Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

I came into work to find that someone had used my desk overnight, and apparently used my glasses cleaning cloth to scrub gunk off the bottom of my-- or rather, our-- mouse.

Sharing desks in general is something I can't stand, but on top of that: how hard is it to not touch someone else's poo poo? How do people have a real, actual job and still not understand the concept of "this is not mine, maybe I shouldn't use it to scrape nasty dirt from office equipment"?
Holy poo poo, that would infuriate me. That's not your stuff! If you must use it, use it with care! Ugh!

My mousepad went missing at work one day. Turns out the IT guy had cut it in half to, like, prop up a wobbly server or something, and then threw the other half in the trash for good measure. He didn't apologize, just shrugged it off as a "well, I needed it, and there it was" kind of thing. This was an honest-to-God meaningful mousepad, too, not dumb dime-a-dozen trade-show swag. gently caress, I just remembered that--this was nearly twenty years ago--and I'm mad all over again. Respect other people's poo poo! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ghost emoji posted:

I'm guilty of this :j: but it's because even though my dog is super sweet and has never bitten/attacked anyone, he does look kinda scary, and I don't want to risk scaring someone who doesn't like dogs.

You are guilty of nothing, that's the good thing to do. For other dogs and for humans.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: if you are sick, and have been for a week, coughing, sneezing, taking cold medicine every day, but by week two you still haven't gone to the dr despite trying all the over the counter poo poo and still feeling like crap, GO TO THE loving DOCTOR ALREADY.

They've probably been conditioned to not go to the doctor from a previous job. The employer I just left had a policy that you needed a note from a doctor if you missed more than two consecutive days of work, and it was normal for temps to just quit instead because looking for a new job was less financially ruinous than a doctor visit.

Also, doctors can't treat colds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah doctors hate those policies too because it’s a waste of their time.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
In Australia at least we can get a pharmacist to issue one of those letters.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My pet peeve is new jersey. I do phone support for a variety of sites across the country and new Jersey calls are the ones I hate the most.

gently caress new jersey and everyone who lives there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Hirayuki posted:

Holy poo poo, that would infuriate me. That's not your stuff! If you must use it, use it with care! Ugh!

My mousepad went missing at work one day. Turns out the IT guy had cut it in half to, like, prop up a wobbly server or something, and then threw the other half in the trash for good measure. He didn't apologize, just shrugged it off as a "well, I needed it, and there it was" kind of thing. This was an honest-to-God meaningful mousepad, too, not dumb dime-a-dozen trade-show swag. gently caress, I just remembered that--this was nearly twenty years ago--and I'm mad all over again. Respect other people's poo poo! :mad:

IT support guys aren't typically known for their ability to respect social norms. The ones I've known always had a thinly veiled seething contempt for all the people they are helping, probably because we got paid more and didn't know or care what a linux kernel or whatever is so we couldn't tell them much beyond "it's borken, fix please". Which is probably their own peeve but like...that's what you get paid to know, you don't have to be so mean about it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hirayuki posted:

This infuriates the gently caress out of me. It's like people who work in an office with cubes/open office have an attitude that everything is "communal" and will just borrow/take stuff that's sitting in your work area.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

IT support guys aren't typically known for their ability to respect social norms. The ones I've known always had a thinly veiled seething contempt for all the people they are helping, probably because we got paid more and didn't know or care what a linux kernel or whatever is so we couldn't tell them much beyond "it's borken, fix please". Which is probably their own peeve but like...that's what you get paid to know, you don't have to be so mean about it.

In TYOOL 2018 expecting someone to know how to do their job, and to do it, is bullying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why can I only remember a name or a face, and never both? "Oh hey! Uhhh"is embarrassing, and squinting at someone and being like "oh wait you're Kim!" while they're like uh yep is embarrassing. Be better, memory!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

My memory pet peeve is that if I need or want to remember something, I have to work really hard to remember it, but when it comes to some trivial poo poo that I couldn't care less about (who played in what movie, who sang what song) that poo poo just stays in my brain with total recall.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

My memory pet peeve is that if I need or want to remember something, I have to work really hard to remember it, but when it comes to some trivial poo poo that I couldn't care less about (who played in what movie, who sang what song) that poo poo just stays in my brain with total recall.

God drat, I've had to struggle so many times to remember why I went upstairs or what else I need at the store, meanwhile songs are going through my head with perfect lyrical accuracy.

...that's probably a psychological condition, huh?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

God drat, I've had to struggle so many times to remember why I went upstairs or what else I need at the store, meanwhile songs are going through my head with perfect lyrical accuracy.

...that's probably a psychological condition, huh?

It's called being human

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Andrast posted:

It's called being human

Is there a medication

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Is there a medication

Vodka.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Garrand posted:

My pet peeve is new jersey. I do phone support for a variety of sites across the country and new Jersey calls are the ones I hate the most.

gently caress new jersey and everyone who lives there.

Oh man, when I worked in a call center (phone support for cable billing, yay) it was well-known that everyone in New York and New Jersey was angry and when you saw that area code pop up on screen you'd better prepare to be yelled at.

Now that I'm doing social media customer service/support, NJ/NY people are the "And how will I be compensated for my time??" people. The ones who demand a gift card to make up for the agonizing effort of returning to the store to pick up the bag they left at checkout, because "It's not my job to fix this, it's your job. So fix it!!"

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Dec 20, 2018

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: if you are sick, and have been for a week, coughing, sneezing, taking cold medicine every day, but by week two you still haven't gone to the dr despite trying all the over the counter poo poo and still feeling like crap, GO TO THE loving DOCTOR ALREADY.

Can't afford it. I have no health insurance, and even when I did the copays were way above my pay grade. Also losing out on pay for missing work is something I can't afford. I want to be able to buy groceries, so shut up.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I heart bacon posted:

Can't afford it. I have no health insurance, and even when I did the copays were way above my pay grade. Also losing out on pay for missing work is something I can't afford. I want to be able to buy groceries, so shut up.

Goddamn America is a garbage country.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Midig posted:

Food recipes found online.

This is easy food you can make at home:

1. Buy 5 billion items, most of them in small quantities, half of them being wares you cannot realistically use up before expiration
2. Spend 2-3 hours making the food because you gotta prep half of it beforehand
3. Give up and buy pizza

Seriously, Indian/Pakistani food is the worst at this and I cannot air out the smell (although it is really good:D) at winter.

Online recipes are my loving bane. Most of them are overly complex, use unnecessary ingredients, and are basically inedible when all is said and done. Rating systems are the worst, too. Most people will rate highly just because a recipe looks good, or rate bad because it's not vegetarian or because they made a bunch of substitutions and it tasted like poo poo. My favorite baked mac and cheese recipe has a bunch of bad ratings because it's over 1000 calories per serving. It's baked mac and cheese! gently caress you!

*My* pet peeve for the day, however, are online cocktail recipes. My problem with these are usually one of the following:

1. It tastes awful. People really love to concoct and post recipes before they ever drink them. The most common culprit is way too much lemon juice. It's not lemonade, stop using it like lemonade!

2. The alcohol ratio is all off. This is especially common with mommy blog cocktails that look fantastic but don't have enough booze to give a hamster a decent buzz. 1/4 cup of vodka sounds like a lot, but split between 4 frozen peach lemonades it's downright homeopathic.

3. Alcoholic popsicles. Not loving worth your time. The volume of liquid going into a popsicle is already relatively small and making them with an ABV above a worthwhile point makes them freeze all weird. You wouldn't know it, though, by how often these recipes get passed around in the summer time. If you're going to throw a fancy pintrest garden party, just do normal adult cocktails with non alcoholic popsicles.

4. It uses a bunch of obscure alcohols or mixers. Kudos to you for inventing a cocktail that uses Midori, Fernet Branca, caramel liqueur, and Orbitz soda but lmao if you think anyone is going to drop $100 just to try it.

5. Dumb loving garnishes. I'm not threading sprigs of rosemary through individual cranberries to place atop my mimosas and gently caress you for insinuating that I should

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

I heart bacon posted:

Even if we do find ourselves some health insurance, we might not have paid sick days, so there's another factor. :patriot:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Even if we do find ourselves some health insurance, we might not have paid sick days, so there's another factor. :patriot:

I've worked at places where you'd have to dip into your total PTO, so that took time away from what could be used for a vacation. Oh awesome! I have 2 weeks vacation, I mean 2 weeks worth of hours to use for doctor visits or anything else that conflicts with my working hours. No, it's cool, I didn't feel like doing anything fun with that time to destress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I heart bacon posted:

I've worked at places where you'd have to dip into your total PTO, so that took time away from what could be used for a vacation. Oh awesome! I have 2 weeks vacation, I mean 2 weeks worth of hours to use for doctor visits or anything else that conflicts with my working hours. No, it's cool, I didn't feel like doing anything fun with that time to destress.

This is America, the only accepted sources of enjoyment are from approved sports ball games and church.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that's mildly annoying is when there's some sort of two-for-one offer on movies or music in shops and there's only one thing you're really interested in and you end up wandering around trying to pick out something to complete the offer. I'm incapable of resisting bargains like that. I have avaricious personality.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When as far as I can tell, my toddler is absolutely, blissfully napping, then two minutes later wakes up like a bomb went off. It's been minutes! How does anyone wake up like that after just a few minutes of sleep? Why won't you go back to sleep? Why can't I just get some chores done?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I just did the classic "You too" to a guy at the ticket counter of a movie theater and goddammit they do that poo poo on purpose. I'm only here to eat popcorn flavored butter soup, please stop making this socially awkward.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that's mildly annoying is when there's some sort of two-for-one offer on movies or music in shops and there's only one thing you're really interested in and you end up wandering around trying to pick out something to complete the offer. I'm incapable of resisting bargains like that. I have avaricious personality.

I hate at stores when they do buy one get one free deals but when you get to the register they either ring up at full price and the second one as free, as you'd expect, or sometimes they just ring up as half price. When the latter happens usually I'm like I didn't actually want two of them, I thought I had to to get a deal. I'm still saving the same amount of money but I feel bamboozled afterward.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Costco sells their gigantic muffins in 6 packs but the price is for 2 packs of 6. If you buy just one, you're paying for 12.

And they only last 72 hours.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

I just did the classic "You too" to a guy at the ticket counter of a movie theater and goddammit they do that poo poo on purpose. I'm only here to eat popcorn flavored butter soup, please stop making this socially awkward.

Happens to me whenever I go to kwik trip. They always finish with "Thank you. Have a nice day!" and way too quickly followup with "Come again." as I'm trying to say "Thank you, you too!".

So instead of
Cashier: "Thank you. Have a nice day"
Me: "Thanks! You too!"
Cashier: "Come again."

We have
Cashier: "Thank you. Have a nice day"
Cashier: "Come again."
Me: "Thanks! You too!"
Me: :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate at stores when they do buy one get one free deals but when you get to the register they either ring up at full price and the second one as free, as you'd expect, or sometimes they just ring up as half price. When the latter happens usually I'm like I didn't actually want two of them, I thought I had to to get a deal. I'm still saving the same amount of money but I feel bamboozled afterward.
So put one back. You say to the person at the checkout "Oh, are these actually half price? I thought you had to buy two to get the deal. I'll just put this one back then."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

So put one back. You say to the person at the checkout "Oh, are these actually half price? I thought you had to buy two to get the deal. I'll just put this one back then."

I am too easy going for my own good (in real life, online i am much more ornery). When it happens I'm like "yeah I don't want this if I don't need it to activate Savings, but is it worth the effort vocalizing it? nah, gently caress it, i'll just put it in the freezer". Basically my reaction to every external suggestion even if it against my own interests is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Apa-eWCus

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Costco sells their gigantic muffins in 6 packs but the price is for 2 packs of 6. If you buy just one, you're paying for 12.

They freeze like champs. Wrap them in the three thousand miles of plastic wrap you also bought at Costco, freeze, thaw them over night and toast lightly in the morning. My housemate that works at Costco practically pays the rent in frozen muffins and pizza.

Ughhhhh. I do that poo poo too! "I can't come again I work here!" Every loving time I go in, guy has to say that back to me.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Same with the bagels.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

To me it's the coupons I get in the mail from fast food places (two for one, buy one get the second at half price). I'm not going to have two whoppers or two large orders of fries for lunch. What good are they?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People with friends

:(

Also, the main guy in The Last Kingdom is supposed to be smoking considering how all the ladies swoon for him, but he looks like a hosed up lovechild of Pirates-era Orlando Bloom and the main dude from the Witcher.

Sometimes sexy actors can pull of the ratty pube beard but this guy cannot.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Dec 21, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MightyJoe36 posted:

To me it's the coupons I get in the mail from fast food places (two for one, buy one get the second at half price). I'm not going to have two whoppers or two large orders of fries for lunch. What good are they?

You definitely won't have them with that attitude. Embrace the inner goon, and let your arteries solidify!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When you make a thread on a forum to ask for help and they completely misunderstood the question. Especially annoying if you have a 12 hour radio silence.

Midig has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Dec 21, 2018

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sometimes sexy actors can pull of the ratty pube beard but this guy cannot.

The worst ratty pube beard I have ever seen in a serious role is the doctor in the first episode of the YouTube show Impulse. It seriously looks like Team America level valmoriphication gone wrong.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Customers around Christmas.

Yes, lady, you'll have to wait for me to get a free minute to do your poo poo. It's not my fault you waited this long to get calendars made. It's even less my fault that you hosed up your order, so back off on your attitude.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Customers around Christmas.

Yes, lady, you'll have to wait for me to get a free minute to do your poo poo. It's not my fault you waited this long to get calendars made. It's even less my fault that you hosed up your order, so back off on your attitude.

see also: customers that respond to "would you like to donate a dollar to (charity)?" with "well why don't they donate a dollar to me?" like, chill, edgelord, you can just say "not today, thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The should pay people to sort and clean recycling.

Draconian policies on what recycling will be taken just result in more littering.

Like, for every bin left full on the curb with a “you did this wrong try again!”, one will be resorted/cleaned for every five that end up spread over the street. And say, metal and plastic are in the same bin we all know it’s getting sorted by professionals anyway.