Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
The US is absolutely going to throw the Kurds overboard. Our track record with them is awful and what's worse is that they keep believing we are their friends and are going to help them with all manner of things up to and including a seperate Kurdish state. I feel bad for them because they seem unable to grasp that the US Gov't doesn't give a single dusty gently caress about their survival yet they cling to that hope like some kind of cold war "We're the Good Guys" propaganda. Keeping the US there will not help them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can understand why John Smith out of Nebraska who got a substandard K-12 education and then went to work in a factory for 20 years thinks this about the Civil Rights Movement. Not why a big shot international journalist thinks it. Unless they’re arguing in bad faith.

yeah thats what bothers me too. glenn is a smart fucker alot of the time and he should know better. this isn't my aunt or uncle who doesn't remember poo poo about history outside the basic narrative.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thegalagakid posted:

The US is absolutely going to throw the Kurds overboard. Our track record with them is awful and what's worse is that they keep believing we are their friends and are going to help them with all manner of things up yo and including a seperate Kurdish state. I feel bad for them because they seem unable to grasp that the US Gov't doesn't give a single dusty gently caress about their survival yet they cling to that hope like some kind of cold war "We're the Good Guys" propaganda. Keeping the US there will not help them at all.

i mean, we legit blamed iran for Halabja even though they were the only ones helping the kurds. i mean recent immigrant to Hell, HW Bush openly talked about how it was iran even though they all knew it was saddam. because we gave them the components to make the chemical weapons. it was only until the gulf war, where everyone admitted it was iraq.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
:getin:

https://twitter.com/nicole_hong/status/1075514494418386945?s=19

CNN also played a clip of him on Larry King in 1999 saying "nobody knows more about campaign laws than I do, because I donate so much"

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

To be fair he didn’t have brain worms back in the 80s.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

To be fair he didn’t have brain worms back in the 80s.

yeah that was thirty years ago.

This could all end with trump being declared unfit to stand trial.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
CNN also showed clips of him talking about it in 1999 and 2012.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lol @ any one who think the us will honor any kind of commitment past the point of sociopathic self interest

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Yeah what would happen if his lawyers argued that he has whatever the medical term for brain worms is? Case thrown out and then nothing, since no Republican would hold him accountable?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lol @ any one who think the us will honor any kind of commitment past the point of sociopathic self interest

Or past the point where the other party takes the government

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah what would happen if his lawyers argued that he has whatever the medical term for brain worms is? Case thrown out and then nothing, since no Republican would hold him accountable?

Neurosyphilis

And you just can't rule it out after watching him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

bilperkins2 posted:

If Trump made a legal argument he wasn't competent to stand trial, I think people would have to take a hard look at the 25th amendment.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1075536410181021697?s=19

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bilperkins2 posted:

Trump publicly attacks his lawyers for suggesting he doesn't have the best brain, just the best.

And then the Republicans continue to do nothing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Was Reagan losing his mind known even in rumors among the general public at the time?

Well either way Regan could still dress himself up and deliver speeches competently. Unlike Big Brain Donald.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah that was thirty years ago.

This could all end with trump being declared unfit to stand trial.

"Unfit to stand trial" will also be his impeachment defense.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1075551378125148161

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was Reagan losing his mind known even in rumors among the general public at the time?

Well either way Regan could still dress himself up and deliver speeches competently. Unlike Big Brain Donald.

Oh yeah, right from the start people knew he was a little off. His last couple years he was really off the deep end and didn't make a lot of appearances. Watch the CNN doc on the 80's, they show some of his confused and clearly Alzheimers speeches.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh yeah, that was a running joke.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

selec posted:

[Jim Halpert, a cigarette dangling from his mouth, his right hand giving a thumbs up, his left pointing at hooded, nude man’s penis. Other nude men are visible in the background. He shrugs while looking directly into the camera]

Can you walk us through a scenario where it is Russia that invades and occupies a country?

Oh wait, you don’t have to, because we have seen how things played out in Georgia and Crimea.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Leslie Stahl saw Reagan during one of his episodes and didn't report on it because decorum.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/reagan-alzheimers-family-feud-lesley-stahl/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1075547946857435137

:yeshaha:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

"... never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity" is a fantastic line.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How much money would you pay to get to watch Trump have to answer under oath in a court of law simple questions like “describe the process by which a bill becomes a law” and “what precipitated the Spanish-American War”

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

thegalagakid posted:

The US is absolutely going to throw the Kurds overboard. Our track record with them is awful and what's worse is that they keep believing we are their friends and are going to help them with all manner of things up to and including a seperate Kurdish state. I feel bad for them because they seem unable to grasp that the US Gov't doesn't give a single dusty gently caress about their survival yet they cling to that hope like some kind of cold war "We're the Good Guys" propaganda. Keeping the US there will not help them at all.

How would keeping US troops there not help them? Erdogan's about to start an offensive against them and without US forces there he can pretty much indiscriminately massacre them with 0 repercussions.

I'm not in favor of bombing anyone but I'm 100% for keeping US troops around Kurdish positions in Syria to deter Erdogan. One of my best friends is Kurdish (and lives on the Turkey/Syria border) so I'm probably biased but I think it's a travesty that Trump's abandoning them after they've been solid allies to us for decades while striving for a democratic state. My general sense from talking to her is that most Kurds aren't enamored with the US in the way you seem to think they are and that they realize it's an enemy-of-my-enemy situation, but I'm pretty sure if you asked any Kurd they'd much rather that we not just up and leave.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Here comes a shutdown. Trump isn't going to like Fox & Friends using the word "retreat."

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you guys seen this poo poo now where people claim racism is just a "myth meant to divide us?" I've seen it like 3 times this week and am wondering if it's marching orders from somewhere

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Racism, bigotry, etc. as concepts aren't going to be vanquished by deplatforming but there's a growing and compelling body of evidence that high-profile individuals who make a living by spouting hate are in fact far more hurt by deplatforming than they are by being confronted in the Marketplace of Ideas. I've been hearing the same "we can't shove racists, nazis, homophobes, etc. into a hole to be forgotten because then they'll be martyrs" thing for literal decades of my life and instead it seems like all giving these people an open and unrestricted platform into the homes of millions of people has done is embolden the worst parts of society to be even bigger shitheads. Convincing people of the evil and immorality of something only works when those things are viewed as a bug and not a feature.

I mean, if logic and debate and reason worked on people like Milo, or literal nazis, they wouldn't be nazis in the first place.

The Marketplace of Ideas very much has its limits, and people like that and way over on the other side of them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Have you guys seen this poo poo now where people claim racism is just a "myth meant to divide us?" I've seen it like 3 times this week and am wondering if it's marching orders from somewhere

It's not at all new and a natural progression of "that's not racism because I believe that and I can't be racist". Now that more and more people are admitting what is racist, the next step is saying actually no racism doesn't even exist.

Whomever you are talking to is a white supremacist btw, that's straight up nazi talk.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Giggy posted:

Leslie Stahl saw Reagan during one of his episodes and didn't report on it because decorum.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/reagan-alzheimers-family-feud-lesley-stahl/

That's honestly an insanely difficult choice to make, with the cold war still going strong. don't think a reporter would have a second thought reporting on Trump in the same condition if they observed him.

I think I likely would have made the same choice as Stahl did, and it wouldn't be for decorum's sake so much as national.security's

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

That's honestly an insanely difficult choice to make, with the cold war still going strong. don't think a reporter would have a second thought reporting on Trump in the same condition if they observed him.

I think I likely would have made the same choice as Stahl did, and it wouldn't be for decorum's sake so much as national.security's

I genuinely don't understand how you can type this unless you're in opposite world.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1075551378125148161

One guess to as what inspired this.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

How would keeping US troops there not help them? Erdogan's about to start an offensive against them and without US forces there he can pretty much indiscriminately massacre them with 0 repercussions.

I'm not in favor of bombing anyone but I'm 100% for keeping US troops around Kurdish positions in Syria to deter Erdogan. One of my best friends is Kurdish (and lives on the Turkey/Syria border) so I'm probably biased but I think it's a travesty that Trump's abandoning them after they've been solid allies to us for decades while striving for a democratic state. My general sense from talking to her is that most Kurds aren't enamored with the US in the way you seem to think they are and that they realize it's an enemy-of-my-enemy situation, but I'm pretty sure if you asked any Kurd they'd much rather that we not just up and leave.

I got some bad news for you about the US stepping up to actually prevent genocides. I also got some bad news for you about any plans the US might have about putting actual brigades up as a shield against the Turkish military, in that they're aren't going to be any. We didn't support them in '88, we didn't support them post-Gulf War I, II, and we don't support them now. Is it hosed up? Yes. Will it change? Absolutely not, as the Syria pullout shows. We will probably leave, the Turks roll in, a lot of Kurds will get killed, and in 10 years we will act like it never happened.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Giggy posted:

I genuinely don't understand how you can type this unless you're in opposite world.

Grew up during the cold war and have read a lot about it as well. Letting the world know Reagan was mentally unfit would have been an existential threat to the country.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Grew up during the cold war and have read a lot about it as well. Letting the world know Reagan was mentally unfit would have been an existential threat to the country.

Leaving a mentally unfit president in power is an existential threat to the world.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

If you believe the Cold War USSR is enough of a threat not to report that the commander in chief isn't all there mentally and cause a fuss uh...wouldn't that actually be a reason you wouldn't want someone mentally unfit running things? I really don't get the pretzel logic here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Her soul jar is finally starting to crack open?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Giggy posted:

Leaving a mentally unfit president in power is an existential threat to the world.

Nah, there are nuclear safeguards in place. People who think Trump can just pick up the phone and launch are delusional.

VH4Ever posted:

If you believe the Cold War USSR is enough of a threat not to report that the commander in chief isn't all there mentally and cause a fuss uh...wouldn't that actually be a reason you wouldn't want someone mentally unfit running things? I really don't get the pretzel logic here.

Leslie Stahl saw the president sitting quietly and not engaging with anyone. Not a manic episode where there seemed to be any danger of any harm. Not all mental illness or mental conditions are the same

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Going to assume Incel Ann is dragging him over the wall backdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

His cabinet considered 25ing him.

quote:

Upon becoming the White House Chief of Staff in 1987, Howard Baker was advised by staff to prepare for a possible invocation of the Twenty-fifth Amendment[24] due to Reagan's perceived laziness and ineptitude.[25][26] According to Reagan biographer Edmund Morris, Baker's staff intended to use their first meeting with Reagan to evaluate whether he was "losing his mental grip." But Reagan "came in stimulated by the press of all these new people and performed splendidly."[25][26][27]

Look up the horrifying Land of Confusion music video by Genesis.