Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Who could possibly have foreseen this tweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
The part I'm smiling about (in addition to everything else) is that Trump signed the Executive Order yesterday granting Federal employees Christmas Eve off, and I work for a section of the government that's already funded, so we got the email saying "pay no mind to a shutdown, just keep working." Glad Trump decided to have a tantrum after giving me a free holiday!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Could Whitaker shut down the Mueller investigation, then step down and bring in another AG? Would there be anything preventing that other than optics?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

They are going to get you anyways. Might as well at least enjoy the advances

The rolls of tinfoil I bought to wrap around antenna poo poo to create Faraday cages say otherwise. :tinfoil:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Is Trump endorsing ISIS?

Remember when you completely debased yourself for this dude, Lindsey? You knew he was a snake when you took him in

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Behold what all your bootlicking got you, Senator Graham!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

And what exactly do we have to base that argument on? What past behavior have Dems showed that proved they won't blink here?

why is it, in your head, that we are at the tail end of this congressional session with no wall money, mitch mcconnell and paul ryan just tried to pass a CR with no wall money, and everyone with an ounce of strategy sense in the republican party convinced trump to sign that CR (though obviously, that didn't take)

is it that none of those republicans realized this obvious truth that democrats always cave when republicans try to force a shutdown to get policy concessions they can't get otherwise, despite it literally never happening before?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Spun Dog posted:

Remember the big republican health care reveal that was basically just a pamphlet with some clip art?

Remember the dem response?
"Don't get sick"
"Get sick, go die"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Saudi Arabia just announced a massive budget for oil production next year. Coupled with the heart attack that the Dow is currently experiencing, oil prices just took a huge hit.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

SocketWrench posted:

Remember the dem response?
"Don't get sick"
"Get sick, go die"

No, I don't remember that at all.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh look. The scorpion stung the dumb frog from South Carolina again

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Of course, no matter what nonsense Trump spews, there's always going to be some media pundit who'll say it "plays well with his base":

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1075834342058934278

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1075824515337412611

How long until Trump starts calling Pelosi "Negative Nancy"?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Of course, no matter what nonsense Trump spews, there's always going to be some media pundit who'll say it "plays well with his base":

Maggie Haberman Threat Level: Mildly Concerned

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kammat posted:

Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

Looks pretty unyielding and manly to me

Kale
May 14, 2010

The picture CNN is using for the "looming shutdown" story of Trump folding his arms and making a pouty face like a big baby is next to godliness. Like all the thoughts going through my mind about it. How did they get that photo? Did he pose for it? Did he think it makes him look tough and not like they need to get him a bib or something?

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1075824515337412611

How long until Trump starts calling Pelosi "Negative Nancy"?

Steve scalice doesn't have the balls to stand up to Trump. I'm shocked.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kammat posted:

Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

That's a face that says "I poo poo myself and I am now grinding my fat rear end around in the poo poo so as to smear it all over my rear end, my underoos, and my pants."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Uh, because ISIS is everyone's enemy?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1075836055922896897

matt fuller has repeatedly proven he's better at counting votes than house republican leadership, so i trust his skepticism that even this passing the house is possible

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

basically ryan talked tons about math and showed people tons of pages of math and people were like "he must understand math"

and then someone looked through the math and, whoops

"Mr. Speaker, we keep seeing the number 80085 in here, can you please explain?"

lmao all that brown-nosing and he still gets slapped with a newspaper.

Your Taint posted:

And what exactly do we have to base that argument on? What past behavior have Dems showed that proved they won't blink here?

There's nothing for them to blink at. What the Senate has already signed off on is the only thing that has a prayer of passing because most of the Senate has already gone home.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kammat posted:

Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

That's the face of a man regretting the fact that he skipped his Metamucil for a few days

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mdemone posted:

how are you going to ensure their vote submission isn't hijacked, either actively (by a middle-man intruder) or passively (if the member allows their staff to vote for them).

Videoconference with roll call, using standard equipment connected over a VPN.

It would be quite doable in a secure manner, but do you think Congress is ever going to voluntarily put themselves on call for votes?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SocketWrench posted:

Uh, because ISIS is everyone's enemy?

I thought Trump defeated ISIS yesterday?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Star Man posted:

How many times is it going to take before people realize that don't mean poo poo when a Republican does that?

The great thing about being in the party that doesn't believe in government is that the more you screw up, the more your voters like you because you're proving them right.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

DaveWoo posted:

tbf literally anything that comes out of Trump's mouth "plays well with his base"

They'll just go along with whatever he says and declare that it's true.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

why is it a feature and not a bug in the yool 2018 with telecom tech that allows basically real time voting from anywhere on earth our public servants still need to be in a specific physical building to vote?

theoretically you could argue that the structure of the constitution mandates in-person votes via the quorum clause. in practice, because legislatures tend to be very traditional and resistant to change, especially the Senate

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kale posted:

The picture CNN is using for the "looming shutdown" story of Trump folding his arms and making a pouty face like a big baby is next to godliness. Like all the thoughts going through my mind about it. How did they get that photo? Did he pose for it? Did he think it makes him look tough and not like they need to get him a bib or something?

I think they used it on purpose.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

tbf literally anything that comes out of Trump's mouth "plays well with his base"

They'll just go along with whatever he says and declare that it's true.

today we're finding "fine, no wall" doesn't :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Spun Dog posted:

No, I don't remember that at all.

One of the dems set up a response in satire which pretty much washed the rep plan down to it's core points

Propaganda Hour posted:

I thought Trump defeated ISIS yesterday?

He did, this is New ISIS. It's like New Coke. Then we'll go back to ISIS Classic

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DevlinBarrett/status/1075385327492182018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kammat posted:

Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

I will not go to swim practice. You can't make me. I'm building a wall!!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mike Pence must have been in the building and thinking of horses.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It just occurred to me that the president probably has hemorrhoids like a motherfucker. Good.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kammat posted:

Look at this face.

Look at this loving face

That is the face of a five year old being told he can't have the toy he wanted

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

:laffo: Trump and the GOP are gonna be known as the party that stopped working class federal employee pay the week before Christmas that’s gonna be some loving fantastic optics there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:laffo: Trump and the GOP are gonna be known as the party that stopped working class federal employee pay the week before Christmas that’s gonna be some loving fantastic optics there

not ALL federal employees, just everyone at DHS

a merry christmas to ICE, thanks to donald trump we can say that again

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

It just occurred to me that the president probably has hemorrhoids like a motherfucker. Good.

I pity the person who has to wash his skivvies. Good lord. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And nothing Chuck Schumer has said so far has even remotely indicated he's willing to agree to any kind of deal that includes a penny for that loving wall. If he does an about face, I'm more than happy to eat crow--but he and Pelosi are just having fun watching the Republicans repeatedly punch themselves in the crotch.

This seems a bit like Schumer twisting the knife over the whole "I offered money for your wall if you'd have protected the DREAMers but you rejected that so gently caress you"