Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gripweed posted:

If Trump actually does pull us out of Syria and Afghanistan, he'll have the best foreign policy record of any President in decades

It's not withdrawal that's the problem, but the execution of it. trump doesn't care about the details. he just wants it now because he needs to look smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

If they don't make any attempt to mitigate the fallout re: the Kurds that poo poo should be laid at his feet, however.

Personally I don't see any way to do this sans endless occupation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id agree if we were offering citizenship to all of the people who are absolutely hosed when we pull out, but hey they arent americans and its not like non Americans have ever mattered prior

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kidkissinger posted:

Personally I don't see any way to do it this sans endless occupation.

(I'm ok with blaming Trump for something that couldn't be avoided either way, personally)

But then, I'm not strictly speaking willing to give Trump credit for this if they do pull out since he's doing it for purely vain and narcissistic reasons. It's the platonic ideal of a stopped clock being right twice a day.

^ we should definitely be accepting a shitload of Kurdish refugees imo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone familiar with what the rules are for an “acting” SoD?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Id agree if we were offering citizenship to all of the people who are absolutely hosed when we pull out, but hey they arent americans and its not like non Americans have ever mattered prior

we did it pretty well when we were in nam. but trump hates anyone who isn't aryan so yeah, they are hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

idk. but my guess is the DHS lady is gonna get the axe soon.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Same as the rules in calvinball

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't want to watch this movie any longer... :gonk:

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/865274183223095296

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
there's no way to withdraw "the right way" because just like invading and occupying foreign countries, it turns out there's no actual "right way" to do it

the US was never going to be able to protect the kurds, and as wrong and awful as it is, the US never intended to either

the faster the US gets out, the better. we hosed the whole region up for decades, there's no making it right. the best thing we can do is leave

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Gripweed posted:

If Trump actually does pull us out of Syria and Afghanistan, he'll have the best foreign policy record of any President in decades

The Paris Climate Agreement, Iran nuclear deal, and rapprochement with Cuba might balance the scales a bit more than you are crediting.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RaySmuckles posted:

there's no way to withdraw "the right way" because just like invading and occupying foreign countries, it turns out there's no actual "right way" to do it

the US was never going to be able to protect the kurds, and as wrong and awful as it is, the US never intended to either

the faster the US gets out, the better. we hosed the whole region up for decades, there's no making it right. the best thing we can do is leave

Accepting Kurdish refugees should be a serious talking point imo, if Trump is gonna pull out of Syria and also not accept enough refugees to off-set the inevitable bloodbath he deserves to get slammed for it. Not because we should't leave, but because those people are hosed otherwise.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Gripweed posted:

Yes let’s forget all about Yemen and the fact that Trump took Obama’s drone program (which this thread gives him endless poo poo about) and loosened the rules of engagement by about an order of magnitude.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Accepting Kurdish refugees should be a serious talking point imo, if Trump is gonna pull out of Syria and also not accept enough refugees to off-set the inevitable bloodbath he deserves to get slammed for it. Not because we should't leave, but because those people are hosed otherwise.

lol if you think president neo-nazi is going to accept refugees from the mid-east.

granted, in a hypothetical democrat administration they'd also refuse to accept them too, just for decorous, optics reasons

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's not withdrawal that's the problem, but the execution of it. trump doesn't care about the details. he just wants it now because he needs to look smart.
Seems like it's a prime candidate for the military to go "well, look, we TRIED to do it how you wanted, but X, Y, and Z all happened and we couldn't keep to your timetable. We really tried, honest!" And by that point Trump will have forgotten about what he wanted them to do in the first place.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Surely he should have been 25th'ed immediately.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

lol if you think president neo-nazi is going to accept refugees from the mid-east.

granted, in a hypothetical democrat administration they'd also refuse to accept them too, just for decorous, optics reasons

I know he’s not gonna but we should still be arguing for it. :argh:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It feels like we're going to think back point in 20 years when something bad happens but you could say that for any decisions made by this administration.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This is your reminder that this is actually Trump's 700th day in office, and we are almost exactly 1/2 of the way through his first term as president

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

sure, we should try and do that, talk it into existence, etc

but that's not something that president muslim ban is going to do

even still, pulling out in a callous, awful way is still better than forever war

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
The Mattis letter is stinging but trump wont even read it, let alone understand Iit. Amazing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sarsapariller posted:

This is your reminder that this is actually Trump's 700th day in office, and we are almost exactly 1/2 of the way through his first term as president

And, there have been at BARE MINIMUM 15 things that would have ended anyone else's Presidency.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

sure, we should try and do that, talk it into existence, etc

but that's not something that president muslim ban is going to do

even still, pulling out in a callous, awful way is still better than forever war

lets just hope that the number dead stays under a million, right?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

lets just hope that the number dead stays under a million, right?

pretty sure its already well over a million

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Lightning Knight posted:

If they don't make any attempt to mitigate the fallout re: the Kurds that poo poo should be laid at his feet, however.

I’m betting Trump is impeached before he can actually implement this.

If he does I wonder how the people happy about this will feel a month or two later when the Kurds and other tiny ethnic groups get genocided by an Edgrogen-Assad tag team.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

pretty sure its already well over a million

count starts anew today, but any price, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kidkissinger posted:

Personally I don't see any way to do this sans endless occupation.

with the war winding down it's possible Assad would be willing to offer the Kurds an okay deal if there was still the American speed bump to worry about

as it happens, Assad taking the Kurdish territory is still their best case scenario, it's just that his terms can now instead be "suck it up, losers, at least there'll still fuckin' BE Kurds in the parts I control"

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

yup, japan, famous fascist country.

I just wanna requote this because jeeeeeezus christ

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I found a shortlist of potential SoD replacements:

quote:

* Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR)
* David McCormick, combat vet, Bush II Treasury undersecretary, CEO of Bridgewater Associates
* Gen. Jack Keane
* Former Senator Jim Talent (R-MO)
* Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
* Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats

From Best to Worst which pick would do?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I know he’s not gonna but we should still be arguing for it. :argh:

Lol if u post here and don't support an independent Kurdistan

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

count starts anew today, but any price, right?

the liberal need to rehabilitate george w. bush extending even into stopping counting the number of deaths he's responsible for is the funniest goddamned thing

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Numlock posted:

I’m betting Trump is impeached before he can actually implement this.

If he does I wonder how the people happy about this will feel a month or two later when the Kurds and other tiny ethnic groups get genocided by an Edgrogen-Assad tag team.

We can’t commit troops to every part of the world that goes to poo poo. We said Libya was going to be a massacre and ended up making it worse than it is. America is not a force for good in the world and it’s not our job to drop an army division anywhere we feel isn’t up to snuff.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

How about General Flynn if he doesn't get jailed?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Which one flips a Senate seat

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tom Cotton is literally the dumbest senator in congress and would be a yes man through and through. it cannot be stated enough he is dumb as a box of rocks

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Brb going to try to become SoD

Ya'll getting drafted

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

Keane is probably the least bad, his blood-gargling is well within normal military levels. Probably worse than Mattis.

Cotton and Graham are probably the worst, for somewhat different reasons.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the liberal need to rehabilitate george w. bush extending even into stopping counting the number of deaths he's responsible for is the funniest goddamned thing

im not trying to rehabilitate bush, im saying that the specific consequences of this decision, today, are going to be significant and will likely result in hundreds of thousands of dead. tracing back how we got to where we are today is, on some level, fruitless. the legitimacy of projecting power through military intervention is an entirely distinct conversation from what trump is doing, right now, in syria, which is a pathetic monstrosity from every angle. there is no justification for his action and in no sense is it positive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It really only took like a week of a bad stock market for a number of my rich guy co workers to get off the Trump train lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Secretary of Defense John Miller :patriot: