Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kurieg posted:

Well yeah, when you have Bandwidth Throttle as a level 1 encounter power you don't really need anything else.
lmao I'm keeping it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks! I've just been playing these dumb games for way too long.

I really should give design a try, though. The worst thing that can happen is the world gets another half-baked free game.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
I really like this idea of intrinsic meta-abilites you propose. What if everyone gets a pool of per day "feats of X" they use to really shine in their niche?

Feats of Magic for wizards replaces vancian spellcasting
Feats of Strength for fighters to insta-kill non-fighters, bust down doors/lift gates, automatically intimidate, etc
Feats of Cunning for rogue types to disappear, act first, fast-talk perfectly, etc
Feats of Faith for cleric types to heal, turn undead, inspire or beguile humanoids, etc

Of course, how many feats does each class get and should their be restrictions or just DM fiat them all? That's way beyond my expertise to sketch out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FordCQC posted:

I really like this idea of intrinsic meta-abilites you propose. What if everyone gets a pool of per day "feats of X" they use to really shine in their niche?

Feats of Strength for fighters to insta-kill non-fighters, bust down doors/lift gates, automatically intimidate, etc
Feats of Cunning for rogue types to disappear, act first, fast-talk perfectly, etc
Feats of Faith for cleric types to heal, turn undead, inspire or beguile humanoids, etc

Of course, how many feats does each class get and should their be restrictions or just DM fiat them all? That's way beyond my expertise to sketch out.

Fate points?

e: Not phone posting now. You're talking about a system where you can say "I do my thing" and then it just happens, subject to having the resource available. I assume you're already fine with stuff getting abstracted to "spend point, do thing" if you're talking about meta-abilities and instakills. You should look at FATE if you haven't.

Has there been a FATE version that's supposed to specifically emulate the stories that emerge from D&D? Like, where you have aspects like "Fighter" so you can spend a point to do that fighter poo poo (eg, automatically crash through a giant portcullis, throw the rogue across the river, just straight up behead this guy) and regain points by also doing that fighter poo poo (eg "gently caress this, I charge", "gently caress them and their little arrows, I'm not moving" or "gently caress that, I push the wiz out the way and the ogre's atack myself").

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
My personal super secret D&D hack is to just play anything else other than loving D&D over and over again :twisted:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

My personal super secret D&D hack is to just play anything else other than loving D&D over and over again :twisted:

mine is to play a version of D&D I like and enjoy it and just not worry about circlejerking about D&D being bad

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Mine is to play the dumbest characters I can come up with in other people's campaigns.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what's going on. There are two issues with what's routinely going on in D&D.

First, the gap in power is so great that the fighter makes no meaningful contribution after a certain point - it's not that the fighter no longer benefits from having the wizard around, it's that the wizard no longer really benefits from having the fighter around. This results in the fighter basically just being the wizard's minion - they handle some kind of unimportant make work while the wizard goes and does everything that actually matters.

Second, the wizard routinely gets spells and abilities that not only duplicate what other classes do, they often do it better. A properly built wizard can accomplish everything you'd want a thief/rogue around for, with a higher chance of success and often just straight up more effectively (see: knock vs lock picking), while doing other wizard things besides.

In many editions of D&D, by late or even mid game, the wizard essentially hogs all of the narrative and mechanical agency. Other classes, and especially fighters, really only get to do something if the wizard decides not to do it themselves, or if the DM specifically designs the adventure to create places for other classes to contribute.

3.x gets a lot of attention for this because it's essentially inevitable once you get to mid-levels, and can happen even without major character optimization (in fact, it can happen purely by accident) at low levels. It happened in 2e as well but usually not until mid levels without optimization, though high levels also tended toward inevitability. Also in 2e it was the thief rather than the fighter that suffered most - the differences in combat rules kept fighters relevant early on, and late game the gap was smaller since the fighter was supposed to get a castle. At least, in most campaigns - if you dropped follower stuff and did modules primarily, then it was all wizards and clerics.

This still happens without too much effort in 5e, as well. My experience is that, for all our rogue and barbarian are fightier, a sorceror (and presumably anyone else) still has the kind of utility to bypass fights and other difficult encounters those classes can't just trivially ignore by declaring a spell.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

AlphaDog posted:

Fate points?

e: Not phone posting now. You're talking about a system where you can say "I do my thing" and then it just happens, subject to having the resource available. I assume you're already fine with stuff getting abstracted to "spend point, do thing" if you're talking about meta-abilities and instakills. You should look at FATE if you haven't.

Has there been a FATE version that's supposed to specifically emulate the stories that emerge from D&D? Like, where you have aspects like "Fighter" so you can spend a point to do that fighter poo poo (eg, automatically crash through a giant portcullis, throw the rogue across the river, just straight up behead this guy) and regain points by also doing that fighter poo poo (eg "gently caress this, I charge", "gently caress them and their little arrows, I'm not moving" or "gently caress that, I push the wiz out the way and the ogre's atack myself").

Yeah I'm not as well-read on what's out there these days, I agree it sounds like I should look at FATE.

The other thing you describe sounds loving awesome too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

spectralent posted:

This still happens without too much effort in 5e, as well. My experience is that, for all our rogue and barbarian are fightier, a sorceror (and presumably anyone else) still has the kind of utility to bypass fights and other difficult encounters those classes can't just trivially ignore by declaring a spell.

It is absolutely still an issue in 5th edition and is one of the major design flaws of the system that was intentionally reintroduced after 4th edition fixed it. There is simply nothing that really stacks up against spells like Suggestion or Banishment, much less poo poo like Wish.

The best you can say about fighters in 5th edition is that they can out-damage a caster...if you build them correctly and aren't considering AoE situations. And they do that by breaking the action economy, which is uhhh frankly not the best way to go about designing it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Especially when the vanilla BM ranger is sitting there with an actual for real excuse for breaking the action economy but WOTC says no, leaving them worse off than just not picking a fighting style.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Reene posted:

It is absolutely still an issue in 5th edition and is one of the major design flaws of the system that was intentionally reintroduced after 4th edition fixed it. There is simply nothing that really stacks up against spells like Suggestion or Banishment, much less poo poo like Wish.

The best you can say about fighters in 5th edition is that they can out-damage a caster...if you build them correctly and aren't considering AoE situations. And they do that by breaking the action economy, which is uhhh frankly not the best way to go about designing it.
Speaking of design flaws 4e fixed and 5e reintroduced: why the hell do monsters have ability scores again? They serve no mechanical purpose except adding another step to homebrew, and just figuring out what they should be for a custom monster can be a pain because ability scores as a metric were always intended for humanoids and humanoids alone (example one: how dexterous is a cheetah?). I'm not really a fan of its discrete powers and tactical combat, but 4e made so many great changes before 5e reverted them to appease grognards.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

Speaking of design flaws 4e fixed and 5e reintroduced: why the hell do monsters have ability scores again? They serve no mechanical purpose except adding another step to homebrew, and just figuring out what they should be for a custom monster can be a pain because ability scores as a metric were always intended for humanoids and humanoids alone (example one: how dexterous is a cheetah?). I'm not really a fan of its discrete powers and tactical combat, but 4e made so many great changes before 5e reverted them to appease grognards.

It's one of the bad and dumb results of ability scores and saves being the same thing now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because FRW is gone. Now you need to know what the individual ability scores are to calculate their saves.

Why did 5E bring back saves, and double the saves you need to care about, is a valid question, however.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kurieg posted:

Because FRW is gone. Now you need to know what the individual ability scores are to calculate their saves.

Why did 5E bring back saves, and double the saves you need to care about, is a valid question, however.
Strenngth, Intelligence, and Charisma saves are all pretty useless, meaning that we're back to Con, Wis, and Dex being god stats again. Hey, that's another thing 4e fixed!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FordCQC posted:

This isn't necessarily a bad place to start with something but it does tie back into something that D&D has historically done which is the implicit statement that a "feat of magic" is "potentially anything and everything." It gets back to what moth is saying about narrative control and agency. A Fighter might say "I use my special point to bust down this wall" and that's cool but what stops the Wizard from going "I just teleport past the wall" or "I turn invisible" or something which similarly steps on the Rogue's toes, etc. Like yeah it's still noticeably better that Fighters and Rogues in such a system do have the ability to simply say "I do X" but it's always been a hassle that D&D's conception of the Wizard has veered so heavily into the territory of anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

This isn't necessarily a bad place to start with something but it does tie back into something that D&D has historically done which is the implicit statement that a "feat of magic" is "potentially anything and everything." It gets back to what moth is saying about narrative control and agency. A Fighter might say "I use my special point to bust down this wall" and that's cool but what stops the Wizard from going "I just teleport past the wall" or "I turn invisible" or something which similarly steps on the Rogue's toes, etc. Like yeah it's still noticeably better that Fighters and Rogues in such a system do have the ability to simply say "I do X" but it's always been a hassle that D&D's conception of the Wizard has veered so heavily into the territory of anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better.

Touches on something I've wanted to ask for a while.

Given that D&D is apparently now it's own genre (shudder), what are that genre's expectations? Like, let's say I wanted to do a pbta game that, rather than emulating the trappings of D&D, produced the same in-fiction stories as a (good) D&D game? A bit like what I mentioned above, but not as OTT. Are ineffectual meathead fighters and do-anything smartguy wizards actually a part of it, or are those just kind of weird bits of baggage? If we include (the possibility of) a fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard, elf, and dwarf, have we got all the "classes", or do we need things like halflings, paladins, and double-vampire vampire werecrystal turbobards?

What do I need to include so that someone hearing the in-fiction narrative would immediately know that they were seeing D&D happening?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

AlphaDog posted:

What do I need to include so that someone hearing the in-fiction narrative would immediately know that they were seeing D&D happening?

Drizzt

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spell levels

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Who for years was part of a party with no primary spellcasters. Suicide in D&D, but very successful in the fiction.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The first Forgotten Realms novels, the Moonshae trilogy, had no heroic wizard characters. A lot of the popular storylines in the 90s featured few or no wizard protagonists, or even spellcasting protagonists in some cases. None of this led to any reform in the formula of what playable D&D was. If anything the shift from 2nd edition to 3rd edition seemed intended to ensure no one could ever try to play Drizzt or Arilyn Moonblade without a wizard to prop them up. D&D fails to emulate D&D.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the D&D that can be named is not the eternal D&D. If you meet Elminster on the road, kill him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FordCQC posted:

If you squint hard enough, you can sort of see bits and pieces of this kind of design peeking out from D&D:

The Fighter fights, and is (at least intended to be) really good at fighting, but ultimately still has to resort to rolling
The Thief can disarm traps and unlock doors, but again they do this via rolling, which means there's still a chance of failure
The Wizard can cast spells that disarm traps, cast spells that unlock doors, and cast spells that end fights ... but they only have a limited number of these

Of course, that makes the Wizard a really powerful character, because until and unless you can apply enough pressure to get the Wizard to spend those spells, and until and unless you can apply that pressure enough times to deplete those spells, and until and unless you can also convince the party to keep going for some time after those spells have been depleted (rather than the party just peacing out as soon as they've run out), then the Fighter and the Thief never get to shine.

What should happen, if we're to interrogate this particular line of thought at all, is that the Fighter gets "Fight Tokens" that they can spend to win fights handily, the Thief gets "Five Finger Discount Tokens" that they can spend to grant them success when thievery is critical, and the Wizard gets their own niche of things to spend their spells on, and everyone reverts to rolling once those tokens/spells are used up (or if the players think that the particular scene is "easy" enough that they can leave it up to rolling).

That way, everyone gets their time to shine without having to wait for the Wizard to deign to let them, everyone gets to participate in the resource depletion minigame, and everyone is invested in completing scenes and getting through the adventuring day efficiently.

4e giving everyone Daily powers sort of tried to do this, but only insofar as it (consciously) broke down the combat into various roles, and let you spend your "tokens" on expressing your combat specialty. It worked pretty well, though I imagine it could have been applied more broadly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

What should happen, if we're to interrogate this particular line of thought at all, is that the Fighter gets "Fight Tokens" that they can spend to win fights handily, the Thief gets "Five Finger Discount Tokens" that they can spend to grant them success when thievery is critical, and the Wizard gets their own niche of things to spend their spells on, and everyone reverts to rolling once those tokens/spells are used up (or if the players think that the particular scene is "easy" enough that they can leave it up to rolling).

That way, everyone gets their time to shine without having to wait for the Wizard to deign to let them, everyone gets to participate in the resource depletion minigame, and everyone is invested in completing scenes and getting through the adventuring day efficiently.

To an extent this is how Gumshoe works, albeit in the context of investigations as opposed to dungeon crawls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

To an extent this is how Gumshoe works, albeit in the context of investigations as opposed to dungeon crawls.

I'm still waiting for someone to a dungeon crawl hack of Gumshoe

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to a dungeon crawl hack of Gumshoe

lol I was gonna ask if someone had already done that (I know someone made a fantasy Gumshoe insert that you can slot into other RPGs to add more investigative crunch) but I figured if anyone would know it would be you. I guess they haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think the biggest failure point for d&d is parties who sleep 8 hours in the Dungeon to recover spells. It is super common, and really makes no sense.

Really, who plays D&D games past 10th level anyway? Staying in the lower part of the curve is better for everyone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The 3.5 warlock was supposed to be a damage focused wizard that traded in his utility and skewed damage curve for some higher AC and a damage curve that was a straight line that went on forever.

If your adventuring day lasted long enough that your wizard and sorcerer ran out of spells your Warlock was still cackling like a loon in the back hurling out balls of acid.... in theory.

In practice you were still limited in how much you could adventure by your cleric's ability to sandbag and once that ran out you had to rest regardless.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think the biggest failure point for d&d is parties who sleep 8 hours in the Dungeon to recover spells. It is super common, and really makes no sense.

Really, who plays D&D games past 10th level anyway? Staying in the lower part of the curve is better for everyone.

Most adventures assume that you're going to rest in the dungeon. Because the dungeons are loving huge.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Servetus posted:

If you meet Elminster on the road, kill him.

Kill Six Billion Wizards.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The mountain of Epic-level material that people put out indicates a whole hell of a lot of people did, for whatever weird reason.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Servetus posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the D&D that can be named is not the eternal D&D.

Did you literally just paraphrase the second line of the Dao De Jing while talking about D&D?

Marry me?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Knowing others is intelligence.
Knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength.
Playing a wizard is true power.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 20, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Running a game of 3.5 is like cooking a small fish.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Touches on something I've wanted to ask for a while.

Given that D&D is apparently now it's own genre (shudder), what are that genre's expectations? Like, let's say I wanted to do a pbta game that, rather than emulating the trappings of D&D, produced the same in-fiction stories as a (good) D&D game? A bit like what I mentioned above, but not as OTT. Are ineffectual meathead fighters and do-anything smartguy wizards actually a part of it, or are those just kind of weird bits of baggage? If we include (the possibility of) a fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard, elf, and dwarf, have we got all the "classes", or do we need things like halflings, paladins, and double-vampire vampire werecrystal turbobards?

ok so i'm gonna try to answer this

fighters being ineffectual is mostly a byproduct of bad design i think the "ideal" D&D fighter is competent but not supernatural, and wizards are definitely do anything superheroes
you definitely need some "out there" races like halflings and gnomes or half-orcs i would say paladins and maybe monks are pretty standard by now it definitely has to have a greek style god pantheon

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elfgames posted:

ok so i'm gonna try to answer this

fighters being ineffectual is mostly a byproduct of bad design i think the "ideal" D&D fighter is competent but not supernatural, and wizards are definitely do anything superheroes
you definitely need some "out there" races like halflings and gnomes or half-orcs i would say paladins and maybe monks are pretty standard by now it definitely has to have a greek style god pantheon

Is competent-not-supernatural actually what people think of though? I'm thinking in terms of "natty 20 lol I stole his pants / busted down a castle wall with my forehead / negotiated a win-win trade deal by helicoptering my dick at both delegations" type events.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Most adventures assume that you're going to rest in the dungeon. Because the dungeons are loving huge.

Time to bring back Wandering Monster rolls! :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

D&D is four to six homeless powerful amoral thieves genociding 250 minorities and hauling away all of their valuables (and various parts of their bodies) while the unimpressed locals shrug and then buy all the stuff they stole for a global gold-backed universal eternal currency.

D&D is a limitless, universal supply of ten foot ladders that cost less than two ten foot poles, in a world where a week's wages for an ordinary laborer are less than the price of a single meal in a tavern, which will be certainly burned to the ground by the next group of homeless powerful amoral thieves to meet up there, certainly within the next month or so, with no real consequences.

D&D is a trans-planar setting of racially-segregated societies of people with universal cross-species sexual and reproductive compatibility persisting for at least tens of thousands of years.

D&D is a place where magic is so commonplace and mundane that the vast majority of enchanted items are not even worthy of being named, every vaguely competent professional can possess several, they are routinely and casually exchanged for piles of gold, and yet society has never advanced beyond a pseudo-rennaisance/medieval semi-collapsed state in which laborers till the soil by hand, beggars starve in the streets, and the wealthy can purchase resurrection from the clergy without compromising the deterministic ethical superiority of half of those religions as defined by universal constants of empirically-provable moral absolutes on which the universe runs.

D&D is the armored jackboot of the upwardly-mobile mercenary adventurer caste, stepping on the face of the proletariat forever, plus there's dragons.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 20, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

what follows isn't really intended to be a refutation or real disagreement with this post, I just like to talk about design

I've found that, in 3e, taking BAB, Strength, Strength bonuses from items, magical weapons, and feats into account, a Fighter's chance-to-hit increases faster than a monster of equivalent level's AC. So much so, in fact, that a Fighter will often only be missing on a natural 1.

This then further feeds into damage scaling: if you have a lot of attack bonus to spare, then you can convert that directly into more damage via Power Attack, and that is what gives the Fighter scaling damage with every level, something that otherwise seems like doesn't happen just from a cursory glance at the class's design.
But will he be missing on a natural 1 on his last iterative attack? The fact that every successive attack gets a large, stacking penalty to hit is, to my understand, a big problem for 3.x fighters and fighting types.

homullus posted:

Did you count the number of spells that Gandalf casts in LOTR?
Yeah. Remember when he gets stuck up a tree and throws exploding pinecones at his enemies?

You know, the man whose major contribution to Bilbo's Big Birthday Bash was bring fireworks? Like at least half of the magic Gandalf does could be plausibly taken as sleight of hand and using mundane resources other people aren't aware of.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Servetus posted:

The first Forgotten Realms novels, the Moonshae trilogy, had no heroic wizard characters. A lot of the popular storylines in the 90s featured few or no wizard protagonists, or even spellcasting protagonists in some cases. None of this led to any reform in the formula of what playable D&D was. If anything the shift from 2nd edition to 3rd edition seemed intended to ensure no one could ever try to play Drizzt or Arilyn Moonblade without a wizard to prop them up. D&D fails to emulate D&D.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the D&D that can be named is not the eternal D&D. If you meet Elminster on the road, kill him.

IIRC, wasn't the first real spellcaster 'protagonist' of the D&D books Raistlin?

Who is a massive dick to his party, and generally only doesn't completely make them irrelevant because he refuses to exert himself in any way to help them?

Who eventually goes on to destroy all the gods and leave himself as the sole living creature in the universe, before time fuckery by a kender ends in him instead just beating -one- of the gods and dying. His twin brother, the fighter, goes on to peak at running an inn with their party's other fighter.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 20, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Twenty levels are there, and a lot of people want to play everything advertised in their book, weirdly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Slimnoid posted:

The mountain of Epic-level material that people put out indicates a whole hell of a lot of people did, for whatever weird reason.

I've known people who play epic-level D&D, but I haven't known anyone who actually played a "level 1 right up to epic" campaign all the way through. Most of the people I know who play epic-level D&D start their characters out at those levels in the first place, and a lot of them play epic-level pretty much exclusively. Kinda makes me question whether high-level and low-level D&D are well served by being the same game system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Thuryl posted:

I've known people who play epic-level D&D, but I haven't known anyone who actually played a "level 1 right up to epic" campaign all the way through. Most of the people I know who play epic-level D&D start their characters out at those levels in the first place, and a lot of them play epic-level pretty much exclusively. Kinda makes me question whether high-level and low-level D&D are well served by being the same game system.

I did back in 2e. Played a level 1 through to 24 rogue, because that was about the point the casters hit level 18.

I was completely incapable of failing a thieving skills check, but also completely incapable of being effective past level 15.