Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Central Sanitary Kite Launch-1364 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Merlin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat, merlin doesn't gently caress around.

Also I love coming to florida on vacation

BRW30311 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30341 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30084 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30301 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30143 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Cool stuff. Visiting florida last January on vacation is what got me into shooting birds in the first place. It’s a great place for that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon Kite-1929 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon Kite-1839 on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We bribed this birb with chips for some modelling.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 27, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man this is nice

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
We’re in England, visiting my wife’s parents for the holidays. Went to a place called Thorp Perrow today to see a bird-of-prey exhibition, among other attractions. It was nice to get out and shoot some action.

drat shame it was overcast—some better lighting would’ve been appreciated. Nevertheless, the old 7D and 55-250 combo held up well enough.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 31, 2018

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Backyard bird

Blackbird by Marc, on Flickr

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I think my neighbor has a poor opinion of me.

Nice! I've got one of these as a neighbor too. He's a territorial fucker, loves to chase any tui or ducks that dare to enter the vicinity of 'his' pond.

So, I finally read through this entire thread and was inspired by all the amazing shots you guys take so I asked santa for a cheap tele lens (40-150mm Olympus) for my mirror-less setup.

The past week has been spent trying my hand at shooting the backyard birds, mostly our resident kingfisher.

It's not too bad when the buggers sit still...

Kingfisher

Kingfisher Dinner

Goldfinch

...but capturing them in motion is a lot trickier. This is the best I've managed so far.

Kingfisher splash

Fun though, loving it!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lankster NZ posted:

Nice! I've got one of these as a neighbor too. He's a territorial fucker, loves to chase any tui or ducks that dare to enter the vicinity of 'his' pond.

So, I finally read through this entire thread and was so inspired by all the amazing shots you guys take so I asked santa for a cheap tele lens (40-150mm Olympus) for my mirror-less setup.

The past week has been spent trying my hand at shooting the backyard birds, mostly our resident kingfisher.

...but capturing them in motion is a lot trickier. This is the best I've managed so far.

Kingfisher splash

Fun though, loving it!
It is indeed difficult but that shot is simply lovely. I think you're doing great so far, you've got some great shots of a particularly good-looking subject.

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Kenshin posted:

It is indeed difficult but that shot is simply lovely. I think you're doing great so far, you've got some great shots of a particularly good-looking subject.

Thanks! Hopefully some day I'll get one properly in focus and not required to be cropped so much.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Found this snowy owl 7 minutes before sunset

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man I love Snowy Owls they either look majestic or mad.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found an owl auditioning for a Corona commercial...

Owl Palm Silhouette l logo-2833 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Found this snowy owl 7 minutes before sunset

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I found an owl auditioning for a Corona commercial...

Owl Palm Silhouette l logo-2833 on Flickr
These are some fantastic owl shots.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Definitely going to play around with this set some more. Here's a vertical but the dumb owl isn't showing off it's tufts as well. This is probably the weirdest thing I've ever said about one of my photos but I think this would make a good beach towel.

Owl Palm Silhouette l logo-2812 on Flickr

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks! Definitely going to play around with this set some more. Here's a vertical but the dumb owl isn't showing off it's tufts as well. This is probably the weirdest thing I've ever said about one of my photos but I think this would make a good beach towel.

This rules. Towel would definitly look good. It would also make a good 80s vibe album cover if square cropped.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that has an extremely 80s/miami vice kinda vibe

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
One owl is a hard drinking renegade with a loose mouth and the other is a veteran on their last day on the job.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pt Reyes YRWA with caterpillar-2917 on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

good beach t'owl

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tilden Townsends -3558 on Flickr

Tilden Townsends -3581 on Flickr

Tilden Red-tail -3644 on Flickr

Tilden Merganser with snack-3753 on Flickr

Tilden Merganser-3694 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mostly crap lighting today.

Meeker Slough Harrier-3839 on Flickr

Meeker Slough LEGO-3869 on Flickr

Meeker Slough Kite-3890 on Flickr

Meeker Slough Canvasback-4097 on Flickr

Meeker Slough Harrier B&W-3845 on Flickr

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Just getting into this bird shooting, it's hard. drat bird's wont sit still.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I set up a feeder in my back yard so that the little SOBs will stay in one spot for more than a few seconds. Might be considered cheating by some in the greater birding world, but I don't lose any sleep over it. :shrug:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Crows are good and stuff.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

Crows are good and stuff.

I'd like to report a murder...

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

He was very happy with himself. There is a never ending battle between the crows and butcher birds on my street, and it's always a highlight to see how aggressive they can be towards each other. So far the crows have been winning.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

It's a snowy owl jamberoo this winter. Found 3 different snowys yesterday, was able to photograph 2 of them, found an all-white male on a fence post, but it was a good 200m or so deep into someone's field

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Those snowy owls are gorgeous.

dark-eyed junco

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Those snowy owls are gorgeous.

dark-eyed junco

Thanks, now here's something not so gorgeous:

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I finally got to get my bird on in downtown Hong Kong of all loving places.

There was some old guy in Hong Kong Park shooting APS-C film with a telephoto. :psyduck:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Seems to have worked out great, those are some great images.

And that panaleica 100-400 is a gorgeous lens.

Here's a great spotted woodpecker. He was a bit too far up in the trees for my puny 600 mm equivalent lens but I'm happy I got to catch it at all. :)

And a little willow tit

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Atlatl posted:

I finally got to get my bird on in downtown Hong Kong of all loving places.

What kind of bird is this? Looks like a New Zealand Silvereye but with a longer beak

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I had to look it up, but that's a Japanese White-eye.

The reflective one is a Fork-tailed Sunbird.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The Sony cameras will be able to do eye-af for animals in an upcoming firmware release (A9, A7III, A7RIII)

Coupled with Sony's mirrorless native 400mm lens (and rumored/upcoming 500 and 600) things are starting to look interesting wrt birds/wildlife and mirrorless cameras.

This means i am running out of excuses as to why my animal photos are crap :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

"The sun was in my eyes" remains an effective one for me. Also useful for driving uh-ohs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

The Sony cameras will be able to do eye-af for animals in an upcoming firmware release (A9, A7III, A7RIII)
Game changing feature if it works.

Unrelated question: how well do 3rd party adaptors work on these Sony bodies for Canon lenses?