Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

If I remember correctly this was installed by some conmen in the early 00's. They blocked the door to the old lady's bedroom with a cardboard box whilst they worked, she only realised what they'd done when she went to bed in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dietcokefiend posted:

As I work on wrapping up a hidden fort I built into the side of my kids closet in a wall space above a staircase I'll need to share some of the crazy lengths of making a room for barely two kids fitting inside of it hold a god drat grizzly bear in terms of weight loading.

I'm gonna guess that you didn't start by cutting through the I-beams.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I only just now noticed that it's plugged into an outlet box dangling from the romex.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

spog posted:

I'm gonna guess that you didn't start by cutting through the I-beams.

Good lord it started by drilling through some 1960's multilayer drywall/plaster combo that coated a bedroom in dust and then I read about how asbestos was sometimes used in that era. It started stupid, but at least that lab test came back clean..

Since the floor of this project rested on 2x4's going at like a 45-degree angle, most of it was reinforcing it every way possible. If I can't break through it, my kids won't :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Good lord it started by drilling through some 1960's multilayer drywall/plaster combo that coated a bedroom in dust and then I read about how asbestos was sometimes used in that era. It started stupid, but at least that lab test came back clean..

Since the floor of this project rested on 2x4's going at like a 45-degree angle, most of it was reinforcing it every way possible. If I can't break through it, my kids won't :v:

Super-reinforced floors, asbestos-testing. Man, you've really got a thing about not maiming your children!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

spog posted:

Super-reinforced floors, asbestos-testing. Man, you've really got a thing about not maiming your children!

Don't worry though, I'm getting a framing nailer for Christmas for the ultimate goal of using it remodeling my master bathroom. Thankfully traditional joists. But I'm going to be moving a couple walls and probably a toilet and plumbing stack.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I've been considering running some conduit for wiring, because while we don't show a ton of wireless networks in the area we do get interference from different kinds of monitors and stuff that is very irritating to deal with.

Sitting in my office there are 25 different networks that show up on my phone. I don't think that's even all of them, as the list isn't consistent and there are probably others that stay hidden. It's weird to think how short a time it took to go from wireless networks being brand new to saturating areas with too many that they start interference.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I've been considering running some conduit for wiring, because while we don't show a ton of wireless networks in the area we do get interference from different kinds of monitors and stuff that is very irritating to deal with.

Sitting in my office there are 25 different networks that show up on my phone. I don't think that's even all of them, as the list isn't consistent and there are probably others that stay hidden. It's weird to think how short a time it took to go from wireless networks being brand new to saturating areas with too many that they start interference.

The most magical moment at my current house was finding a pathway for cat6 to go from the basement up to the attic above the 2nd floor by only pulling. I have this brick and block construction place with a lot of wire mesh in some walls that destroys wifi signal. On the upside I can see all my neighbors, but I couldn't do poo poo myself without a centrally located AP. First order of business was getting my home media stuff like the Apple TV hardwired so Netflix wasn't buffering on my 250/50mb fiber connection. Wifi makes me so sad these days.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That Ethernet feeling when Plex just streams a 4k video without deciding it needs transcoding :allears:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i ran cat 6a around the house for future proofing and when i swapped the hardware up to 10 gig it was surreal

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

As I work on wrapping up a hidden fort I built into the side of my kids closet in a wall space above a staircase I'll need to share some of the crazy lengths of making a room for barely two kids fitting inside of it hold a god drat grizzly bear in terms of weight loading.

Childhood me is jealous as gently caress of the kids with the hidden fort built by their awesome dad.

Hell, adult me wants one.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

spog posted:

Childhood me is jealous as gently caress of the kids with the hidden fort built by their awesome dad.

Hell, adult me wants one.

Feast your childhood dreams on this:

https://m.imgur.com/a/sdtRiJm

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that is the raddest loving thing ever.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That's pretty sweet

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah that rules

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Should be finalized in a week or so. Did a quick overview on Reddit, but probably going to work on a more detailed overview here. Such an awesome and fulfilling project as a dad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TheMadMilkman posted:

There are at least 15 home wifi networks in range of my townhouse. I'll gladly stick to Ethernet connections for anything even remotely important.

Just name your network "FBI surveillance" or some poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

Zero. Look at the back of the TV. They didn't even cut the drywall straight.

To do that properly you'd need a header and jack studs. To put those in that you'd need cut back more drywall and then patch. It's pretty obvious from the "workmanship" none of that was done.

Well, yeah, I meant “what are the odds” rhetorically, but yup, exactly as you said it. The entire job involved one tool: a recip saw.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg are you gonna draw a treasure map leading to the fort and give it to them for christmas???!?!!!!!

plz put artificial grass on the platform

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
... im just saying secret lock thingy would be about the only thing to make it into dadjesus territory

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

peanut posted:

omg are you gonna draw a treasure map leading to the fort and give it to them for christmas???!?!!!!!

plz put artificial grass on the platform

Treasure map is my goal. And not for Christmas. Santa didn’t bust his rear end making this... there will be no doubt who did.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

... im just saying secret lock thingy would be about the only thing to make it into dadjesus territory

The door is going to be a decoy type door. But no lock, this is going to have a magnet. Can’t have a little guy getting trapped in a wall.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you do have an excellent point there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The one suggestion I have is to strongly emphasize that it's not a place to hide in a fire. Kids may just do exactly that in a panic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he assures us that it will be smooth as glass

someday

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is that expanding foam to fill in the poo poo concrete job?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar
Behold the loving majesty:

They strung up lovely mood lighting to try and hide, well, everything.

Just look at that concrete! Look at all the patches they've done to it already and it's only just been made.

Does anyone here know if you need to use a special mix for concrete when underground?

Also, I just found out from the Musk thread that they used the poo poo they dug up when tunnelling as aggregate when making the concrete.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 20, 2018

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dietcokefiend posted:

some 1960's multilayer drywall/plaster combo

Sounds like plaster on rock lath. Rock lath was like drywall in that it came in 1/2" thickness sheets and spanned several studs. It also had regularly spaced holes in it for a mechanical bond as well. Eventually, installers figured out that it was faster, cheaper and more uniform to just put up sheets of the stuff without holes in it and just patch the nails and seams.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 20, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
JFC rock lathe, I hate that poo poo. Thick, flimsy.

My growing-up home was originally built in the 1890s, but suffered a partial fire in the early 60s. The upstairs walls were an honest 18 inches thick minimum, and most walls had the layers arranged as such (moving from core to outer drywall): Studding, rock lath, 1" gap studding, plywood, sometimes bare lath spacer, drywall. I may have these layers mixed up, but that is the correct number of them. Yes, each wall has effectively 3-5 air gaps.

On the plus side, you could hang anything under 25 pounds pretty much anywhere, using the plywood. On the negative side, everything else. Also, in most of the house, the core studs were sprayed with this perma-goop silver stuff (kinda looks and feels like antiseize), that never really cured all the way. We were told that it was sprayed on the wood that didn't burn, but was exposed to smoke damage. In some rooms, instead of a lath spacer, there was medium-density fiberboard. You know, on rooms that never see moisture, like the bathroom and kitchen.

The basement was normal studding/drywall (it didn't burn, and we ripped the combination wallpaper/plaster or rock lathe out when we moved in when I was 3). The upstairs doors appeared to be sunk into the wall, on both sides. An absolute bitch of a house to keep cool or hot, with floor registers and also floor cold air returns. Bonus was excellent soundproofing, though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They strung up lovely mood lighting to try and hide, well, everything.

Just look at that concrete! Look at all the patches they've done to it already and it's only just been made.

Does anyone here know if you need to use a special mix for concrete when underground?

Also, I just found out from the Musk thread that they used the poo poo they dug up when tunnelling as aggregate when making the concrete.

How to disrupt the construction estimation industry

by E. Musk

1. Determine length of tunnel to be paved

2. Obtain maximum quoted speed of Paving machine

3. Divide 1. by 2.

4. Obtain rate for paver operators from fiverr.com

5. multiply 3. by 4.

6. Ring up the crew every day and ask how many meters they've done

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Wait 18" interior walls? That sounds absurd. I'm trying to imagine all the walls in my house being 50% thicker than our 12" pocket door walls (basically double interior walls), and oh god it's really weird. How did door casings work?? Didn't walls that thick start to not insignificantly eat into the square footage?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it is absurd, though the house was large for its era and area (around 1700 square feet measured) that it wasn't terrible at first glance. But trying to do anything on that house was...ugh. My father's an electrician and we ran CAT 5 to every room, along with multiple coax, outlets, phone, and other lines. Many, many extended auger drill bits and glow rods died in the modernization of that house. Every door was a custom job in order to get it to work properly, especially as the foundation is always shifting and settling, even 120+ years later.

Oh, also the foundation is river rock and used to leak when it rained heavily! We had to dig around the entire foundation and re-seal with concrete and this weird plastic sheeting.

E: Also, due to it's age, the separation between properties is hilarious. The one on the left (third from the right).

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 20, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

The one suggestion I have is to strongly emphasize that it's not a place to hide in a fire. Kids may just do exactly that in a panic.
alternatively line it with asbestos after all

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Yea both kids are at daycare where they do training for stuff like fire drills and active shooter drills (jfc, what a world). So they have that type of training started where you want to leave a place when there is smoke/fire.

My Lovely Horse posted:

alternatively line it with asbestos after all

There is always this option.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar
Hatch which opens onto the roof and a length of rope to climb down.

Boom, problem solved.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

You should install a hidden camera in there to capture their expressions when they first discover it. You can get wildlife sensor-based cameras designed to be strapped to a tree for months on end that only activate when they detect motion, and then record for a specific period of time before going into a low-power state again. That way you could have it ready to roll at any time!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember this scene from Batman Forever.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 20, 2018

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Queen Combat posted:

Also, in most of the house, the core studs were sprayed with this perma-goop silver stuff (kinda looks and feels like antiseize), that never really cured all the way. We were told that it was sprayed on the wood that didn't burn, but was exposed to smoke damage.

I've got that coating at my parents' house all over the basement. Fortunately, since it's unfinished, the coating cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

There is only 1 light on that pole.