Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump/Flynn not having good luck with this judge!

https://twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/1075425115444310017?s=19

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Excuse me ma'am but Bergdahl and Manning didn't exactly succeed in their army careers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DownByTheWooter posted:

Excuse me ma'am but Bergdahl and Manning didn't exactly succeed in their army careers

They weren't drawn and quartered, so to that crowd, it's like they were given the medal of honor instead.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I had to google who the gently caress this Major Golsteyn was, and he apparently killed an Afghan in violation of the RoE? Did I live under a rock for a bit?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had to google who the gently caress this Major Golsteyn was, and he apparently killed an Afghan in violation of the RoE? Did I live under a rock for a bit?

killed in violation of the RoE is a bit of an understatement for summarily executing your prisoners but sure.

Can't wait for Trump to pardon the nazis we tried and executed for following the commando orders.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

OUTRAGE! This Green Beret may get in trouble just for MURDERING someone!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
He also then buried the body, went back and burned it then reburied it or something. Totally what one does when acting justifiably.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
handwaving away warcrimes to own the libs.

jesus christ conservatism is a mental illness.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you only have to go back a few pages to find people here defending this guy lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oh, this is the bomb-maker the discussion a few pages ago was about, my bad, I'm late to the party.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

my nuclear take is that not summarily executing pows and then burning their bodies is what separates us from the bad guys and if you're a psychopath who simply must do a war crime, you take that poo poo to the grave instead of using to to climb on board the wingnut welfare train.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

my nuclear take is that not summarily executing pows and then burning their bodies is what separates us from the bad guys and if you're a psychopath who simply must do a war crime, you take that poo poo to the grave instead of using to to climb on board the wingnut welfare train.

here i'll save some galaxy brain the trouble:

:nallears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Murder the prisoners and cover it up. Just like Jesus would have done.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

The Washington Post: Trump administration plans to pull U.S. troops from Syria immediately, defense official says.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ac36_story.html

We're pulling out of Syria so one of our allies can kill another one of our allies.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075397797929775105?s=19

:thunk:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Or at least if you thought it was so necessary, suck it up and face the (generally minimal) consequences of your "hard man making hard decisions" cosplay.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

I can think of 15,000 people who still hold territory and a bunch of other guys laying low who would beg to differ. Course whatever, just another one of Donnie dipshit's lies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Good luck to the YPG. They will likely need it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Blackwater shithead who killed a bunch of people at Nisor Square in 2007 was just found guilty of first degree murder (again).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Shot:
https://twitter.com/YusufErim79/status/1075436891414110209

Here, have another shot as you don’t look like you’re miserable and drunk enough yet
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1075447119006326784

“Hey Erdogan, we’ll pull out of Syria and look the other way as you massacre the Kurds if you buy these Patriot missiles!”

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ART OF THE DEAL BABY

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meanwhile, a dusty warehouse full of Jupiter missiles is unlocked...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EBB posted:

Meanwhile, a dusty warehouse full of Jupiter missiles is unlocked...

nice

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone photoshop Trump into Mission Accomplished, but make sure the aircraft carrier has a bunch of gold trimming.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Like I can imagine circumstances where I could if not agree with at least understand the killing if the dude was legit the bomb maker... war is a dirty business and all that sort of thing.

But loving a you're dumb as rocks if you don't understand the army must absolutely make an example of you if you decide to go brag about it on Fox News.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Jarmak posted:

Like I can imagine circumstances where I could if not agree with at least understand the killing if the dude was legit the bomb maker... war is a dirty business and all that sort of thing.

The time to shoot him then, would have been when he was caught making or planting a bomb. Not after he's in custody, and certainly not on the uncorroborated word of a likely axe grinding local.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jarmak posted:

But loving a you're dumb as rocks if you don't understand the army must absolutely make an example of you if you decide to go brag about it on Fox News.

Yeah see sneaking off behind a shed to jack it in theater is cheeky and fun because Top declared that there shall be no nutting in theater.

Sneaking off base to shoot a dude in the back of the head, and then light the corpse on fire and bury the remains in a shallow grave is significantly less cheeky and fun, and if you brag about it you should get nailed by the army for doing the thing, and especially for loving bragging about it on national "news".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Steezo posted:

The time to shoot him then, would have been when he was caught making or planting a bomb. Not after he's in custody, and certainly not on the uncorroborated word of a likely axe grinding local.

I said I could imagine circumstances not that this situation met them... I don't even know the details of this situation. My point was even if you think breaking the rules was necessary you still shouldn't be outaged about the army crushing his balls over it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jarmak posted:

I said I could imagine circumstances not that this situation met them... I don't even know the details of this situation. My point was even if you think breaking the rules was necessary you still shouldn't be outaged about the army crushing his balls over it.

Proud military tradition in fact to have your balls crushed by the Army for "neccessary"-ily breaking the rules.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
seals killed the wrong green beret imo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Things that are necessary don’t tend to be the things that are cool to brag about on fox news

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

seals killed the wrong green beret imo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trump's going to pardon him even though the JCS will tell him it'll be a PR disaster for the military and for veterans.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think there can be situations where you can understand soldiers acting very dumb and killing PoWs. If they are smart, then they keep their mouths shut, and maybe get away with it. And if they get caught, the military justice system will hopefully punish them. Perhaps the punishment isn't appropriate to the crime, but at least there is recrimination for breaking the laws of war.

But if you go to TV and admit that you executed a PoW, and if you then get away with it because your country is fine with it... that's the point where you lose any moral high ground.

Abu Graib and other such things made me look at the US military with fresh eyes. You guys are still much better than most of the other armed forces on this planet (I'm not talking about military power here), but I've held you in higher esteem. If that guy just doesn't get punished because his victim was a dirty muslim terrorist foreigner - it would be another let down for me. I've already read about cases where the US military let people get away with war crimes, but these were handled internally. But going on air with your crimes and the public declaring this okay, that would be something else. Basic human decency demands that war criminals get punished, especially when they are not shy about the fact that they committed these war crimes. Not punishing them would be a level of brazen contempt for every non-American that would be really hard to stomach.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Proud military tradition in fact to have your balls crushed by the Army for "neccessary"-ily breaking the rules.

You're not wrong but if they look the other way in such a blatant case it basically means the rules don't exist at all. Regardless of whether you feel there was a justification. Then it's just a free for all murderfest for anyone who thinks they have a good reason.

Part of something like this being "necessary" is that it is so "necessary" that someone is willing to risk the death penalty to do it. If you can just publicly merc any rear end in a top hat and get an attaboy as long as you claim they made bombs then suddenly killing whoever disgruntled E6 alcoholic squad lead doesn't like today is "necessary".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Then it's just a free for all murderfest for anyone who thinks they have a good reason.

About that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think there can be situations where you can understand soldiers acting very dumb and killing PoWs. If they are smart, then they keep their mouths shut, and maybe get away with it. And if they get caught, the military justice system will hopefully punish them. Perhaps the punishment isn't appropriate to the crime, but at least there is recrimination for breaking the laws of war.

But if you go to TV and admit that you executed a PoW, and if you then get away with it because your country is fine with it... that's the point where you lose any moral high ground.

Abu Graib and other such things made me look at the US military with fresh eyes. You guys are still much better than most of the other armed forces on this planet (I'm not talking about military power here), but I've held you in higher esteem. If that guy just doesn't get punished because his victim was a dirty muslim terrorist foreigner - it would be another let down for me. I've already read about cases where the US military let people get away with war crimes, but these were handled internally. But going on air with your crimes and the public declaring this okay, that would be something else. Basic human decency demands that war criminals get punished, especially when they are not shy about the fact that they committed these war crimes. Not punishing them would be a level of brazen contempt for every non-American that would be really hard to stomach.

We only admit war crimes when they go public. We are just as bad as everyone else, be we just keep it under wraps.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1075493822719758337?s=20

:thunk:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

There are questions I have.

If Pence and Trump get removed, who is president? Pelosi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yes.