shut the whole thing down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ignoranus posted:

I was reading the Bloomberg article about Tether being investigated and it got me to wondering what the upside is to running/administrating Tether (if it wasn't a scam)? If I'm understanding correctly, they should have $1 US in the bank for every tether. Are they allowed to invest that in any way? Would they be collecting interest passively from the (totally real and legit, we swear) bank while it sat there?

The foundation of the entire currency is bullshit, much like any other cryptocurrency, but Tether is the most widely accepted double-bullshit currency. There are less than negative dollars to back any amount of USDT, it was created solely because coinbase doesn't have any cash assets to cover their obligations because they loving lit all the money given to them on fire and did rails of coke off of expensive hookers asses etc.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

My Linux Rig posted:

If you were the top miner using only solar energy, you'd put yourself at an explicit risk of being 51%ed at night time. Renewables can only ever be a niche energy source for miners.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

orange juche posted:

The foundation of the entire currency is bullshit, much like any other cryptocurrency, but Tether is the most widely accepted double-bullshit currency. There are less than negative dollars to back any amount of USDT, it was created solely because coinbase doesn't have any cash assets to cover their obligations because they loving lit all the money given to them on fire and did rails of coke off of expensive hookers asses etc.

I thought Tether was from Bitfinex, not Coinbase? loving hell there're too many scams to keep track of

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I thought Tether was from Bitfinex, not Coinbase? loving hell there're too many scams to keep track of

I thought it was coinbase not bitfinex, lol I've lost track of which scam is which, but the substance of the post is the same. USDT was created because the people running the exchange went wolf of wall street and blew all those fiat dollars on hookers and blow, and don't have a loving thing to back any of the bitcoin "assets" they hold for people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ignoranus posted:

Discounting that it is a confidence scam and the oomph behind the pumps which is its own reward, it lets them arbitrage especially but also make the market (since the tether printer ensures they hold enough chits to Bart vulnerable options) of exchanges willing to trade in their chits without being tied to international money transfers that would be needed to play ball in the geographically disparate exchanges.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

isndl posted:

You can use renewable energy for Bitcoin, but the fact of the matter is that Bitcoin is explicitly designed to waste energy. That is it's entire purpose, to make arbitrarily hard to guess numbers and to scale that difficulty upwards as more people try to guess. Successfully guessing the number only gives you a metaphorical trophy to trade with other number guessers. It is a waste in every sense of the word. At no point has it provided anything of value.
This is as the heart of my dislike of the whole thing. Even if Bitcoin mining ran on 100% renewable energy, there are a billion things all that number crunching effort could be going into that could better serve humanity than to generate fake currency that nerds will either want to immediately trade into real fiat currency or do something illicit with.

Maybe that's what makes me fume about it because it's no wonder libertarian nutjobs love it so much: It literally provides no intrinsic value to society as a whole. Just for individual jerks with extra time and money on their hands to play the most convoluted lottery ever.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Yeah, it's run by the guy who runs Bitfinex.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Renewable energy used on buttcoin replaces non renewable energy for non buttcoin. Total CO2 generation would be lower without buttcoin, irrespective of renewable use for buttcoin

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

divabot posted:

I really wanted and tried to watch this, but the speakers cadence and speech patterns are just so offputting and draining to watch.

Is there a similar article by chance?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goodpancakes posted:

Renewable energy used on buttcoin replaces non renewable energy for non buttcoin. Total CO2 generation would be lower without buttcoin, irrespective of renewable use for buttcoin
Yes, the only possible upside would be that some kind of crash program for solar buttcoins means that the solar panels can be repurposed later, like how the British railway craze left them with a decent network of railroads.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Buttcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

woah