Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know that this is feel-good fluff, but it's really really weird to see all this incredibly flimsy reasonings and excuses for marriage. Oh hey I haven't seen you in a decade let's get married are you loving insane.

I have a good idea for a horror-drama manga about the inevitable fallout from this, and I guess plus zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Brought To You By posted:

Picked up a webtoon called The Man Who Cleans up Makeup recently.
Story is about a college student, Kim Yeseul, who is a photography major that spent her whole life studying at the cost of learning how to keep her appearance up.

After her first foray into trying out makeup goes less than as she planned she gets recruited to help out a famed makeup artist, Cheon Yuseong, into being his model for an major corporate funded competition. It's 21 chapters so far with the current translations trailing not too far behind the story and releases every 4 or so days. We'll be caught up in a couple weeks.

As for the story itself
My first though was that Yeseul would be playing second fiddle to Cheon when it came the modelling scene as I wasn't sure what she could bring to the table and the story would be solely about her gaining confidence in her looks. But her photography degree and personality has proven to be just as important, if not more important, as Cheon's skills with a brush given their first photo shoot. Her eye for detail and framing and theme, as well as her drive to change herself both work really well here.

I'm also happy that Juhee seems to be a decent person, just really driven to make it into the industry and more than just a vain pretty face. It would have been really easy to just make her a bitchy character with nothing else going on, but that role seems to be relegated to the copy-cat instead.

Would definitely recommend this one.

I've been following this one and it's been pretty fun. I usually don't read webtoons, but this one has been generally an easy, but enjoyable read and I like the stuff you pointed out about the protagonist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boy that's real.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I did that for a while. Then I went insane and started working towards a career that would get me the gently caress away. First chance I took I started cutting ties and putting down boundaries.

Is there like, an anti- version of this thread? One about manga for bitter old jaded fucks like me?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that's the josei part :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I kinda hate seeing that something has been licensed by Renta because it also seems like a very weird system to me and I don't entirely trust it.

Eh it's not perfect but it's the only place I can get licensed R18 manga from popular series. I kinda hate their reader but so it goes.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for doing a much better job of selling Makeup, cause I've been ignoring it for months and it's really fun.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Everything Burrito posted:

that's the josei part :v:

I absolutely love Josei and only wish there was a lot more translated or at least more on Mangadex, idk what is going on with their search system

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 20, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you haven't tried yet, changing the Demographic to Josei instead of using the tag might give better luck.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Compendium posted:

I absolutely love Josei and only wish there was a lot more translated or at least more on Mangadex, idk what is going on with their search system

I think it's just a genre that doesn't get picked up as often by scanlator teams so there's little of it. Alternatively, could be that after old Batoto went down, a lot of material got lost in the Aether. There is a New Batoto that seems to have Old's stuff so you might wanna check that out. There are also teams that are touchy about posting their stuff on other sites.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
isn't new batoto mining in your browser or something

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Stop changing your goddamn avatar dis. :mad:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i didnt buy this but thanks to whoever did

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a good av

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Onean posted:

If you haven't tried yet, changing the Demographic to Josei instead of using the tag might give better luck.

loving perfect yayyy. I found this one: :nws:https://mangadex.org/title/32033/us-right-now:nws:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alder posted:

Looking promising but plz no love triangle. I swear all the manga I read there's an evitable love triangle which ruins the story. I'd love a manga where the main couple is reasonable and none of this miscommunication problem.
Fu-Fu. They might be a bit silly, but there's bullshit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh hey the Boku wa Mari no Naka guy made a thiiiiiiiiiing? :stonk:

I guess I shoulda expected that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/the_diligent_senpai_and_the_delinquent_kouhai The flood of delinquent yuri continues.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Legitimizing teenage pregnancy :waycool:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
At least they were the same age and not 4+ years apart, though that's a minor improvement at best.

(The rest of it is cute, if a bit shallow.)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Teenagers have sex with each other and get pregnant all of the time, dude. Reality normalized it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
is Gayama a real name

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The realest name

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Legitimizing teenage pregnancy :waycool:
i dont think putting something in a story means you think its the best thing ever and should always happen. It's just something that happens sometimes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Endorph posted:

i dont think putting something in a story means you think its the best thing ever and should always happen. It's just something that happens sometimes.

Akira Toriyama is the world's biggest advocate for total planetary destruction

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh hey the Boku wa Mari no Naka guy made a thiiiiiiiiiing? :stonk:

I guess I shoulda expected that.

Oh dear god my heart :gonk:

I shouldn't read things like these :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If 'from the author of Flowers of Evil' didn't tip you off I dunno what would

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Looking promising but plz no love triangle. I swear all the manga I read there's an evitable love triangle which ruins the story. I'd love a manga where the main couple is reasonable and none of this miscommunication problem.

This webtoon I mentioned a while back ("My ID is Gangnam Beauty") is really good about the main characters being reasonable people who communicate with each other. Like there are misunderstandings, but they always end up just talking with each other about them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

I'll never miss a chance to rec Taisho Otome Otogibanashi.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the latest delinquent thing is more interesting than i expected, given the length and the way a lot of delinquent stuff is

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hair

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.lambdaliterary.org/interviews/12/19/gengoroh-tagame-anne-ishii-conversation/

Really interesting interview with Tagame from Anne Ishii his eng tler/agent, touches briefly on stuff like housing discrimination and bottoms in jp gay culture.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

quote:

What’s funny is at some point people started referring to themselves as “ora neko” (neko means bottom, so an oi bottom). [Laughter] Like a bottom being all macho about getting topped. “Oi! Top me!” Thus taking the stigma out of being a bottom or a neko completely. And I find that so fun.

that is a much better term than power bottom tbh

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

doggy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My impression of the recent Lily Marble updates is that Risa is so loving hot, j*s*s chr*st

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

https://www.lambdaliterary.org/interviews/12/19/gengoroh-tagame-anne-ishii-conversation/

Really interesting interview with Tagame from Anne Ishii his eng tler/agent, touches briefly on stuff like housing discrimination and bottoms in jp gay culture.

That was a pro-click. It's ... not surprising now that I do think about it, but I hadn't actually imagined how intellectual Tagame is.
Thanks Dis!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
ty, like and rt, stan Sadao Hasegawa

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I genuinely screamed when I realized there were no more chapters. :tizzy:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I decided t try and read Skip Beat again and the Ren’s Dad arc is so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Both these dudes are at least 50.