Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it was pretty drat good and faster paced and that mattered a lot more for an ms paint gag comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I think the Murata version builds up threats a lot better, which makes the inevitable one punches even more glorious, so it's a gain in my book. Plus, you can always enjoy the original for it's pacing and have it both ways. There's literally no downside. Also, there's the anime if you really want great comedic timing. Three ways!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

graham cracker posted:

I think the Murata version builds up threats a lot better, which makes the inevitable one punches even more glorious, so it's a gain in my book.

Building up the threats of character who get defeated in one-punch makes sense.

Building up the threats of characters who had previously been defeated in between panels, like Phoenix Man and the two ninja monsters, and extending their fights to ten-fifteen page affairs, makes slightly less sense.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 20, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Schwarzwald posted:

Building up the threats of character who get defeated in one-punch makes sense.

Building up the threats of characters who had previously been defeated in between panels, like Phoenix Man and the two ninja monsters, and extending their fights to ten-fifteen page affairs, makes slightly less sense.

All of these monsters getting built up are being defeated by S-Class heroes, so when some boss monster comes around and beats all the S-Class heroes, it sets up Saitama's one punch better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hellsau posted:

All of these monsters getting built up are being defeated by S-Class heroes, so when some boss monster comes around and beats all the S-Class heroes, it sets up Saitama's one punch better.

The S-Class heroes are only winning by the skin of their teeth against such monster luminaries as "the guy who couldn't rough it on PBS" and "the second string loser ninjas." Saitama's astonishing victory ain't that astonishing if everyone that should be setting him up comes across as just a chump with good vfx.

Forget comparing this manga to the webcomic: compare this manga to this manga twelve volumes ago. The whole Sea King arc puts this to shame.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

S-Class Hero: *Encounters Disaster level Dragon tier monster*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFXOJ1mkKtI

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The S-Class heroes are only winning by the skin of their teeth against such monster luminaries as "the guy who couldn't rough it on PBS" and "the second string loser ninjas." Saitama's astonishing victory ain't that astonishing if everyone that should be setting him up comes across as just a chump with good vfx.

Forget comparing this manga to the webcomic: compare this manga to this manga twelve volumes ago. The whole Sea King arc puts this to shame.

Except that Flashy Flash styled all over the other ninjas. The ending of that fight was them going "...we were screwed from the start, weren't we?" and him going "Yep. Just kept it going longer since one of you might have run away otherwise, and that would have been really inconvenient."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

i do think child emperor is struggling too much, compared to flashy flash.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

i do think child emperor is struggling too much, compared to flashy flash.

He does rely on equipment just a step below Bofoy so I can believe it. Kid's got barely any strength of his own.

Anyway, this'll all be null and void when King finally calls Mumen Rider to save the day at its most dire.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

He does rely on equipment just a step below Bofoy so I can believe it. Kid's got barely any strength of his own.

Anyway, this'll all be null and void when King finally calls Mumen Rider to save the day at its most dire.

C'mon man. Mumen Rider isn't needed, King will fire up the King engine and run all over the enemies! In King we trust!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

C'mon man. Mumen Rider isn't needed, King will fire up the King engine and run all over the enemies! In King we trust!

King's overlord eyebeams would solve everything but would that really be as satisfying as any encounter we've had with Mumen Rider so far?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

He's apparently roughly as strong as a grizzly bear on his own if I remember correctly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

while establishing a villain with lots of buildup is important storywise, we've been too long without saitama and it's at the point where you wonder if they're actually building up to a joke or not

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
To Child Emperor's credit he's also been fighting one handed / protecting the brat a bunch. Also it's been made clear that he really didn't want to use his fancy robot at all but that this is what caused Phoenix Man to get so strong in the first place - probably once the fight is over he'll lament not taking potential cadre members more seriously from he get go.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Even if Child Emperor has inferior combat skills compared to a Flashy Flash (though he is fighting at a handicap, like has been pointed out), he also has a lot of logistical and support capabilities due to his arsenal of gadgets and his intellect. That's why he was able to get to the hostage.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The people complaining about the fights in OPM, literally the best fight action in any manga, have severe brain problems

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Schwarzwald posted:

Flashy Flash deliberately prolonged his fight to ensure he could kill both ninjas at once, because if he killed one and the other got away, he thought that all the other S-Class heroes would be unable to deal with their speed. That was kind of the point of that fight - Flash didn't barely win, he was so far out of the demon ninjas' league that he could gently caress around for a bit to ensure a double killing blow.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Child Emperor hasn't actually taken any damage at all nor has his hostage

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zzulu posted:

Child Emperor hasn't actually taken any damage at all nor has his hostage

Child emperor's tools are an extension of his fighting capabilities, and a lot of them, including his apparent trump card, have been depleted or outright destroyed. He's doing a good job, but I wouldn't describe his situation as "undamaged".

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He has also defeated his enemy already. It's just that his enemy has a knack of resurrecting

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zzulu posted:

The people complaining about the fights in OPM, literally the best fight action in any manga, have severe brain problems

I don't think people are complaining about the quality of the fights, but rather the long drawn out fight sequence that is overshadowing the comedy side of the manga. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All these fights are cool as hell

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Andrast posted:

All these fights are cool as hell

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zzulu posted:

only when saitama is involved

the fights are fun because in your typical fight comic you know the good guys are always going to win, but there's some sort of challenge they have to overcome. but again - you know they're gonna win

opm is good because the title straight up says the good guy (singular) is going to win, very quickly, skipping all the bullshit

right now there's just a bunch of characters i don't care about, i just want to see people get onepunched because that's the title of the series

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be honest, I don't really follow OPM for the actual one-punch gag per se, or really any of the comedy at all, which is usually more chuckle funny than gut-busting.

For me it's all about those moments of emotional catharsis and I've been waiting a long time to see the next big one drawn by Murata. And so are a lot of people, probably. Which is where the complaints are coming from.

The fights are a pretty good spectacle but the S-class fights lack the emotional stakes that, say, many of Garou's fights have had.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It hasn't even been that long since the last dude got one-punched, anyway.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

If you want a comic where everything revolves around a single character, watch Dragon Ball. Any of them. I'm glad OPM is not just "The Saitama Show', and if there's one thing I wanted from reading the original, it was seeing all of the S-class heroes displaying their powers and personality, and I'm getting everything I wanted.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
One Punch Man Is Bad Now

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zzulu posted:

The fight action is absolutely gorgeous and stylish as hell, but that alone doesn't make them good fights. Good fights tell a story well. These fights largely do not.

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that Flashy Flash styled all over the other ninjas. The ending of that fight was them going "...we were screwed from the start, weren't we?" and him going "Yep. Just kept it going longer since one of you might have run away otherwise, and that would have been really inconvenient."

Through the 66 (!) pages of that fight, Flashy is continually shown to be caught off guard by the second-string ninjas, is constantly backing away from them, and struggling to keep pace. When he finally wins, it's because of some clever slight-of-hand. That is, his speed fails him because he was evenly matched and outnumbered, and he's forced to resort to tricks.

And then he quickly explains that, no, actually he is the fasted and best fighter and it just looked like he just barely pulled out a victory because he wanted to style, no-for-real-guys.

(And then the monster calls him insufferable.)

The joke is that Flashy is bullshitting. We see the man struggle for his life only to boast about how invincible he is afterwards. (Remember, this is the same dude who earlier tried to show off for the A- and B-Class heroes only to need Tatsumaki to bail him out.) But because the fight was prolonged over drat near 70 pages, not only does the joke fall flat, but the entire narrative of the fight has been confused to the point that it's hard to tell that there was every a joke in the first place. Flashy's bald-faced lie to shield his ego comes across as legitimate.

I'm not saying that I don't like the fights because they overshadow the jokes per se. And I'm certainly not saying that I don't like the fights because Saitama ain't in them.

I don't like the fights because they're failing to tell a story.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I love when people explain jokes to me and tell me why they don't work.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The fights are better than the jokes~

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m gonna wait till the resolution of this fight to pass judgement, but Child Emperor has been shown off a lot compared to other S-Class and it feels weird to focus on him now. Especially since he is pretty heroic compared to the rest of S-class who are in it out of psychopathy/vanity/other reasons and doesn’t need the expanded characterization atm

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Collapsing Farts posted:

The fights are better than the jokes~

Yeah, and the jokes used to be better than that.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Schwarzwald posted:

Through the 66 (!) pages of that fight, Flashy is continually shown to be caught off guard by the second-string ninjas, is constantly backing away from them, and struggling to keep pace. When he finally wins, it's because of some clever slight-of-hand. That is, his speed fails him because he was evenly matched and outnumbered, and he's forced to resort to tricks.

What exactly was the trick? Flashy kicks them a bunch, and while they're still processing that they're being kicked, he slices them in half. That makes him significantly faster than them.

The webcomic does drive home the point much faster, that Flashy is a level way above normal speedsters (given there's like 2 panels for the brothers and one of them is them dying). But the webcomic has always had more brevity than the manga.

Unless we see an exact breakdown of what ONE's storyboards for Murata vs. what the final product looks like, we can only speculate exactly how much Murata adds.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
loving lol at people complaining about fights in a series drawn by a shonen artist. The hell were you all expecting?

B-But t-the j-j-jokes! :qq:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm fine with Murata drawing rad mechs fighting monsters, it's a worthy trade off if the only thing suffering for it is a two panel joke that isn't that great to begin with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

skaianDestiny posted:

What exactly was the trick? Flashy kicks them a bunch, and while they're still processing that they're being kicked, he slices them in half. That makes him significantly faster than them.

He drops his sword, baits them into over extending, and then chops them with the sword when they don't expect it. It's not that he sliced them in half because he out-sped their defenses but he sliced them in half because they weren't ready for a sword on account of they didn't think he still had a sword.

skaianDestiny posted:

The webcomic does drive home the point much faster, that Flashy is a level way above normal speedsters (given there's like 2 panels for the brothers and one of them is them dying). But the webcomic has always had more brevity than the manga.

It's awkward to compare the two because the characters in the webcomic are different enough to be distinct. In this particular case it's not so much that the webcomic drives home the point faster so much that it's driving home an entirely separate point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zeratanis posted:

loving lol at people complaining about fights in a series drawn by a shonen artist. The hell were you all expecting?

B-But t-the j-j-jokes! :qq:

Murata could draw the Garlic Jr. saga, and while I'm sure it'd be gorgeous, it'd still be the Garlic Jr. saga.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I felt like originally that the art was part of the joke. Having this lightweight gag manga, that is notable for both how funny it is and how poorly it is drawn, and putting it through some of the best art in the industry was really loving funny and a big part of what made the comic work for me. The Boros fight being this massive spectacle AND having "Ok." is such an iconic thing.

At this point the redraw is so different from that, and I don't remember the last story beat that I actually cared much about, or the last joke to really get me. It's not some bs abt The J j j j jokes, it's that the entire tone and pace of the comic has changed, from the first few arcs and especially from the webcomic where the jokes were originally set up

Sure the art is phenomenal, I just wish there was half as much of it lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Wow look at all these impeccably drawn fights I'm bored of, and not invested in at all