Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. So these news stories raise the spectre that all there's extra fuckery in the cognitive space, beyond just Shido, and that breaking down his Palace didn't necessarily stop it.

...I wonder if it'll show up in Mementos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 178: 12/16-12/17: One Last Ride

Anon: moar like phantom GRIEF
Anon: Must be tough for Shido-san
Anon: Is Shido gonna apologize?
Anon: I’d never support them

Music: Disquiet

Well, we’re done with the video games. There’s only one outstanding goal left for us: finish the last of the Mementos requests. We’ll be tackling that today.

Among them, the United Future—led by Mr. Shido—has captured the hearts of many listeners. Mr. Shido still had not shown his face in public, and some people raised concerns about his health.
If Shido just spills the beans, everything will finally be over.

Let’s spend 5000 yen on this Money Reading, which we’ll make right back.

That is quite like you, Maaku. If your resolve is settled, I do not mind accompanying you.
Well, everyone’s here. This is a good opportunity to sort through the Mementos target info we have. We’ll start with this one first… This intel is on a malicious producer in the show biz world. Supposedly, he’s been using the dreams of young women for his own personal profit. I bet countless women have succumbed to his plot…
So there are other guys out there just like Kamoshida… This is unforgivable. We need to change his heart at once.
Very well. I will go along with this.
There are still more. Next is… This intel is on a foul young man who scams the elderly with all sorts of fraudulent businesses. At this point, he’s expanded this crime into a larger organization.
That’s bullshit! I can’t forgive someone who’s takin’ advantage of old people…! We gotta take that bastard down and make sure nobody else ends up gettin’ scammed by him!
I hate people like that. Let’s destroy them.
No objections, right? Mm… we’re good to go if you’re OK with it. That’s a unanimous decision! OK, all that’s left now is to take down the target in Mementos!

Only two targets today. One of them is the only S-rank target in the game, however. We’ll see what he has in store for us.

Oh, about our targets… It seems we have 2 to aim for right now. We should go.

Well, let’s head in.

Music: Mementos

It seems the number of areas we can go to has increased…
Well, more people know us than ever. But probably not for the right reasons though…
I’m sure this misunderstanding will be resolved once this is all over. Come, let us cheer up.
She’s right. Plus, there will be stronger enemies the deeper we go. We’ll need to stay careful.

One thing that I missed when taking my screencaps and truly do not care enough to go back and find in my footage is my using my first-ever Treasure Trap to try and catch some more Treasure Demons. I should have been using these all game because Treasure Demons can be kind of a pain and you need them all for 100%ing the Inmate Registry, ugh.

We’re not going to be doing a ton here today, so I grabbed some Mementos conversations to fill up the update. You’re welcome.

Finally… I’m tired of runnin’…
Just imagine what it’s like for me!

Yusuke learns Myriad Slashes, an attack that targets one enemy with 2-3 Medium Physical strikes, to replace Tempest Slash.

He’s some kinda scam artist, right?
Yes, and he only targets lonely, elderly people.
How could he do something so terrible…?
Now this is a man who requires a change of heart.

Music: Desire

Behind the scenes though, you guys must be making lots of money. Tell me how you do it.
Don’t lump us in the same category with scam artists like you!
Tricking nice old people into givin’ you their money… Just how big of a jerk are you?
Huh? That money’s my caregiver fee. I humor them and hear all their dumb small talk, don’t I? They blab on and on about how kind their son is. Well, that son has got some dumb parents! Hahaha!
Can you say something like that about your own parents!?
Aw, man. You Phantom Thieves are gettin’ on my nerves. Get outta here before I make you!

Let’s go!

This guy uses some stronger Physical moves, can Confuse the party, and has Diarahan to fully restore its health. He doesn’t get the opportunity to do much of that, though, because his health pool is piddly.

Morgana learns Magarudyne to replace Magarula.

And Ann learns Concentrate to replace Tentarafoo. Now she can boost the power of her next magic attack by 2.5x.

Music: Sunset Bridge

I’m sorry. I’m sorry…
It was really horrible of you to take advantage of people’s weakness like that.
What do you intend to do from now on?
I’ll visit the houses of everyone I tricked. I’ll apologize to them all before I turn myself in. I’ll confess everything I’ve done to my parents too. I’ll apologize for being such an idiot son.

If you knew how much pain you put your victims through, you would never have done this. Remember the shame you feel over what you’ve done, and do your best to make up for it.

This Haten Robe is very good and we equip it on Makoto.

Looking at this on a larger scale, this is the fifty-second area, yes? I wonder how many are left…
We’ll just have to find out with our own eyes! Let’s go!

“Sheriruth” is a distortion of “Shrirut,” which means arbitrariness or stubbornness.

Is it just my imagination, or is this place even creepier?
No, you’re right. Without exaggeration, this repugnant place is an assault on the senses.
Uh, sure, and the enemies here are gonna be pretty feisty, too! Be careful, all right?

Well, you’re in the third area on this floor. That makes it the 55th area overall.
Huh. So we passed the big five-o… Man, Mona, you were right. This place is astrologically big, or whatever you said.
Well… I’m surprised too…

Eventually we come to a rest area, where we partake in a new conversation.

What are you talking about?
Oh, uh… I’m talkin’ about the Shadows on the trains in Mementos. They just line up on the platform… and let ‘emselves get taken away. Does that mean they’re OK with goin’ down into the depths? But why…?

Surprisingly insightful question from Ryuji.

I’m not sure… Do you know, Mona?
Well… there’s no way to be sure unless we go down and see the end of the line ourselves…
Maybe it’s some kinda paradise. It’d make sense for them to wanna go down there if that was it.
A metaphorical Shangri-La for the masses… Is such a place truly held in the depths of this eerie Palace?

Anyway, further in we find a new Treasure Demon. We see a lot of these things this run due to that Treasure Trap.

Hey, where are we right now?
Umm, this should be around the halfway point. There’s still another half to go.
Another half, she says…
Don’t focus on that! It’ll just make it seem longer!

Ryuji finally learns Charge, which will boost the damage of his next Physical attack by 2.5x. It will replace Shock Boost. This is unfortunately also the moment where Yusuke officially becomes completely obsolete. It’s like how in vanilla P4, only Chie got Power Charge, so there was no reason to use Kanji over her despite his better stats. Of course, then they gave him Power Charge in Golden and there was pretty much no reason to take Chie anymore, heh.

Hey, y’know, sometimes I think I wanna try bein’ the naviga--
I don’t think you’re cut out for it.
Man, shut up! You shot me down way too fast…

Goddammit, Yusuke.

I really hope so… We’ve been at this a while…
……

He’s acting like he owns the place.
He’s a producer in the world of entertainment, destroying the dreams of young girls, right?
I can’t let this go! I’m going, even if you try to stop me!
No one’s gonna stop you, so calm down! Let’s go!

Yeah, right! Just what are you doing to these girls!?
Oh, you’re getting the wrong idea. I’m just allowing them to promote themselves. They don’t understand that you have to pay a price to survive in this cutthroat industry. By the way, you guys seem like you’re pretty popular. Why don’t I be your producer? If I manage you, you could become household names in show business.
Don’t be stupid. We’re the ones who’ll be managing you.
Don’t get so full of yourselves, you amateur cosplayers! Fine, I’ll make sure you’re all blacklisted!

I’m too used to seeing this penis chariot. How’ve you been, buddy? It’s been a while.

Here we go!

Music: Keeper of Lust

All you gotta do is listen to what I say!

Well, this prick starts the battle with Tarukaja. He can use some weaker Physical moves like Lunge and Rampage, as well as Maragidyne. This doesn’t sound too bad, but a look at his datamined stats reveals that both his Strength and Magic are maxed out at 99.

He can also charge up. Thankfully, not only is he weak to Nuke, his Endurance is a paltry 10. We do a lot of damage very quickly, is what I’m saying. He also has terrible luck in this fight, considering I get more than one lucky crit off One-shot Kill. It’s just constant All-out Attacks on this guy. He also whiffs the only charged Lunge he manages to attempt, so this battle just goes terribly for him all around.

Yusuke learns Mabufudyne to replace Mabufula.

Makoto learns Mediarahan to replace Diarahan. She is now pretty much the backbone of our party. Just kidding, she already was.

Finally, Haru learns Mapsiodyne to replace Maspsio.

Music: Sunset Bridge

OK…
You’ve done whatever you wanted and caused a lot of damage. What do you plan to do about it now?
...I’ll apologize to the girls who I manage. I’ll do something to show them my sincerity.

That’s… kind of a slap on the wrist, buddy.

Sincerity? How!?
I-I’ll have to think about that. But I’ll try to make up for all I’ve done wrong, no matter what.

If I ever hear another bad rumor about you, you better be ready for us. OK!?

And… that’s every single Mementos request in the game. We’re done. Holy poo poo, a weight has fallen off my shoulders. This is incredible!

That Immortal Vest is also pretty great, and we equip it onto Maaku.

We can’t get past the door beyond where Asakura was, so we just head back up.

Fusin’ time.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Nebiros from Norn and Hanuman.

I will become your new mask and take control of your destiny…

Nebiros depictions vary, but the one the game uses is the one where he is the General of Hell who can control the dead.

Also, Thor from Melchizedek and King Frost.

The might of my hammer shall find a new home within your mask.

When he’s not a rather doofy Avenger, Thor is a Norse god, the son of Odin and wielder of the hammer Mjolnir, which can control lightning.

And that’s it for Mementos. I’m almost gonna miss this hosed-up place.

Those election cars are so obnoxious…
I ask for the support of you, my constituents!
It’s already election day…
Please vote for Masayoshi Shido!

Anon: was that statement a lie?
Anon: srsly, a tv hijack?
Anon: this is a murder warning…
Anon: just typical slander imo
Anon: a lil too late tho

Music: Beneath the Mask

We finally receive our packages.

Please, you must! I need you to see how sorry I am! You owe me that much, at least!
What the—you’re still being a self-absorbed man! I don’t NEED to do anything!
*sob* Please! I need you to! I need you to see me make up for all that I’ve done!

Take that, Asakura.

We’ve got literally nothing to do right now. We could theoretically fish, but we don’t have enough game time left to actually accomplish anything there. Instead, we’re going to spend our few remaining days getting swole.

Music: Everyday Days

Maaku gains 5 HP and 3 SP.

Anon: this site’s still up? :o
Anon: my scandal sense’s tingling!
Anon: This isn’t debunked yet?

Music: Disquiet

Me too, cat. Me too.

What sort of victory Shido’s United Future will claim still remains to be seen.
Tomorrow’s the day… All right, we’ll show you what we can do!

Gettin’ strong.

Maaku gains 5 HP and 3 SP.

The candidates are working extra hard. After all, voting does take place tomorrow.
Still nothing from Shido, huh…?

Hold on. We need to refrain from making ourselves stand out.
He’ll likely give some kind of speech after the election.
And when’s that gonna be?
Assuming it’s after the results come in, tomorrow night. I can only hope he actually confesses his crimes…

Uhhhhh, isn’t “after the results come in” kind of too loving late?

...So tomorrow’s the day. Our job’s finished. All we can do now is sit back and watch.

Mishima sent us some new messages.

Well, I can understand why. Anyway, #Millennials is getting to be even more famous than some celebrities. It really makes it feel worth it to support you. Keep up the good work!
We managed to save those girls’ dreams. If we can get idol fans on our side, our popularity will go through the roof!

Well, I for one want to strive to change that world. Anyway, I’ll be counting on you in the future too. I’m on your side!
We managed to meet people’s expectations this time too! I’m so proud of us. I think we may just solve the mystery of Mementos soon… I’m starting to feel anxious…

Let’s launder those items.

We just select the bottom four, even though only the bottom two will be the good stuff.

Because he’s now used to the treadmill, Maaku receives diminishing returns from it, and will have to switch to a new exercise next time. He gains 3 HP and 2 SP.

Those plus signs are very good for us, meaning we now have some very high-quality armor.

Sounds like he’s getting ready for tomorrow’s press conference.
Looks like there’s some kind of commotion going on…
It really seems like it’ll be a crushing victory for him.
It’s finally time for a new prime minister. History in the making!

Anon: So he didn’t die…
Anon: Shido, just take the win
Anon: TV hijacking is terrorism!
Anon: what about the election?
Anon: Show yourself, Akechi!

The election is tomorrow, and we’ve done everything we can. No choice now but to see what happens.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 4, 2019

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Arist posted:

Part 178: 12/16-12/17: One Last Ride

Ryuji finally learns Charge, which will boost the damage of his next Physical attack by 2.5x. It will replace Shock Boost. This is unfortunately also the moment where Yusuke officially becomes completely obsolete. It’s like how in vanilla P4, only Chie got Power Charge, so there was no reason to use Kanji over her despite his better stats. Of course, then they gave him PowerB Charge in Golden and there was pretty much no reason to take Chie anymore, heh.

Chie got a full party Heat Riser plus she crits like crazy, what other use is there for teammates 4 :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure Kanji and Chie accidentally switched movesets somewhere in production. Like, Chie has pretty balanced stats across the board but she only gets first level ice skills and everything else is for physical assault. Meanwhile Kanji gets Elec Boost/Break/Amp and Maziodyne and a nice buff skill but he has literally the worst magic stat and no SP to use it with anyway.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

TheKirbs posted:

Chie got a full party Heat Riser plus she crits like crazy, what other use is there for teammates 4 :colbert:

Dragon Hustle cost more than half of Chie's maximum SP though so it was really impractical.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

this prick

:haw:

vvvvvv Everybody in Golden gets OP as gently caress

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 16, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't they also rework Naoto from being 'not very useful' to 'too useful' in vanilla to Golden?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Also, Chie is cool and that's reason enough to use her.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wiseblood posted:

Dragon Hustle cost more than half of Chie's maximum SP though so it was really impractical.

It's a solved problem: Yukiko/Teddie throw an SP item at Chie, 3 ma-tier buffs for 2 actions.
In my opinion the problem is that evade (de)buffs are not really needed for 99% of P4 and 5 content when marakukaja plus matarunda fulfills all your defensive needs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And then P5R will make Yusuke absurdly powerful and make Futaba even more bonkers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If Shido knew this was coming... crap. He's got a body double, hasn't he? The conspiracy's just going to rattle on without him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why doesn't Morgana get stat bonuses, he's right there exercising with you?

Also, does anyone think Kawakami would wear other costumes? The idea of a Not!Kamen Rider coming to do your laundry/ make curry is amusing to me.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Did Shido's change of heart go through? What will happen next? WILL THE loving NPCS STOP BEING BLIND loving SHEEP!?

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON ARIST-SONA FIVE! THE END OF SHIDO?!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure Kanji and Chie accidentally switched movesets somewhere in production. Like, Chie has pretty balanced stats across the board but she only gets first level ice skills and everything else is for physical assault. Meanwhile Kanji gets Elec Boost/Break/Amp and Maziodyne and a nice buff skill but he has literally the worst magic stat and no SP to use it with anyway.

Doesn't 2 Primal Forces from Kanji do more than a Power Charged God Hand from Chie? Sure, a bit costly in the HP department, but by that time, you have Mediarahan to top off your party when necessary. I never did play Golden, so this is just vanilla talking though.

I think I swapped to Kanji after I got him but used Chie from time to time as well to keep her leveled. Never did use Teddie though, and Naoto came way too late since by that time my preferred party comp was decided. Still used her from time to time to keep her leveled and to kill trash quickly though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The pro strat was to use both Chie and Kanji, because Physical attacks were king in P4.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Kanji does generally more damage per turn than Chie does, but that is largely irrelevant because P4 doesn't take much effort to beat. Golden was basically "use your favorites and ignore the rest, we don't really mind."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Haifisch posted:

The pro strat was to use both Chie and Kanji, because Physical attacks were king in P4.

Also because they were the two best usable party members, character-wise, which is what really matters

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Kemix posted:

WILL THE loving NPCS STOP BEING BLIND loving SHEEP!?

My God, the NPC meme is real!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Also, does anyone think Kawakami would wear other costumes? The idea of a Not!Kamen Rider coming to do your laundry/ make curry is amusing to me.

There's a feature for Persona 5 Super Platinum (available only on the Switch) for you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 179: 12/18-12/19: Triumph And Skullduggery

Anon: dat comeback looool
Anon: It’s happening again…

Music: Suspicion

Unfortunately, public opinion hasn’t changed at all. Shido will most likely win in a landslide victory.
It seems his change of heart will be coming too late.
We’ll just have to see what happens. We’ve done all we can.
That reminds me, the video of us declaring war against him never showed up on TV.
Seriously!?
I was wondering about that.
The TV stations were probably pressured not to show it.
Most likely. I don’t think that’s something Shido’s influence alone could have accomplished. The true cause of this might exist elsewhere…
I dunno that really get it, but all we can do now is wait for the change of heart, yeah?
Yep.
Let’s wait for the election results as well.

The votes are overwhelmingly in favor of Shido! I knew it!
I’m certain that Masayoshi Shido will win…
How long are the polls open?
Mr. Shido sights are already on the next party election…

Anon: Show yourself, Akechi!
Anon: moar like phantom GRIEF
Anon: may just be election poo poo
Anon: must be tough for Shido-san
Anon: Is Shido gonna apologize?

Here are the latest of the exit polls. As you can see…
I’m curious to see the commentary on the election.
He’s practically guaranteed to win! I knew it!
Shinjuku has a high voter turnout, likely due to Shido’s following.

Anon: dat comeback looool
Anon: wow, ppl are desperate…
Anon: It’s happening again…

According to exit polls, voter turnout was unusually high. Mr. Shido has garnered overwhelming support… and it is said that his position is guaranteed. It’s almost time for Mr. Shido’s policies to become a reality…

Anon: this site’s still up? :o
Anon: Stay strong, Shido-san!
Anon: My scandal sense’s tingling!
Anon: This isn’t debunked yet?

I knew it was gonna be Shido.
There was no reason to hold an election.
That is why…

Music: Regret

I also manipulated the information that the Phantom Thieves were behind the series of incidents. The one who controlled the hearts of others and gave rise to the countless victims… is myself. It was all for my own promotion… for my own selfish gain.

I’ve even used people’s lives as stepping stones in order to claim this country as my own ship. I am a true criminal that can be tried for any crime, and it still wouldn’t be enough!

What about crimes against grammar?

If I could atone for all I’ve done with my life, I request that I be judged at once…

This can’t be true! Shido-san!

Music: Alleycat

Hell yeaaaaah!

Allow me to say a few words… Now then…
He’s started taking charge.
Come now, don’t be that way.
If you’re gonna complain, say it to Shido. A legislator’s pin’s worth almost nothing. Well then, so, since the source of evil, Masayoshi Shido, has been--
I got to avenge… my mom. It’s all… thanks… to everyone.

I was able to settle a debt in regard to my father as well.
We all worked so hard for this…
*sniff* *sob*
Shido’s guilty, right, Sis?
...It’ll be difficult to prosecute him immediately. But I’ll do this thoroughly until the causality between his other crimes can be proven. I believe Wakaba-san’s research results will save Japan.

Great idea! How the gently caress’s that gonna work, genius!?

Thank you, but I’ll be fine. I don’t want to add any more unwanted suspicions on any of you. It’s about time you let us adults prove that we can get our act together.

After the lessons taught by the entire rest of this game, I’m not so sure about that one.

I believe it’ll be fine for him to return to school.

poo poo

It’s true that your face will be recognized among those involved… But I doubt they’ll take a firm action like suddenly coming to arrest him. At least, they won’t do ti until the uproar with your “suicide” and Shido’s confession have died down. Eventually though, the situation where you and I will be used as scapegoats can’t be avoided…

Yeah, we’re going to jail, so what. gently caress, I’m not ready for more school.

...You mean in regard to faking his death. That wouldn’t have happened to begin with had the police done their job properly.
Of course, I plan on doing everything I can. I will protect you all this time. Prosecuting Shido is that first step.

Right. Let’s get to it! Uhh, today is truly--

Sae checks her phone.

I need to go. It seems Shido’s been transferred to a hospital.

Considering that he’s finally back, all of you need to take your education seriously again.

I saw the conference! But something’s not right. It’s like nobody’s reacting to it… There hasn’t been any kind of movement on the forum either.

Yeah. It doesn’t make any sense, right? Support for the Phantom Thieves didn’t even increase after they made their announcement… Anyway, maybe I’ll try changing the poll question. It’d be odd asking people if they support the Phantom Thieves now that so much has changed. All right, I’ll find out what people really think! Just wait!

Well, let’s leave the popularity stuff to Mishima for now.

Well, overall, Shido’s new party won by a landslide… However, there are some who support my arguments. The world isn’t all bad. Without you, none of this would have been possible. Thank you. The true battle is about to begin. Let’s both work hard.

Masayoshi Shido’s United Future has claimed a large majority of the seats. With this result, a new cabinet is expected to be in place by the end of the month.
He won the election, but Niijima will do something about it.

Can’t wait to check up on Newspaper Club Member.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

We changed the heart of someone huge like the next prime minister. There’s no better finale than that.

I’m sure you’ll be fine now. You can manage without me being with you.

Totally. Why don’t you leave right now, in fact?

Heh… Of course. Don’t worry. I won’t leave immediately.

I’m a bit envious of you. Here I am… Still haven’t found anything about myself… If only I could find out what’s in the depths of Mementos…

You okay, cat?

Yeah, you’re fine.

If a case is assembled against him… everything about us will be exposed too… What are we supposed to do…?

Prosecutor Niijima is serious about taking Shido-san to court, right!?

Yes, I’m aware… But even if we prevent her from doing so, what about the public? Shido-san’s conduct was shameful…

A… rich country?
You mean that plan of advancing foreign affairs by controlling people’s hearts…?
...After all, the research on it should be proceeding along. We’ll push that plan forward and continue eliminating any who get in our way by using that world…

Oh great! More Metaverse bullshit! No idea how they plan to accomplish this without Akechi, though.

We’ll pledge to build a powerful country. We ourselves will meet the expectations we had of Shido-san.
A powerful country, huh…? I see.
But even if we do pick up where he left off, would his other associates keep quiet about it?
...We should be fine in that regard. Anyone who Shido-san aided would feel that their life is at stake after watching that conference… Just as we are now…
At any rate, it seems we must first stop that case from being assembled, no matter the cost.
How do we control public opinion?
Thankfully, support for Shido-san still exists. Masayoshi Shido was a hero who fell before achieving his goals, and we will carry his torch… That’s what we’ll announce to the mass media.
...I see. Considering the public’s panic after losing their leader, they may latch onto that immediately…
But if the general public becomes our enemy… we’re done for.
That means… there’s no turning back. Well then, leave Niijima to my group… Can we rely on yours in regards to Shido-san?
We’ll make it so that he requires a psychiatric evaluation.
Everyone… we’re in the same boat. You had best not forget that…

Well, gently caress.

Anon: why this. even now???
Anon: --- GAME OVER ---
Anon: The election was a farce.
Anon: who cares abt the election?

Weird question, Mishima.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

A full month just wasn’t long enough for me.

Come on, don’t say that. This is better than living in hiding, right? Whoa, this is no time to be chatting. You can’t be late on the first day back. Now, let’s go to school.

He said some strange stuff.
The government would be in trouble if Shido-san collapsed now…
I thought we could count on him…
What’s going to happen?

Anon: soooo is shido alive?
Anon: cmon thieves, say something
Anon: this is hosed up…
Anon: kill this stupid website
Anon: What’s with this question?

Music: Suspicion

I can’t believe he turned out to be a criminal…
But, didn’t the leader of the Phantom Thieves commit suicide? That “comeback” video posted online right before the election—it’s real?
I dunno what’s going on anymore. Opinions are all over the place online. What’s this mean for the election? This country’s in trouble—we have no prime minister.
It happened so suddenly. Can’t blame anyone for being confused.

Music: So Boring

Woohoo!

The year’s already ending, huh? So much has happened that it’s like “where did all the time go?” Oh, but it’s not over for you yet. You still have finals for three days, from tomorrow to the 22nd.

Ah, poo poo.

I’m sure you already knew that though, right? There’s no way you haven’t started studying yet.

Hehehe, yeah, of course, what kind of idiot wouldn’t be prepared? Oh god.

I should really get some kind of exemption for my, er, “family issues.”

They’re coming, whether you like it or not. Well, good luck.
This is the first thing we get after coming to school for the first time in a while? Have you been studying?

Cat, you’ve been with me the entire time. You know that the answer to that question is “gently caress no.”

Why isn’t it making any news?
Is it because he’s a politician?
I have no doubt that political connections are involved. But that theoretically shouldn’t have an impact on the news…

Makoto, further demonstrating her incredible naivete.

What about all the people who saw him on TV? They HAD to see that! Everyone should’ve heard him say all that heavy stuff, right?
Right. What happened can’t be kept secret. It’ll be apparent soon.
Makoto’s sister is working on a case too! I’m sure we’ll see the results of that if we just wait patiently.
Let’s assume so. More importantly, we have exams coming up…
I think they may have come at a good time. We’ve really gone through a lot lately. Everyone must be tired.
It certainly was a good deal of trouble…
Uh, exams are more tiring than any poo poo we’ve been doing…
Good luck, you guys!

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Gee, thanks Sojiro.

I was busy dealing with some of Shido’s cronies.

You were busy for the entire four weeks I was out of school?

Well, you ARE students, so it’s only fitting you’re doing a study group.
You’re gonna bring us some snacks now and then, right?
You don’t even have exams…

Oh, glad to see you all. Don’t mind me. Make yourselves at home.
You’re too kind. We’ll take you up on that offer.
Why did you bring me here? My school’s exams are already over.

Shut up, Yusuke. Don’t complain about actually getting lines in a scene for once.

C’mon, don’t be so cold! You sayin’ it’s fine if I fail?
Nothing wrong with that.
Won’t the results be the same whether you study or not?
Now, now, you guys. Just think of it as helping me out!
*sigh* I don’t know about this…

Music: My Homie

Making a gamble, huh?
If she’s wrong, we die…
I don’t wanna die…
Um, is it really that bad?
This is every day for them.
This affects you too, Maaku-kun. Well, with your grades I’m not too worried.

That’s right! I’m smart!

But you’ve missed a lot of classes, so it couldn’t hurt to study.
Oh yeah, Maaku’s good at studying. I feel kind of betrayed…

No idea if this scene changes if your Knowledge isn’t maxed.

“Betrayed” might be a bit much…
Don’t worry, Lady Ann! Even if you’re not great at studying, I’ll help you.
Now then, let’s get to it. What do you want me to teach you?

I kinda figured this would be a joke answer, like “You forgot how to speak Japanese!?” It’s not.

Japanese, huh… Wait, what did we study again? Oh! Uh, crows! How’d it go again? Crows are black, so…
...Did we study that?
It’s Japanese class, so they were probably talking about kanji. The kanji for “crow” is the same as “bird,” but it’s missing the line that represents the eye. That’s because a crow’s eyes are the same color as its feathers, so you can’t see them at a glance.
Whoa… you were able to remember that much just from what Ann said?

Makoto, you’re not even in the same grade as us. Why do you know that?

How about taking a break?
Sounds good to me! I can’t do any more.

We just started, dude!

Even if we study and learn what we can in school, doesn’t it feel kinda pointless?

Don’t take him seriously.
Those sorts of experiences are important too, but common sense is just as important. You should know better than anyone how nasty adults without common sense can be.
That’s a great point.
Someday, you’ll graduate high school and become adults. Then when you get married, you’ll need common sense more than ever.
Marriage, huh… Do you wanna get married, Maaku?

Oh no! I offended Haru! Don’t be mad at me!

Well, that won’t be for a while. In the meantime, I’m more concerned with what I’m going to be eating tomorrow.

The implication I got from this is that he’s unsure there will actually be a meal tomorrow. Because he’s poor, you see.

Cut it out, man. You’re makin’ me hungry. Well, I guess we just gotta get back to studyin’.

We covered all the difficult parts, so you should probably be fine.
Good work, everyone.
See? You can do it if you try.

Maaku gains Knowledge +3. This is the only mandatory scene in the entire game that involves you gaining social stats. It’s also loving pointless because you most certainly maxed that poo poo a long time ago.

We’re finally done… Only god, uh… only knows… ...How’s that saying go again?
Ryuji’s hopeless.
What’d you say!?

Haven’t gotten an old-fashioned brawl between these two in quite some time.

Well, whatever happens, happens. Isn’t it about time you wrapped it up? Be careful on your way home.
Sucks that you have to do exams even after changing Shido’s heart and saving the country. It’s rough being a human.

Your probation ends soon. I dunno if any of this… other stuff will affect that, so just keep quiet.

We couldn’t have discussed this in the scene we just had together?

I don’t know… I haven’t been able to see my sister.
Is she OK?
I’m sure she is, and I’m sure she’ll get the job done.
That’s right. I mean, she’s a pretty talented prosecutor.
All we can do now is keep an eye on what happens next.

However, with Masayoshi Shido out on illness, the party leaders have been struggling without him. They’ve gone on high alert, shutting out the media entirely. More on this as it develops.
We’re counting on you, Niijima… Everyone’s worked really hard to make sure he won’t get his way...

Yeah, yeah. It’s still night, OK? You’re in a better mood than usual, aren’t you?
Why don’t ya join me, offisher? We’ll toasht the people’sh vict’ree ov’r the Phantom Th-- Wait. Did we… Did we win or wuzzit them? Guesh it don’t matter! *glug glug glug*

Naw man, I partied so hard it was tomorrow night when I finally woke up! Not like I would’ve made a difference anyway!
True… I’d be a liar if I didn’t admit voting felt pretty worthless.

Let’s go say hi to Tora.

I wanted to thank you again for all your support. With the next generation, I will change this county into one that overflows with justice!

Good for him. We still can’t talk to him though because it would “interrupt his campaign,” despite that campaign already being over.

I never thought about that… What’s going on all of a sudden?
I am not sure of anything any more. Not even what I’ll be doing this time next year…
D-Director, please don’t talk like that. You’re scaring me.

I was going to vote Shido just in case, but then I suddenly came to my senses.
It’s a huge mess, after all. In the end, they’re all just playing politics.
I’m starting not to care about it anymore. Holding out till the New Year is more important for me.

Someone tell me where I can hunt. I’ll scout, I’m willing to do anything. What? You don’t need a crummy scam artist? Who do you think you’re talking t-- HEY! ...Psh. Goddammit!

Once more, into the gym.

This is a bench press. It will increase your strength, of course. It’ll also make you mentally stronger since you need to keep a consistent rhythm and form.

Maaku gains 7 HP and 4 SP.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'll never get tired of Maaku overexerting himself and eating poo poo the first time he works out :allears:

e: also fun thing about your party s links for this dungeon: if you get to the treasure but have yet to send the calling card you can't do any of your party member's s links! Ended up costing me the ability to max out Futaba :suicide:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The moral of the game is that the Phantom Thieves should never celebrate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who keeps letting this kid exercise unsupervised? Also, is that the Yamcha death pose?

Apparently everyone you're romancing (in the Phantom Thieves) reacts to your answer to the marriage question.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 19, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Apparently everyone you're romancing (in the Phantom Thieves) reacts to your answer to the marriage question.

Yup. Joker looks right at them and everything. Sadly I don't think Sojiro has anything to say if you're dating Futaba.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sojiro was too busy burying bodies to tell you about your exams.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Did they ever actually change Niijima's heart?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, nice one getting the game to sync up with the calendar IRL.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GunnerJ posted:

No, they didn't actually steal her treasure: it was a fake to fool Akechi. Maaku used his Rank 5 charm to convince Sae to come over to their side during the interrogation. It's also sort of implied that Makoto's heart to heart with Sae's shadow just before they leave the palace might have had kind of an effect in at least nudging her towards redemption a bit, I think.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arist posted:

Considering that he’s finally back, all of you need to take your education seriously again.

Proof she really is Makoto's sister. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, nice one getting the game to sync up with the calendar IRL.

:eyepop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Nope. They did the same thing to her that Joker did to Mishima.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This is so loving dumb

You change Shido’s heart but not before his party gains a massive majority at a general election. Even without a leader, United Future is the government of Japan now. The Phantom Thieves have objectively failed.

The new Prime Minister of Japan breaking down on election night and publicly confessing to murder should be a massive story. You’d think it might be enough to splinter United Future and restore the original status quo - it the splitters returned to their parties, the Diet could appoint a new Prime Minister.

I also don’t see how Tora wins his seat given the massive groundswell of support for an ostensibly ‘anti-corruption’ party like United Future, and Tora’s noted history of corruption. I could see him winning in a normal election, but the circumstances Shido’s set up for this election seem to really put Tora’s campaign at risk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
toranosuke isn't running against shido, he's just trying to get back into the government period

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Oxxidation posted:

toranosuke isn't running against shido, he's just trying to get back into the government period

He’s trying to get back into the parliament, and there’s zero reason United Future wouldn’t have run their own candidate for the same seat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tora is master of the grassroots campaign.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I thought Tora was running a very local campaign like a city councilman or something

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Sure the UF probably had their own guy. Someone they didn't care about and would listen to orders. But they probably didn't invest in securing that because they're arrogant and "How could this corrupt old man ever expect to win"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'll never get tired of Maaku overexerting himself and eating poo poo the first time he works out :allears:

e: also fun thing about your party s links for this dungeon: if you get to the treasure but have yet to send the calling card you can't do any of your party member's s links! Ended up costing me the ability to max out Futaba :suicide:

This fun thing is true of every calling card, actually. The most interesting version is that you have to go discuss Sae’s calling card and make the plan to postpone it as long as possible before you can do party based social links.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lord_Magmar posted:

This fun thing is true of every calling card, actually. The most interesting version is that you have to go discuss Sae’s calling card and make the plan to postpone it as long as possible before you can do party based social links.

Previously, party social links were locked until you finished the dungeon. With Shido, they're still available until you reach the calling card stage, where they lock for no good reason. I assume it's to signal they're not going to pull a Persona 4 and skip the remainder of the days after you're done with him.
Discussing Sae's calling card doesn't take a time slot, so it follows the standard operating procedure before the game springs the delay on you. Honestly they should have made most/all calling cards go like Sae's at a predetermined date. It would have avoided Futaba being in a coma for 3 weeks straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Party social links don’t actually lock until you find the treasure and thus can send the calling card as far as I remember. It just doesn’t matter much because almost everyone blitzes through the palaces in one day anyway. I distinctly remember hanging out with Ryuji before finding Kamoshida’s treasure for example, and personally tended to put off the palaces a little to do social Link party member stuff at times.

If you can send a calling card you can’t do party social links. Sae having a delay between choosing to send the card and actually sending the card makes it one of the few cases where this doesn’t have to screw up your social links, because once you can send the card you just do the decision thing which takes up no time anyway. Without throwing away the following day for the boss fight.

I agree that all of them should’ve had the Sae delay myself although justifying it for every palace is awkward.