Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not to diminish the impressiveness of that, notice that this is essentially a pre fab office building. Most of that was done off site and you are just looking at sections being craned into place and......bolted? I didn't see any welding happening at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Motronic posted:

Not to diminish the impressiveness of that, notice that this is essentially a pre fab office building. Most of that was done off site and you are just looking at sections being craned into place and......bolted? I didn't see any welding happening at all.

And the inside is probably bare bone finishes, and minimal HVAC and electrical work. Still impressive, but there's a good amount of cost to do something that fast. Essentially all material for the whole building would need to be fabricated and sitting in warehouses to deliver to the job. Plus, you're paying three shifts to install it 24/7.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Also Chinese made buildings don’t do so well in earthquakes.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Blue Apron Falls Under $1 as Sell-Off Shows No Signs of Stopping

This is what you get for bombarding me with podcast ads motherfuckers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was on the Los Altos planning committee

You’re really begging for some red text here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't know the significance of red text!

Here's an example of how easily the uber rich can do whatever the hell they want. Take this piece of of the municipal code we worked to pass

"For projects with ten (10) or more units, affordable housing units shall be provided as follows: 1. Rental units. Twenty (20) percent designated as affordable at the low-income level or fifteen (15) percent designated as affordable at the very-low income level."

I wonder how well this has been doing, given Los Altos' recent boom in multiple-family housing. Computer, status report!

Los Altos Planning Committee Website posted:

As of June 2016, the City has 105 affordable multiple-family units, which includes 32 rental units

God dammit

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magissima posted:

But how will we eat? :ohdear:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Chinese made buildings don’t do so well in earthquakes.

Recent Chinese construction performs poorly when subjected to gravity.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cacafuego posted:

One of the women that my wife volunteers with told us that had she known that we were flying up to Philly for Xmas, they would have let us drive back to Florida the (used, 2014) Porsche boxster they bought from a friend. Her husband is a “Porsche enthusiast”. She offered to let us buy the 2004 911 that they were selling and I said no.

I asked why they were buying the Boxster and she said “because we’re selling the 911”. They have other cars that they drive regularly, so this is just a toy. They do make good money and they’re nearing retirement, but I don’t know how leveraged they are. I suppose they can support being Porsche enthusiasts, but we don’t have anywhere to put an extra car and can’t afford the maintenance on a Porsche, so we dodged that bullet.
Who would want to dive a loving boxster 900+ miles on I-95 in holiday traffic?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

One of the women that my wife volunteers with told us that had she known that we were flying up to Philly for Xmas, they would have let us drive back to Florida the (used, 2014) Porsche boxster they bought from a friend. Her husband is a “Porsche enthusiast”. She offered to let us buy the 2004 911 that they were selling and I said no.

I asked why they were buying the Boxster and she said “because we’re selling the 911”. They have other cars that they drive regularly, so this is just a toy. They do make good money and they’re nearing retirement, but I don’t know how leveraged they are. I suppose they can support being Porsche enthusiasts, but we don’t have anywhere to put an extra car and can’t afford the maintenance on a Porsche, so we dodged that bullet.

I'm trying to figure out what the outrage here is, sounds like somebody bought a $40,000 used car and is selling a different car? I guess that's kind of above average price for a car. Okay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the outrage here is, sounds like somebody bought a $40,000 used car and is selling a different car? I guess that's kind of above average price for a car. Okay.

ahem

PORSCHE

:supaburn:

Jan 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Once you are south of the Virginia state line you can probably drive like a hundred miles an hour the entire way without attracting any attention but yeah you can miss me with Philly, DC, and everything until Richmond

Jan 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

ahem

PORSCHE

:supaburn:

I mean, yes technically according to the vehicle title information a Boxster and the worst, ugliest, most unreliable iteration of the 911 in its entire history are Porsches, but not reeaaaalllyyyy

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Here's today's sovereign citizen loving themselves over story.

quote:

Wayne Kenneth Glew, from Geraldton, owed his council $300,000 in rates, which he refused to pay because he believed local governments were unconstitutional.

quote:

Mr Glew said the city could not seize his land because he claimed it under Magna Carta.

"It is not getting sold because I have it held under clause 61 of Magna Carta," he said.

"I own it and I paid for it."

quote:

Professor Twomey said Magna Carta was an important historic statute but had little relevance in today's society.

"You have got to understand that under British law, their constitution is the system of parliamentary sovereignty and that means parliament itself can always change its own laws," she said.

"The same issue arises in Australia — Magna Carta became part of Australian law as a received British law … it would have been a much cut-down version of Magna Carta.

"Only the little dribs and drabs that were left, and even those dribs and drabs they are not entrenched as part of our law they are just part of ordinary statute that can be changed by later statute."

Mr Van Styn said seizing Mr Glew's property was a last resort.

"Everyone is required to pay the costs of living in a community," he said.

"We do not have roads and civic services out of nowhere.

"We require rates to run a city that functions with all the services that everyone needs from day to day.

quote:

Professor Twomey said despite what people believed, the law would prevail.

"If you notice, all of these people [who] object to paying taxes or rates and everything else say that the laws are invalid," she said.

"Nor do you ever see them refusing to use a hospital or a school or a road because it has been paid for by other people under invalid taxes or rates.

"People tend to just want to take the benefits and not want to pay or contribute."

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...p6ONAnRgt2gjaqY

Jan 11, 2004
How long does it take to accrue 300,000 moon dollars in rates, which I assume are the same as property taxes in the United States? My taxes are like $2,000 to $6,000 a year, even with interest and penalties it would be like 20 years to accrue that load of taxes.

Also on a side note I find it odd that sovereign citizenship seems to be just as strong in countries following the legal tradition of England as it is in the United States, where there is much less of a sense of permanent immutable law protecting one's rights that they think only exists to be broken by out-of-control government, like we have with the US Constitution.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
We definitely have one sovereign citizen.

She's called the Queen.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 19, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Here's today's sovereign citizen loving themselves over story.

quote:

Mr Glew, a former police officer, has appealed a court order from the council to remove his possessions from the property.

Edit: Looks like this year it's about 14% property tax with a minimum fee of $1010. Which seems absurdly high, but I think it also provides literally all of the revenue for the municipality - including what the USA would have for Federal, State, County, etc taxes that roll down through grants and similar?

https://www.cgg.wa.gov.au/Profiles/cgg/Assets/ClientData/CGG_2018-2019_Budget.pdf

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 19, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Once you are south of the Virginia state line you can probably drive like a hundred miles an hour the entire way without attracting any attention but yeah you can miss me with Philly, DC, and everything until Richmond
95 between Richmond and Raleigh is a pot-hole riddled goat path compared to 95 north of Richmond. It gets nice again around Rocky Mount. Also, you can speed your rear end off in the south if you're white. Black or Hispanic? Not as much.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Magissima posted:

I think the correct take is "thank you dumbass venture capitalists and investors for bankrolling my podcast habit for the past few years"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Edit: Looks like this year it's about 14% property tax with a minimum fee of $1010. Which seems absurdly high, but I think it also provides literally all of the revenue for the municipality - including what the USA would have for Federal, State, County, etc taxes that roll down through grants and similar?

https://www.cgg.wa.gov.au/Profiles/cgg/Assets/ClientData/CGG_2018-2019_Budget.pdf

Yes it's everything rolled into one.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
RE the Sovereign citizen, or as he prefers, the Living Breathing Man: the council actually seized the property in October last year, and at the time he owed a little under AUD150k which was apparently for not paying rates or service charges to the council for three years. Add another 50k+ for the time since, and the rest is probably legal costs. He was ordered to vacate the property last November so they could easily find more fees, including a penalty of up to $500 a day according to one document he shared, and all the trespassing and removing the barriers the council added.

Somebody asked and in case nobody explained while I was typing, rates are our name for property taxes charged by the local government authority/council.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think the correct take is "thank you dumbass venture capitalists and investors for bankrolling my podcast habit for the past few years"

Seriously. I've got it down where the podcasts that I listen to what ads in the start are set to jump in a few minutes to skip them and can swiftly skip through those played during the show. The real MVPs are the podcasts that play distinct sound effects before and after the ads or even better music designating the section is for ads.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TraderStav posted:

Seriously. I've got it down where the podcasts that I listen to what ads in the start are set to jump in a few minutes to skip them and can swiftly skip through those played during the show. The real MVPs are the podcasts that play distinct sound effects before and after the ads or even better music designating the section is for ads.

The Dollop just does like ten minutes right up front and calls anyone who complains an idiot because otherwise they'd be chopped up in the middle

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bird in a Blender posted:

And the inside is probably bare bone finishes, and minimal HVAC and electrical work. Still impressive, but there's a good amount of cost to do something that fast. Essentially all material for the whole building would need to be fabricated and sitting in warehouses to deliver to the job. Plus, you're paying three shifts to install it 24/7.

All material for all buildings is fabricated and delivered somewhere.

The nice parts of prefab like that is you can level out the labor too, rather than needing 4 workers this week and 6 the next and back to 4 you can keep 5 busy the whole time. Production per worker rises, as well as benefits to safety and quality from doing work in a controlled environment. It’s tough to compare the costs since you can’t do rigorous experiments, but a lot of the benefits offset the storage, transportation and design costs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

Beaten, but a 2014 Boxster really isn't a significantly worse place to be than any other car on I-95 in holiday traffic.

TraderStav posted:

I'm waiting for the day that podcast ads become unskipable. :ohdear:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Residency Evil posted:

I'm waiting for the day that podcast ads become unskipable. :ohdear:

The Pod Save America ads are almost listenable because it's like 75% of them making jokes or mocking the copy they were given

I love the concept of "presidential speechwriters reviewing ad copy from startups"

Jan 11, 2004

Devor posted:

The Pod Save America ads are almost listenable because it's like 75% of them making jokes or mocking the copy they were given

I love the concept of "presidential speechwriters reviewing ad copy from startups"

OTOH it's been almost the exact same set of ads for like a year and their shows are already pretty long and I've got three episodes a week to get through so those ads are hitting the chopping block thanks for the Spotify 15-second forward feature

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Georgia has lots of State Trooper presence on I-95, especially in construction zones. They love out of state funding to their pension plan.

I-95 in SC has such poor road conditions and congestion that going 100 is super unsafe. Generating revenue to fix the roads is unthinkable.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Devor posted:

Nobody does active contempt for what they're advertising like Hollywood Handbook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuslmoEdVs

This one's a build that happened in little bits over like twenty episodes, but the timestamped one is amazing on its own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGXloYZctI&t=790s

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Devor posted:

The Pod Save America ads are almost listenable

pity the rest of the podcast isn't

:fry:

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

CannonFodder posted:

Georgia has lots of State Trooper presence on I-95, especially in construction zones. They love out of state funding to their pension plan.

I-95 in SC has such poor road conditions and congestion that going 100 is super unsafe. Generating revenue to fix the roads is unthinkable.

95 in SC is like driving on a cheese grater.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tiffany has an Everyday Objects collection, including:
-Sterling Silver Tin Can for $1,000
-Paperclip for $1,500
-$35,000 watering can

This is like how Marie Antoinette would dress as a peasant for the fun of it.

https://m.tiffany.com/jewelry/decorative-accents/everyday-objects-sterling-silver-and-copper-watering-can-62119985?trackpdp=rv

I like how they have a “sustainability” section on their website

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877294&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Spend less on candles.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Is contractor. Has made no allowance for 2 week work shutdown over the holidays.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I thought ZDR quit.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
What's the rule of thumb, maintain an emergency savings account equal to two days' income? Three days?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two days, two and a half during daylight saving time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Two days, two and a half during daylight saving time.

I almost go bankrupt every leap year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

I almost go bankrupt every leap year.

I once moved between time zones and had my lungs repossessed.