Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of E-2s, there was one circling Manhattan today at low level. Definitely got my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking of E-2s, there was one circling Manhattan today at low level. Definitely got my attention.

Great, now we get a bunch of news stories about people freaking out thinking it was 9/11 2: 9/12 like after the Air Force 1 photo op.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mortabis posted:

At 5'6" every airline seat is comfortable to me.

I’m 5’6” and this post is a lie

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cursed image.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

snip

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm getting sciactic back spasms just looking at that.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
That model really earned her money smiling at that poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That's what I see right before my DM says "roll initiative."

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
All the US carries adopting sine form of “basic economy” is the first step to poo poo like that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I appreciate they labeled passengers' political affiliations. This is how we bridge the divide in America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now evacuate the aircraft.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Platystemon posted:

If by that you mean to dump the pressure and put everyone out of their misery, then yes.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVhurg5b9U

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That must be relatively common. I was in Manhattan for meetings at 1WTC last month and an E-2 flew past at roughly eye level one morning.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don't hold me to it but I think this might be my favorite Dahir Insaat. The airplane exploding in the background while survivor man proudly leans on his new home is the best thing since 150% of the USAF inventory was taken out by a shipment of fresh fruit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

drgitlin posted:

That must be relatively common. I was in Manhattan for meetings at 1WTC last month and an E-2 flew past at roughly eye level one morning.

Yeah, it's a popular destination for training flights.

Also apropos, this just got posted on The Drive: Confessions Of An E-2C Hawkeye Radar Operator

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

"We tortured some folks", March 27th 2024, United CEO

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love to see fat people try and get into those seats at the back.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/NYCAviation/status/1075757929079468032

Gatwick is *still* closed

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

How thick is is this drone activity that its still not cleared the next day? Is there an army of drone flying Trolls specifically targeting this airport?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In isolation having been to Gatwick I'd say "good" but the alternative is Heathrow so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an RAF gunnery training opportunity.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, it's a popular destination for training flights.

Also apropos, this just got posted on The Drive: Confessions Of An E-2C Hawkeye Radar Operator

lmao

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Zhanism posted:

How thick is is this drone activity that its still not cleared the next day? Is there an army of drone flying Trolls specifically targeting this airport?

That's actually what seems to be happening https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The police at Gatwick have now formally asked the military to get involved. I'd assume the EW folks in the RAF and Army Intelligence corp could do stuff but no idea how fine-grained their response can be.

Maybe we'll get an RAF RC-135W Joint Rivet overhead and good old cold-war signal triangulation on the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not saying it’s Russia, but if anyone has a single likelier perp, I’d like to hear it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

I’m not saying it’s Russia, but if anyone has a single likelier perp, I’d like to hear it.

Unaffiliated internet trolls?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Unaffiliated internet trolls?

I'd even put the loving IRA above Russia

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Goodsquad got bored of virtual universes

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

After killing dissidents on British soil, foul villain Putin has moved on to a new scheme... ruining Christmas!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I forgot about Dahir Insaat.

Straight to the top of the list he goes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Don’t most consumer drones only have a 10-15 minute flight time? For someone to be flying drones continuously for this long they must be launching multiple sorties as they recharge the batteries, so how the gently caress have local authorities not found them yet?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They move around?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Don’t most consumer drones only have a 10-15 minute flight time? For someone to be flying drones continuously for this long they must be launching multiple sorties as they recharge the batteries, so how the gently caress have local authorities not found them yet?

Here, have a twitter thread linked elsewhere on the forum:

https://twitter.com/brad3d/status/1075748568382619648

Note that you can bypass these restrictions with some effort and a lot of effort likely went into this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ Yeah, I was implying it’s a professional operations.

FrozenVent posted:

They move around?

So they have some sort of platform that allows them to quickly launch and land drones before packing up and moving again, before being caught? And this is not noticeable by any locals who might be looking for such a thing?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'd take it with a pinch of salt but some website are reporting its not a consumer level drone(s).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Suggestions from the wild:

eco-terrorists

helicopter pilots in a false flag operation

stock market manipulation

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 20, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Much like the mysterious rifle attack on that substation in CA a few years ago, my best guess is that it's a provider of security solutions making a very public but deniable marketing demo.

High risk but high reward, those t-shirt gun net cannons are gonna be flying off the shelves after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It sounds like the drones will disappear for just long enough that they consider re-opening the airport, then re-appear again.

To whit:

cnn posted:

The usual practice (when a drone is spotted) is to suspend flights for half-an-hour, which is the usual battery lifespan for drones," explained Parker, a former Royal Airforce fighter pilot and head of drone training company Flyby Technology.

If you know the operational rules they work under, it seems pretty easy to manipulate.

Nuclear solution: turn on GPS encryption.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 20, 2018