Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im stoned a lot so i like it when the fights are overly cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad this version isn't just the webcomic again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

loving lol at people complaining about fights in a series drawn by a shonen artist. The hell were you all expecting?

B-But t-the j-j-jokes! :qq:

The series as it's gone on as really taken a Pirates of the Carribean downturn.

The Virgin Onepunch-Man vs the Chad Kengan Ashura

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
*channeling all of my energy into my insanely good post, rly drawing every last drop of power to drop the unbelievably good content*

Also everyone who disagrees with me is dumb or whatec er

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Schwarzwald posted:

He drops his sword, baits them into over extending, and then chops them with the sword when they don't expect it. It's not that he sliced them in half because he out-sped their defenses but he sliced them in half because they weren't ready for a sword on account of they didn't think he still had a sword.

He doesn't drop the sword, it's knocked out of his hands.

Flashy does his kicks, then while the brothers are still in the air and thinking about reacting to the kicks, Flash jumps to where his sword went and slices the brothers while they're still in the air.

If Flashy wasn't significantly faster than them, then they would have moved or at the very least changed their pose while in the air. Instead they're basically in the exact same position they were in when they were kicked. Hell, they would have been able to react to a single kick if Flashy wasn't much faster than them, instead he hits them multiple times.

Like, I'm not disagreeing that the tone right now is way different from the webcomic, but the action is pretty clear.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 20, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

skaianDestiny posted:

He doesn't drop the sword, it's knocked out of his hands.

Flashy does his kicks, then while the brothers are still in the air and thinking about reacting to the kicks, Flash jumps to where his sword went and slices the brothers while they're still in the air.

If Flashy wasn't significantly faster than them, then they would have moved or at the very least changed their pose while in the air. Instead they're basically in the exact same position they were in when they were kicked. Hell, they would have been able to react to a single kick if Flashy wasn't much faster than them, instead he hits them multiple times.

Like, I'm not disagreeing that the tone right now is way different from the webcomic, but the action is pretty clear.
I think flashy is much faster than you are giving him credit for here.
The brothers knock the sword out of his hand and move in for a killing blow, flashy kicks the poo poo out of them, and then flashes over to the sword as it’s still flying away from the disarm move that just happened and flashes back to kill them while they are basically still being initially impacted by the kicks. As that panel shows, the sword was pretty far away too. It’s like he stopped time on them, which says a lot.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The whole fight takes place in nearly stopped time, and then Flashy speeds up like he’s stopping time even in that context. It might not be the best story right now but gently caress yes that’s amazing fight choreography.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So Flashy is both slow enough that the monster ninja can knock his sword loose but also fast enough to grab his sword and slash both monster ninja's while they're suspended in time.

I'm gonna disagree about the action being clear here.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Schwarzwald posted:

So Flashy is both slow enough that the monster ninja can knock his sword loose but also fast enough to grab his sword and slash both monster ninja's while they're suspended in time.

it's called a fakeout

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please stop complaining about the ratio between gags and action.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Schwarzwald posted:

And Boros did some epic combo that climaxed with a knee to Saitamas gut that sent him to the moon faster than the speed of light. Does this mean that Saitama is a weaker, worse fighter? No, Saitama simply wanted to have a good fight.
Imagine how slow most of the monsters FF fights are and how boring it probably is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rage-saq posted:

I think flashy is much faster than you are giving him credit for here.
The brothers knock the sword out of his hand and move in for a killing blow, flashy kicks the poo poo out of them, and then flashes over to the sword as it’s still flying away from the disarm move that just happened and flashes back to kill them while they are basically still being initially impacted by the kicks. As that panel shows, the sword was pretty far away too. It’s like he stopped time on them, which says a lot.

This is some overpowered anime bullshit, he's activated Blade Mode while Mach Speed is already active, what the gently caress is this nonsense?

Schwarzwald posted:

So you're saying that Goku and Vegeta were basically even in that fight but Goku had Super Saiyin 3 the entire time? Man, they're just making poo poo up as they go along now.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bongo Bill posted:

Please stop complaining about the ratio between gags and action.

No

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
The Flashy Flash fight sucks because he and his opponents are boring and nothing about the fight matters at all. Sure Murata's art is as pretty as ever, but that doesn't stop the fight from essentially being a 60-70 page intermission that does nothing but tell us that, no really guys, Flashy Flash is very fast. At least the Child Emperor/Phoenix Man fight is fun because it's between two weirdos, not just ninja dude and ninja dudes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's amazing how many people seem to go well out of their way to rationalize why they're not having fun with stuff.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the flashy flash fight because it was cool. It was 3 overpowered ninjas fighting, overpowered-ly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the side characters can be cool but also not cannibalize this whole arc.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They are this arc

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Even in the webcomic Saitama doesn't appear until the very end.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Even in the webcomic Saitama doesn't appear until the very end.

that's fine but the problem is there's a bunch of stuff between now and then, presumably planned, since every fight is being expanded and also new fights invented and whole new characters added like Orochi. this is after a long 'filler' arc with the martial artist tourney and elder centipede.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 21, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean everything still looks amazing but I probably won't be super hyped for new chapters until Black Sperm shows up for more than just a scene again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So the problem is that people weren't looking for a localized version and just wanted a literal adaptation of the original Japanese.

Which I can understand. I live in America and the Kirby constantly being depicted as a serious character on all the box art does nothing for me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RareAcumen posted:

So the problem is that people weren't looking for a localized version and just wanted a literal adaptation of the original Japanese.

Which I can understand. I live in America and the Kirby constantly being depicted as a serious character on all the box art does nothing for me.

same

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

https://twitter.com/nebu_kuro/status/1075981416033247233?s=21

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i'm having a great deal of trouble working out what's actually going on in a lot of these fights

redrawn child emperor vs phoenix man was fairly easy to work out but the original draw i couldn't parse poo poo

flashy flash fight i still don't quite get it except that he won

and i love saitama because there's only one thing to pay attention to (punch). giant centipede kill was peak art to me

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Xarbala posted:

I mean everything still looks amazing but I probably won't be super hyped for new chapters until Black Sperm shows up for more than just a scene again.

the impregnation power of the black sperm (feat. King)

Anyway the conversation is great but here's a season 2 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMRQ0NZdwps

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mordecai posted:

I'm sure it will be a perfectly good season, but this trailer gets me considerably less hype than the MP100 trailer did, which is way more dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1WGJ7Yjnw

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 21, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its ok to accept you no longer like this and stop reading it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mordecai posted:

That trailer is absolute poo poo
Although I guess there'll be a "proper" one sometime later? Oh man. I hope there is, I really want to feel hyped about this. It'll be hard to reach a proper finale that's anywhere as epic as the end of S1, if they don't finish the current manga arc.

Aaaaanyway - this may sound weird, but I don't really mind the current standard shonen slugfest. For me, Onepunch Man never had particularly good fight scenes (...wait, wait, come back!); it's magnificently drawn epic action, but it's not very interesting FIGHTS. There's not a lot of back-and-forth, the participant's abilities rarely make sense and are arbitrarily powerful, the fights themselves are often undercut by later revelations hidden from the reader ("I could've ended the fight at any time", "I had an ultimate attack all this time", etc.). If Onepunch Man were just straight-up fights, it'd be very tiring. But as a vehicle for a joke, as an introduction to awesome fun characters, or as an awe-inspiring display of epic poo poo it's pretty great. It's just that the latter needs some time, and I think it's too much attempted epic stuff one after the other, it's getting kinda tiring.

Mind, I do like these action scenes! Orochi vs. Garou is a thing of beauty, Fubuki vs. Saitama / Sonic vs. Genos does wonders to introduce Fubuki, and OF COURSE there's the utterly badass slugfest of Garou vs. Metal Bat... I suppose there's just not a lot to these last three opponents, so they feel like throwaway fights which were unnecessarily bloated. But, eh, I guess I see what they're all about.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

its ok to accept you no longer like this and stop reading it

I don't want to stop reading it, I just want it to pick up the pace and cut slacking off.

It's pure navel-gazing at this point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I wish this fight manga removed all the fights

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

these are still my favorite pages in the whole redraw so far (not counting pages that have best girls on them)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I'm actually going to keep reading the thing that I still enjoy looking at but notably less than I used to for reasons that I have previously outlined.

I will work to keep it more PMA, bc if there's anything I know about anime posting it's that you gotta keep it PMA, no tilt, epic positive style posting only

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mordecai posted:

Everyone except Saitama-simplistic and Sonic looks horribly off
Especially King

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't s2 being made by completely different staff? hope for adequacy, at best.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

isn't s2 being made by completely different staff? hope for adequacy, at best.

It’s made by a different J.C Staff, to be specific! :eng101:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think it's cool people are working out their feelings towards this manga and I sincerely hope this discussion continues. These long fights never really bothered me, I'm totally cool with big fights without pathos and drive most of the time, but I bet knowing what this all culminates in really helps. I'll admit to not liking the pace and I def let some chapters accumulate but I still come away with a good enough time. What I will say though iiiiiiiiiiiis

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm sure it will be a perfectly good season, but this trailer gets me considerably less hype than the MP100 trailer did, which is way more dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1WGJ7Yjnw

It's wild that these two trailers are only seven seconds different in length, the Mob trailer feels like it goes on forever, always showing you something new. The OPM trailer made me think my speakers were being weird and then King's face did look weird.I guess I'm gonna chalk that up to Mob Season 2 airing in like two weeks, two months at the time of that trailer. The OPM one feels more like a memory refresher cause you may not have seen these characters in three years.

Anyway, here's the newest Mob Psycho trailer and god, i assume most people here have checked out Mob Psycho by now but if you haven't, you extreeeeeeeeeemely need to. It's really clear why it was ONE's main focus for so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr43Sayk37s

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Admittedly it probably doesn't help that I read the entire webcomic Garou arc in one sitting, whereas with the redraw I actually don't remember how long the arc has been going, it feels like Garou first showed up over a year ago???

I just wanna see this stuff that I'm actually invested in drawn finally!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Death Bot posted:

it feels like Garou first showed up over a year ago???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Oh my god