Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sarsapariller posted:

Alexa help me find more synonyms for moron

Aching pillock

one ball short of an orgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

shrach posted:

You'd have to figure that would be counter-intuitive anyway. From an investment point of view. If you were putting capital into a company that needs your money just to survive and reach a future date when they actually release a product, you wouldn't want to suck any money out before then.

Okay, they don't want to treat the pledges as profit like CIG already does with their exorbitant executive salaries. Where they hell do they expect to make a profit or at least break even on their investment? Are they going to take a cut after gold release? That's years away and the game is already presold!

Subscripitons to play SC? One of the bedrock promises was no subscriptions!

Continued ship sales throughout the life of the game? That's straight up pay to win and Chris said they'd stop at release.

Cosmetics? 5 dollar skins and loot boxes? That's not going to net them as much as ships but maybe after a few years if the game isn't DOA.

Are they confident enough in SC and SQ42 to think it will break all sales records and become the biggest game in history? It seems like this is the case. They might be thinking this is the next World of Warcraft/Second Life/Fortnite phenomena and they wanted to be cut in. They really shouldn't have drank the kool-ade.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lol no investor is putting 50 million into a game that has already sold 200 million dollars worth of copies and going "Yeah no, fam, don't give me any of that right-now money. I'll make it all back in a 10% cut of sales later."

Not even Donald Trump Jr. is dumb enough to believe that this game's gonna sell 500 million beyond what they've already sold. That's like, gigantic blockbuster movie numbers, from a hack rear end in a top hat who made Wing Commander The Movie.

They are absolutely here to grift as much as they can from the pledges from now on

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Question #1 posted:

GamesBeat: I’ve been working on my Game of the Year for this year. I figure, as long as you give me something I can put on my list, I don’t care how long it takes you to make it.

Way to take the gloves off there, Dean...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How's our Uncle Derek doing?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MMORPG.com: Cloud Imperium Raises an Additional $46M for Star Citizen & Squadron 42

Suzie Ford posted:

Cloud Imperium, the studio behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42, has obtained another $46M in funding from the Cloud Imperium Group private investment organization. According to Gamasutra, the funds will be used for promotion and development of Squadron 42, though some may be "funneled into Star Citizen and various business development initiatives".

The new funding initiative represents about 10% of the total amount collected for the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 ($496M). In addition, two new board members have joined, though Chris Roberts "retains full control of the Board and Group".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EvilMerlin posted:

Funny, because didn't you troll posting history not too long ago?

Stealthy ships are kinda fun.

You are obnoxious but I like this post and how it's a stealth ship and how the damage radar profile of the ship is exactly that of the stealth airplanes we have in today's world.

I know you try to help Star Citizen and that's cool, but you can't even post something without it looking like derivative work a 9 year old would have had a fever dream over and made a comic book story out of the backs of their homework pages full of all this "original art" for their project that totally-for-real was going to be made because the child said so.

This 9 year old boy is literally CR, except he's using this dream to just scrape money out of people. He doesn't play his own game, has no idea if any of it is possible (and doesn't care), he's all on for the cash.

If you don't believe it, well I guess you can go read where CIGs big merry Christmas to the community is more ships to buy.

Merry Christmas backers. You earned it! :allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

If you have a tire fire and you get an investor to throw you a thousand dollars for that tire fire, then that someone is not stupid and in fact the tire fire was worth at least ten thousand dollars.

Ironclad logic, investors are never retarded
https://www.cbinsights.com/research/startup-failure-post-mortem/

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

So the Forbes article pointed out that Star Citizen is reaching 500 total staff. Literally comitting one of the most egregious sins of that more programmers will give them quicker release times on the game. I can't imagine how many are just straight out of college and this is their first gig.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Agony Aunt posted:

Some are dreaming that SQ42 will sell anywhere between 5 and 20 million copies if the game is marketed right and if its a good game. Well, that's two ifs, and a third is are there actually so many people out there that would actually be interested in this, even if its a decent game. Possibly?

Never.

Reasons:
- Niche genre
- Has this kickstarter/crowdfunding stench. Yes, we got some decent games out of crowdfunding, but not a single one was a multi million dollar smash hit. If the devs had something like this up their sleeves they wouldn't use crowdfunding in the first place.
- Even if the reason is poor optimization and hilariously overblown assets, you need a beefy PC...
- ... which leads to next problem: no console port. Not a single title of the 50 best selling games (you need to move ~16 million copies to even enter that list) is a PC exclusive

If you want mass market appeal the whole premise of SQ42/SC is flawed, you won't spawn some kind of mass phenomenon with a space sim these days. What came somewhat close in terms of scenario was CoD: Infinite Warfare, and that sold about half of Black Ops III and the Activision Execs said it "didn't resonate with fans", so go figure.

And now comes CR, with a technically outdated space sim, with actors nobody knows today (except for Mark Hamill, probably), a troubled history and as a PC exclusive? In my opinion they can consider themselves lucky if they sell one million fresh units and I doubt even that, most people that were interested already bought it, me included.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 21, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

So the Forbes article pointed out that Star Citizen is reaching 500 total staff. Literally comitting one of the most egregious sins of that more programmers will give them quicker release times on the game. I can't imagine how many are just straight out of college and this is their first gig.

It's okay, they're making two games at once so it's not as bad!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
(Raises glass)

Ladies, Gentlemen, Ships, Bread and Nazis... to another two years of laughs, cheers!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Sooo... Money laundering?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Remember when the narrative was that there never were any investors and that Bootcha was full of poo poo?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
$200 million couldn't get even a fraction of the game out, not even a single system is in, zero game mechanics, no ideas for game mechanics, a horrid flight model, and a broken tech demo that can't stand on its own. It stands to reason that $50 million more will finish this fucker off and we'll have a perfect game. In fact it's such a sure thing they sure hire even more programmers.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Wise Learned Man posted:

Remember when the narrative was that there never were any investors and that Bootcha was full of poo poo?

Come on now, we have ALWAYS been at war with Eastasia!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

STAMP THAT DISSENT OUT! STAMP IT!

Backers are 100% okay with investment companies swooping in to carve up the company they dumped 200 million into

Yeah but CIG is the most transparent development studio ever where backers know everything going on with the company. I'm sure you can find the YouTube video where they talked about this upcoming deal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Where the hells that $496 million number come from?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay, I've been telling people I would make an in-game Org for a while and the time has finally come.

Please PM me to become part of SNOOTCO, the Snoot.com board of directors and also co-owners of Cloud Imperium Games

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/SNOOTCO

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hot balls man no homo posted:

Sooo... Money laundering?

This was actually brought up earlier in the thread because of the way in which the crowdfunded money is increasing. The rate and steady climb suggests textbook money laundering.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

We are a corporation into hardcore roleplay

You may refer to us as the "Men in black"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, I've been telling people I would make an in-game Org for a while and the time has finally come.

Please PM me to become part of SNOOTCO, the Snoot.com board of directors and also co-owners of Cloud Imperium Games

Don't you have to actually own the game to join? I would join but i'm in no way buying the $45 package until this game is version 1.0.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I said come in! posted:

Don't you have to actually own the game to join? I would join but i'm in no way buying the $45 package until this game is version 1.0.

Beats me lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Beats me lol

It looks like you have to.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

I think you need an intervention :ohdear:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

I think you need an intervention :ohdear:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hav posted:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings an arrows of outrageous goons,
or to take arms against a dead gay comedy forum,
And by opposing end them?
To post; to shitpost;
No more; and by a post to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To post, to shitpost;
To post: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that posting of facts what games may come

etc.

We doing Shakespeare now? Jeez, ok.
Once more onto the beach, dear whales, once more

I'm implying, you see, that the whales are beaching themselves on the shores of Chris Roberts' inadequacy.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

bird with big dick posted:

Where the hells that $496 million number come from?

I have no loving clue. Even if you got back the original cost of the original cost of everything they've bought with the pledges and exactly zero percent of the work they've done was wasted, it would still be only worth 207 million tops. But the furniture has been used, their computers become more and more dated as the years go by, old employees leave and take their experience with them, everything is reworked a million times, stuff like the Illfonic work get tossed, demos like the Sand Worm are used for funding and nothing else, they have to spend millions every year on cons... so there is more than your average amount of waste.

that near 500 million valuation has to come from what they expect to earn from finishing the game and it being a massive hit. And I have no loving clue what they're seeing or what they've been shown to make them think that. I'm thinking that Chris might have flim-flammed these investors with weapons-grade hand-wavium.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Star Citizen: A Long Expected Error

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Deadguy2322 posted:

Receivership.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

that near 500 million valuation has to come from what they expect to earn from finishing the game and it being a massive hit. And I have no loving clue what they're seeing or what they've been shown to make them think that. I'm thinking that Chris might have flim-flammed these investors with weapons-grade hand-wavium.

(The 500 million valuation is so they can take a 50 million loan and Chris can go out and say he only sold 10% of the company, with X level of commensurate new bosses. Nobody believes that it is a real valuation. )

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Okay, they don't want to treat the pledges as profit like CIG already does with their exorbitant executive salaries. Where they hell do they expect to make a profit or at least break even on their investment? Are they going to take a cut after gold release? That's years away and the game is already presold!

Subscripitons to play SC? One of the bedrock promises was no subscriptions!

Continued ship sales throughout the life of the game? That's straight up pay to win and Chris said they'd stop at release.

Cosmetics? 5 dollar skins and loot boxes? That's not going to net them as much as ships but maybe after a few years if the game isn't DOA.

Are they confident enough in SC and SQ42 to think it will break all sales records and become the biggest game in history? It seems like this is the case. They might be thinking this is the next World of Warcraft/Second Life/Fortnite phenomena and they wanted to be cut in. They really shouldn't have drank the kool-ade.

Isn't there some adage about how inherited wealth gets thrown away? You are faced with an option on these investors.

A) They know what they are doing.
B) They don't know what they are doing.

Based on the fact that these people have given Chris Roberts money I am going with option B). Based on this I'm not going to struggle too hard thinking about their reasoning.

Something that has not been addressed in these many press releases is what exactly are the benefits here for CIG. Why doesn't Chris just go to the bank and borrow $46m for two years. Surely Chris could pitch up with a few jpegs, get a loan for $46m, pay back around $49m in two years when the game is released. Reddit is always telling us that Chris is a multi-millionaire. Why doesn't Chris use some of his personal wealth that we all know he has?

Surely this 10% stake comes with some added expertise or some sort of benefit to the company other than just straight cash... Dragons' Den / Shark Tank style. Nope, it's just straight cash from people who probably would have preferred to remaining anonymous Cayman Islanders.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

I have no loving clue. Even if you got back the original cost of the original cost of everything they've bought with the pledges and exactly zero percent of the work they've done was wasted, it would still be only worth 207 million tops. But the furniture has been used, their computers become more and more dated as the years go by, old employees leave and take their experience with them, everything is reworked a million times, stuff like the Illfonic work get tossed, demos like the Sand Worm are used for funding and nothing else, they have to spend millions every year on cons... so there is more than your average amount of waste.

like I've mentioned before, they are using pre-orders to estimate the total post launch purchases

$500m is actually small, since chris himself believes the franchise to be worth billions

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Sarsapariller posted:

(The 500 million valuation is so they can take a 50 million loan and Chris can go out and say he only sold 10% of the company, with X level of commensurate new bosses. Nobody believes that it is a real valuation. )

Doesn’t seem the smartest course of action with the lawsuit looming and all.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

still holdin out for that goonrathi invitation tbh

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris probably thinks he just hand waved his way to a lifeline and who cares if it costs 10% of the revenue from now on, he's gonna make a billion dollars on this.

If the investors have any kind of sense at all, they have a clause where they basically get his whole loving company if he fails to deliver, and they think they just bought three game studios for less than a year's worth of operating costs.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

still holdin out for that goonrathi invitation tbh

same but I think it's dead, Jim

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

tuo posted:

the archer is strong with this one

Lemme guess...CRobbers played Titanfall for a few minutes, then janked his hands around and demanded mech suits in his game.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Chris probably thinks he just hand waved his way to a lifeline and who cares if it costs 10% of the revenue from now on, he's gonna make a billion dollars on this.

If the investors have any kind of sense at all, they have a clause where they basically get his whole loving company if he fails to deliver, and they think they just bought three game studios for less than a year's worth of operating costs.

Chris Roberts posted:

During this process we were introduced to Clive Calder and his son Keith, who have both been interested in the confluence of entertainment with the ability to directly connect with an audience online. Clive founded the most successful independent music company, Zomba, which was home to some of the biggest music acts in the world. Keith is an independent film producer whose company Snoot Entertainment’s most recent films are the critically acclaimed Blindspotting and the Academy Award-nominated Anomalisa. During our first meeting, we got on like a house on fire, with Clive telling me about how he wished that when he built Zomba you could have connected to the fans of an artist bypassing the myriad of media gatekeepers in the way Star Citizen does, and which wasn’t possible 15 years ago. Keith and I swapped war stories about the film industry and talked about how refreshing it is to be able to utilize crowdfunding to create a project that normally would fly against what is currently considered mainstream.

During the course of these discussions it became clear to me that if Clive and Keith joined us as investors in our company, we’d have true partners that respected what we had built, but also fully understood the ins and outs and the patience required with a business based on creating entertainment. Taking in like-minded partners helps us solve the need of funding the marketing and release of Squadron 42

Basically, Chris sold the Calders on the idea of infinitely milking whales without having to deliver an actual product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

Every time I see this picture I shiver. I would hate to be the person within a video game community who has made a community where people feel like this is the level they needed to go to do "defend" something.

I know that statistically the chances of a closet nerd fearful of the sun is hiding underneath all that getup, but it's scary because it implies the possibility of irreversible harm and damage a person could do to another person. :(

Only the most serious operators pose in sweat pants and a windbreaker.