Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Man, VGCW was so good. The moment with Ganon during the final battle against the Game Genie was amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdA__k_EC8&t=460s

I still keep up with WVGCW and it's still pretty good, though it's lost a little bit of the magic after they switched to the newer games because 2K refuses to put the story creator back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wonder if a move to Fire Pro could've been intriguing, since those games have a lot of robust AI tweaking. But that might hinder the sheer 2kuality of it all.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Matt McMuscles' Punch-Out!! Retrospective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fof6RqkiLUs

Here comes new stuff.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

No.1 Special posted:

Matt McMuscles' Punch-Out!! Retrospective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fof6RqkiLUs

Here comes new stuff.

On top of that, Woolie dropped an episode of his new podcast:

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1075585124723580928

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Vgcw was one of my favorite things the internet has ever put out and I'm glad I managed to get bazza a big music folder full of stuff to use, he put some to real good use (like arrow of destiny) and god, some of the glitches that happened like Mr Bones' Wild Ride were legendary. Also, far better writing than actual wrestling

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

rewatching omikron and seeing pat get incredibly heated about misunderstanding how the taxi works. no wonder everything went to poo poo.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think my favorite parts of Omikron is where they have been broken down so much that they're lashing out at each other and then minutes later there's heartfelt apologies.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I wonder if there is going to be an episode about how SBFP failed

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

theCalamity posted:

They lasted almost a decade, I don't think SBFP can be called a "failure".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wha happun episode when

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

OneDeadman posted:

I think my favorite parts of Omikron is where they have been broken down so much that they're lashing out at each other and then minutes later there's heartfelt apologies.

My favorite of these is Woolie and Pat screaming at each other about what item they need to get now while Matt's making his character jump around and going, "Look, guys, look, I'm jumping!" like his parents are this close to filing for a divorce.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

theCalamity posted:

I imagine that any sort of SBF retrospective/post-mortem is years off

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Neo_Crimson posted:

On top of that, Woolie dropped an episode of his new podcast:

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1075585124723580928

Hearing woolie talk about how hes freaking the gently caress out is making me feel bad man. Dude is so loving solid and hes taking it real hard.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I'll rewatch the Metroid Fusion LP, which is what originally got me into following them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Vgcw was one of my favorite things the internet has ever put out and I'm glad I managed to get bazza a big music folder full of stuff to use, he put some to real good use (like arrow of destiny) and god, some of the glitches that happened like Mr Bones' Wild Ride were legendary. Also, far better writing than actual wrestling

I still think my favorite VGCW moment was Octodad beating Ganondorf and the entire chat including Baz going "what the actual gently caress?!".

Only Ink can defeat Ganon. :v:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I 've been watching Matt and Woolie's Donkey Kong Country playthrough and Matt is so loving energized in it. Really looking forward to hearing more of that energy in his solo stuff, I really hope all three of them are able to recover from the split as well as Liam has.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How well does Liam's stream do? How many viewers does he regularly get?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like Matt and Pat are gonna be fine enough; Matt's got projects that could lead to even more growth in actual game producing, and Pat can probably do enough numbers to live off streaming if he can net a Warframe deal and pump up the number of streams.

I really hope things go well for Woolie. He's definitely got something good going with podcasting, and Woolie Will Figure It Out is really good so far (heck, it inspired me to finally start to truly work on a project I've had in my head for a while. Ironically enough, it's very much VGCW related).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

Well he was one of the top...dozen I want to say, restreams of the game awards, so I guess that's something?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I feel like Matt and Pat are gonna be fine enough; Matt's got projects that could lead to even more growth in actual game producing, and Pat can probably do enough numbers to live off streaming if he can net a Warframe deal and pump up the number of streams.

I really hope things go well for Woolie. He's definitely got something good going with podcasting, and Woolie Will Figure It Out is really good so far (heck, it inspired me to finally start to truly work on a project I've had in my head for a while. Ironically enough, it's very much VGCW related).

I think between two podcasts, streaming more, and pushing harder into the world of fitegames, Woolie should come out on top of it. And if all else fails, there is the dark god Patreon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andrast posted:

He usually averages around 500 or so viewers during normal streams, if even that. And his chat is slow enough that there's plenty of room of just hanging out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hoobajoo posted:

I think between two podcasts, streaming more, and pushing harder into the world of fitegames, Woolie should come out on top of it. And if all else fails, there is the dark god Patreon.

Patreon only works if you already have a significant audience

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Hearing woolie talk about how hes freaking the gently caress out is making me feel bad man. Dude is so loving solid and hes taking it real hard.

👀 time for me to listen to this. I said it before but I think he is just the best overall person in sbf.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Patreon only works if you already have a significant audience

I mean it's "working" if you're getting anything, it's not hard for people even with tiny audiences to get nice extra bucks from it.

Also all I really want is for Matt and Woolie to do fine and then also do things together sometimes, also more Matt + Liam sometimes because he's infinitely better when he's not just doing his shtick against a group.

Meanwhile pretty much scrubbed Pat/Paige, could do without ever getting, much less supporting her lovely takes again unless some drastic change of character comes.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 20, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

speaking of liam being the best, I don't think anyone mentioned it but even if Pat and Liam are on the outs now the Nier LP is one of the best ones because Pat's going in completely blind and Liam is the one hding all the secrets.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

matt's punch out video really shows how good he is when his hearts in it. If he keeps making content like that, I'm down.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DSP was getting 5k a month from Patreon. Gametrailers, a site that got way below numbers of a giant bomb or IGN, does 50k+ a month.

Woolie will easily make bank from Patreon if he ever goes there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

DSP was getting 5k a month from Patreon.

lol, what? Even at its peak, DSP never got past 1.5k from Patreon.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

TaurusOxford posted:

lol, what? Even at its peak, DSP never got past 1.5k from Patreon.

That number is still too high.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I still kinda have a feeling that once the dust settles and the two have had a month or two of duo podcasts they might end up starting up a new channel for Castle Super Beast with a much less frequent schedule than the old channel had.

Though that might also be me heavily wanting to see them do a DMC5 thing together, even though we all know they're gonna both play it right away streamed or otherwise.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Overlord K posted:

I still kinda have a feeling that once the dust settles and the two have had a month or two of duo podcasts they might end up starting up a new channel for Castle Super Beast with a much less frequent schedule than the old channel had.

Though that might also be me heavily wanting to see them do a DMC5 thing together, even though we all know they're gonna both play it right away streamed or otherwise.

It's quite possible Matt/Woolie and Pat/Woolie LPs will occasionally appear on Woolie Vs, though far from a sure thing, or we might see the LPs continue in stream format. I'm sure we'll get less LPs than before, but I kinda think that's fine.

I think it's probably for the best that they don't create a new channel, since the set schedule of LPs is likely part of what strained Matt and Pat's friendship in the first place. Them having their different ventures and cross promoting a lot makes more sense going forward, since it'll make scheduling and the frequency of collaborations a lot more organic.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 20, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Compared to every other channel I've followed their schedule of two videos a day all week, with videos often being over half an hour long was, in retrospect, bonkers. It does explain how they were able to fund four employees on a relatively low subscriber count though.

Still, I do wonder if things wouldn't have been better for them, and the channel's longevity, if they'd altered that schedule to let Matt do what he wanted with scripted stuff, and let Pat & Woolie do LPs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they considered that, but came to the conclusion of "why bother with the channel then?" If there's any truth to the tensions about the money stuff, I imagine that would have only soured the situation further.

I do find myself wondering what exactly was the nature of Matt and Pat's friendship - we do know it started off as a business thing that apparently grew into a friendship, but at least from the past few years it didn't really sound like they ever did much together outside of the channel?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I do find myself wondering what exactly was the nature of Matt and Pat's friendship - we do know it started off as a business thing that apparently grew into a friendship, but at least from the past few years it didn't really sound like they ever did much together outside of the channel?

They were already hanging out together for hours each week with the channel stuff so not doing it outside of it doesn't seem that weird

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

👀 time for me to listen to this. I said it before but I think he is just the best overall person in sbf.

it felt like he was putting in so much work to keep the channel and podcast afloat while also doing his own projects on the side. the true best friend.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Assuming that 4chan thing is accurate it’s weird to me that people read it and blame Pat somehow. He bears responsibility for his weirdness and abrasive personality and it’s effect on whatever their friendship was, but if the conflict was, ultimately, a business thing then the “blame” falls much more heavily on Matt.

Matt has very obviously not given a poo poo about the channel or podcast for years, Pat and Woolie have literally been holding the thing up in volume and quality of content ever since Liam left if not before. For him to still be dictating like he’s the boss and taking a larger cut despite doing measurably less work than the others and not really doing any boss poo poo would be pretty infuriating, especially if I’m Pat and have been an equal part of this thing in terms of production and value since day one, or if I’m Woolie and am doing virtually all management and organization duties, as well as having handled years of editing. If it’s really a business, the onus is on Matt to express he doesn’t want to do it anymore and wants to focus on his content, and handle that transition however he sees fit. Not passive aggressively/drunkenly sleepwalk through his responsibilities for years until things blow up.

Matt like Liam is also incredibly thin skinned, and his friends jumping all over Twitter to passive aggressively subtweet Pat while Pat and Woolie have been nothing but professional about it is pretty telling and rubs me the wrong way.

Of course, I also think his scripted stuff is terrible and was the least popular poo poo when he would post it on the main channel so it’s easy to see where Pat would be coming from in thinking continuing with unscripted poo poo was the way to go.

Idk it’s sad to see the pair I’ve been watching since whenever that first Epic Yarn video was split up, but honestly that Matt has been gone a very long time now. The worst part about this for me is I assume Pat and Woolie will be going to individual streams outside of the podcast, and I can’t stand watching streams much less solo ones.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mandrel posted:

Assuming that 4chan thing is accurate it’s weird to me that people read it and blame Pat somehow. He bears responsibility for his weirdness and abrasive personality and it’s effect on whatever their friendship was, but if the conflict was, ultimately, a business thing then the “blame” falls much more heavily on Matt.

Matt has very obviously not given a poo poo about the channel or podcast for years, Pat and Woolie have literally been holding the thing up in volume and quality of content ever since Liam left if not before. For him to still be dictating like he’s the boss and taking a larger cut despite doing measurably less work than the others and not really doing any boss poo poo would be pretty infuriating, especially if I’m Pat and have been an equal part of this thing in terms of production and value since day one, or if I’m Woolie and am doing virtually all management and organization duties, as well as having handled years of editing. If it’s really a business, the onus is on Matt to express he doesn’t want to do it anymore and wants to focus on his content, and handle that transition however he sees fit. Not passive aggressively/drunkenly sleepwalk through his responsibilities for years until things blow up.

Matt like Liam is also incredibly thin skinned, and his friends jumping all over Twitter to passive aggressively subtweet Pat while Pat and Woolie have been nothing but professional about it is pretty telling and rubs me the wrong way.

Of course, I also think his scripted stuff is terrible and was the least popular poo poo when he would post it on the main channel so it’s easy to see where Pat would be coming from in thinking continuing with unscripted poo poo was the way to go.

Idk it’s sad to see the pair I’ve been watching since whenever that first Epic Yarn video was split up, but honestly that Matt has been gone a very long time now. The worst part about this for me is I assume Pat and Woolie will be going to individual streams outside of the podcast, and I can’t stand watching streams much less solo ones.

Harsh but great post and I can't find myself disagreeing with any of it. Matt gets so passive aggressive and sand-baggy it seemed like a terrible, unstable way for a leader to conduct a business with personalities like the other boys have. Can't say I blame Pat very much for saying gently caress this if the 4chan stuff is true.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
personally I'm glad I can continue to support woolie and matt without having to interact with pat-related content at all

e: lol at it being "very telling" that people who aren't friends with pat are subtweeting about him. maybe the telling thing is that pat kind of sucks?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2018

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Look... guys look... I'm jump- I'm jumping...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Matt's a lovely businessman, but Pat had both Liam and Matt end up not liking him. Both guys are fine with Woolie, so I think there's a common thread there.