Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Davincie posted:

crunchyroll helped fund kemono friends and now season 2 will be a corporate hellhole, no coincidence there if you ask me. if you have any moral backbone at all you'd have cancelled your subscription already

What's the story there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

What's the story there?

Kemono Friends season 1 basically ended up being insanely popular despite just about every possible disadvantage being thrown at them. They of course looked at the people who pulled off that minor miracle, and decided it was fine to fire them. And then pull a bunch of total dick moves when people asked "what the hell" like forcing the VAs to apologize for them.

Season 2 has...not looked like it's going to be so great

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AnoHito posted:

Kemono Friends season 1 basically ended up being insanely popular despite just about every possible disadvantage being thrown at them. They of course looked at the people who pulled off that minor miracle, and decided it was fine to fire them. And then pull a bunch of total dick moves when people asked "what the hell" like forcing the VAs to apologize for them.

What the gently caress man? Was that Crunchyroll? Dude what the gently caress man? I'd be ALL OVER that poo poo to keep those guys onboard anyway I can.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AnoHito posted:

the best part/most dickish move is them scheduling S2 to coincide with the S1 director's new show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

What the gently caress man? Was that Crunchyroll? Dude what the gently caress man? I'd be ALL OVER that poo poo to keep those guys onboard anyway I can.

CR was a sponsor for the how but the decisions came down to the Japanese IP holder (kadokawa?)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

doomrider7 posted:

Crunchyroll wasn't the ones who fired them. They were just a producing party. Kadokawa is the owner of the IP, main producer, and Japanese distributor, and were the ones who fired Tatsuki and the rest of Yaoyorozu after they did a short film on their own with some of the characters.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll wasn't the ones who fired them. They were just a producing party. Kadokawa is the owner of the IP, main producer, and Japanese distributor, and were the ones who fired Tatsuki and the rest of Yaoyorozu after they did a short film on their own with some of the characters.

My heart briefly stopped when I read that as Kodansha(Slime's secondary producer) and got worried. But all is good now. That loving sucks though. I can kind of see their reasons(IP protection and all of that jazz), but still man. For the miracle they pulled I'd have given them a slap on the wrist just for appearance sake and called it a day.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
gently caress, double post.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

kemono friends killed that penguin

penguin was already dead, kemono brought it joy in the last moments of its life

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
anime: successfully triggered supernormal stimulus in both man and beast

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

penguin was already dead, kemono brought it joy in the last moments of its life

rip grape-kun.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

doomrider7 posted:

My heart briefly stopped when I read that as Kodansha(Slime's secondary producer) and got worried. But all is good now. That loving sucks though. I can kind of see their reasons(IP protection and all of that jazz), but still man. For the miracle they pulled I'd have given them a slap on the wrist just for appearance sake and called it a day.

It's unlikely that the adventures of slime boy and friends would be hosed with even if that were to happen since its an adaptation. Kemeno Friends probably got screwed over because the mobile game developers wanted more control over the story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KoB posted:

rip grape-kun.

the unfortunate truth is that they ultimately were not able to perform surgery on a grape

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's unlikely that the adventures of slime boy and friends would be hosed with even if that were to happen since its an adaptation. Kemeno Friends probably got screwed over because the mobile game developers wanted more control over the story.

Ah ok. I hate to bring back around to this, but GS has had just about every major Anituber do a video on it and several other none anime tubers talk about it hence the whole popularity issue thing. I know WHY they discuss it, it's YouTube and it'a controversial topic so it's easy as loving hell views. But in a season with so many great shows that THAT is the one that gets latched on to offends me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anime youtubers suck rear end

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, a show doing something GROSS AND SHOCKING to get some cheap discourse and eyeballs around it is neither a new phenomenon nor one contained to anime. It's annoying that the poo poo exists and that it gets attention that way, but there's not all that much to say about it. Not worth dwelling on, IMO, just watch and boost the stuff that's genuinely good and has real staying power.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Ah ok. I hate to bring back around to this, but GS has had just about every major Anituber do a video on it and several other none anime tubers talk about it hence the whole popularity issue thing. I know WHY they discuss it, it's YouTube and it'a controversial topic so it's easy as loving hell views. But in a season with so many great shows that THAT is the one that gets latched on to offends me.
dont watch anitubers except for the one lady that puts out a video about an 80s magical girl show once every six months

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

that one facebook group that everyone posts the popularity charts from has it below bloom into you.

More recently it fell off the top ten entirely, which is interesting because it was #1 for a few weeks when the season began.

I'm just happy Saki finally made it onto these lists

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm glad that this season has taught everyone that Yuu Koito is the goodest girl there ever was

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm glad that the people agree on the best zombie girl.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

More recently it fell off the top ten entirely, which is interesting because it was #1 for a few weeks when the season began.

Preistess being ranked so high offends me since she's not just bland, but such a blatant waifu wish fulfillment fantasy.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, a show doing something GROSS AND SHOCKING to get some cheap discourse and eyeballs around it is neither a new phenomenon nor one contained to anime. It's annoying that the poo poo exists and that it gets attention that way, but there's not all that much to say about it. Not worth dwelling on, IMO, just watch and boost the stuff that's genuinely good and has real staying power.

My main issue is that you have "Intellectual" channels like Wisecrack and this one other channel that seems to focus on fantasy both give it attention in...positive ways? Not watched the video's but the it has more likes than dislikes and ANY video even SLIGHTLY critical on the GS gets slammed HARD with dislikes like you wouldn't believe. It's stuff like that that bothers me. It's giving intellectual cred to garbage.

Endorph posted:

dont watch anitubers except for the one lady that puts out a video about an 80s magical girl show once every six months

I don't watch any of them either outside of the occasional video on an anime that I do actually like. I mostly just skim to see what they offer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer x cow girl

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, Crunchyroll promotes GS, but it’s not like they haven’t been promoting Zombieland Saga as well. I’ve seen them post tons of pics from it on Twitter, and for one day they even turned the twitter account into a “zombie land saga appreciation” account where they posted nothing but ZLS stuff, which I don’t think they’ve done with GS?

The truth is CR promotes the stuff people like, just as much as the stuff people don’t. It’s just that people remember things that make them upset more than “ah good, they like the thing I like” that the promotion of the negative thing stands out more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
goblin slayer exists and the author of girls last tour drew cute fanart of it

the end

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like the anituber Replay Value because he really loves Hyouka and I like his videos about it. No idea what the rest of the his content is like tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guess it really was the girls last tour, because #cancelled #cancelled #cancelled #proud

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

goblin slayer exists and the author of girls last tour drew cute fanart of it

the end

no shock the nazi manga author likes most racist and fascist anime ever made, goblin slayer

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Agronox posted:

lmao at guido mista, the smelly teen dad to six kids being on the Best Boy list for a month

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can you not

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Davincie posted:

no shock the nazi manga author likes most racist and fascist anime ever made, goblin slayer
What is the purpose of this post

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elephant Parade posted:

What is the purpose of this post

Have you not realized >95% of Davincie's posts in the seasonal threads are troll posts?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What a spurious accusation, goonsir.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Have you not realized >95% of Davincie's posts in the seasonal threads are troll posts?

Just in the seasonal threads?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To be fair, he's a little more even handed in the other threads I've seen him post in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maybe one day when you’ve grown beyond the constraints of watching anime solely to see and judge the cuteness of characters you will be able to see my many contributions to the further critical discussion of anime on this forum such as:

the thread where people posts characters hands

the thread where people post cabbages (sadly shortlived)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i share some of dav's complaints sometimes but he also frequently tempts my anger so who can say if he's good or bad

this is now the fall davincie thread 2018

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait what am i doin

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Goblin Slayer (2018)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

maybe one day when you’ve grown beyond the constraints of watching anime solely to see and judge the cuteness of characters you will be able to see my many contributions to the further critical discussion of anime on this forum such as:

the thread where people posts characters hands

the thread where people post cabbages (sadly shortlived)
what if i posted a thread where people post pictures of characters with cabbages in their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How is Yuta x Rikka a thing, he has more chemistry with her mother.