Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haha. There was a conversation in the Switch Homebrew Thread about what the uses for hacks outside of piracy were, and I was scratching my head.

Completely forgot that the main motivating factor for me finally hacking my Switch was for the sweet, sweet wallpapers.

Next time I feel like gettin' technical I'm gonna find a way to put a BGM on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

No sign of Diablos getting ready to burst up through the ground to eat them and save us from the movie. 4/10

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations on Switch games for older adults (60+) that are getting a console for Christmas? They will be getting Mario Kart and Mario Party already. Are there any puzzle games or non-rpgs/sports that anyone would recommend?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SeANMcBAY posted:

After messing with an Xbox One X for awhile, I really really appreciate the UI on Switch. It’s so clean and fast. We do need folders though and themes would be nice.

It's really cool that a year in and we still don't have more themes or ways to customize the menu screen. Maybe two years from now they'll do it for the New Switch Mini 3d

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TheScott2K posted:

My left joycon stick is responding a little more slowly than usual. It's especially pronounced in Lumines, and I can see it happening in the Settings menu. Calibration doesn't fix it. Seems specific to the y-axis. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" > Nintendo Switch: spray contact cleaner under the left analog stick if it's acting up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I swear I'm about to end up on my third left joycon. I can't repair the latch because I stripped one of the goddamn screws and it's stuck, and now the stick is being a butt too. :mad:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the overall build quality of the hardware side of the Switch has been pretty shoddy.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

TheScott2K posted:

My left joycon stick is responding a little more slowly than usual. It's especially pronounced in Lumines, and I can see it happening in the Settings menu. Calibration doesn't fix it. Seems specific to the y-axis. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yeah. I have the neon Splatoon joycons and if you go to the controller test screen, pull down the left stick, and let it snap back to center, the dot showing where the Switch thinks the stick is positioned takes like half a second to crawl back up to the center of the circle onscreen.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Yeah. I have the neon Splatoon joycons and if you go to the controller test screen, pull down the left stick, and let it snap back to center, the dot showing where the Switch thinks the stick is positioned takes like half a second to crawl back up to the center of the circle onscreen.

It really should be added to the OP: spraying electronics cleaning fluid under the "hood" of the stick fixed these for me on two cases now.

You might have to try it a couple of times, last time I put the cleaner in there + let it dry + tested it and it was still borked so I tried again twice until it got fixed.

The sticks are awfully designed so they just hoover dust & whatever random gunk in there which causes the drifting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

On the topic of joysticks my switch pro controller right joystick is extremely sticky and gets stuck, but not in the “someone dropped soda on it” sense. It’s the Xenoblade one if that matters, and that particular one had issues

I’ll probably find my torx screwdrivers and take it apart and see if anything got in there following a YouTube video. It works most the time, but is definitely off and not as smooth

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations on Switch games for older adults (60+) that are getting a console for Christmas? They will be getting Mario Kart and Mario Party already. Are there any puzzle games or non-rpgs/sports that anyone would recommend?

Picross

Jackbox Party Pack

Conceivably if they liked games during the 90s you could get the sega retro pack? That has Columns and other puzzle games on it. Or Namco Museum if they liked it during the 80s.

The pinball games all seem to have a free table to download, they might get a kick from that.

Death Squared is a good puzzler. It doesn't require quick reactions, has coop and has a hopefully humorous commentary.

Snipperclips is a good first game.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Anyone got that flipper FX game? There's a noticable delay in pressing L/R and the flipper flippin'. Is there a way to fix that?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Acht posted:

Anyone got that flipper FX game? There's a noticable delay in pressing L/R and the flipper flippin'. Is there a way to fix that?

Are you playing it docked or handheld?

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Are you playing it docked or handheld?

Docked.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Planning to go all digital on the Switch and went to buy an SD card. What kind of pricing system is this lol

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Acht posted:

Docked.

Then check your TV settings. There should be a game mode that will eliminate the output lag by cutting out all the fancy image postprocessing stuff.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EmmyOk posted:

Planning to go all digital on the Switch and went to buy an SD card. What kind of pricing system is this lol

You've missed some recent sales but here is the best value card in the UK at the mo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got that one! Though for 4GBP more so could be worse! Thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The top end cards are more expensive since it's still a burgeoning process to get that amount of space in such a small form factor but otherwise NAND prices have been leveling off since shortages are mostly gone.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Then check your TV settings. There should be a game mode that will eliminate the output lag by cutting out all the fancy image postprocessing stuff.

Weird. I only have it with that specific game.
I'll check into it though, thanks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the overall build quality of the hardware side of the Switch has been pretty shoddy.

Agreed, but this should be addressed in the hardware reboot next year. Think of when the original fatty Nintendo DS made way to the Dsi. Should be similar I imagine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Suda51 and Famitsu did a 2 hour stream this morning about Travis Strikes Again, VOD is here. They had an English translator at points so you can watch it if you don't know Japanese. They didn't announce ports of 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD75-fF5SX0

There's a lot of gameplay footage showing off a bunch of the different "games" inside it. Suda's leaned really hard into the Let It Die live action grindhouse aesthetic in some parts but drat the various games have some nice styles to them like that sequence inspired by classic Japanese PC adventure games. They announced the contents of the season pass as well: two new DLC chapters featuring two different NMH1 characters. Shinobu and Bad Girl both get a DLC for about $5 each. They also announced all the original NMH1 voice cast came back for TSA, including Travis. Near the end they said there's a bunch of collaborations and stuff coming they can't talk about right now.

I've been pretty disappointed with TSA since the initial gameplay reveal but seeing it in a more natural, in-depth look rather than segmented gameplay trailers made it look a lot better to me.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 20, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So can i just make a new profile on my sisters Switch and log in with my Nintendo Account and she can then download and play my digitally bought games on her switch as long as i'm not playing and shes connected to the internet? Is this how that thing works?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Shai-Hulud posted:

So can i just make a new profile on my sisters Switch and log in with my Nintendo Account and she can then download and play my digitally bought games on her switch as long as i'm not playing and shes connected to the internet? Is this how that thing works?

AFAIK the games are bound to one's main console that you've set in the account settings. She can play your games on your main console with her account, but not on her main console.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Suda51 and Famitsu did a 2 hour stream this morning about Travis Strikes Again, VOD is here. They had an English translator at points so you can watch it if you don't know Japanese. They didn't announce ports of 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD75-fF5SX0

There's a lot of gameplay footage showing off a bunch of the different "games" inside it. Suda's leaned really hard into the Let It Die live action grindhouse aesthetic in some parts but drat the various games have some nice styles to them like that sequence inspired by classic Japanese PC adventure games. They announced the contents of the season pass as well: two new DLC chapters featuring two different NMH1 characters. Shinobu and Bad Girl both get a DLC for about $5 each. They also announced all the original NMH1 voice cast came back for TSA, including Travis. Near the end they said there's a bunch of collaborations and stuff coming they can't talk about right now.

I've been pretty disappointed with TSA since the initial gameplay reveal but seeing it in a more natural, in-depth look rather than segmented gameplay trailers made it look a lot better to me.

Does it have the beloved masturbation sequence?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Easily the worst thread title in the history of the switch thread.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've got a bridge to sell you buddy

You mean to tell me Nintendo would advertise a game for their system that they will not release on their system? That's illegal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah please change it to something else

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Grasshopper_EN/status/1075714072342028294
It'd be better if they were already a part of the game, but what can you do?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah please change it to something else
Nintendo Switch: Travis Strokes Again.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Switch: Still no themes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nintendo Switch: TheScott2k is gonna buy some contact cleaner on the way home

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
so I take it there's zero news of any other Katamari ports? I'm wrapping up Reroll and yeah it provided me twice the joy and delight that smash has so far. Don't get me wrong, smash is a good, very traditional game but katamari is just fun and a refreshing reminder of how creative video game concepts can be. It's extremely pure

I want to be berated by my abusive sky father some more :sigh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess I’m old maybe but I don’t get the frothy anger over themes. I literally took at my main menu for two things:

1) switching off parental controls
2) changing between games

I also didn’t get the anger when the 3ds didn’t have themes. How long are you staring at your main menu?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I mean they'd be nice to have but yeah, it's pretty inconsequential. That said, wallpapers have been a standard feature for decades in computers, cellphones, tablets/mini PCs, etc.

I imagine slapping a "Set Wallpaper" option would be easy as pie in 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think it's just the "It seems it would be so relatively easy for them to do this thing that would make them money and make us happy and yet they don't" that irritates people but that's Nintendo in a nutshell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If it would take one tenth of a second longer to load I don't want it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagined posted:

I think it's just the "It seems it would be so relatively easy for them to do this thing that would make them money and make us happy and yet they don't" that irritates people but that's Nintendo in a nutshell.

I've heard way too many people IRL laugh at the prospect of buying themes on 3DS, and I imagine Nintendo has too.

I wish we could getting dabbing gamer laser cat avatars like on PS4, though. That's where the real money is.

poo poo, could you imagine getting corn love forever on your switch

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is why I think they're not doing them. The Switch is extremely utilitarian by design. I'm guessing they're hesitant to make it do anything more than running games/software and the other stuff it currently does for fear of bogging it down.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Would a wall paper do much to bog it down? I'm inclined to agree though, going between the PS4 UI and the switch UI regularly really emphasizes just how snappy the switch OS is.

The eShop on the other hand...is that thing actually getting worse week after week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How about they fix the slow rear end E-Shop.

I was trying to browse it last night and gently caress it’s painful.