Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum

Bluedeanie posted:

i have not seen a chocolate orange in the store during the holidays in a dogs age

we still get them around here, everybody got one in their stocking for our friendsmas celebration

thank you luvcow for the sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
my family has a depressing lack of weird christmas foods. it's very standard norwegian christmas stuff, with the fish dishes that are banned in germany for safety reasons and whatnot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
otoh its the only time of the year when i eat anything vaguely scandinavian (because why would you do that to yourself?)

alnilam

growing up we just had ham which i was never a big fan of, and then pumpkin pie whic hsi way too good to limit to 1 holiday

ty manifisto

Nosfereefer

europe alone has a great variety of food, and distances has only become smaller over time. i just don't see why anyone would willingly eat boiled cod and potatoes in the year of the lord 2018

Nosfereefer

reindeer, otoh, is real good. gently caress the potato-chowing dážat and their tasteless fishes

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
7 layer red velvet cake is a tradition in my family, delicious and not nutritious

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Nosfereefer posted:

reindeer, otoh, is real good. gently caress the potato-chowing dážat and their tasteless fishes

I bet

I had an elk tenderloin once that was out of this world

Jaded Burnout

Hugh Malone posted:

tea is plant beer

beer is plant beer

roomforthetuna posted:

Funny you should say that, because someone once dumped a shitload of ketchup into some spaghetti that was short of sauce, and it was pretty much inedible.

honestly, this is the only way I make spaghetti

I literally had hand made meatballs and fresh egg spaghetti, cooked al dente in well-salted water and seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper in a butter emulsion and with a nice sprinkling of some parmigiano reggiano, well-tossed in a coating of heinz tomato ketchup. I had this ten minutes ago

Nosfereefer

gamy meat is v. good smoked. also fits extremely well with wasabi, weirdly enough

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jaded Burnout posted:

beer is plant beer

I literally had hand made meatballs and fresh egg spaghetti, cooked al dente in well-salted water and seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper in a butter emulsion and with a nice sprinkling of some parmigiano reggiano, well-tossed in a coating of heinz tomato ketchup. I had this ten minutes ago

I love me some ketchup but this reads like you almost made a good meal but then modified it and ate a cursed dish. Be safe, friend.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jaded Burnout

Jolo posted:

I love me some ketchup but this reads like you almost made a good meal but then modified it and ate a cursed dish. Be safe, friend.

I have eaten something close to this for over 20 years now. gently caress that sounds terrible to write out.

I will at some point find a better tomato sauce, I don't actually like the ketchup approach much anymore, but almost all shop-bought sauces are heavy on stuff I don't like, and my kitchen is a little deficient right now. I have a single induction hob and an oven, that's it.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Jaded Burnout posted:

beer is plant beer

:stare:

i mean if you like it and it works then go for it

MockingQuantum

Nosfereefer posted:

gamy meat is v. good smoked. also fits extremely well with wasabi, weirdly enough

there was a place in the town where I went to college that did a bison wasabi burger, totally fantastic. though truthfully, bison isn't really that gamey

Hugh Malone posted:

I bet

I had an elk tenderloin once that was out of this world

are we talking US elk or moose, which apparently are called elk in a lot of the world? because the former is fantastic, the latter didn't do it for me

thank you luvcow for the sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Personal favorite holiday treat = Walkers shortbread cookies. I got them in my stocking when I was little :classiclol:

Oh and I'm late to the debate, but ketchup is great! Although I will say that my freshman dorm cafeteria taught me that Heinz 57 is the real Philosopher's Sauce. It's good on steak, popcorn, even bananas.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MockingQuantum posted:

we still get them around here, everybody got one in their stocking for our friendsmas celebration

same

Twenty Four

I always thought Ketchup on hotdogs, or like, whatever on hot dogs, started as just another reason for baseball fans to pretend to get irrationally angry about something most of them don't really care about, since hot dogs have lots of regional differences and many ballparks are famous for having a specific kind of dog.

Like most baseball fans didn't really care, it was just a fun way to fuel rivalries, being such an inconsequential thing to argue about, but it was still "your city vs my city". Then some people got serious about it, then it spread beyond baseball and the cities teams reside in, to just being opinions on hot dog toppings by the general masses.

Baseball fandom is the first place I heard about it, many long years ago, but then again I'm a huge baseball nerd so I might be wrong.

I still remember seeing some game on TV years ago where the Washington Nationals were playing, with their star player being Bryce Harper. There was a couple of kids that were fans of the opposing team in the bleachers with signs that said "Bryce Harper puts ketchup on hot dogs" and laughing my rear end off at it being the most inoffensive insult and being just plain fun.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*dstr trundles over to you clutching a bottle of ketchup in one of its hands*

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
im glad this ketchup/hotdog/ketchup+hotdog derail has lead to some funny+infortmative posts. i was just having some fun with the chicago tradition, i don't really mind what anyone puts on their hotdog sandwiches! though I usually go with some brown mustard and diced onions :yum:. Or chili and cheese, but chili and cheese is just good all around.

just really not a fan of ketchup at all anymore, except with some fries. not that I associate it with children or anything,b ut when I was a kid I put it on just about everything (including some stuff that really, really doesn't go well with ketchup) and now i'm just a bit sick of the taste. that jalapeno ketchup is my poo poo tho

sb hermit

bare bottom pancakes posted:

im glad this ketchup/hotdog/ketchup+hotdog derail has lead to some funny+infortmative posts. i was just having some fun with the chicago tradition, i don't really mind what anyone puts on their hotdog sandwiches! though I usually go with some brown mustard and diced onions :yum:. Or chili and cheese, but chili and cheese is just good all around.

just really not a fan of ketchup at all anymore, except with some fries. not that I associate it with children or anything,b ut when I was a kid I put it on just about everything (including some stuff that really, really doesn't go well with ketchup) and now i'm just a bit sick of the taste. that jalapeno ketchup is my poo poo tho

brown mustard and diced onions is my topping of choice for hot dogs

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Ketchup is pretty gross. In my house, its only use is as an ingredient in meatloaf.

Due to the holidays, my mom seems to make a lot of meatloaf to distribute whenever I visit and now I am wondering if I really want to ask how old her ketchup is because my parents don’t use it for anything except meatloaf topping

MockingQuantum posted:

I like ketchup, but I also like marmite so I recognize I'm a terrible barometer for food things. also is weird foodshaming a thing that exists elsewhere in the country? growing up in the midwest I feel like people get no end of poo poo that translates nearly into really weird bullying for not liking "common" foods, I don't eat a lot of local fish (because stuff like trout and walleye literally tastes rotten to me) and every once in a while I'll meet someone who is inexplicably awful to me about it. never been sure if that's just a weird midwestern thing or not though, since we apparently have a lot of weird behavioral oddities that don't exist elsewhere in the country.

where do yobbers get their marmite? just the supermarket? or a specialty store like cost plus?

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone know what happened to death sext? i really liked the art and posts she made on byob.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Farecoal

There he go

you smugglers think you're so clever, but oh no! you can't slip illegal contraband past me!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Listen up:

I've found the most offensive condiment I've ever seen.

M A Y O C H U P.

It's two things I hate that when mixed are something I hate, probably, the most.

Robot Made of Meat

hamjobs posted:

"biscuit eater" was an epithet commonly slung at me during childhood. because i brought cold biscuits and peanut butter in my lunch because i liked them and i didn't know we were poor or that being "mixed" was seen as bad.

Biscuits are tasty. Nobody should make fun of that.

But then, it used to be an insult to Italians to call them "spaghetti-benders." This mystifies me because I love spaghetti!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Bluedeanie posted:

i have not seen a chocolate orange in the store during the holidays in a dogs age

I'm not terribly fond of sweets, but chocolate oranges were great!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Jaded Burnout posted:

beer is plant beer

hey it was early

Robot Made of Meat

el dorito posted:

Due to the holidays, my mom seems to make a lot of meatloaf to distribute whenever I visit and now I am wondering if I really want to ask how old her ketchup is because my parents don’t use it for anything except meatloaf topping

Between the sugar (a tablespoon of ketchup has more sugar in it than a chocolate-chip cookie), the salt, and the vinegar, ketchup will last forever without going 'bad' (worse).

I've had bottles that were easily 8 years old, and they were no worse than the day I bought them.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

el dorito posted:

where do yobbers get their marmite? just the supermarket? or a specialty store like cost plus?
I got 12 jars of it at once from some kind of online store like 7 years ago, and still have half of them left. They're all overfull now because it's like "The Stuff" from the movie The Stuff, it has grown and escaped from the edges of the lids. Still tastes identical so I'm treating it as not-expired.

MockingQuantum posted:

but hey, to turn this conversational frown upside-down, anybody have any super-specific foods that you always have around holiday/wintertimes?
Roast potatoes, which doesn't sound super-specific but it is because everyone in America does roast potatoes wrong so I have to cook them (and also my in-laws require me to cook them now that they've had it done right). And even then it's not actually done right because America doesn't have any good potatoes, they've seemingly all been bred for yield and pest resistance instead of for tasting good. So even doing it right I can only get about half way to proper roast potatoes.
Edit: here is someone who nearly has the method right (in an annoying Facebook video), except they didn't pre-heat the oil which means their potatoes will have a bit of a greasier finish.

Also, red cabbage for some reason, which is cooked with a large cooking apple (does America even have a concept of a cooking apple? Internet suggests no, this too is a British thing and America uses so-called "dual-purpose" apples like chumps, more like no-purpose-properly apples) and a squirt of lemon juice, and cooked for ages (just in a pan like you're boiling it but you don't even have to add any water). It always seems like a horrible idea, who would want to eat just a blob of cabbage, but ends up being way more delicious than it has any right to be.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 20, 2018

Robot Made of Meat

hamjobs posted:

Listen up:

I've found the most offensive condiment I've ever seen.

M A Y O C H U P.

It's two things I hate that when mixed are something I hate, probably, the most.

Mayo and ketchup mixed together makes a salad dressing. Add a little relish, and it's an OK substitute for thousand island. It was mentioned in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or one of those movies -- used as "special sauce" at a burger place.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Mayo and ketchup mixed together makes a salad dressing.
Just mustard makes a better salad dressing. :colbert:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I secretly also hate sweet relish. And thousand island.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm really sorry byob, I am a picky eater and subsist on water, hummus, tea, coffee, and chocolate.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also peanut butter and kimchi sometimes together for the weirdest Korean toast.

Farecoal

There he go
i am also a picky eater. not like chicken nuggets only, but definitely picker than most

roomforthetuna

You know my anger at America's potatoes is huge when I start considering trying to import some Maris Piper seed-stock and grow my own and sell them to other British people in America at a huge markup with the marketing slogan "you can get some goddamn Maris Piper potatoes here and nowhere else in America". If someone else did that I would buy them.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hamjobs posted:

I secretly also hate sweet relish.

T_T

Robot Made of Meat

roomforthetuna posted:

Just mustard makes a better salad dressing. :colbert:

Bzzzzt!

Mustard is more revolting than ketchup.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

roomforthetuna posted:

You know my anger at America's potatoes is huge when I start considering trying to import some Maris Piper seed-stock and grow my own and sell them to other British people in America at a huge markup with the marketing slogan "you can get some goddamn Maris Piper potatoes here and nowhere else in America". If someone else did that I would buy them.

Hell I would buy them, we have poo poo potatoes here.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Watch BYOB start a fooding war.

An ancient cliche

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm not chicken nuggets picky, I just have texture issues and don't like a lot of American food and also I'm wearing as hell about the way things are cooked and also I'm afraid of eating things that could think because weird head brains stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

hamjobs posted:

Hell I would buy them, we have poo poo potatoes here.
lol I was thinking "I wonder if Australia has decent potatoes", and apparently no, but it has people bitching about their absence and also mentioning cooking apples within the first four posts! Funny because today is the first time I even noticed that cooking apples weren't a thing in the US, just a few posts ago.