Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sometimes schrats show up as a hexe's goons outside of forests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Current mood:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anyone else gets insanely good Beggars? The one I got for paltry 120 gold pieces got three stars in Melee Combat, Ranged Combat and Melee Defence. He's potentially the best fighter in the entire outfit.

Also, somehow every single loving Hunter I hire doesn't have any talent in shooting. Which is infuriating, because they cost a lot and frequently get traits like Night Owl, which normally would make them insanely good with a bow.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'd appreciate it

I want to update my beginner's guide for the DLC but I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around all the implications of the new system, and I may need to revise my whole approach.

For the moment this is my worksheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C7OUUKzsGJSSbswonWXmKJq0IGAhHHs0DgbYeRNGS4c/edit?usp=sharing
I'd recommend taking a look at the new pole-arm mastery. I've been taking it ASAP on all my lancers and it has made a huge difference on their effectiveness, especially when combined with pathfinder. You might want to take it earlier than level 11.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The new polearm mastery is huge, because it lets a dude with berserk to take a step after a kill and still strike again.

My problem with it is my own muscle memory, because I instinctively keep hitting end turn after moving a polearm dude two hexes, thus wasting a hit.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 19, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

vyelkin posted:

I took dodge on all my nimble bros before this recent patch, because they were wearing regular clothes with zero fatigue penalty. Now that they're wearing armour with around -17 fatigue, suddenly dodge isn't as good anymore, their initiative is barely higher than my heavy armour bros.
I think if you have a bro with inherently high Initiative Dodge can be worth it if he's going to use a weapon that doesn't generate too much Fatigue. I'd try it on sword, two-handed axe and polearm users, especially since the boost to Ranged Defense is relevant at least to the latter two.
On a mace bro or someone using lots of AoE attacks, I'd just never take Dodge regardless of starting stats.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Nordick posted:

The new polearm mastery is huge, because it lets a dude with berserk to take a step after a kill and still strike again.

My problem with it is my own muscle memory, because I instinctively keep hitting end turn after moving a polearm dude two hexes, thus wasting a hit.
Yeah, that interaction makes berserk a pretty strong pick on polearm users as well. Funny how a 1 AP buff makes you so much more flexible.

When it comes to muscle memory I now have the opposite problem; I keep moving my low level pre-mastery lancers two hexes thinking they can still attack afterwards. :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it just me, or is Fat a pretty good trait for a nimble build now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nordick posted:

Oh my, now that's getting interesting.

So theoretically, you could fire a crossbow bolt, quick hands to a pike, strike, kill, strike again, all in one round?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

So theoretically, you could fire a crossbow bolt, quick hands to a pike, strike, kill, strike again, all in one round?
In the best case scenario, yes indeed! And it works with billhooks as well of course, making it even easier to get that killing blow.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Broken Cog posted:

Is it just me, or is Fat a pretty good trait for a nimble build now?

I assume he's called the Snake because he eats like one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oh my, now that's getting interesting.

As long as you don't accidentally kill someone with the crossbow shot and waste two of your Berserk AP though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Exodee posted:

In the best case scenario, yes indeed! And it works with billhooks as well of course, making it even easier to get that killing blow.

Yeah, I'm just thinking pike because of the banner.

I need to check and make sure that "Sell banner, recomplete ambition, get second banner" trick still works. I love having two banners.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That reminds me, they really need to have an ambition to upgrade your banner to pump up its damage a bit. It wouldn't hurt if it could be made as powerful as a pike or even slightly stronger - you can only get one (or two with the sell/buy trick) after all.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wizard Styles posted:

I assume he's called the Snake because he eats like one.

Fat: Good for Nimble, bad for fencing sword

this was the character Wiz discovered this fact on

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's interesting that because of how the fatigue to armour breakdown works with armours vs. helmets that there's some solid argument towards using a barbute helm on your nimble characters which then gives enough additional head armour that you can skip taking iron brow and only lose a small amount of overall survivability in exchange for a free perk

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Gridlocked posted:

Fat: Good for Nimble, bad for fencing sword

this was the character Wiz discovered this fact on
Oh yeah, the Fatigue penalty from Fat actually counts against Initiative although the mouseover description doesn't tell you that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I actually haven't had the chance to try the fencing sword yet, as I think the only way of getting it is by buying it. (Or maybe you can pick it up from a mercenary/Swordmaster)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Another really good map seed. There are two central large cities and a citadel that you can use as resupply stations for excursions into the wilderness to the west. Lots of mining villages, and a couple forest towns with hunter huts.

Starting bros are decent, but nothing spectacular.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 20, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is the 3 pronged flail good?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is the 3 pronged flail good?

It's interesting. I've been meaning to try it out with Ferocious as it rolls 3 separate hits per swing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found an unique one that felt really underwhelming. Don't take it for damage, though the three hits are nice for giving a higher chance that at least one blow will go through, so it's better at finishing off low enemies or enemies with Nine Lives.

Maybe it triggers Fearsome or something, but my flail guy didn't live long enough to test that that run.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

It's interesting. I've been meaning to try it out with Ferocious as it rolls 3 separate hits per swing.

Hmmm, does it trigger Overwhelm three times, by any chance? I'd assume not because that would be amazing, but you never know!

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Broken Cog posted:

I actually haven't had the chance to try the fencing sword yet, as I think the only way of getting it is by buying it. (Or maybe you can pick it up from a mercenary/Swordmaster)

I hired a guy that had one. I like the move up to 2 spaces with thrust and then attack again

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Has anyone tried a throwing build? I keep getting recruits with stars in M.atk and R.atk after I already have four xbow/pole quickhands bros in the backline.

Major Isoor posted:

Hmmm, does it trigger Overwhelm three times, by any chance? I'd assume not because that would be amazing, but you never know!
It only triggers once.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

grrarg posted:

Has anyone tried a throwing build? I keep getting recruits with stars in M.atk and R.atk after I already have four xbow/pole quickhands bros in the backline.

CircularSin posted a skirmisher build on Reddit that appears to have been deleted, but I'll dig through my old scratchpads later to see if I have a copy. When I ran it through it's paces, it was a ton of fun and great at inflicting injuries but very ammo heavy if you were running several like I was. Not sure how viable they are in a legit game as I used BBEdit to get good recruits, but I'd say go for it.

Stick to javelins for most encounters and switch to axes if you're fighting skellimans.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just noticed that the Hexen that appear with certain groups of enemies during Hexen defense missions have special names. Just fought the spider leader one, and she was called "Spider Queen".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Presented without comment:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Yasonovabitch

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Have special recruits always had these unique mood events logged when you get them?

Also, I keep getting actually decent fruit fuckers

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gantolandon posted:

Anyone else gets insanely good Beggars? The one I got for paltry 120 gold pieces got three stars in Melee Combat, Ranged Combat and Melee Defence. He's potentially the best fighter in the entire outfit.

Also, somehow every single loving Hunter I hire doesn't have any talent in shooting. Which is infuriating, because they cost a lot and frequently get traits like Night Owl, which normally would make them insanely good with a bow.

I found a beggar named "the sick" in a bandit camp as prisoner, and he has 3, 2 stars in melee and melee defense, dude wrecks

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tias posted:

I found a beggar named "the sick" in a bandit camp as prisoner, and he has 3, 2 stars in melee and melee defense, dude wrecks

What were his starting stats though?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Schrats are nightmares, but mostly because you only ever fight them in forests. If you could fight them on plains and properly surround them, and do more careful positioning so your guys aren't all vulnerable to their line AOE attack, they would be a pushover. But in forests with all the chokepoints and limited maneuvering, you often end up in situations where only one or two bros can face the schrat so it takes a long time to kill breaking its shields over and over, and your longaxe users are often stuck standing where they'll get murdered by the AOE. I already don't like forest fights, so I think I'll just avoid schrats altogether because I found my fight against them really unfun and virtually guaranteed that at least one longaxe user would die from some unlucky hit (those AOE attacks do insane damage).

Ain't that the bloody truth! I joined in a fight where 3 noble house units jumped a group of 4 Schrats. With me it came to almost 50 men. I figured I could get my pikes and archers to get some cheeky shots in and get some easy loot while the footmen swarmed the enemy. 15 turns later about 10 of the noble units are dead or dying and the Schrats are barely scratched. I retreated out, watched the battle on the world map and the Schrats were wiped out in seconds :wtc:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yet another balance and bug fix

Changelog for 1.2.0.21
Added blood-red variants of all common helmets.
Added new recipe for crafting red paint.

Changed 'Nimble' perk to grant damage reduction to hitpoints up to 60%, down from 66%, lowered exponentially by the total penalty to maximum fatigue by head and body armor after the first 15 points.
Changed three-headed flails to no longer potentially lose durability with each connecting strike, but only once per skill use.
Changed 'Lunge' skill of fencing sword to no longer calculate its damage bonus after fatigue from current skill use is applied, but before. Effectively, the skill will do more damage now.
Changed events for legendary locations to now automatically dump the lowest value item from your inventory, if the inventory happens to be entirely full, in order to make room for legendary item rewards.

Fixed 'Famed Explorer' achievement not registering as completed.
Fixed crash on fleeing Lindwurm dying while attempting to leave a zone of control.
Fixed crash on Irrlichts dying to bleeding damage right while they're ensnaring someone.
Fixed issue with ambitions to discover legendary locations not working properly.
Fixed issue with combat in 'Raid Caravan' contract not working properly.
Fixed issue with loot not working properly as Wiedergangers reanimate right after clicking to end the battle via dialog.
Fixed issue with Saplings and Wiedergängers potentially showing as stuck in the ground if attacked during their initial raising-from-the-ground animation.
Fixed permanent injury visuals still showing on characters after being cured with a certain item.
Fixed named two-handed flails having no improved values over their common counterparts. The fix only applies to weapons generated after the update.
Fixed various minor issues.

Nimble keeps getting nerfed, soon I will regret even having three nimble bros

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

Nimble keeps getting nerfed, soon I will regret even having three nimble bros

Ehh, this seems pretty minor. It's still way better than it was pre-dlc, it just means you can't go full naked now.

I'd still like to see a fix for "hexen charming everyone in your group on the first turn" or "chain hexing your party so nothing can be done except wait around while your guys axe each other."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Since the patch I'm now experiencing a weird bug where I can't click on certain enemies to attack them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just had to quit a winnable battle because I literally could not target either a weiderganger or a fallen hero. Like none of my guys could click on them to attack them. I tried moving them around the battlefield so they'd stand on different hexes, nothing. Just could not actually fight them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just tried the same fight again and got two more untargetable weidergangers, it might be some new bug that sometimes when they resurrect they can't get targeted by anything.

This also applies to AOE attacks by the way. An AOE attack that starts on a targetable enemy and should continue to the untargetable one doesn't even try to hit it. Meanwhile it can still attack and kill you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Riposte time until they fix it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wizard Styles posted:

e: On a completely different note, why do enemies not like dogs anymore?
I'm offering them prime sacrificial dog meat and they still keep stabbing my bros.

I've noticed this too, and I think the AI now makes target priority based on a mix of "how easy is it to hit this character?" and "how much damage will they do to me next action?" Maybe that's not the case, but it seems like most bad guys who aren't going to take much damage from the next dog attack will just go for bros instead.