Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

A lot of the decisions CN makes with its programming makes me think that the suits there will absolutely screw over creators for the pettiest reasons.

I mean, that's just common knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

But why would they?

SU is one of the most popular shows Cartoon Network has had recently. Intentionally screwing it over so it gets canceled is just nonsensical.

Correction, apparently they're also showing it at the rear end crack of dawn at 6 AM, but only one episode there as opposed to a whole hour or even half hour, and it's probably just more reruns. I'd say maybe they're trying to screw over Rebecca Sugar for some institutionalized misogyny bullshit since she's one of only two female creators there, like how the rest of Summer Camp Island's first season was supposed to show later this year, but that's looking increasingly unlikely too.

Then again, OK KO hasn't been showed that much either despite it's pedigree and how much it has going for it, so maybe it really is just pure incompetence on behalf of the higher ups.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Cartoon Network is being extremely incompetent and making boneheaded choices. I just don't think they're part of some conspiracy to get one of their most popular shows canceled because gently caress women.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Screwing over women is rarely a conspiracy, but it still happens all the time.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The other end is that they're terrified of having to end the show, so they're trying to wring every single drop of enthusiasm out of it, by very poorly imitating Disney's scheduling voodoo. (a la Gravity Falls)

Did Disney even make much of a profit off Gravity Falls? The show itself wasn't just niche; Disney also crammed it into a niche as hard as possible

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Screwing over women is rarely a conspiracy, but it still happens all the time.

In my head I just default all TV network executives into Les Moonves. Even before he was outed as a sexmonster who ruined the careers of women who wouldn’t sleep with him, he routinely tormented the cast and crews of shows he personally did not like (such as Star Trek) with snap cancellations just because he felt like swinging his dick around.

I think at the end of the day people like that are more the rule than the exception in Hollywood.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
AFAIK Gravity Falls' weird schedule actually turned out to be due to production delays, because Alex Hirsch was an insane perfectionist.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Neo_Crimson posted:

AFAIK Gravity Falls' weird schedule actually turned out to be due to production delays, because Alex Hirsch was an insane perfectionist.

I believe it was both production delays and Disney schedule fuckery

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The way Cartoon Network has been run the last couple of years has me suspicious that the people in charge are trying to do a "Springtime For Hitler" scheme, where the channel failing will be more profitable to them than it succeeding

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

Correction, apparently they're also showing it at the rear end crack of dawn at 6 AM, but only one episode there as opposed to a whole hour or even half hour, and it's probably just more reruns. I'd say maybe they're trying to screw over Rebecca Sugar for some institutionalized misogyny bullshit since she's one of only two female creators there, like how the rest of Summer Camp Island's first season was supposed to show later this year, but that's looking increasingly unlikely too.

Then again, OK KO hasn't been showed that much either despite it's pedigree and how much it has going for it, so maybe it really is just pure incompetence on behalf of the higher ups.

I don't know that 6 AM is as much of a spite move. A lot of kids get up really early. I know I did when I was a kid (and then I wake up at noon on weekends and wonder what happened to drag me into this sorry state).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

drrockso20 posted:

The way Cartoon Network has been run the last couple of years has me suspicious that the people in charge are trying to do a "Springtime For Hitler" scheme, where the channel failing will be more profitable to them than it succeeding

Didn't that already happen with CN Real?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TwoPair posted:

I don't know that 6 AM is as much of a spite move. A lot of kids get up really early. I know I did when I was a kid (and then I wake up at noon on weekends and wonder what happened to drag me into this sorry state).

Yeah, for a good chunk of elementary school I woke up at 6am on school days. I usually watched Zoids on Cartoon Network while eating breakfast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pakled posted:

Yeah, for a good chunk of elementary school I woke up at 6am on school days. I usually watched Zoids on Cartoon Network while eating breakfast.

That takes me loving back. I used to record Pokemon and pray that the antenna would work.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I believe it was both production delays and Disney schedule fuckery

Yeah, that. IIRC Alex ended it a season earlier than planned because he realised he was burning himself out. (writing, directing AND voice acting)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Honestly, I wonder if they're dragging it (and many other shows) out so they can both keep staff from jumping to Netflix or Amazon for a new series for as long as possible while also building enough of a backlog of episodes that even when production wraps, they can keep stealing attention away from any new series from ex-staff for competing services by dribbling out another half dozen episodes.

Occam's Razor says though it's probably just easier to sell ads on whatever they're stripping the most. Considering all of the youth channels are bleeding linear viewers with CN bleeding the most ( source: https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1073439006191427584?s=20 ,) wringing out the most ad dollars now while stringing out their relatively niche series for maximum streaming views, season downloads and merch opportunities makes some sense. It's just incidentally antagonistic to devoted fans who just want to get at least a solid 10-13 half hours a year that isn't just dumped in a marathon followed by nothing for half a year, not even any reruns.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that. IIRC Alex ended it a season earlier than planned because he realised he was burning himself out. (writing, directing AND voice acting)

Yeah there's a big long post somewhere out there where he says he pretty much wanted to be done after season 1 but dragged himself to get done with a second to wrap up the plot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I strongly disagree with this tweet, the rapid decline in live viewing numbers over it past few years is 100% caused by cable being a way less convenient way to watch shows than the Internet.

Have you ever heard of Zig and Sharko? No? Well it's a cartoon, it has hundreds of episodes up on youtube, and each of those episodes has well over a million views. This one has 53 million views: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCs38W4RPsA

Kids are still watching a TON of cartoons, but there's really no reason to wait around for things on tv anymore when there's so much stuff available right now whenever you want it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Ah, my bad for not clarifying that I linked that tweet to show how dramatically the numbers have fallen off rather than why.

I totally agree with you; kids and everyone else goes to watch what's cheap and easy, which CN really isn't now between needing a cable sub and especially when they're programming for ad dollars not viewers (not always the same thing.) Even if ignoring YouTube, everyone has Netflix and Prime, which provide that balance of access and instant gratification, while CN (and Nick and Disney) are playing a very short term game with long term consequences. Rather, CN's business plan if I'm right isn't good, it just explains what they're doing by not at least trying to have some linear variety, when even the free streaming linear channels on Amazon Fire devices don't run the same show back to back.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 30, 2018

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Three screenshots from the upcoming episodes have been published in Animation Magazine

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

galenanorth posted:

Three screenshots from the upcoming episodes have been published in Animation Magazine

I'm worried about screenshot 1. That's the same expression he had during his little "I'm gonna go martyr myself" freakout when he surrendered to Aquamarine. Don't be stupid, Steven...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

TwoPair posted:

Yeah there's a big long post somewhere out there where he says he pretty much wanted to be done after season 1 but dragged himself to get done with a second to wrap up the plot.

He talks about it a decent amount in the commentary for the series box set that was released earlier this year (Which is really good by the way, definitely recommend picking it up). To hear Alex and the other senior staff on the commentary describe it, producing and writing the series was absolute hell-they would constantly sleep in their offices (sometimes working until 4 am to get a script finished), they were frequently running up against deadlines, and pretty much everyone suffered from massive burnout. As a result, there were never any plans for a third season-the story didn't need one (since they were actually making it up as they went along, and just managed to make it look like everything was planned out), and Alex himself was so burned out that he had to be convinced to come back to finish the series (Even as other senior staff, such as season 1 writer and creative director Michael Rianda, one of Alex's closest partners creating the series, did quit).

Gravity Falls was a great show, but for Alex's own mental health and personal life it's probably a good thing it ended when it did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not that surprising given how ambitious the show was. There was a fair bit of stuff planned out, and the whole point was to have a show where being a total Quizboy over it was actually rewarding with ciphers and codes and foreshadowing.

Of course, SU had a fair amount of that as well. I'm still surprised at how well the Rose Quartz twist was done even when a lot of people technically predicted it. (I think I dismissed it based on wrong assumptions about the technicalities of Gems, heh)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Watchmaker Motie gems!

Marbles?

That's a lot more individuality than we've seen before, too. I wonder if their size means they've been able to build a society out of sight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Watchmaker Motie gems!

Marbles?

That makes me wonder if we're finally going to see callbacks to the Heaven and Earth Beetles with how there are Gems on that scale naturally.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hehe, he wants to eat the mermaid but the shark keeps beatin’ him up!

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
It looks like we get to find out where Onion REALLY came from!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Literally Kermit posted:

Hehe, he wants to eat the mermaid but the shark keeps beatin’ him up!

It's a tale as old as time, a classic example of a hero brought low by his own hubris.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I strongly disagree with this tweet, the rapid decline in live viewing numbers over it past few years is 100% caused by cable being a way less convenient way to watch shows than the Internet.

Have you ever heard of Zig and Sharko? No? Well it's a cartoon, it has hundreds of episodes up on youtube, and each of those episodes has well over a million views. This one has 53 million views: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCs38W4RPsA

Kids are still watching a TON of cartoons, but there's really no reason to wait around for things on tv anymore when there's so much stuff available right now whenever you want it.

Youtube is the only TV for kids under about 12.
I say that thinking that I never watch anything live anyway, but TV is changing a lot and stuff for kids is changing the most.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Taear posted:

Youtube is the only TV for kids under about 12.
I say that thinking that I never watch anything live anyway, but TV is changing a lot and stuff for kids is changing the most.
Considering the algorithm points inexorably toward fascist rhetoric, we should be loving terrified about this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Considering the algorithm points inexorably toward fascist rhetoric, we should be loving terrified about this.

Hey don't worry, it also points towards weird copyright infringing dance videos with cartoon characters or some bizarre poo poo like this so maybe they won't be Nazis, they'll just be weird as poo poo creeps.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TwoPair posted:

Hey don't worry, it also points towards weird copyright infringing dance videos with cartoon characters or some bizarre poo poo like this so maybe they won't be Nazis, they'll just be weird as poo poo creeps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKp2gikIkD8

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The weird thing about all the conspiracy theories on Cartoon Network's bizarre scheduling is that they still keep picking great shows to produce, only a few stinkers. No idea why they pick up these pitches, give the creators control and trust, and then yank them all around. They fall apart a yard before the finish line.

I do still resent the executive fuckery that killed and buried Megas XLR and Symbiotic Titan (I mean cancelling I can handle, but their rights tossed down the hole so they can never see the light of day again is just wrong), but that was a long time ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Satchel and Trunk posted:

It looks like we get to find out where Onion REALLY came from!

Steven already saw.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

New Dove Body Project ad with Bismuth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIPqr_D0TPw

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bismuth: why am I in a soap commerical let's overthrow capitalism the diamonds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone makes Dragon Ball Z comparisons, for good reason, but I still say this show draws as much from Transformers with the usual gender ratio flipped.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Turns out the entire gem monarchy is propped up by tiny worker gnomes, toiling away out of sight and mind unacknowledged by their 'rulers'.

than a liliputian revolution happens and they introduce microcommunism world wide.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh my god, it's Fraggle Rock!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd be down for another series trying to bring about world peace.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
What time (and time zone) is the new episode today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

jassa posted:

What time (and time zone) is the new episode today?

7:30 PM Eastern. 10 hours and 30 minutes from this post.