Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
As far as I can tell, The Feed is a kind of Australian Daily Show, and both Hing and Alex work on it as their day jobs. Unsurprisingly, if you dig around, you can find Ben and Edan and various other Dragon Friends/FTAGH regulars doing cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

In related news, the most recent episode of bst.png has Demi rolling an RPG character in honor of her Dragon Friends taping in the FATAL system

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Working through ftagh in reverse order and I’m enjoying the slow reveal of the enigma that is Michael Hing. I lost it when he tried to casually float by the notion of heating up an apple in the microwave

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Working through ftagh in reverse order and I’m enjoying the slow reveal of the enigma that is Michael Hing. I lost it when he tried to casually float by the notion of heating up an apple in the microwave

i love how multiple people now (myself included) have basically looked to FTAGH as backstory to dragon friends - since the core mystery of Dragon Friends is 'why is Hing like this?'

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

eke out posted:

i love how multiple people now (myself included) have basically looked to FTAGH as backstory to dragon friends - since the core mystery of Dragon Friends is 'why is Hing like this?'

The same thing sorta happens if you've ever heard Hing's standup (for example the bit about sending his girlfriend a dick pic from the internet and thinking she wouldnt immediately know its not him even after he did some editing and cropping). The stories seem made up until you've listened to FTAGH and then you realize that no, that sounds exactly like Hing logic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What I love is that that’s not even the point or gimmick of the podcast, it’s just a genuinely funny podcast that works on its own premise; but every now and then you get a little bonus that causes Ben to say “wait”

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Go RV! posted:

In related news, the most recent episode of bst.png has Demi rolling an RPG character in honor of her Dragon Friends taping in the FATAL system

I'm going to regret asking this, but does anyone know what the parts of character creation that Tom said were too hosed to include are?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ainsley McTree posted:

What I love is that that’s not even the point or gimmick of the podcast, it’s just a genuinely funny podcast that works on its own premise; but every now and then you get a little bonus that causes Ben to say “wait”

Ben and Hing make a fantastic duo because Hing perceives the world like a space alien, whereas Ben perceives the world like a completely normal seven year old.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yea it's a really funny 'let's riff on silly things we see on Craigslist' podcast that just happens to have a reoccurring segment where Hing says something absolutely loving insane as if it's normal and they all have to deal with that for a moment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Funny enough I was just listening to the 'say you want to microwave...an apple for example' episode and I forgot it came on the heels of 'mom didn't want anyone in the same room as the microwave when it was going' and Ben pointing out she's apparently a doctor. So ya know, it's at least genetic.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Yea it's a really funny 'let's riff on silly things we see on Craigslist' podcast that just happens to have a reoccurring segment where Hing says something absolutely loving insane as if it's normal and they all have to deal with that for a moment.

The absolute best is when that happens but Hing is actually completely correct, like I just got up to an episode where he explains the actual origin of teddy bears and no one believes him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Organza Quiz posted:

The absolute best is when that happens but Hing is actually completely correct, like I just got up to an episode where he explains the actual origin of teddy bears and no one believes him.

yea Hing is a master of 'not being wrong but describing the thing so badly it sounds fake' just as much as he is of insane 'you know, when you nuke an apple so it's softer' moments.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey speaking of Free To A Good Home, does anyone know why so many episodes are missing? Defamation issues?? It's mostly in the first block of them but I'm way in deep now and just came across another skipped episode number.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have a feeling it's just that they were absolutely terrible at recording and lost a bunch of episodes but kept the numbering. They do mention it a couple of times I think.

I think in particular they did live recordings that failed to actually record.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That was just one show, unless there are other ones that they didn't talk about at all.

A friend pointed out that the early missing episodes are all co-hosted by the same guy while Ben was away, so that might have something to do with it?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
good insight from a listener in episode 88 FTAGH

Jenkins: "Somebody had a great point about your brain the other day, a listener. They were like 'Michael Hing routinely understands about 80% of something quite complicated, but then the other 20% is so disastrously wrong that it kind of cancels out that 80.'"
Hing: "That's fair...I've read a lot of first paragraphs of books."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Season 4 finale is out

I don't think I can wait three months for season 5

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think they’ll probably do a Christmas episode at least right? Those are usually fun, if for nothing else, watching people smack down Dave as he tries to gently caress with the DM as a player

Also for froyo, who appears to just be freezo +1, stats-wise

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think there's a stat sheet for Froyo somewhere on the DF wiki, and his stats are literally 8s for str/dex/con and 18s for int/wis/cha

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Listening I wanted to see if Dave still reads this thread and ask him a question. Now that it's over I've completely forgotten what it was, except maybe, "Were the guests in on the secret from the original performance?"

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think they’ll probably do a Christmas episode at least right?

Dave mentions it in the outro, yeah.

Speaking of Dungeon Dave, his 9/11 joke nearly killed me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It was a pretty amazing example of "one person in the group makes an unacceptable joke, somebody else roasts them to bail them out"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Araki posted:

Dave mentions it in the outro, yeah.

Speaking of Dungeon Dave, his 9/11 joke nearly killed me.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Once again Dungeon Dave proves himself the most dangerous of the dragon friends when he’s untethered from responsibility.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I forgot how absolutely golden the christmas episodes are. The first one still has two of my favorite riffs of the entire series.

"Surely want of a necklace is an emotion" and "Those are your parents," "Oh is the baby me???"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My favorite yulemas gag was when they forced Hing to improv ten toys. He actually made real jokes with half of them, and then Ben just wrote "cum" in huge letters for the audience.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I forgot how absolutely golden the christmas episodes are. The first one still has two of my favorite riffs of the entire series.

"Surely want of a necklace is an emotion" and "Those are your parents," "Oh is the baby me???"

I've been re-listening to this podcast from season 1 and the first yulemas episode is an absolute showcase of Hing being a space alien; everyone's so ruthless toward him, it's excellent (and presumably very cathartic for them after putting up with freezo's antics for two seasons). All the yulemas episodes are fun though; I'm glad dave gets an opportunity to blow off some steam, and I enjoy how the happy ending for all of them is the dragon friends accidentally canceling christmas

I'm up to the beginning of season 3 now, and the whole snagglepuss/droopy dog/strahd thing from s2 was just as funny as it was the first time, even knowing it was coming. One thing I did forget, however, was the pederast cleric from season one (which apparently got gross enough that they cut some of it from the podcast? woof). Even re-listening, I can't quite tell what happened there; seems like it started as a throwaway joke about being attracted to bobby that heightened in the absolute worst direction. But he got beat to death by a room full of robots so it all worked out i guess

Also, I miss Benny; his musical re-caps in season one were stellar ("and some other stuff that I missed when my domino's arrived"), and he makes for a very fun voice of reason when the gang gets too out of hand.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 15, 2018

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Some great Tim Winton content in the new ep.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm fifteen minutes into this episode and this is far and away the most confused I've ever been by this show.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Haven’t listened to the latest one yet but I’m continuing my re-listen, and I somehow managed to forget how balls out wonderful the whole “put it all on red” sequence from season 3 was. I think it is possibly the most quintessential dragon friends moment that the podcast has had. Also Edan plays maniacal addicts very well, he had a good turn as a coked-up npc (or maybe it was baston, I forget) in the ToA stream too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Absolutely my favorite moment on the show. It really just turns into them actually gambling and Hing's maniacal loving laughter at their failure is peak Michael Hing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's easily my favorite episode and probably the one I would recommend as the starter episode for anyone who's new

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Since we're on a break from Dragon Friends, everyone should listen to Free To A Good Home and Story Club to fill in the gaps.

(Why hasn't Hing been on Story Club yet?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And why hasn’t edan been on ftagh?

I’m working my backwards through it; I lost it at the Jordan raskopoulos wacdonalds epidode and I have no idea why

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m working my backwards through it; I lost it at the Jordan raskopoulos wacdonalds epidode and I have no idea why

wacdonalds is literally one of the funniest bits on any podcast I've listened to.

Just dudes shouting "WAH" puns at each other and cackling. It's such a good ep.

It's like how one of the best bigsofttitty episodes is the Club Penguin one where the whole first chunk is just 'guess what name got wordfiltered'.

"MEAT HOLE?!"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

inthesto posted:

Since we're on a break from Dragon Friends, everyone should listen to Free To A Good Home and Story Club to fill in the gaps.

(Why hasn't Hing been on Story Club yet?)

Hing has definitely talked about doing Story Club on FTAGH so I guess he just hasn't since it became a podcast?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ainsley McTree posted:

This post is making me realize that Hing would be amazing on Story Club and Edan would be amazing on Free to a Good Home

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

This post is making me realize that Hing would be amazing on Story Club and Edan would be amazing on Free to a Good Home

I mean, ftagh occasionally becomes Hing’s story club when something triggers a weird memory about his family.

But yeah, more edan please. He has my favorite laugh in the podcast business (sorry Paul f Tompkins, you’ve been dethroned)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

LentThem posted:

good insight from a listener in episode 88 FTAGH

Jenkins: "Somebody had a great point about your brain the other day, a listener. They were like 'Michael Hing routinely understands about 80% of something quite complicated, but then the other 20% is so disastrously wrong that it kind of cancels out that 80.'"
Hing: "That's fair...I've read a lot of first paragraphs of books."

Gonna admit this: This was actually me in one of the Twitch chats for a Tomb of Annihilation streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ainsley McTree posted:

He has my favorite laugh in the podcast business (sorry Paul f Tompkins, you’ve been dethroned)

I guess I'm gonna have to check out this podcast.