Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FreudianSlippers posted:

In some countries Santa only stops by in early to mid December for a parade or to throw a bit of candy at kids and the actual gift giving is handled by Baby Jesus.

Over here we have thirteen mischievous trolls that arrive one at a time from December 12th to put toys or candy in shoes left in windows and all the actual gifts on Christmas , which starts at 1800 on Christmas Eve, are clearly and truthfully marked and have nothing to do with any of them.

also if you don't get any clothes a giant cat eats you.

Sorry about your sad childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Milo and POTUS posted:

Baby don't hurt me?

I just didn’t remember what my avatar was until I made the first post so I was trying to head that off.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

Sorry about your sad childhood.
When I heard that naughty kids at least got coal I asked why I got nothing at all. The nice lady said it was because my parents died and speaking of coal get back to work.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

In some countries Santa only stops by in early to mid December for a parade or to throw a bit of candy at kids and the actual gift giving is handled by Baby Jesus.

Over here we have thirteen mischievous trolls that arrive one at a time from December 12th to put toys or candy in shoes left in windows and all the actual gifts on Christmas , which starts at 1800 on Christmas Eve, are clearly and truthfully marked and have nothing to do with any of them.

This sounds so much cooler than my community's tradition of 'Steal presents and do heroin.'

What region has gift trolls.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

And here I thought the metric system was stupid

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And here I thought the metric system was stupid

Stupid on two counts then

That sounds awesome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

American Santa is bowdlerized protestant police state agitprop

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure most kids do know Santa doesn't exist when they hit about third grade, but keep it going because their parents do, and it's fun. There's nothing wrong with adding some magic to the season; it's silly fun, and anyone who doesn't get that is a sad person, who had sad parents that didn't get it, either.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I'm pretty sure most kids do know Santa doesn't exist when they hit about third grade, but keep it going because their parents do, and it's fun. There's nothing wrong with adding some magic to the season; it's silly fun, and anyone who doesn't get that is a sad person, who had sad parents that didn't get it, either.

I disagree, I think it leads to applying magical thinking over critical thinking to other things in life and that is not good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shifty Nipples posted:

I disagree, I think it leads to applying magical thinking over critical thinking to other things in life and that is not good.

Do you have any actual humans to support this?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Says the poster with an avatar of a sex offender.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Ferrule posted:

It really is the most NDT post possible, to boot

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Shifty Nipples posted:

Are you trolling? You have to be trolling.

That day you finally figure it out, you're like, "wait, mom and dad make sure I go to bed early, but I hear them staying up much later" or "why do rich kids get better presents from Santa" or "we don't even have a chimney so that makes no sense" or "that note is in my mom's handwriting" is like the first time you really understand critical thinking, the first time you feel like really understanding the world around you can pay off.
Or you have your own investigation. You pretend to sleep and then sneakily watch what happens from the shadows confirming your suspicions. That thrill of discovery is unprecedented.
Then you go along with it for another year or two because, hey, extra gifts. But still.

Edit:
Debunking Santa in your own time leads to questioning religious leaders and looking for original sources to verify health benefit claims of unregulated substances.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's possible to be cool and still do the Santa thing, just don't make such a big deal out of it and don't try so hard to hide the fact that it's actually you getting the gifts

basically if it's a big item the whole family will use like a TV or something, write from Santa on it

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Dec 19, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Nipples posted:

:randno:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So if you're not religious you just teach your kids about Jesus anyway and tell them he's real and let them come to their own conclusions? Seems dumb to me.

In my experience kids aren't as stupid as we think and we should try to avoid lying to them. Then again, I got a vasectomy to avoid the whole thing, so what do I know?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JoelJoel posted:

So if you're not religious you just teach your kids about Jesus anyway and tell them he's real and let them come to their own conclusions? Seems dumb to me.

In my experience kids aren't as stupid as we think and we should try to avoid lying to them. Then again, I got a vasectomy to avoid the whole thing, so what do I know?

You joke, but my mostly agnostic vaguely jewish family sent me to presbyterian school for a bit when I was little because it was the best school around that they could afford. I learned all about Jesus and analyzed how the other kids reacted to the religious stuff vs. how I did and it helped shape my (non)religious views today.

Plus, Santa and religion are just not the same.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Of course Santa's a religious icon, just not that religion.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Dammit I wish I could find that Saturnalia Chick Track but the links I had are dead.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Guess I didn't hear about that, bummer.

Aleph Null posted:

That day you finally figure it out, you're like, "wait, mom and dad make sure I go to bed early, but I hear them staying up much later" or "why do rich kids get better presents from Santa" or "we don't even have a chimney so that makes no sense" or "that note is in my mom's handwriting" is like the first time you really understand critical thinking, the first time you feel like really understanding the world around you can pay off.
Or you have your own investigation. You pretend to sleep and then sneakily watch what happens from the shadows confirming your suspicions. That thrill of discovery is unprecedented.
Then you go along with it for another year or two because, hey, extra gifts. But still.

Edit:
Debunking Santa in your own time leads to questioning religious leaders and looking for original sources to verify health benefit claims of unregulated substances.

I think I got suspicious about the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, leprechauns and god before santa.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

Then again, I got a vasectomy to avoid the whole thing, so what do I know?

Wow, humanity’s gene pool dodged a bullet right there.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Over here we have thirteen mischievous trolls

https://youtu.be/0hb_DzWGwB0

And their mom is here:

https://youtu.be/L0YXvwBX8Bk

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

What magical land do you live in where people have and/or use critical thinking skills?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aleph Null posted:

"we don't even have a chimney so that makes no sense"

My mom told me Santa could use the front door if you didn't have a chimney, which made perfect sense to my five-year-old self.

Another important Santa fact imparted by my mom: if Santa comes to your house and he sees your toys everywhere, he'll think he already gave you your gifts and leave, so make sure your room is clean.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Antivehicular posted:

My mom told me Santa could use the front door if you didn't have a chimney, which made perfect sense to my five-year-old self.

Another important Santa fact imparted by my mom: if Santa comes to your house and he sees your toys everywhere, he'll think he already gave you your gifts and leave, so make sure your room is clean.

Stealing this for when my kid starts asking questions

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Santa brings small gifts like crayons and a colouring book and you get to open Santa's presents before we eat and colour while the adults are enjoying the food. (We do presents in the evening on the 24th)
Fun fact; we dance around the tree and use real candles...

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Antivehicular posted:

Santa has a magic key. I grew up in a bunch of different apartments.

And now, you can even buy a big rear end key from Hallmark or whatever to hang on your front door for Santa. So that's what my kids do every Xmas eve.

Antivehicular posted:

This is fantastic.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Antivehicular posted:

My boy immediately replied, "yeah but they're not wrapped!" and rolled his eyes at me.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Santa has a magic key. I grew up in a bunch of different apartments.

And now, you can even buy a big rear end key from Hallmark or whatever to hang on your front door for Santa. So that's what my kids do every Xmas eve.

This is fantastic.

I love old traditions shifting to accommodate modern life.

I recall one story from when I was a kid about Santa having a special elf who's job is to shrink down and climb into keyholes to unlock them for places with no chimney.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Antivehicular posted:

I was determined to not do the Santa stuff with my kid, because I'm still an angsty teenage atheist at heart, but I am honestly tempted now.

Apparently when I was a toddler and my mom told me about Santa, I got really frightened by the idea of some strange guy breaking into our house in the middle of the night, so my mom had to reassure me there's no Santa to calm me down.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rollersnake posted:

I was determined to not do the Santa stuff with my kid, because I'm still an angsty teenage atheist at heart, but I am honestly tempted now.

Apparently when I was a toddler and my mom told me about Santa, I got really frightened by the idea of some strange guy breaking into our house in the middle of the night, so my mom had to reassure me there's no Santa to calm me down.

Gooniest comment of the day.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

My sister didn't do Santa with her kids because she wanted them to know where the presents came from.
One year when the oldest was three, they came down to his find two presents in his baby sisters stroller, with a card that said that they were from Santa.
My nephew was so excited and relieved because "Santa remembered me this year".
My sister did a small gift from Santa every year after that.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were very nearly an all white group when the animated TV series was being created. Hanna Barbera asked a music label to put together a real life girl group based on the comicbook and produce some songs so the record producer found three girls who matched the comicbook characters and presented them to Hanna Barbera who then went "Ohhhhhh you got an African American .... we were planning on making them all white .... can we have a do over?" and the record producer went "gently caress no" and stood his ground. Hanna Barbera relented after a few weeks and agreed to not change the character's race, and that's how we got the first regularly appearing female African American character in Saturday morning cartoon series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josie_and_the_Pussycats_(album)

:aaaaa:

Stuff I learned today: HALO is an acronym for High Altitude Low Opening. For some reason, I had it in my head that it stood for High Altitude Low Oxygen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Stuff I learned today: HALO is an acronym for High Altitude Low Opening. For some reason, I had it in my head that it stood for High Altitude Low Oxygen.

At high altitudes there is very low oxygen and pressure!
HALO jumpers need to actually breathe a 100% oxygen so they don't get decompression sickness on the way up.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
y'know that song, Stacy's Mom, by Fountains of Wayne? For years it was mislabeled on download/streaming sites as Bowling for Soup, and for years I was aware of the Bowling for Soup single cover, which my weird brain misread and assumed was the cover for the Fountains of Wayne original. As far as I ever noticed, there was only one Stacy's Mom, and it was actually by Fountains of Wayne.

Nope. It took actively looking at the single cover on Spotify and seeing the "Everyone thought they did it anyway...so they freakin did it!" that I realized Bowling for Soup actually covered it as well and the bands just sound really, really similar. I like pop punk and it's a little creepy that a) I never noticed and b) I still can't tell without looking which version is which if it's not in headphones.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Someone needs to play MGS3.

Also play the play/grind around the tutorial area long enough so you finaly get the codec where Snake comments he didnt do a perfect HALO jump as a tribute to The Boss.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

y'know that song, Stacy's Mom, by Fountains of Wayne? For years it was mislabeled on download/streaming sites as Bowling for Soup, and for years I was aware of the Bowling for Soup single cover, which my weird brain misread and assumed was the cover for the Fountains of Wayne original. As far as I ever noticed, there was only one Stacy's Mom, and it was actually by Fountains of Wayne.

Nope. It took actively looking at the single cover on Spotify and seeing the "Everyone thought they did it anyway...so they freakin did it!" that I realized Bowling for Soup actually covered it as well and the bands just sound really, really similar. I like pop punk and it's a little creepy that a) I never noticed and b) I still can't tell without looking which version is which if it's not in headphones.

When I was about 14 or so and first getting into punk rock, there was a song labeled Bad Religion - Skaters Paradise on every p2p sharing client. I only found out much later that it wasn't actually by Bad Religion but rather by an obscure Norwegian punk band named Homer who don't seem to have any Internet presence at all (anymore). I ended up re-uploading the song to YouTube myself, since I still had the mp3 on one of my drives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MetO3adJfA

It sounds fairly basic to me now at 28, but I still think it's an interesting song, kind of d-beat and pop-punk at the same time. It had to be weird for them to find out their song somehow got fairly popular on the Internet while the vast majority of its listeners never found out which band it was actually by.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Reminds me of the whole business with The Rabbit Joint's Zelda song

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Reminds me of the whole business with The Rabbit Joint's Zelda song

one of my favorite System of a Down tracks, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Who knew Weird Al did so many terrible, offensive songs in the 90s?!