Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Expect My Mom posted:

breath of the wild was the greatest game of 2017

It legit makes me sad that Mario Odyssey came out later that year because that game was awesome as well. I loved BotW, but it winning best OST over Mario was bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Expect My Mom posted:

i wont pick between NierA, BotW, Berseria. they are all excellent

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Mario Jodeci

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

skyrim unironically has more rewarding exploration than botw.

if we're gonna knock shrines for being the same i dont really think anything skyrim offers ends up clearing that bar tbh

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

I had so much fun in botw just like...climbing up a mountain I hadn't seen the top of yet :allears:

:same:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am sad nobody noticed the Rimuru pillow.

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm splitting GOTY 2017 between NierA, Persona 5 and BotW (even though I don't own the last one).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

2017 also gave us Yakuza 0. It was a good year.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i thought i liked a single game from 2017 but Blue Revolver came out Oct 2016 apparently which is breaking my brain

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hXwScHqzM

it rules how this matches up w/ my av

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/krakonrollerist/status/1075554935541022720

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

im making GBS threads myself its really been that long

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RME posted:

if we're gonna knock shrines for being the same i dont really think anything skyrim offers ends up clearing that bar tbh

At least getting a new dragon word or a shiny new weapon or piece of gear is more varied than a spirit orb or w/e they were called in botw.

I'm not saying that Skyrim's rewards were good, just that they were better comparatively.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gotys of 2017 are nier automata, tales of berseria and ace combat 3

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If only NierA had gameplay as good as its story.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
nier automata is a 5/10 game cuz i could only stand to play five tenths of it lmao

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
think i shot myself in the foot with berseria going up to impossible difficulty to escape scaling on death but i don't know if i would have stuck with it on easier diff either since whenever i try to mainline gameplay to get to story in games everything starts to feel like a huge slog

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk how lovely people were about the combat when the game released but it's kind of frustrating to me to go through the regular poo poo about it when it's not really a thing i even remotely think about when i say i like the game and barely really consider in any kind of discussion of it

but i'm probably just in a weird mood today and feeling more ticked off by a lot of things than i should

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If only NierA had gameplay as good as its story.

It did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my more extensive answer is that nier automata is on my list of games that i like enough for reasons that i don't really personally care about any issues they have

it's on there with rule of rose which okay i can't really defend that one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
colonel's list of big games:

tales of the abyss
tales of berseria
nier automata
ace combat 3
klonoa 2
rule of rose
chulip
tales of graces f
trails in the sky 3
we love katamari
mega man zero 2-4
zwei
nayuta no kiseki
the misadventures of tron bonne
mr driller 5

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I died once on the fight right before the first boss in Yakuza 0, quit it since I was still under 2 hours played and was going to refund it but I forgot to and now I'm over the time limit so maybe i'll revisit it someday... sounds long though I capped out at 40 hours of DQXI and I really enjoyed that game.

lol brutal

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tron bonne but no mml, I'm into it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

tron bonne but no mml, I'm into it

i still like mega man legends but looking back most of it is because of tron bonne and tron bonne's own game has aged much better than either of the legends games, surprisingly, and tron getting to be her own character without relying on anyone else or crushing on mega man is cool

DisDisDis posted:

I died once on the fight right before the first boss in Yakuza 0, quit it since I was still under 2 hours played and was going to refund it but I forgot to and now I'm over the time limit so maybe i'll revisit it someday... sounds long though I capped out at 40 hours of DQXI and I really enjoyed that game.

the hosed up thing is that the first chapter boss of yakuza 0 is the only hard thing in the entire game and everything after that is if nothing else really easy to cheese with tons of health items and massive fish cannons. that first chapter though, it can gently caress you up

also yakuza 0 isn't really any longer than that if you're not going for all side content possible which tbh you really shouldn't cause some of the sidequests suck supreme rear end

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 20, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway my hosed up mega man legends take is that with capcom's renewed interest in mega man if they ever go as far as making legends 3 then it's probably in a better place to be made now than it was in 2011 because holy gently caress can you imagine that loving camera on a 3ds with a circle pad pro at best

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm imagining it, and... its good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I never reached the first boss so i feel like i was correct in judging my ability to play that game. Well I keep tricking myself into talking about them because I used to be really into the hobby but I think the truth is I just don't enjoy playing games at all, so it's pointless to talk about whether one I might try is good or not.

On the other hand, this game I found clicking around on steam has a boss that 's just a giant penis that wiggles around like a snake and has tiny cartoon arms, lmfao https://store.steampowered.com/app/704910/Tenta_Shooter__The/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

i'm imagining it, and... its good

hosed up to have dreams of massacring your wrists

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I played kid icarus uprising for over 200 hours... I no longer have wrists

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

I played kid icarus uprising for over 200 hours... I no longer have wrists

i avoided kid icarus uprising because i couldn't even comfortably handle smash 3ds

big action game on tiny screen... no good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if ever there was a game designed around its control scheme though, its kid icarus uprising. right up there with typing of the dead and uh that japanese arcade game where you spank people and the controller is just a big butt

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I get the people who feel the combat in nier automata didnt live up to some sort of hype, or were disappointed that it wasn't as complex as in other character action games like Bayonetta, but the people who call the gameplay outright bad just seem to be performative assholes just making GBS threads on the game because of all the praise it gets otherwise.
Like if you want to call the combat in nier automata bad, you kinda have to say the combat in pretty much any action game pre ps3 is bad
Which is, hrm.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The only of Nier Automatas combat mechanics worth talking about is the struggle against the constant crashes.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The combat was kind of repetitive but the kinaesthetics were so good that I didn't care.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

if ever there was a game designed around its control scheme though, its kid icarus uprising. right up there with typing of the dead and uh that japanese arcade game where you spank people and the controller is just a big butt

If only KI:U didn't hate lefties i might enjoy it a lot more than I do.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Julias posted:

I get the people who feel the combat in nier automata didnt live up to some sort of hype, or were disappointed that it wasn't as complex as in other character action games like Bayonetta, but the people who call the gameplay outright bad just seem to be performative assholes just making GBS threads on the game because of all the praise it gets otherwise.
Like if you want to call the combat in nier automata bad, you kinda have to say the combat in pretty much any action game pre ps3 is bad
Which is, hrm.

i loving hated it and i've never performed anything because i'm very shy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the only pre ps3 action game i remember playing is fable and i liked it but i was also like 8 years old, but it's very possible all pre ps3 action games are bad

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nier A is my personal GOTY of 2017
Nier 1 was also my GOTY of 2010

Big yoko fan here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sefal posted:

Nier A is my personal GOTY of 2017
Nier 1 was also my GOTY of 2010

Big yoko fan here.

I'd never have guessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what i saw of the gay incest twins in routes a and b was probably the most fun gay guy rep i've seen in videogames though

that's the only thing that was really memorable from them for me tho