Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure even JMS approved of ending the Spider-marriage, though he disagreed with how they were doing it. I've heard that his suggested idea wasn't much better, though I don't remember what it was - fwiw, I don't think it was Peter walking out on MJ and then continuing across America.

Peter growing up, getting married, joining the Avengers, becoming less of a lone wolf and eventually (probably years in the future) taking over from Cap as de facto leader of the Marvel superheroes would be a cool arc for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure even JMS approved of ending the Spider-marriage, though he disagreed with how they were doing it. I've heard that his suggested idea wasn't much better, though I don't remember what it was - fwiw, I don't think it was Peter walking out on MJ and then continuing across America.

Peter growing up, getting married, joining the Avengers, becoming less of a lone wolf and eventually (probably years in the future) taking over from Cap as de facto leader of the Marvel superheroes would be a cool arc for him.

I don't think anybody would tell you the way it was done was good. I'm not really pro or against the marriage, I'm for whatever makes a good story regardless. I was not a fan of a lot of the stuff JMS was doing on the title at the time with The Other and the Spider Totem stuff and I did enjoy a lot of the stuff from Brand New Day so I took the marriage ending as a plus in the short term at least. That being said the way they did it was terrible. I know I'm far in the majority in that I liked a lot of what came after, including Superior (though it went on too long) and Horizon/Parker Industries Peter. But even though I liked that I'm happy to be back at broke rear end Peter and I'm happy that MJ is back in the picture. It just feels like time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

the other problem is 99% of the time when the book looked at Peter and MJ's marriage it wasn't like...good.

Honestly that's one of the things JMS managed to nail, but before him it was a cavalcade of bad storylines where MJ would get her own subplot for a few months and it would invariably be the most boring poo poo imaginable.

MJ takes up smoking! MJ is stalked (twice)! MJ considers cheating on Peter with one of her fellow actors but doesn't! Yeah.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think that in 2018/2019, if Peter's supposed to be in his mid-late 20s or early 30s, an "everyman" arc shouldn't have to and shouldn't have to want to culminate in marriage and kids. That narrative, while tidy, I think increasingly doesn't speak to the goals and lives of people who are Peter's vague age, especially among people with the contingent elements that his life has-- freelancer (I think still?), weird hours, all-consuming hobby, dependent older relative, living in a very expensive city. I got married at 28, which would have felt extremely late in my parents' day, but among my friends and age-proximate colleagues was pretty early. It's just not as ubiquitous a marker of "growing up," ditto having kids-- among married people my age that I can think of, only three have kids, and those were the only three that ever had any intention of having kids.

I like Peter and MJ together but I'm fine with them not being married. I think on a narrative level it keeps his status quo more flexible and leaves more wiggle room for the flow of incoming writers, and as I said above I don't think that using it as a device to ground him or indicate his maturity is as viable as it perhaps used to be. For someone with his lifestyle and background, superhero or not, being a bachelor with a somewhat provisional financial situation is frankly the most realistic option.

Edit: Without spoiling much, I think the Spider-Verse movie handles this perfectly, albeit with a PP slightly older I felt than the de facto characterization in the comics: I can't imagine dating let alone being married to somebody with his life without going crazy. I don't think expecting a long-term romantic relationship that follows normative rules is fair or even possible in a setting where superheroes are routinely expected to do the things that superheroes do. In my mind Peter and MJ love each other a lot and trust each other more than anyone else in the world but recognize that keeping things somewhat loose is better for both of them.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 17, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

That sounds great, but we aren't going to see anything of the sort. Or at least it won't last and will be eventually undone.

It's a problem caused by the desire to keep popular characters in circulation with their most "iconic" status quo within mainstream comic books, even if they might occasionally be allowed to temporarily change or even have a proper ending in certain movie adaptations and other media. Marvel isn't the only company that does this, of course, but their treatment of Spider-Man is probably the example that stings the most.

In a perfect world, characters would be allowed to retire and generational storytelling would keep the brand around while changing the cast. Which isn't going to happen, or certainly not on a permanent basis. Honestly, I think things could at least work better if continuity was thrown out the window and every new writer was allowed to tell their own mini-biography, beginning and ending included, rather than trying to pretend the same character has lived through decades of adventures that only add up to nine years or whatever number is considered acceptable in order to avoid aging.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 17, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people focused on the MJ subplots not being good but in the 90s the main plots kind of sucked too. I mean you have venom and then ???

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

I think that in 2018/2019, if Peter's supposed to be in his mid-late 20s or early 30s, an "everyman" arc shouldn't have to and shouldn't have to want to culminate in marriage and kids. That narrative, while tidy, I think increasingly doesn't speak to the goals and lives of people who are Peter's vague age, especially among people with the contingent elements that his life has-- freelancer (I think still?), weird hours, all-consuming hobby, dependent older relative, living in a very expensive city. I got married at 28, which would have felt extremely late in my parents' day, but among my friends and age-proximate colleagues was pretty early. It's just not as ubiquitous a marker of "growing up," ditto having kids-- among married people my age that I can think of, only three have kids, and those were the only three that ever had any intention of having kids.

I like Peter and MJ together but I'm fine with them not being married. I think on a narrative level it keeps his status quo more flexible and leaves more wiggle room for the flow of incoming writers, and as I said above I don't think that using it as a device to ground him or indicate his maturity is as viable as it perhaps used to be. For someone with his lifestyle and background, superhero or not, being a bachelor with a somewhat provisional financial situation is frankly the most realistic option.

Edit: Without spoiling much, I think the Spider-Verse movie handles this perfectly, albeit with a PP slightly older I felt than the de facto characterization in the comics: I can't imagine dating let alone being married to somebody with his life without going crazy. I don't think expecting a long-term romantic relationship that follows normative rules is fair or even possible in a setting where superheroes are routinely expected to do the things that superheroes do. In my mind Peter and MJ love each other a lot and trust each other more than anyone else in the world but recognize that keeping things somewhat loose is better for both of them.

Yeah I agree that "Spider-Man must grow up and the only way he can is by having a steady important job, a wife, and kids" is mostly the result of people being fixated on a societal construct of adulthood and success that is rapidly becoming out-of-date

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think having a steady job is gonna go out of date. Hopefully.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish I had this kind of optimism.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I mean, living in Manhattan on a shoestring as a freelance photographer already did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I mean, living in Manhattan on a shoestring as a freelance photographer already did.

It's interesting how they've tried course-correcting Spidey in the past. Heck, just after Inferno (I think) Pete and MJ used to have a spacious apartment on the Upper West Side and then were unceremoniously kicked out and had to go live with Aunt May for a while until Harry took pity on them and let them live in his building. Partly due to aforementioned stalker who was rich as well as a creep. "Spidey's too successful! Reverse it!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting how they've tried course-correcting Spidey in the past. Heck, just after Inferno (I think) Pete and MJ used to have a spacious apartment on the Upper West Side and then were unceremoniously kicked out and had to go live with Aunt May for a while until Harry took pity on them and let them live in his building. Partly due to aforementioned stalker who was rich as well as a creep. "Spidey's too successful! Reverse it!"

Peter has been stuck in the same cycle for the last 40 years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm afraid you may be hoping for too much there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Under full gay communism 40+hr/week jobs will be abolished

And as much as I "understand" Pete is supposed to be some early thirties person, and we have gotten the poo poo end of the stick, I have a hard time conceptualizing him as a millennial like me since he's been around since the 60s. He just has way too much history and baggage to acknowledge him as my contemporary like that

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well don't worry, pretty soon he'll be the same age, just your junior instead of contemporary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
These young whipper snappers out here slinging those webs like a bunch of hop heads. Back in my day we just succumbed to nihilism on Twitter. Why don't they just get a job!! shakes cane angrily

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wielder posted:

That sounds great, but we aren't going to see anything of the sort. Or at least it won't last and will be eventually undone.

Sure, I mean it hypothetically, if comics went in for not doing any retcons or resets and just kept moving forward all the time.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

X-O posted:

Well don't worry, pretty soon he'll be the same age, just your junior instead of contemporary.

It was a sad day when I was older than Bruce Wayne

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

It was a sad day when I was older than Bruce Wayne

Hello Frank Miller

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

We'll always have Vandal Savage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the sliding timescale will save us all.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure the sliding timescale will save us all.

The sliding timescale will doom us all. Should there ever threaten lasting world peace, Disney will tip the scale in favor of a war for Tony Stark and Flash Thomson to have served in in the comics that come out 20 years later.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Time is fleeting but our shitposts are forever

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It was a sad day when I realized I was older than Wolverine.

Though I also was pretty impressed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang you're like 160 years old? Congrats whats your secret

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

Dang you're like 160 years old? Congrats whats your secret

Why, Hostess Fruit Pies, of course!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like getting cap and punisher on the same day

e: shuri too

site fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 19, 2018

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Somebody at Marvel needs to fired over the fact that Miguel's only appearance in Spider-Geddon was a multiple-character splash page in the last issue.

Also, for looking like it would be a culling of the spider-characters in Marvel, the only deaths I can think of are Noir and UK, and they happened at the very beginning. This whole story was a waste. Silk was one of the central characters of the last Spider-Verse, and I think she said, maybe, two things at most this time around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

El Tortuga posted:

This whole story was a waste.

It was a good event to show that Otto is cool and good and also smart that's why he saved the day.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

Somebody at Marvel needs to fired over the fact that Miguel's only appearance in Spider-Geddon was a multiple-character splash page in the last issue.

Also, for looking like it would be a culling of the spider-characters in Marvel, the only deaths I can think of are Noir and UK, and they happened at the very beginning. This whole story was a waste. Silk was one of the central characters of the last Spider-Verse, and I think she said, maybe, two things at most this time around.
Well, after the last one was a culling of Spider-people and was total garbage, so...I guess it's an improvement?

So, I wound up buying the Spider-Girls miniseries (I wanted to support Houser/RYV, OK?) and actually quite enjoyed it (probably because it seemed to primarily avoiding the Inheritors plot and focusing on their interpersonal interaction). Out of curiosity, was there anything related to RYV/Spider-Girl in Spider-Geddon #5 to go on? I mean, I'm not going to read it, but still, I'm curious.

Also I guess that (very minor Into The Spider-Verse spoilers) Miguel might have been too busy in a pointing match with Spider-Man '67 to get involved with Spider-Geddon.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 20, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Actually speaking of spider-girls was whatever series mayday was originally in (spider-woman, spider-girl??) any good? Kinda curious as to whether i should go back and check that out

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

Actually speaking of spider-girls was whatever series mayday was originally in (spider-woman, spider-girl??) any good? Kinda curious as to whether i should go back and check that out

It has its fans but it really depends on how your tolerance for DeFalco is. Mine is zero but I see what it is that he offers to people who like his schtick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduchess posted:

It has its fans but it really depends on how your tolerance for DeFalco is. Mine is zero but I see what it is that he offers to people who like his schtick.
Yeah, speaking as probably the biggest Spider-Girl fan in BSS, that's true. Maybe give it a try and see what you think, it's on Unlimited now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, speaking as probably the biggest Spider-Girl fan in BSS, that's true. Maybe give it a try and see what you think, it's on Unlimited now.

Take it from two separate Lotties-- Spider-Girl may or may not be good.

FWIW I think of the DeFalco I've read the M2 stuff is the best. It's super clearly a passion project and while his approach to continuity isn't my favorite there's a palpable glee to his deep dives that can be infectious.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduchess posted:

Take it from two separate Lotties-- Spider-Girl may or may not be good.

Now I want to see the Amazing Spider-Lottie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

There was only one issue I could say I truly liked, and come to find out it was a fill in by Sean McKeever who I believe has since fled the comics industry to the greener(?) pastures of writing video games. It didn't rely on the second-person narration like DeFalco did.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so like whats the point of spidergeddon, get rid of the expanded spiderverse cast

that you have a huge movie for right now

is that the point

Marvel?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Synthbuttrange posted:

so like whats the point of spidergeddon, get rid of the expanded spiderverse cast

is that the point

Marvel?
Someone correct me, but I'm reasonably certain that we actually came out of Spider-Geddon with more alive, named Spider-People than we had going in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, I wound up buying the Spider-Girls miniseries (I wanted to support Houser/RYV, OK?) and actually quite enjoyed it (probably because it seemed to primarily avoiding the Inheritors plot and focusing on their interpersonal interaction).

I'd love to see a Spider-Girls ongoing. I enjoyed the dynamic between Mayday and Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

is that the point

Marvel?

Pretty sure it was just to do another Spider-Verse event at the same time that there was a Spider-Verse movie coming out, and they couldn't just do Spider-Verse 2 for a name right? (Well, they could, but after Civil War 2, people might be wary of Marvel events with a 2 in the name...)

All in all I feel like it was a decent little event, if only because it had the characters do something besides get owned constantly and have a bunch of spiders cameo as corpses. Kinda surprised they're going to have Doc Ock be Superior Spider-Man again and just totally give up that Superior Octopus schtick he was trying to start up.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 20, 2018