Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

decided to get back into this series and was replaying eo1, the only eo game i actually owned, until i learned that eou was a remake so playing that instead

it's quite the jump quality-of-life wise, eo1 is very much an old school western rpg in that it hates the player in every way possible, while eou is like "hey would you like to have an easy way to get back to the floor you were on without trekking through the entire dungeon, got you covered bud"

I have no idea how to build a highlander beyond "the charges are good" though

e: also sorry for bumping an old rear end thread if a newer one exists but this was the one i found and yknow :effort:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nah it's cool things will probably be quiet until Etrian Odyssey Nexus comes out

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The real important question, Yinlock, is how do you draw doors on your map?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yinlock posted:

I have no idea how to build a highlander beyond "the charges are good" though

It's been a while since I played EOU, but I have a Guild Card that I think should show you what skills I invested in if you scan it.

I remember a really good skill was Bloody Caress... Offense? Something like that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's been a while since I played EOU, but I have a Guild Card that I think should show you what skills I invested in if you scan it.

I remember a really good skill was Bloody Caress... Offense? Something like that.

Bloody Offense is apparently a great buff but I don't like the single-row limitation since my damage dealers are split up a bit(also my highlander's turns are already at a premium due to delay charge fuckery). I have my medic use the wolfpack grimoire when it's burst damage time even though it kinda burns tp

ty for the code though

Jimmy Hats posted:

The real important question, Yinlock, is how do you draw doors on your map?

put a tile down, put the door icon on it, then draw walls around it connecting the rooms

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 17, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When I did Story, I think I had Highlander/Raquna/Simon on the frontline, and Arthur and Ricky on the back. So when I wanted to Bloody Offense, I'd move the Highlander to the back row since he wouldn't be attacking that turn anyway.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When I did Story, I think I had Highlander/Raquna/Simon on the frontline, and Arthur and Ricky on the back. So when I wanted to Bloody Offense, I'd move the Highlander to the back row since he wouldn't be attacking that turn anyway.

the first thing I did was move simon to the backline since I had just been playing early eo1 and had 'nam flashbacks

I might move him upfront though for that strategy, and he DOES have a weirdly huge hp pool

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 17, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't recall ever having any problems keeping him in the front, yeah.

If you need suggestions on the other four's skills, I have cards for them, too. :toot:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't recall ever having any problems keeping him in the front, yeah.

If you need suggestions on the other four's skills, I have cards for them, too. :toot:

nah it's pretty easy to figure out the optimal set for the other four, highlander just bombards you right away with a bunch of skills that all sound good or potentially good

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Yinlock posted:

the first thing I did was move simon to the backline since I had just been playing early eo1 and had 'nam flashbacks

Medics have alright VIT which is the most important stat for mitigating edit: physical damage in EOIII, EOIV, EOU and EO2U. The difference between the armor classes is pretty minor.
However, Medics don't have too much HP. But you could run Simon in the backline and only switch him to the front on Bloddy Offence turns.

For your original question:
The most damaging thing Highlander can do is use Delayed Charge.
The second most damaging thing Highlander can do is use Limitless before Delayed Charge.

Delayed Charge, Cross Charge, Bloody Offence, Limitless and Spear Assist for down turns while you wait for Delayed Charge are a solid core for a damage orientated Highlander.

werbear fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 17, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

werbear posted:

Medics have alright VIT which is the most important stat for mitigating damage in EOIII, EOIV, EOU and EO2U. The difference between the armor classes in pretty minor.
However, Medics don't have too much HP. But you could run Simon in the backline and only switch him to the front on Bloddy Offence turns.

For your original question:
The most damaging thing Highlander can do is use Delayed Charge.
The second most damaging thing Highlander can do is use Limitless before Delayed Charge.

Delayed Charge, Cross Charge, Bloody Offence, Limitless and Spear Assist for down turns while you wait for Delayed Charge are a solid core for a damage orientated Highlander.

that's more-or-less what I've been building on yeah

I'm too used to EO1's wonky damage formula where all enemies hit like trucks unless you have immunize up and your team is immortal instead. it makes me play way too defensive

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

trip report: moved up to Expert around floor 9 because I didn't realize how hard enemies get nerfed on standard(I assumed Expert was just gently caress You Mode like SMT), got my entire team one-shotted by an angry mammoth, hello eo1 nice to have you back

e: but hey it's a good example of why being able to change difficulty whenever is a good thing, and especially a good example of why "you can never change to/from the highest difficulty midgame" is a dumb mechanic

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 19, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yinlock posted:

that's more-or-less what I've been building on yeah

I'm too used to EO1's wonky damage formula where all enemies hit like trucks unless you have immunize up and your team is immortal instead. it makes me play way too defensive

Yeah, the game has level scaling and it is super harsh. Later games ditched level scaling entirely and are much less "shoving your face in the concrete". And made it so that you aren't forced to use defensive skills just to not get a game over. EO1 is by far the harshest EO game in the series, and no other game reaches that level of raw hatefulness it has.

Yinlock posted:

trip report: moved up to Expert around floor 9 because I didn't realize how hard enemies get nerfed on standard(I assumed Expert was just gently caress You Mode like SMT), got my entire team one-shotted by an angry mammoth, hello eo1 nice to have you back

That being said, that doesn't mean the later games go easy on you. And yeah, Expert is the baseline for the games that have difficulty settings. Standard is slightly easier, while Picnic is well... a picnic. Especially in EO2U. (Word of warning for future Nexus players. Picnic got nerfed hard by not letting you leave it once you select that difficulty setting. So don't switch it down there for easy grinding if you don't want to stay there.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the game has level scaling and it is super harsh. Later games ditched level scaling entirely and are much less "shoving your face in the concrete". And made it so that you aren't forced to use defensive skills just to not get a game over. EO1 is by far the harshest EO game in the series, and no other game reaches that level of raw hatefulness it has.

That being said, that doesn't mean the later games go easy on you. And yeah, Expert is the baseline for the games that have difficulty settings. Standard is slightly easier, while Picnic is well... a picnic. Especially in EO2U. (Word of warning for future Nexus players. Picnic got nerfed hard by not letting you leave it once you select that difficulty setting. So don't switch it down there for easy grinding if you don't want to stay there.)

tbf when I die in EOU I feel like it's because I clearly screwed up somewhere or made a mistake(with the mammoth example I tried to go for a headbind while it was charging instead of sonic bombing which uh didn't go so great), while in EO it could often be the enemy just deciding to kill me.

Either way expert is still easier than vanilla eo1 so i'll probably be sticking with it for the rest of the game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and then I met the queen bee and nevermind

yes let's have a crew of evasion-buffing bosses vs a party that isn't equipped to deal with that in any way, this seems super fair

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I played EOU on Expert while fighting random battles nad FOEs but turned it down to Normal for bosses. It was too easy or too hard for me to find it fun otherwise.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

yes let's have a crew of evasion-buffing bosses vs a party that isn't equipped to deal with that in any way, this seems super fair

Yeah, that boss kind of blows for the Story party. What I did was farm a bunch of tanglers (items that inflict AOE binds) off of the frogs in the 3rd Stratum. Their conditional drops (kill them with Ice) make those items, and leg binds cancel out evasion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

This was the dumbest fight in the game, unless I'm forgetting something.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, that boss kind of blows for the Story party. What I did was farm a bunch of tanglers (items that inflict AOE binds) off of the frogs in the 3rd Stratum. Their conditional drops (kill them with Ice) make those items, and leg binds cancel out evasion.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This was the dumbest fight in the game, unless I'm forgetting something.

it's just such a weird gently caress you out of nowhere, especially considering that it's a story boss and the story party has no actual way to deal with it in any of their skillsets

thanks for the legbind tip though, guess it's time to murder frogs

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, it's a weirdly placed boss, I don't know how they expected Story to deal with it. You don't have access to any form of dispels at that point in the game, not even in item form or on a Grimoire Stone. (2U would at least be better about this sort of thing, though it has its own issues with the bosses.) Frederica's Leg Snipe has the normal accuracy check since it deals damage, so that's not a good way to shut down her evasion. Meaning your only real option is to... farm some frogs for a good while. (The item they create is unfortunately a restockable, so you have to farm up a bunch to get a good supply.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, it's a weirdly placed boss, I don't know how they expected Story to deal with it. You don't have access to any form of dispels at that point in the game, not even in item form or on a Grimoire Stone. (2U would at least be better about this sort of thing, though it has its own issues with the bosses.) Frederica's Leg Snipe has the normal accuracy check since it deals damage, so that's not a good way to shut down her evasion. Meaning your only real option is to... farm some frogs for a good while. (The item they create is unfortunately a restockable, so you have to farm up a bunch to get a good supply.)

at least frogs aren't a particularly difficult or rare enemy and have an easy conditional

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Hey is everyone excited for nexus or is 3ds dead? kthnxbye

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'll be happy to play it but i'm not on the edge of my seat or anything.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dpulex posted:

Hey is everyone excited for nexus or is 3ds dead? kthnxbye

Both of those things can be true. :v:

I liked what I played of the Japanese version and am looking forward to being able to understand the text.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I have put about 80 hours into it but got kind of burned out just since it is so much longer than the other games, I guess I'll get back to it at a later point.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'll be nice to have a new EO game so I have an excuse to get my 3DS out again. I fully charged it like 3 weeks ago and it's just been sitting there on standby, still blue. It's pretty impressive and I wish I could be bothered to use it more.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone have some impressions from the japan version? Are landsharks from IV in it? Are there any skeletons?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
It's a fun game, but VERY long. Landsknecht is the IV version.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's super long and I can hardly remember anything about it. Uh... the gunner's charge shots were about the same power as the imperial's Drive skills, except they didn't cost a billion TP. They never give you any catch-up level-up items and that annoyed me a little. Subclassing comes really late, like longer than it would normally take to finish a game, so basically it's like "I've maxed out my skill tree on my main class, so here's another tree to mess around in."

It's super long.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 21, 2018

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Also there's 16 dungeon floors in the game that all look exactly the same and have the same music

It's a decent game but extremely long and won't have a lot that you haven't seen before if you've played the other games (though I know that's the idea).

Hero is a great all around class with good AOE and some decent defensive options, there's not much reason to use a Protector when Heroes are around. They don't get good single target damage until the end of their skill tree though.
My favorite class of EO5, Pugilist, seems to be a lot weaker in this game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

day 1: we accept this request for 10 gold furs and shall return with your materials on the morrow

day 231: deer boar

pleaz giv fur

love adventuremans

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Yinlock posted:

day 1: we accept this request for 10 gold furs and shall return with your materials on the morrow

day 231: deer boar

pleaz giv fur

love adventuremans

gently caress those quests

out of everything in EO1 that was being reimplemented, those stupid quests should've been taken out the second one of the programmers punched in the item drop chances

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

gently caress those quests

out of everything in EO1 that was being reimplemented, those stupid quests should've been taken out the second one of the programmers punched in the item drop chances

so those quests aren't A Thing later on? then why even keep them. I even QR'd a level 10 scavenge grimoire and it's still a huge pain

at least the stratum 5 fights are surprisingly simple outside of everything hitting like trucks

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

so those quests aren't A Thing later on? then why even keep them. I even QR'd a level 10 scavenge grimoire and it's still a huge pain

at least the stratum 5 fights are surprisingly simple outside of everything hitting like trucks

Fetch quests like that got largely dropped from the series starting from EO3, and item drop rates got much much higher in the later games, so that when a quest that asks you to fetch an item drop pops up, they aren't as much of a pain to complete.

Unfortunately, it's a case of the remake deciding to be a bit too faithful to the original game, and EOU decided to keep both the fetch quests and the low drop rates.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They were 30% drops in EO1 and it wasn't even close to the amount of bullshit it starts pulling later, so it's a real dick move if they kept the drop rate the same. The item select AR code keeps me sane, since I don't fancy rolling 20% or 5% chances multiple times to get all the unlocks.

Also didn't the remake ADD gold item quests for those useless special equipment? I remember all that hell.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

They were 30% drops in EO1 and it wasn't even close to the amount of bullshit it starts pulling later, so it's a real dick move if they kept the drop rate the same. The item select AR code keeps me sane, since I don't fancy rolling 20% or 5% chances multiple times to get all the unlocks.

Also didn't the remake ADD gold item quests for those useless special equipment? I remember all that hell.

the furthest i'm willing to go is some qr code fuckery to grab some skills that enemies just refuse to drop for me(forest barrier/breach i'm looking at you)

as a side note through that i also ended up with a low-level yggdra vaccine which has led to some hilarious party wipes as it always fails at a critical moment

and yes EOU's drop rates are the same, though you can glitch infinite copies of the drop-guaranteeing item if you want to be a jackass right back at it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 24, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thank you, Boost Glitch.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
to be clear re: fetch quests:

later games are much better about requiring obscene amounts of rare items, but EO5 has a few quests that require the gold items from gather points, which can be intensely annoying

to make it worse, there's one per stratum

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Ragnar Homsar posted:

to be clear re: fetch quests:

later games are much better about requiring obscene amounts of rare items, but EO5 has a few quests that require the gold items from gather points, which can be intensely annoying

to make it worse, there's one per stratum

EO4 also has a fetch quest where you require the gold item from the gather point at the end of Windy Archive, which, ughhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Violently Car posted:

EO4 also has a fetch quest where you require the gold item from the gather point at the end of Windy Archive, which, ughhhhh.

EO1 is still the reigning champion with those rear end in a top hat ice mantises and their incredible 3-8% chop points