Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Checking this thread reminded me I probably should just throw some money in my escrow because Quicken seems to be completely incapable of calculating my escrow payments correctly. It is always low.

I'm still chugging along. A big raise a month ago certainly has helped, I raised my mortgage payment up a bit again. Nothing else really to report. I'm doing extremely good for a single person in my area and I'm just right there in the middle class or whatever. :shrug:

Had to throw more money in my escrow. Who cares, it was like another hundred ad fifty bucks. I kinda look forward to the day I can just opt out of the escrow and pay my own insurance and taxes as I actually like doing that poo poo. I'm pretty close, I'm at 82% loan-to-value ratio when I started at 90% in Jan 2016.

Honestly I'm not really sure what to do atm, I've got like twenty grand in the bank and I could just wipe my student loan out today if I wanted. I'd have enough left in my savings to fully fund my 2019 Roth IRA on Jan 1 and still have a couple months emergency fund left over. It'd empty out the "new car fund" I've been accumulating since 2014 when I paid off my car loan (I just started paying the payment to myself instead) but I don't really need a new car or anything anytime soon either so it's kinda just sitting there doing nothing.

I guess I'm just always nervous about having less liquid cash sitting around in my bank account but I don't really see a situation coming up where I'm gonna take a hit that costs me more than a couple grand anytime soon.

Again, :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Had to throw more money in my escrow. Who cares, it was like another hundred ad fifty bucks. I kinda look forward to the day I can just opt out of the escrow and pay my own insurance and taxes as I actually like doing that poo poo. I'm pretty close, I'm at 82% loan-to-value ratio when I started at 90% in Jan 2016.

Honestly I'm not really sure what to do atm, I've got like twenty grand in the bank and I could just wipe my student loan out today if I wanted. I'd have enough left in my savings to fully fund my 2019 Roth IRA on Jan 1 and still have a couple months emergency fund left over. It'd empty out the "new car fund" I've been accumulating since 2014 when I paid off my car loan (I just started paying the payment to myself instead) but I don't really need a new car or anything anytime soon either so it's kinda just sitting there doing nothing.

I guess I'm just always nervous about having less liquid cash sitting around in my bank account but I don't really see a situation coming up where I'm gonna take a hit that costs me more than a couple grand anytime soon.

One issue with them calculating it correctly is that your taxes and insurance likely change slightly every year. If you read the notice carefully you can probably opt to ignore it and they will true you up through increasing your monthly payment. I loathe the day I have to deal with paying my taxes and insurance myself, but CA pays 2% interest on escrow accounts which until recently was a decent spread over normal savings accounts.

If you have >3 or 6 months of living expenses saved up in that $20k, pay down your high interest loans to whatever your emergency fund savings goal is set to.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you had the amount in your bank that was what you expect it to be after the student loan and Roth are paid for, would you take out a loan on the same amount/terms to have cash in your account?

Of course you wouldn't, but you can still fund your Roth and pay for 50% of your student loan now, and then pay the rest off after you've let the chips settle.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you're right, I just waffle a lot.I just scheduled a payment to throw 4500 bucks at it this month and maybe more when I get my bonus in December.

I'm also gonna pay my mortgage down to 80% and get an appraisal to knock off my PMI, since I called them and found out it wouldn't automatically drop off until the date I would have hit 78% based on the original payment structure for the loan, disregarding any additional payments I've made. I was just gonna pay it down to 78% to avoid the appraisal but that's not actually an option.

There's no way that appraisal is going to cost as much as the total PMI I'd be paying until mid 2023 so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do it once I finally finish renovating my drat bathroom.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Just became not-worthless by paying off my credit card!

Finally puts to bed a long saga where I resigned from a startup I founded (my co-founder was a terrible person), lost a long-term relationship, and nearly had to move back home. Should have a decent emergency fund back in place in the next few months. Feels like I learned a lot about doing my due diligence, not being over-optimistic and who I could really rely on.

Now, if I'd actually listened to the advice from older and more cynical goons a year or so ago, most of this wouldn't have happened, but disregard that.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Purple Prince posted:

Now, if I'd actually listened to the advice from older and more cynical goons a year or so ago, most of this wouldn't have happened, but disregard that.

It sounds like you're one year older and more cynical now than you were, and are telling me to disregard your own advice? :crossarms:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah you're right, I just waffle a lot.I just scheduled a payment to throw 4500 bucks at it this month and maybe more when I get my bonus in December.

I'm also gonna pay my mortgage down to 80% and get an appraisal to knock off my PMI, since I called them and found out it wouldn't automatically drop off until the date I would have hit 78% based on the original payment structure for the loan, disregarding any additional payments I've made. I was just gonna pay it down to 78% to avoid the appraisal but that's not actually an option.

There's no way that appraisal is going to cost as much as the total PMI I'd be paying until mid 2023 so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do it once I finally finish renovating my drat bathroom.

This may be illegal if you have a conforming freddie/Fannie loan. Get yourself to 78% ltv of the original loan amortization and call again. Press them to show you on your paperwork where it says this.

If you are using any other type of loan Google around. See if they will do an automatic valuation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'll have to check my paperwork I was just talking to one of the phone agents at Quicken she may not have known what she was talking about.

Edit: I just got my files out, the mortgage agreement specifically says the scheduled date, they even italicized it.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'll have to check my paperwork I was just talking to one of the phone agents at Quicken she may not have known what she was talking about.

Edit: I just got my files out, the mortgage agreement specifically says the scheduled date, they even italicized it.

Yeah they can't override law. Lean on point #2 when you hit 78% of the original loan amortization.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah they can't override law. Lean on point #2 when you hit 78% of the original loan amortization.

Do you have a source on that law?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do you have a source on that law?

Ugh my mistake here. I thought it was guaranteed automatic at 78%. You might still ask but it looks like that stupid date is set in stone. I thought it was "30 days past the date when your mortgage hits 78%" and not just a scheduled time. Wells Fargo cut mine off at 78% with just a phone call. Might be worth a shot to save $500 on an appraisal.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/when-can-i-remove-private-mortgage-insurance-pmi-from-my-loan-en-202/

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
like my house appraised at ten grand over the purchase price two years ago i can't imagine anything has drastically changed.

they probably just make everyone do the appraisal because $$$. and not like they even care that their own website claims my house is worth twice the purchase price and I can def get a home equity loan for more than my original mortgage lol

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Based on my friend's hassle with only being able to use appraisers from a pre-approved list of providers to drop his PMI, his situation probably means his mortgage servicer gets a kickback...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Quicken left me a voicemail saying the thing would cost $115, so I imagine it's just some in-house thing they do that's similar to but not actually an appraisal cause that seems pretty low.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Quicken left me a voicemail saying the thing would cost $115, so I imagine it's just some in-house thing they do that's similar to but not actually an appraisal cause that seems pretty low.

Sounds like a automatic valuation. Much better than the $500 or whatever it would be for someone to show up. Do it!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like a automatic valuation. Much better than the $500 or whatever it would be for someone to show up. Do it!

Yeah I sent the extra payment earlier and sent an email to get started cause they wanted written notice and an email is good enough.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Due to a new job and some lifestyle changes I can now save about $800 a month instead of like $50.

Slowly building up savings instead of living paycheck to paycheck is great, I tell you what.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Congrats! Building up a real savings feels good.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Awesome! Max out that Roth and start a brokerage account.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Due to a new job and some lifestyle changes I can now save about $800 a month instead of like $50.

Slowly building up savings instead of living paycheck to paycheck is great, I tell you what.

wait when did you get a new job, i missed it i think. congrats!

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
My workplace was bought by another company earlier this year, and benefits and pay are about to transfer to the new system. Raises and bonuses come in March/April instead of 1/1, but I found out I’m on a nicer bonus plan now. I also used this switchover to start putting aside $100 each month going forward automatically to an account with great interest.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh I never gave an update, they actually did send someone to my house and he just took like twenty pictures and left. House value came in like 30k above what I needed so my December payment was the last time I have to pay PMI.

I also adjusted all my payments so I'm throwing all the extra at my student loan instead of the mortgage now and got my bonus yesterday so I threw even more cash at it. It's just over 7k left to go now, it'll be gone by the end of 2019. :woop:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh I never gave an update, they actually did send someone to my house and he just took like twenty pictures and left. House value came in like 30k above what I needed so my December payment was the last time I have to pay PMI.

I also adjusted all my payments so I'm throwing all the extra at my student loan instead of the mortgage now and got my bonus yesterday so I threw even more cash at it. It's just over 7k left to go now, it'll be gone by the end of 2019. :woop:

:toot: congrats! Same thing in the other thread. Sounds like you are setup to have a ton of freed up cash flow really soon.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, saving that $500 a month for next year's Roth IRA contributions is a little rough but I still have plenty left over.

I'm really thankful the only real debt I have is this student loan and my mortgage.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait when did you get a new job, i missed it i think. congrats!

Thank you my friend. Those were dark times for me. Sincerely, you provided reasoned advice and constant support at a time when I was losing my mind. I appreciate you and I appreciate our community. You are a good person.

Always more thinking to be done.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 23, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you want to remain an individual contributor, data science
if you want to join management, MBA

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
These are reasonable suggestions. There is going to be a shortage of data scientists for at least the next decade.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I listed my rental house Tuesday after working on it for a solid 6 weeks. We got 7 offers in 2 days, and are under contract. :toot:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Tax loss harvested for the first time. $600 saved, thanks tanking market!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

Tax loss harvested for the first time. $600 saved, thanks tanking market!

2 more days like this and my retirement accounts will be back where they started Jan 1 despite maxing everything out!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

2 more days like this and my retirement accounts will be back where they started Jan 1 despite maxing everything out!

It does kill me that now I have another $300 of unharvestable losses but oh well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I made a plan 8 months ago and today my total credit card debt is zero dollars.

Feels good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Feels good.

:toot:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Rolo posted:

Feels good.

Congrats! Have a plan to avoid it in the future! What was your peak balance?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Rolo posted:

Feels good.

Congratulations Rolo!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rolo posted:

Feels good.

:hfive:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nicely done dude!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Rolo posted:

Feels good.
Woooooooooooooo happy new year :toot:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks guys! I’m excited to take those payments and roll them into my student debt and car loan.

According to nerd wallet’s calculator I’m on track to being 100% debt free in 2022. Sounds like a long ways out, I know, but if I had been making minimum payments it would be 2038.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Within the past 6 months, my wife and I both purchased new(er) cars with cash. We budgeted for them and did not have to touch our emergency fund. I replaced an aging 99 Camry with a 2007 Camry, she got an 06 Matrix to replace her worn-out 01 Saturn.

We have been paying for her to finish her bachelor's at the same time. She got a promotion a couple months ago and will be finishing school in Spring. This will allow us to start saving lots of money for eventual purchase of a new home. We'd like to save $50k by 2016 for the down payment, again without having to touch our emergency fund.

This was a post from 2012, and lots of things have happened since then:
- Wife has finished her Masters and now has a system-wide position in the largest hospital system other than the VA.
- We both got new hybrid cars this year again, both paid for in cash. Hers is a 2017, mine is a 2019.
- We bought a new house in 2015 (referenced above) and put down 20%.
- We still own the old house and rented it out for almost 3 years. However, we are closing on it a week from today :toot: :toot: :toot:
- We had a kid in 2018! He's really awesome :)
- I started a new job about 4 years ago. I'm finally making nearly the same amount of money but the healthcare is great.

We're planning on maxing out our Roth IRAs for 2018/2019 with the proceeds from the house, and will be renovating our master bathroom finally.

I feel like a new chapter in our lives is beginning.