Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
T-shirts are taxable income? Lmfao. that's such a blatant rear end lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

got any sevens posted:

fox news gets a fresh version every few months

There’s only 3 or 4 women on Fox News and they just change their outfits several times a day and sometimes switch out blonde wigs as they run from one studio to the next.
Prove me wrong.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Nastier Nate posted:

There’s only 3 or 4 women on Fox News and they just change their outfits several times a day and sometimes switch out blonde wigs as they run from one studio to the next.
Prove me wrong.

Does it still count if they're clones of the same 3 or 4 women? I've definitely seen them have more than four on at once.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's just an editing trick, like how they got a hundred Agent Smiths on screen in the Matrix, or Lindsay Lohan played both kids in The Parent Trap

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Dec 19, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Crazycryodude posted:

That's just an editing trick, like how they got a hundred Agent Smiths on screen in the Matrix, or Lindsay Lohan played both kids in The Parent Trap

that’s fitting since Fox News kind of is a parent trap

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

T-shirts are taxable income? Lmfao. that's such a blatant rear end lie.

That's technically true I believe because the tax code if followed perfectly is designed to gently caress workers.

If you babysit your friends kids for free or for say a free dinner or something you need to include either the value of the non monetary favor you received. If you receive nothing you are supposed to include the approximate amount you would have been paid.

No one does this of course

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sedisp posted:

If you receive nothing you are supposed to include the approximate amount you would have been paid.

wouldn’t you just count it under the gift rules?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Associate my brand with a sinking ship please"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well, it was the only good part of the movie, so...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Truga posted:

well, it was the only good part of the movie, so...

I doubt the propeller goes DONG when struck.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1075416926774530048?s=19

Paying to kill your whistleblowing employee for reporting your exploited labor is as Late Stage Capitalism as it can get.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Wow police coming after job creators now. What an authoritarian state smh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
closing threads is dumb but this isn't GBS so instead of just starting another one I'll answer this in here;

quote:

but won't we still need supertankers? raw materials and global trade are necessary to create the massive amount of consumer goods under capitalism and that's not going to change.

you can say we won't have global trade or you can say that the standard of living in the first world won't change but you can't say both.

The supertankers only exist because it is marginally cheaper to produce raw materials overseas and ship them around. There is no actual reason we need as many supertankers/transports as we have now.

For example, people buy scrap steel in the USA then ship it to China where it can be melted/recycled/reforged and then shipped back to the USA where it is sold as regular steel again. That's stupid as hell actually from pretty much any angle but it makes sense financially because it is just cheaper to do that than it is to reforge the stuff locally. So that's what happens with steel and many many many other items.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

closing threads is dumb but this isn't GBS so instead of just starting another one I'll answer this in here;

The supertankers only exist because it is marginally cheaper to produce raw materials overseas and ship them around. There is no actual reason we need as many supertankers/transports as we have now.

For example, people buy scrap steel in the USA then ship it to China where it can be melted/recycled/reforged and then shipped back to the USA where it is sold as regular steel again. That's stupid as hell actually from pretty much any angle but it makes sense financially because it is just cheaper to do that than it is to reforge the stuff locally. So that's what happens with steel and many many many other items.

I'm going to guess that the cost to reforge steel in the US is much higher because of the EPA and OSHA regs, so the cost of transport*2 + Chinese reforging is less than that. Which is stupid and is murdering the planet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also in the 2000's companies started to massively overbuild their cargo ship fleets thinking that freight would continue to exponentially grow forever, and now that a bunch of the ships are online and stuff slowed down there's a huge surplus of cargo capacity. There was a point where you could send an entire full-sized cargo container around the world for like $400. With freight so incredibly cheap it makes a lot of stupid production routes (like shuttling ore back and forth around the world for each step of some process) affordable.

We could probably scrap like a quarter to a half of the cargo ship fleet, especially the older less efficient ships, and not even feel it on a personal level.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

Also in the 2000's companies started to massively overbuild their cargo ship fleets thinking that freight would continue to exponentially grow forever, and now that a bunch of the ships are online and stuff slowed down there's a huge surplus of cargo capacity. There was a point where you could send an entire full-sized cargo container around the world for like $400. With freight so incredibly cheap it makes a lot of stupid production routes (like shuttling ore back and forth around the world for each step of some process) affordable.

We could probably scrap like a quarter to a half of the cargo ship fleet, especially the older less efficient ships, and not even feel it on a personal level.

But see capitalism is the most efficient way to distribute resources and furthermore *faaaaaaaaart*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

The ubiquitous unified shipping containers are often built in China with the intent of being filled with cheap Chinese goods, and then never intended to be returned to China. It's actually cheaper to just build a new container than it is to be sent back.

Not like they don't get a use in the US, but it's apparently very easy to just flat out buy a shipping container that hasn't been anywhere but that specific one way trip. Then again there's a place near me that just has a massive pile of used shipping containers just rusting away.

I like to think it was a ton of fun unloading a freighter in the 70's before they were invented and you'd literally never know what you would find, or where you would find it.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1075416926774530048?s=19

Paying to kill your whistleblowing employee for reporting your exploited labor is as Late Stage Capitalism as it can get.

yeah under early capitalism the police wouldve done it for free

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

wanna see that dude's opinion of work clothes after a day of working at farmer john's

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I do change into a different person. Adopting different identities in different situations is normal and expected of you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Who builds a tree house in the morning before going to work :psyduck:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1075209895304138753

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

hackbunny posted:

I do change into a different person. Adopting different identities in different situations is normal and expected of you

I'm not even sure if there is a "real me" which could be distilled out of any relationship to the outside world.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Definitely a white guy thing to wonder why people act differently in different situations

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

All social media is AIDS

I literally saw something on ESPN in a hotel that said BREAKING NEWS: (sports player) tweeted "LEGGGO" at (sports players) then deleted it"

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sorry I wear a work uniform at the lumber mill because gently caress you im gonna ruin my nice clothes and shoes at work.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nobody tell him "fancy clothes are fun but fragile" or he'll have an existential despair.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I feel like those people do not understand the proper usage of quotation marks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really cant imagine why people aren't wearing the Sunday best to the mechanic shop

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
getting really worked up over a tank girl quote

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gonna need a sample to see if it works

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

so! they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

T-man posted:

gonna need a sample to see if it works

Before & After

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

buck ain't even got a drat boner. how's he know it works.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I really cant imagine why people aren't wearing the Sunday best to the mechanic shop

I'm pretty sure he's saying the exact opposite. And to be fair, attaching societal value to certain outfits is absolutely capitalist as hell, especially when the distinguished outfit tends to require more money to buy and upkeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm pretty sure he's saying the exact opposite. And to be fair, attaching societal value to certain outfits is absolutely capitalist as hell, especially when the distinguished outfit tends to require more money to buy and upkeep.

When non‐capitalists cultures do it, it’s called “ceremonial” wear.