Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That'll buff out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So lets talk CO detection.

I bought one of these. https://sensorcon.com/products/portable-carbon-monoxide-detector-meter They have a discount for pilots currently "aircraft2017" is the code.

Pretty shocking to see the levels fluctuate during flight and ground manoeuvring.

In the air it was 4-10 ppm depending on how the vents were configured. On the ground it was 10-36 with the 36 showing up when I turned around at the pumps.

Those paper things really don't seem very useful after this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

helno posted:

So lets talk CO detection.

I bought one of these. https://sensorcon.com/products/portable-carbon-monoxide-detector-meter They have a discount for pilots currently "aircraft2017" is the code.

Pretty shocking to see the levels fluctuate during flight and ground manoeuvring.

In the air it was 4-10 ppm depending on how the vents were configured. On the ground it was 10-36 with the 36 showing up when I turned around at the pumps.

Those paper things really don't seem very useful after this.

Yes - they are absolutely invaluable. I’ll never fly without the sensorcons ever again.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Have you had one age out?

The standard life is 2 years and it can be extended with regular calibrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
While waiting for our passengers to show up, I heard an airline crew actually ask ATC for a new transponder code today, since the controller gave them 6667 with their clearance, which makes Jesus sad or something.

After a couple of minutes the controller came back with "Squawk 6660" (he said the other codes were all assigned), at which point the FO and I started cracking up enough that the flight attendants could hear us from the back of the plane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

While waiting for our passengers to show up, I heard an airline crew actually ask ATC for a new transponder code today, since the controller gave them 6667 with their clearance, which makes Jesus sad or something.

After a couple of minutes the controller came back with "Squawk 6660" (he said the other codes were all assigned), at which point the FO and I started cracking up enough that the flight attendants could hear us from the back of the plane.

4666 was generated in our facility pretty often and there was always one local pilot that would ask to have it changed.

Frankly I'd accept Satan's blessing and carry on, but it's the south, so I get it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

X666 beacon codes are pretty common. ERAM swill assign a 666 CID as well. Having both marks you for special handling.

The computer spit out a 3248 beacon code the other day for N3248B, which amused both of us.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 19, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Requesting code 6969. Will wait for availability.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I love a good x666 or 666x squawk. :discourse:

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.
We can request specific codes in Canada and as long as it's not already assigned or reserved the computer will give it to us. One guy I worked with (now retired) once requested 6666 for JZA666.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Finnair flight 666 to HEL makes final Friday 13th departure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Varlock posted:

We can request specific codes in Canada and as long as it's not already assigned or reserved the computer will give it to us. One guy I worked with (now retired) once requested 6666 for JZA666.

Strange, that flight appears to go from London, ON to YYZ. I figured flight 666 would go to hell, not depart from it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Strange, that flight appears to go from London, ON to YYZ. I figured flight 666 would go to hell, not depart from it.

Its the number of the beast, sometimes he needs to do stuff on earth too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I live in SC and every day for the last 15 years I have dropped to my knees and praised the dark lord Mammon for all the collection plate calls that never happen thanks to my xx-13-666 phone number

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Been 6666 plenty of times. Fine by me. 0666 would be more concerning...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Been 6666 plenty of times. Fine by me. 0666 would be more concerning...

In ten years it will let you use 666 and a devil emoji.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

In ten years it will let you use 666 and a devil emoji.

YOLO flight 420 cleared to LIT squawk 🤔🅱️💯😂

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 20, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Take a hit, crack a Pepsi and take that poo poo to FL410

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm pretty sure the fleet manager for our Q400 fleet is just looking for ways to make the airplane even more complicated to fly.

With a procedure change that came out recently, the pilot monitoring now has to accomplish all of the following in the roughly 30 seconds it takes to descend from 1000' to 500' AGL on landing, which all starts with the flying pilot calling "flaps 35, below the line", at 1000 AGL.

1:Make sure the airspeed is exactly 150kts, and say "speed checks". If the airspeed is anything but 150kt , they're not allowed to touch the flaps.
2:Set the flaps to 35 (they need about 8 seconds to actually move to this position)
3:Spin the altitude alerter to the missed approach altitude, hit the ALT SEL button.
4: State "alerter for missed approach altitude (altitude) set"
5:Go to the overhead panel, verify that the bleeds are set properly
6:Check the ref speeds switch position
7:Verify both FMS's are on the NAV 1 page, change them if they aren't.
8:Read "Flaps 35 set, FMS both NAV, bleeds on, ref speeds off, landing checklist complete" off the checklist.
9:State that the aircraft is indeed cleared to land on the correct runway.

All of this is supposed to happen while they're also monitoring what the flying pilot is doing, so it's a good thing that we're not trying to land an airplane or anything while we're doing all this crap.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 20, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

azflyboy posted:

the good idea fairy visited (and took a giant poo poo)

I would seriously write the responsible party an email asking if anyone thought to actually try this out

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Nah, if you want to see sparks fly just start submitting ASAPs and anonymous notes to the FAA. Clearly this checks in the sim so it'll work out on the line, right? :lol:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butt Reactor posted:

Nah, if you want to see sparks fly just start submitting ASAPs and anonymous notes to the FAA. Clearly this checks in the sim so it'll work out on the line, right? :lol:

Just ASAP it, and get your coworkers to ASAP it.

Writing notes to the FSDO is potentially not anonymous. ASAP works, if you give it time.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure the fleet manager for our Q400 fleet is just looking for ways to make the airplane even more complicated to fly.

With a procedure change that came out recently, the pilot monitoring now has to accomplish all of the following in the roughly 30 seconds it takes to descend from 1000' to 500' AGL on landing, which all starts with the flying pilot calling "flaps 35, below the line", at 1000 AGL.

1:Make sure the airspeed is exactly 150kts, and say "speed checks". If the airspeed is anything but 150kt , they're not allowed to touch the flaps.
2:Set the flaps to 35 (they need about 8 seconds to actually move to this position)
3:Spin the altitude alerter to the missed approach altitude, hit the ALT SEL button.
4: State "alerter for missed approach altitude (altitude) set"
5:Go to the overhead panel, verify that the bleeds are set properly
6:Check the ref speeds switch position
7:Verify both FMS's are on the NAV 1 page, change them if they aren't.
8:Read "Flaps 35 set, FMS both NAV, bleeds on, ref speeds off, landing checklist complete" off the checklist.
9:State that the aircraft is indeed cleared to land on the correct runway.

All of this is supposed to happen while they're also monitoring what the flying pilot is doing, so it's a good thing that we're not trying to land an airplane or anything while we're doing all this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fVL4AQEW8&t=169s

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Jesus it’s a Q400 not the Space Shuttle. Three green? Flaps down? Okie dokie!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Jesus it’s a Q400 not the Space Shuttle. Three green? Flaps down? Okie dokie!

Space shuttle doesn't have landing procedures like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4cfIyNvts

(its under auto pilot until subsonic)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

drat I wanna do that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Take the thinking out of it guys- auto flaps is the best thing out there. I just have to not overspeed my gear and that’s it!!’

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

"Gonna get to log some instrument time on this one." Amazing.

Related note but 1000% less cool, I finally got to log actual instrument time for the first time doing the long XC for my instrument rating this week. Just gotta find a DPE to get the checkride scheduled now and I can... start prepping to do my commercial check ride in 40 more hours :D.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The most interesting thing to me about that is while the “chatter” is really “friendly” the four people on the flight deck are all actually raising concerns or confirming the status of the spacecraft with each thing said even if they’re teasing each other slightly at the same time.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAaMuTRGP6k

At 56 minutes they're talking about the velcro that was supposed to hold them in place and then casually mention "we're coming up on mach 17.2" Like hurtling through the atmosphere at 17 times the speed of sound while surrounded by a ball of super heated plasma is just another Tuesday for them.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

The most interesting thing to me about that is while the “chatter” is really “friendly” the four people on the flight deck are all actually raising concerns or confirming the status of the spacecraft with each thing said even if they’re teasing each other slightly at the same time.

Meh, it's sport bitching. Everyone gets off on the glamour of being wronged by the controlling party's manipulation or incompetence. If they actually cared about the weather that much, they would just ask.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAaMuTRGP6k

At 56 minutes they're talking about the velcro that was supposed to hold them in place and then casually mention "we're coming up on mach 17.2" Like hurtling through the atmosphere at 17 times the speed of sound while surrounded by a ball of super heated plasma is just another Tuesday for them.

The moment that video started all the voices were immediately familiar to me to a creepy degree. After some thought, I skipped to the end, and sure enough, this is the tape they ripped the audio snippets for F-Sim from!

That being said, y'all should check out F-Sim for tablets...well worth the 3 bucks or whatever it is. It's a Shuttle landing simulator. At the expense of modeling this tiny segment of a flight, it's a super realistic game unlike most other stupid tablet/phone flight games.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 22, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Passed recurrent, good for another year :toot:

Now it's time to dig into CFI renewal CBTs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All I want for Christmas is for my struggling student to actually do a goddamn flare acceptably.

Yesterday: wild ballooning. Today: severe nosewheel abuse.

I had a dude doing his first circuits today too and he was doing a better flare, why can't I get through to this other chap for love or money? Everything else is solo-ready in terms of procedures and flying the circuit, but I'm not going to send you until there's a decent chance you won't land on the loving nosewheel, jesus christ al-loving-mighty! 1 hour in the circuit and not a single quality landing...

I guess at least he didn't try flaring at like 50 feet like he did that one time a while back, I'm still picking bits of the seat out my arsecrack from that one.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I had a conversation with a student awhile back where I told him that it was an instant stage check fail to three-point a landing because of all the shimmy damper issues we've had

we then proceeded to fly a short XC and he came in a little fast, but he really wanted to land. so he carefully put *only* the nosewheel on the runway. And you know what? Wasn't a three pointer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

all the shimmy damper issues we've had

Oh word, you've got those too? Yeah I can't imagine what they're coming from.... :v:

The one thing I'm careful with with all my students is making sure they don't get discouraged during the "hard loving landing on the mains" stage. The mains will take a poo poo-kicking, at least if the nosewheel is clear, I don't give a gently caress. Finesse will come, at least at that point you've got the basics of the technique in hand. I made a (wonderfully flared, thankfully) landing during my student days where it was so goddamn hard I was worried I'd done damage to the plane, but, nope, she's fine. Keep that nosewheel up, and APPLY RUDDER to stay straight, and a C172 will be fine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
At the risk of backseat instructing, have you asked where he's looking in the flare and checked that he's sitting high enough? When I instructed, I figured out that a lot of flare issues were down to the student looking at the runway right in front of the nose (instead of at the end of it), and I had a couple who were sitting too low to really see the runway when the nose was raised.

If that doesn't help, try having them keep the airplane just off the runway (or look outside while you do it) in ground effect on a couple of passes, since that gives them more time to figure out what the sight picture should look like.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was going to say... I couldn’t land for poo poo for a long time. I had every instructor tell me to look down the runway. I just never got it.

And then I switched instructors and he told me to “look at the end of the runway.”

That made all the difference. So maybe it’s just a phrasing thing? I thought I was looking down the runway but looking at the end of pavement did it for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

At the risk of backseat instructing, have you asked where he's looking in the flare and checked that he's sitting high enough? When I instructed, I figured out that a lot of flare issues were down to the student looking at the runway right in front of the nose (instead of at the end of it), and I had a couple who were sitting too low to really see the runway when the nose was raised.

If that doesn't help, try having them keep the airplane just off the runway (or look outside while you do it) in ground effect on a couple of passes, since that gives them more time to figure out what the sight picture should look like.

Advice is much appreciated, don't worry. One of the issues with our fleet is that some of the planes don't have height-adjustable seats, so the sight picture is a bit inconsistent. He's a pretty big guy so I know he has adequate visibility at least, but perhaps not quite as much in some planes as others. I have talked about looking at the end of the runway a bunch, because I've had that issue with other students, but I don't know if that's the issue. I find that usually results in a really jumpy, frantic attempt at flaring rather than just no flare at all, so I don't know that's what's happening but I'll keep in mind.

I'm going to try the low pass a few times I think, I'd already considered doing that. It helped one of my other students with his centreline alignment issues. I can't tell if the issue is more with theory or practice, but I'm also considering breaking it down into a discussion of attitude+power=performance, then asking what happens when we have idle power and have only one control to use.

One thing's for sure: with new students, I am driving at attitude control hard. Yeah, attitudes and movements seems so boring and stupid as a whole lesson, but doing it right pays crazy dividends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
CFI trick: make them do low passes 50 foot off the runway 3 times. NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH.

3 passes at 10 feet at approach speed. NO TOUCHING.

3 passes at 5feet at approach speed. No touching.

Tell them one more low pass at 5 feet at approach speed. Then either cut the power or have them cut the power.