Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

apparently republican voters don't actually get that the 2018 elections went against them

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/1075804288310538240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
When I was a kid, my grandpa randomly bought a little boy mannequin from a store that was going out of business, set him up in the guest bedroom, and told my brothers, cousins and I that it was his new son, Tadeusz Jr, and he loved it more than us. To which we responded by drawing on it with markers, giving it an awful haircut, throwing it down the stairs, etc. We thought it was just grandpa being weird, but a few times I looked over at him while we were abusing the thing, and he looked genuinely sad, which made me feel bad.

A few months later, he had the major stroke which put him in a nursing home for the rest of his life, and the doctors told the family he'd probably had a series of small, almost imperceptible ones over the year or so before, which went quite a ways towards explaining Tadeusz Jr.

What I'm saying is I kind of wonder if Trump's adopted a mannequin-son yet

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1075806389791019009

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If they got Bolton on board they might.

Hahaha, this will happen when wyrmwood descends from the stars and the angels begin to sounds their trumpets.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

apparently republican voters don't actually get that the 2018 elections went against them

Just like how they thought all of the polling was fake news hiding the Red Wave.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

:yeshaha:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Squalid posted:

Good lord the Democratic leadership are voluntarily working with the American Enterprise Institute? Why don't they just go ahead and invite Heritage along with them to the right-wing indoctrination party?

I hear Heritage has some ideas to preserve and protect the ACA.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/1075807991709032451

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Does anyone know where this 'metal slats' thing came from? I mean, how did Trump's brainspiders absorb it? A fascist architect on Fox or something?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just like how they thought all of the polling was fake news hiding the Red Wave.

Oh well, they can keep thinking that right up until they lose the White House in 2020, too. I'm sure they'll keep blaming those dastardly illegal immigrant votes that don't exist though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mia Love continues to show me no love.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

Does anyone know where this 'metal slats' thing came from? I mean, how did Trump's brainspiders absorb it? A fascist architect on Fox or something?

It's what is presently used for border fence, so he can claim victory by virtue of it being there.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Good.

In all honesty, all their media outlets (and Trump) talked about was Senate seats and Florida victories, so if you apply that filter, you can see why they'd think they came out ahead. They don't report the bad news because that demotivates an already dwindling base they desperately need.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

senior "appointed" officials recommended no recusal - you don't say

somehow i feel like that distinction matters

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075806101428465665
https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075806103122907136

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Eh, I think he's just pitching a little fit because he saw the media saying he caved. He'll still cave, but now it won't feel as bad if he made everybody panic some.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is bizarre, i don't even know what would explain this at this point

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075808047887540225

maybe whitaker realized that getting charged with obstruction will hurt his dreams of a federal judicial appointment

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Crow Jane posted:

When I was a kid, my grandpa randomly bought a little boy mannequin from a store that was going out of business, set him up in the guest bedroom, and told my brothers, cousins and I that it was his new son, Tadeusz Jr, and he loved it more than us. To which we responded by drawing on it with markers, giving it an awful haircut, throwing it down the stairs, etc. We thought it was just grandpa being weird, but a few times I looked over at him while we were abusing the thing, and he looked genuinely sad, which made me feel bad.

A few months later, he had the major stroke which put him in a nursing home for the rest of his life, and the doctors told the family he'd probably had a series of small, almost imperceptible ones over the year or so before, which went quite a ways towards explaining Tadeusz Jr.

Isn't that what Eric is there for?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Eh, I think he's just pitching a little fit because he saw the media saying he caved. He'll still cave, but now it won't feel as bad if he made everybody panic some.

"I am Signing this Continuing Resolution because I WANT to, not because Everyone is telling me to! Dems want open Boarders and more crime, we must DO SOMETHING!"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cool cool

https://twitter.com/arielkaminer/status/1075810868619866112

reminder than leopold and cormier have been the most-right of all journalists covering this, repeatedly breaking huge stories months before anyone else

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crow Jane posted:

What the gently caress

What did Tadeusz Jr ever do to you, you horrible children

I'm totally with grandpa on this one

no wonder he wanted new, kinder children

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh you can rig a public draw. I've personally done so

Watch the DNC get David Stern to draw the envelopes

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

eke out posted:

cool cool

reminder than leopold and cormier have been the most-right of all journalists covering this, repeatedly breaking huge stories months before anyone else

Holy moly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FinCEN potentially breached by Gmail attachments from Russian state actors, good god

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Everyone crying about us withdrawing from Syria: source your quotes please.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

FinCEN potentially breached by Gmail attachments from Russian state actors, good god

i'm still reading this story but it's HUGE

it's much more than just about Clinton - that's only a minor element of it. they describe multiple FinCEN people suspected of being compromised and huge security breaches

it's based on the whistleblower that gave them a ton of data and is indicted, but they now have multiple other fincen whistleblowers talking to them, describing an entire hosed up culture that no one has fixed despite repeated reports. and it goes back to the Obama admin, not just trump

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ZypherIM posted:

Isn't that what Eric is there for?

I think Tadeusz Jr was more animated than Eric

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What the gently caress

No joke, to this day I'll randomly remember it sometimes and feel really guilty

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

eke out posted:

cool cool

What the gently caress

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

apparently while lots of republicans aren't present, a lot of dems aren't as well so they'd need to be pulled back to defeat a bill that had a wall

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1075813483445403649

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

apparently while lots of republicans aren't present, a lot of dems aren't as well so they'd need to be pulled back to defeat a bill that had a wall

I dunno; I think Dems might be more amenable to coming back if it meant a chance to tell Trump to shove it up his bloated orange rear end.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

even assuming this happened, isn't it too late for the senate to pass a separate bill before the shutdown at midnight tomorrow? (not to mention the obvious filibuster that would immediately block it)

i thought we were basically at the stage where the house needs to approve the clean bill or a CR that've already passed, and can't really gently caress with it significantly to the point that it requires a conference committee and new votes without shutting the government down

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

even assuming this happened, isn't it too late for the senate to pass a separate bill before the shutdown at midnight tomorrow? (not to mention the obvious filibuster that would immediately block it)

i thought we were basically at the stage where the house needs to approve the clean bill or a CR that've already passed, and can't really gently caress with it significantly to the point that it requires a conference committee and new votes without shutting the government down

Oh goddammit we really are just that incompetent aren't we

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh goddammit we really are just that incompetent aren't we

Let's Run This Shut Into The Down

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

i haven't done the math but i have the sense that a 20 foot tall steel slat fence running for 2,000 miles has some sort of problems in the amount of yearly steel output that would be needed

Napkin math says a 2in by 2in by 20ft steel bar placed every 10 inches for 2000 miles would take about 2.7bil pounds of steel. The world produced 1.7bil roughly in 2017.

Showing my work - one cu inch of steel weighs .283lbs. A 2”x2”x20’ steel bar would be 960 cu inches. So 272lbs per rod multiplied by 10.56m feet in 2000 miles. Someone tell me I am wrong the world can’t be this dumb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Crow Jane posted:

I think Tadeusz Jr was more animated than Eric

No joke, to this day I'll randomly remember it sometimes and feel really guilty

We have all done things we regret. I cut the whiskers off of a stuffed animal seal I had as a child, just to see if they would grow back. They of course never did, and from time to time the shorn seal would stare at me, accusingly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Napkin math says a 2in by 2in by 20ft steel bar placed every 10 inches for 2000 miles would take about 2.7bil pounds of steel. The world produced 1.7bil roughly in 2017.

Showing my work - one cu inch of steel weighs .283lbs. A 2”x2”x20’ steel bar would be 960 cu inches. So 272lbs per rod multiplied by 10.56m feet in 2000 miles. Someone tell me I am wrong the world can’t be this dumb.

UPSOL Winter: someone tell me I am wrong the world can't be this dumb

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress

Yes. Most children respond well when a grandparent tells them that they love other relatives more.

Also, I would have thought it was a joke and done the same thing.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

skylined! posted:

I can't imagine he would be happy with a 2inch x 2inch bar, every ten inches. I was figuring more like 6 inches deep, 1 foot wide, with 1-2 inch gaps.

I can't believe that I'm thinking about this at all.

Also, for some reason I thought the House had already voted on the CR and it was just waiting for his signature. This is incredible.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Brony Car posted:

Yes. Most children respond well when a grandparent tells them that they love other relatives more.

Also, I would have thought it was a joke and done the same thing.

I don't think you're as good at spotting jokes as you think.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

And even if all that happened, are there 50 votes in the Senate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Honestly, what political price could Republicans possibly face for a shutdown? The base doesn't care, and swing voters are way too stupid to take this into account two years from now. It didn't hurt them when they did it in 2013.