Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
On topic this time :)

My ferry depot won't produce a ferry. I have paths (although they are messy) and a line set up, but no ferry shows up. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mayveena posted:

On topic this time :)

My ferry depot won't produce a ferry. I have paths (although they are messy) and a line set up, but no ferry shows up. Any suggestions?

Is your ferry depot connected to the paths? I'm pretty sure is has to be. Also check funding and ferry stop power and make sure your line is complete.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

Is your ferry depot connected to the paths? I'm pretty sure is has to be. Also check funding and ferry stop power and make sure your line is complete.

Alright I'll do that, thanks. But I think there may be a mod issue as my pathing won't work the way I saw it work in this video. That's the thing about mods, they create a lot of compatibility issues. The paths won't connect properly to the depot and who knows what mod is causing that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mayveena posted:

Alright I'll do that, thanks. But I think there may be a mod issue as my pathing won't work the way I saw it work in this video. That's the thing about mods, they create a lot of compatibility issues. The paths won't connect properly to the depot and who knows what mod is causing that.

Post your mod list and one of us will be able to tell you. There aren't many that gently caress with paths.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Post your mod list and one of us will be able to tell you. There aren't many that gently caress with paths.

25 spaces
Advanced Tool Bar
Ambient Occulsion
Automatic Bulldozer v2
Dynamic Resolution
Fine Road Anarchy
Infinite Oil and Ore Redux
Move it
Network Extensions 2
TMPE Fixed
Ultimate Eye Candy 1.5.2

Playing with Mass Transit, Park life, the environmental DLC and Industries.

Thanks for any help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did you turn off node snapping with fine road anarchy?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Did you turn off node snapping with fine road anarchy?

Uh no, didn't know I needed to, I'll do that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I mean if you did then it won't snap properly to existing networks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

No I mean if you did then it won't snap properly to existing networks.

I don't think so but I can turn the mod off, I don't use it that much anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's one of the small buttons in the bottom left that the mod adds. You might have clicked or hotkeyed it by accident.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Are there mods for the following things?

Speed up time faster than the default.
Adjust time of day.
Get rid of the blue haze at the edge of the map when using the 81 tiles mod.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Are there mods for the following things?

I've also tried to come up with another sperglord downtown freewaybox project to waste my time on. And instead of using a featureless plain, I've now expanded my car-loving horizons to include a river. This will never get finished but at least I've got a nice lay-out going for the left bank:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my new fun times in C:S is to take some really ridiculous interchanges off the workshop and just try to slam those bastards in and still have the highway network make a little sense. this is my current implementation of the Sonnborner Kreuz

to the southeast is the dense downtown city grid, the highway splits off to the north to form a tight Inner Ring-style highway, and off to the upper left to form a much larger Outer Ring. it needs a little fixing because right now there's no opportunities for southbound traffic on the Inner Ring coming into the city to get off going Northeast on the major boulevard there, and also it's build entirely as a bridge because it doesn't fit on land. but gently caress IT, who needs shipping channels anyway

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 10, 2018

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

What's the mod of choice for subway hubs? My city of 300,000 needs a better subway system and the results from googling tend to say 'Also needs X mod', which is normally no longer functional.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive probably asked this question three times in the past but did anyone ever create a mod that made cities challenging outside of the traffic systems? Or is it still mostly a transport tycoon zen garden?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's mostly zen garden.

I found a lot of issues running realistic population and trying to get a dense town centre not entirely loving rammed, tho.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hey, here is a cool mod for big detailing nerds that want to make their roads smoother.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1597198847

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got Industries last week and got curious about which buildings were the most efficient in terms of cash/size ratio, so I made a spreadsheet to find out.

The end results are below showing the best buildings for raw and processed materials per industry.

Forestry:
Small Tree Sapling Field
Engineered Wood Plant (Planed Timber)

Farming:
Small Fruit Field
Cattle Shed (Animal Products)

Ore:
Small Ore Mine Underground
Ore Grinding Mill (Metals)

Oil:
Small Oil Pump
Waste Oil Refining Plant (Petroleum)

Here is a link to the Google Docs spreadsheet if anybody is interested.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 27, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Here is a link to the Google Docs spreadsheet if anybody is interested.
Those numbers are just :psyduck:

Did anyone even attempt to balance them? Some buildings just randomly have much higher upkeep and lower production for no reason? And those storage values.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I thought I'd get back into this, because it's been a year or more and I watched my cousin's ridiculous cities during the holidays. So, bog standard Paradox question: which DLCs are close to completely unnecessary, if any?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Black Griffon posted:

I thought I'd get back into this, because it's been a year or more and I watched my cousin's ridiculous cities during the holidays. So, bog standard Paradox question: which DLCs are close to completely unnecessary, if any?

They're all pretty unnecessary. A couple of them add some kinda cool stuff but if you don't feel like spending money you aren't really missing anything important. Note that I haven't played Industries; it might be more interesting than the others. For Cities, having the right mods is about 100x more important than having the right DLC.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't buy any DLCs. If you're dead set on taxis and bikes, buy After Dark, if you want a bunch of niche transport options get Mass Transit (although monorails are also available via mods iirc), and if you're 100% truly dead set on trams buy Snowfall.

The real value for making pretty cities lies in downloading the full complement of ___ It! and ___ Anarchy mods as well as stuff like Traffic Manager: President Edition, Advanced Vehicle Options, More Beautification, Ploppable RICO, Plop The Growables, Surface Painter, and Parallel Road Tool. There are a few good Steam Workshop collections that compile the best gameplay mods. There are also a bunch of All In One collections of country-specific assets to help you make pretty cities.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'll be the minority opinion and say that I really like the DLCs I have. I'm not completely sure which features come from which DLC, and I've never played without DLCs, but it all fits together pretty well.

I have after dark, mass transit, snowfall, and green cities. Green cities adds a bunch of neat stuff for managing garbage and pollution, and some stuff for making your fancy villa districts even fancier.

If you mostly want to play model railways with roads, you don't need any of the DLCs as described in the posts above me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah alright, might have to rephrase my question to "what DLCs add interesting stuff". I've played hundreds of hours with After Dark and a poo poo ton of mods, to be clear, so I'm looking for something that adds a little spice, but last time I played was right before, uh, snowfall maybe?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I did some updates to the Industries spreadsheet to include the input amounts each processor building was using. I was testing the balance of extractor and processor buildings by using large oil pumps and waste oil refining plants which both have an output of 8000 units. I noticed I was getting a surplus of oil in my storage tanks, so I kept adding more waste oil refining plants until I hit a balance which was around 16 plants per 10 pumps. That indicated that the waste oil refining plant had less raw materials coming in than processed materials going out. It got me curious, so I got a debugging mod that let me look at realtime stats of the industry buildings so I could figure out exactly what was going on.

If you're the type that is looking for maximum optimization from the new industries buildings, here is the new spreadsheet.

The mod I used for data mining is "Mod Tools - Debugging Toolkit for modders". m_customBuffer1 is the output of a building, m_customBuffer2 is the input.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there some way to connect foot bridges to road bridges, the way footpaths connect to roads?

E: also is there a mod that converts steep pedestrian paths to stairs

pidan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 27, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Try Road Anarchy?

As for a pedestrian path that turns into stairs, I've found this network really useful. Stair 2m

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's your favorite map with shitloads of topography? I decided to not buy DLCs and just play the game, but I also felt the need to clear out all my old mods and maps since it's been a minute.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

donoteat, I miss you. :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I havent played this game much lately but I put a few hours in yesterday and today. Moved across the river and decided to have a go at a bridge and an 'entertainment' location.

I also had a go at a custom staircase/viewing platform.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How did you make the walls?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Looks like the steel wall quays for the larger one, and probably one of the thin concrete wall networks for the rest. I'd put money on ploppable pavement for the surfaces.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dragonshardz posted:

Looks like the steel wall quays for the larger one, and probably one of the thin concrete wall networks for the rest. I'd put money on ploppable pavement for the surfaces.

Bingo. Theres only one concrete wall network that you can raise up so you have to get a bit creative. It took a long time to hide all the dodgy elevation stuff and I used some of the tricks that strictoaster has been doing on Nydal like using multiple Quays placed next to each other instead of one long run. Same with the concrete walls so it gives some variation. The red pavement is ploppable surface 8. I got very friendly with the align heights button in move it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I can get those quays and the overpass network to look good only about half the time.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What DLC is a must-have?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

None of it is really a must-have. After Dark adds bikes, and also taxis and tourism districts and other poo poo nobody cares about. Snowfall adds trams and winter themed maps, but not a seasonal cycle and also a bunch of dumb poo poo nobody cares about like heat distribution and road repair. The same theme continues with all the major DLCs where there's a couple of features that are decent and a bunch of crap.

If there's a particular thing you want, then get the DLC for it, but there's no single DLC pack that makes the game significantly different or better.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

hailthefish posted:

None of it is really a must-have. After Dark adds bikes, and also taxis and tourism districts and other poo poo nobody cares about. Snowfall adds trams and winter themed maps, but not a seasonal cycle and also a bunch of dumb poo poo nobody cares about like heat distribution and road repair. The same theme continues with all the major DLCs where there's a couple of features that are decent and a bunch of crap.

If there's a particular thing you want, then get the DLC for it, but there's no single DLC pack that makes the game significantly different or better.

Thank you.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

a7m2 posted:

What DLC is a must-have?

I will disagree and say that while no DLC is a must have, Mass Transit does a lot to make this traffic simulator much easier.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Which mod is it that has the collection of smaller alleys and pedestrian paths? I did a mod wipe and i'm slowly rebuilding my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Which mod is it that has the collection of smaller alleys and pedestrian paths? I did a mod wipe and i'm slowly rebuilding my collection.

Network Extensions 2.