Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also now that I'm done writing those I can relax and actually enjoy the holiday. God be with us all this holiday and in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm also finally getting over the anxiety provoked by the final exams I have taken, and haven't yet begun to fuss over the next ones I have to take, which means my head is settling in just in time for the pagan yuletide and new years in two days :black101:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

You're a good person, even if you're made of liquid unamericanism. :v:

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 19, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/arts/music/review-ensemble-correspondances-charpentier-christmas.html

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Night10194 posted:

My old professors just finished sending my last few letters of rec and the trial of application times is over now. Thank you all for your support. Knowing someone is praying for you really does help with the anxiety.

I'm in a similar boat. I've applied to my English Ph.D. programs, still need to do the History ones (which have much later deadlines for some reason, even across schools), while also preparing for my one actual sit-down final exam, and according to an email I got from Themis I was supposed to have started my bar exam prep two days ago, for the test in February. And then I'm taking the GRE in March.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months. I've wanted to be a professor for almost a decade, though, it's just that ironically it took going to law school to develop the connections where it actually made sense to try.

And if I don't get in then there's always the original plan of public interest lawyering, but if law school has taught me anything it's that the way we teach and understand law needs to change dramatically, and I honestly think I can do more good that way than in direct practice.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I've applied to my English Ph.D. programs, still need to do the History ones (which have much later deadlines for some reason, even across schools), while also preparing for my one actual sit-down final exam, and according to an email I got from Themis I was supposed to have started my bar exam prep two days ago, for the test in February. And then I'm taking the GRE in March.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months. I've wanted to be a professor for almost a decade, though, it's just that ironically it took going to law school to develop the connections where it actually made sense to try.

And if I don't get in then there's always the original plan of public interest lawyering, but if law school has taught me anything it's that the way we teach and understand law needs to change dramatically, and I honestly think I can do more good that way than in direct practice.

I'll be wishing you the best of luck, in addition to keeping you in my prayers. It is always a good thing to seek to teach others.

My career path was frustrated by my total inability to learn ancient Greek. I love biblical studies and the ancient world so much but I just can't handle the language necessary for studying them at the highest level. But you know, Systemic Theology will be interesting, too, and I know I can learn what I need for it. Plus, two of the top programs I'm hoping to enter would put me right next to family and move me into the same city as my best friend of many years, so that's a bonus, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Night10194 posted:

I'll be wishing you the best of luck, in addition to keeping you in my prayers. It is always a good thing to seek to teach others.

My career path was frustrated by my total inability to learn ancient Greek. I love biblical studies and the ancient world so much but I just can't handle the language necessary for studying them at the highest level. But you know, Systemic Theology will be interesting, too, and I know I can learn what I need for it. Plus, two of the top programs I'm hoping to enter would put me right next to family and move me into the same city as my best friend of many years, so that's a bonus, too.

Systemic Theology?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Systematic Theology. Gah. Broad background in Christian theology and thought, that sort of thing.

I've been typing too much the last couple weeks and I keep making dumb typos.

It's also weird to me to occasionally sit back and realize I know more about ancient Jewish thought from millennia ago than I do about the major thinkers of my own religion.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Just to give this thread a quick update, my uncle is doing much better and getting ready to leave the hospital!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Just to give this thread a quick update, my uncle is doing much better and getting ready to leave the hospital!

Wonderful news!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Magnus Praeda posted:

Hooray!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, is anyone here familiar with Kevin J. Madigan's book Medieval Christianity? I ran into it recently and I’m interested, but I’d like to know if it's any good before I spend the Audible credit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A(n older) friend's eldest son was killed in a motorcycle wreck a couple days ago.

Prayers for him and his family would probably not go amiss.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

recipes!?

also how you doing? we're here for you

I'm trying to take on as much extra work as possible, to keep my mind occupied. It's probably not a healthy coping strategy, but it is where I am at the moment.

Recipe for my favourite biscuits:
500 grams butter. Use real butter, not margarine or other substitutes.
500 grams white sugar
4 eggs
600 grams plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
A few drops of vanilla essence
the juice and grated peel of 2 lemons
the juice and peel of 1 orange
300 grams chopped nuts, Granny used almonds, I use a mix of almonds, macadamia, pistachios, and walnuts. OK, about half are pistachios in my version. Do NOT use cashews!!!

First, whisk room temperature butter and sugar until it is light, airy and pale whiteish. Add one egg at the time, keep whisking. Add the flour and baking powder carefully. Add the juice and peel. Mix well. add the chopped nuts one handful at the time. By now you have a sticky mess on your hands. Pour this on a sheet of baking paper. Roll it up and twist the ends of the "paper sausage". you want a TIGHT roll. Put it in your fridge over night. remove the paper and cut the more or less frozen dough in 1 cm slices. Bake at 175 Celsius, for 10-15 minutes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
why no cashews?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Freudian posted:

Got some sad news today - the oldest member of our congregation, and one of our founding members, died last night in her sleep. She was 95, and grew up as a Jewish lesbian in Dusseldorf in the 1930s. She was hardcore as hell, and advocated relentlessly for refugees and for LGBT Jews. She was still sharp as an axe right up to the end - she was teaching me Hebrew not six months ago. זיכרונה לברכה - may her memory be a blessing.

Digging this up from a while back.

After the Pittsburgh murders there were a lot of Jews on my twitter feed posting prayers for the dead, and it made me realise just how little I actually know about Jewish practice. Are these prayers for the soul of the dead? Are they optional commemoration or necessary ritual? Are they only for Jews, or can they be said by or for anyone? Any information you have on this would be interesting.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Prayers for him and his family would probably not go amiss.

On it.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

why no cashews?

Cashews are too oily. They don't mix well in the dough, but end up as little pools of fat and make the biscuit fall apart.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solstice is coming up, and it's time for me to listen to strings and be weepy. Asides from inflicting it on you, it's never really too early for musichat :allears:

For you christians, the Cherry Tree Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFxQjWK44I. It moves the butt closer to the divine

And a true oldie, here by David E. Edwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vdlo2X2ug

As well as some heathen strings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcQA-RZ4AQ

Can't wait for solstice! :dance:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

do you like a crisp cookie? my go to is thus:

Base dough:

225g butter
300g all purpose flour
150g white sugar
150g brown sugar
2 egg yolks, do what you will with the whites but don't put them in this batter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter

Whip the yolks. Add the butter to the yolks and keep mixing. Add the sugar and any spices to the butter/yolks and mix until smooth.

Dump any nuts, chocolate chips or other mix-ins onto the flour, don't stir them in, and pour all the butter/sugar over that, and then fold together until a little bit before you think you should be done. The addins will carry more air into the finished dough that way.

You should have something around the consistency of refrigerated store bought cookie dough depending on how much the butter cooled down.

Spoon onto parchment paper on an airbake tray, bake at 325°F for 13 minutes.

Good adjunct combos:

~300g Crushed butterfinger bars

~300g mini bittersweet chcolate chips

~300g crushed Andes mints AND 2 lemons' worth of zest added at the butter stage

~100g chopped pecans AND 2tsp cinnamon, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp nutmeg, 0.5 tsp ground clove

I really want to make this work with lime zest and coconut but haven't been able to find a way to keep the coconut from sucking all the moisture up.

Waiting about an hour between final assembly and baking gives all the spice flavors more time to absorb into the butter and diffuse throughout the crumb. Sounds silly, makes a HUGE difference.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 20, 2018

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey goons,

I wanted to say a thing about religion that was super bitchy, but I don't actually want to, it was really bitchy. Just carry on. Atheist dudes too.

You do know that atheists are really into religion, right? They're super obsessed with it.

Those poor, poor people.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 19, 2019

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

pidan posted:

My mom was planning to visit a relative who lives near me over Christmas and I'd have visited there too. Now she doesn't want to go after all and thinks I should visit her instead. Do I need to do that? Can I just go traveling instead?

Christmas is a cancer

You don’t have to.

Edit: You are not bound to anyone’s expectation or obligated to make others happy. You are not responsible for other’s emotions or desires. You are free to use your good judgment and choose how you see fit.

Especially if your mother backed out and she was your only reason for going.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 20, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So if I am cooking with a sugar substitute, how do I mimic the half-white-sugar-half-brown-sugar thing?

ThePopeOfFun posted:

You don’t have to.

Edit: You are not bound to anyone’s expectation or obligated to make others happy. You are not responsible for other’s emotions or desires. You are free to use your good judgment and choose how you see fit.

Especially if your mother backed out and she was your only reason for going.
pidan's mom is mentally unstable which has been causing pidan some stress, she's mentioned it here before. The holidays make that extra :yikes:

pidan, do what you have to do for your own emotional well-being

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 20, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IronClaymore posted:

Hey goons,

I wanted to say a thing about religion that was super bitchy, but I don't actually want to, it was really bitchy. Just carry on. Atheist dudes too.

You do know that atheists are really into religion, right? They're super obsessed with it.

Those poor, poor people.
now that you're here, feel like hanging out? it's apparently cookie chat time

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 19, 2019

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

pidan's mom is mentally unstable which has been causing pidan some stress, she's mentioned it here before. The holidays make that extra :yikes:

pidan, do what you have to do for your own emotional well-being

pidan posted:

Thank you Hegel and pope of fun, I probably won't go, or only go to my other relative. It's a difficult situation. If you have a good family, be happy!

Didn’t know this about your mother, Pidan. That’s difficult. I wish I would have phrased more softly. Warm cheer to you and yours.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

So if I am cooking with a sugar substitute, how do I mimic the half-white-sugar-half-brown-sugar thing?

Hmm you might add a small amount of molasses to mimic the brown sugar taste. The brown sugar is just a flavor thing, make the dough, add molasses to taste.

edit: you probably want to get dark molasses, some googling suggests a common substitution is one tablespoon molasses per cup of sugar equivalent. You can always add more or less depending on how much you like the taste of molasses. There is some sugar in molasses but given the small amount you're using it'll be pretty negligible overall.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 21, 2018

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

pidan posted:

My mom was planning to visit a relative who lives near me over Christmas and I'd have visited there too. Now she doesn't want to go after all and thinks I should visit her instead. Do I need to do that? Can I just go traveling instead?

Christmas is a cancer

You can choose not to attend, but it would be polite to send the relative a Christmas card or small thoughtful gift, with an attached note that you wish you could have made it there but unfortunately everything was too in flux.

That's what I'd do, anyway, if I chose not to make it out there. You are not required to attend.

An alternative: just show up for lunch.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Just Lapsed Catholic Things, I guess. Thanks for the thread, all. I'm dealing with Some poo poo right now and it's been a help.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Jedi425 posted:

Just Lapsed Catholic Things, I guess. Thanks for the thread, all. I'm dealing with Some poo poo right now and it's been a help.

I laughed so hard that I had to explain the whole thing to the kids. :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Hmm you might add a small amount of molasses to mimic the brown sugar taste. The brown sugar is just a flavor thing, make the dough, add molasses to taste.

edit: you probably want to get dark molasses, some googling suggests a common substitution is one tablespoon molasses per cup of sugar equivalent. You can always add more or less depending on how much you like the taste of molasses. There is some sugar in molasses but given the small amount you're using it'll be pretty negligible overall.

Brown molasses is an excellent sub for brown sugar, but molasses is more or less pure sugar, which seems to go against the "replace sugar thing".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Brown molasses is an excellent sub for brown sugar, but molasses is more or less pure sugar, which seems to go against the "replace sugar thing".
But a single spoonful is less sugar than a cup of brown sugar. Mostly sugar-substitute and some sugar is still less sugar.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh word, I didn't mean to imply anyone should eat less sugar, I just thought you were doing a recipe completely without

Relatedly, I just hunted through all of copenhagen for potash and salt of hart's horn for my mother's brown cookies. Got only potash, I guess all the moms got there first :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

Thank you Hegel and pope of fun, I probably won't go, or only go to my other relative. It's a difficult situation. If you have a good family, be happy!
Both of my parents love me, just not each other. Family can be hard.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
glormp
https://i.imgur.com/74rUNva.mp4

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 28, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solstice blót tonight! I shall make offerings to the gods, wish for the return of light, and perhaps also do a night vigil! Looking forward to turning things a little around.

Do christians do anything for the winter solstice?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tias posted:

Do christians do anything for the winter solstice?

Yes, the holy day of Christ Mass.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Certainly, but is that the 21st? Not here in Denmark at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 19, 2019