Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's weird because I still have my GCSE text book and it has modules covering a shitload of other 20th century stuff (post WW1 US, Russian Civil War and Soviet Union, early Cold War) that should also have been covered if we didn't get just two history lessons a week depending on the term too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So duck and cover wasn't bullshit.

Also hell of a difference between 2 and 4 there if you're standing up. I guess the question is how long between you seeing the flash and the shockwave hitting you

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The actual government information given to the two characters in Where The Wind Blows still takes the cake though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

The actual government information given to the two characters in Where The Wind Blows still takes the cake though.

“...what’s misc?”

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's weird because I still have my GCSE text book and it has modules covering a shitload of other 20th century stuff (post WW1 US, Russian Civil War and Soviet Union, early Cold War) that should also have been covered if we didn't get just two history lessons a week depending on the term too.

Basically, until recently there were two main GCSE History formats: Schools History Project (SHP) and Modern. You did modern, which had a breadth study paper, a depth study paper and a coursework/ controlled assessment element.

Departments get to chose which specific topics/periods they cover from a list of topics the exam board offers. As an example, the last school I taught the Modern History course at did:

Depth study: the rise of the Nazis
Breadth study: the Cold War
Controlled assessment: Britain 1920-70

SHP was different in that it focussed on a thematic study and offered some non-modern options

The new GCSEs are basically the two old formats rammed together and no controlled assessment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

You don't have an anti-nuke sack pile?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey man you got to pick that or the spare doors and white paint.

Lobster God posted:

The new GCSEs are basically the two old formats rammed together and no controlled assessment.

Is it bad I am not surprised now it's done this way?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

EvilMerlin posted:

Someplace, somewhere, a snare drum and cymbals are making a noise or two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LLQ39XhRwY&t=5s

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is it bad I am not surprised now it's done this way?

Nah that just means you're paying attention to our glorious masters. You'll be unsurprised to learn that the new one has much more content and has harder exams. And no, most schools have not been able to increase teaching time to account for this. Which is cool.

I really don't like GCSEs.

Still, there have been worse ideas (See the original Thatcher era plan for KS3 National Curriculum and Gove's original proposals for the same).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god I dread to think what pro-Imperial bollocks those things would have in them.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god I dread to think what pro-Imperial bollocks those things would have in them.

They were all Britain all the time and attempted to basically dictate every lesson topic that should be taught. Naturally the list of topics was ridiculously long and utterly unfeasible to teach and the original version was never really implemented (because it was essentially impossible). It was reformed rapidly.

And yes, teachers did point that out during the consultation phase but wtf would they know?

Gove basically wanted to do something very similar, but was forced into backing down by pressure from the unions and academics. I went to a cpd event featuring a session with Sir Richard Evans and Peter Mandler (at the time president of the RHS) shortly after this and apparently they had a pretty... intense conversation with Gove.

The KS3 curriculum as it stands is pretty flexible, which is good, although still weighted heavily towards British history.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

i have no idea but i think i read in maron lorenz's book that they had no military legal system at all. i would be interested in hearing where she got this information

From reading the Iron Kingdom, I remember it saying that Brandenburg lost all coherent military force pretty drat fast, thanks to trying to stay neutral to all sides, which all sides then loving ignored to trample all across the land.

After this, Brandenburg continued to fight everyone, but guerilla-style. Their armed forces were more like organized bandits, plundering their own peasants as often as they would ambush and slaughter enemies.

So no wonder that it looks like they had no military legal system. The Kurfürst of Brandenburg during this time was apparently so scared by his own forces, he stayed the gently caress away until the 30 Years War ended

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Lobster God posted:

The KS3 curriculum as it stands is pretty flexible, which is good, although still weighted heavily towards British history.

Question about history teaching, albeit from an American...It's Britain. Wouldn't you want (or at least expect) a British history curriculum to be heavily weighted towards British history?

(For me, and I can't think I'm alone about this, even as someone who loved history, learning about the history of places I'd never be was an entirely separate mental task from learning about the history of the place (city, state, country) where I lived, because it was the history of where I was and sometimes still had an impact on me now.)

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

Question about history teaching, albeit from an American...It's Britain. Wouldn't you want (or at least expect) a British history curriculum to be heavily weighted towards British history?

(For me, and I can't think I'm alone about this, even as someone who loved history, learning about the history of places I'd never be was an entirely separate mental task from learning about the history of the place (city, state, country) where I lived, because it was the history of where I was and sometimes still had an impact on me now.)

(Full disclosure, I'm somewhat biased on this due to my research interests/focus of my qualifications- I'm all about that global turn)

On the one hand, yes, a degree of national history is useful/ necessary in order to allow pupils to begin to understand the country they live in and the historical roots of the society and institutions of government etc.

The issue I have with the NC is that it both tries to do too much and too little. Basically it's expected in secondary school to cover from the Norman invasion to the Cold War, so a lot of topics get treated in a pretty cursory fashion.

But it's almost all domestic history (and in England, specifically English) and anything beyond the shores of Britain gets incredibly short shrift. Usually slavery and the civil rights movement and maybe a short bit on empire.

But that's a problem given that Britain has been quite... involved in the rest of the world, which has had an impact on this country as well.

The vast majority of British pupils end their formal history education without ever covering the French revolution, to give one example, or with any idea about the history of Ireland.

And the empire is covered inadequately at best because there simply isn't time to do it justice.

It's parochial, encourages an anglo-centric viewpoint and frankly offers an incomplete view of history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What weird twist of French vocabulary led to major general being subordinate to lt. general?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

What weird twist of French vocabulary led to major general being subordinate to lt. general?
in the seventeenth century a lieutenant general is the highest rank there is because he acts as the lieutenant ("lieu tenant," "holding the place of") the head of state who employs him

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
There really isn't time to cover everything that you need to cover to create a young adult with a complete view of history in the time allotted to teach history between KS1 and KS3 and doing a GCSE in it will barely help. Maybe it's time to forget the Romans and the Normans and the Tudors and just kick the curriculum off with the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

in the seventeenth century a lieutenant general is the highest rank there is because he acts as the lieutenant ("lieu tenant," "holding the place of") the head of state who employs him

Well then how does it also mean the most junior officer grade. While we're on it, why do Brits pronounce it like that

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

zoux posted:

I forget where I heard this, but!

The full name of the rank was sergeant major general, originally. He was the general responsible for the things a sergeant major was responsible for in lower echelon formations, like discipline and troop training etc.

Brigadiers or Brigadier Generals came even later, to explain the difference.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

FrangibleCover posted:

There really isn't time to cover everything that you need to cover to create a young adult with a complete view of history in the time allotted to teach history between KS1 and KS3 and doing a GCSE in it will barely help. Maybe it's time to forget the Romans and the Normans and the Tudors and just kick the curriculum off with the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution.

Yeah that's what I keep coming back to. I feel bad about thinking it because those topics are interesting and have relevance for the deeper historical roots of our state and society BUT I can't help but feel the Enlightenment onwards in more depth might be a better approach for a general historical education programme up to KS3.

The vast majority of history graduates and teachers are modern historians anyway... but then reducing teaching of earlier periods won't inspire kids to learn about them. It's difficult.

And KS1 and 2 have really sidelined history in recent years. I've had year 7s start who can just about name WW2 but had never been taught any other history.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Spacewolf posted:

I forget where I heard this, but!

The full name of the rank was sergeant major general, originally. He was the general responsible for the things a sergeant major was responsible for in lower echelon formations, like discipline and troop training etc.

MilHist Thread III, 11th April last year, where someone had the same question. I'm going back through and just happened to land on it today.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remember when SKY attempted to cover the history of the British Isles and it's people in six one hour documentations full of talking heads?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spacewolf posted:

Those are the ones who travel back in time to regency-era Scotland?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember when SKY attempted to cover the history of the British Isles and it's people in six one hour documentations full of talking heads?

No and you can't make me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Well then how does it also mean the most junior officer grade. While we're on it, why do Brits pronounce it like that

The lieutenant commands in place of the captain or whoever

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lobster God posted:

No and you can't make me

The best thing about that was you know they were just randomly calling and asking celebrities to show.

Man Drunk History is so much better.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Can anyone recommend me a book on Indian military history, particularly pre-colonial India? It feels like China and Japan get all the Asian military history attention.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man Drunk History is so much better.

My friends tell me that going drinking with me is like drunk history except with a sliding scale of what language I'm speaking.

I kind of assume that comment also applies to most of this thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Don Gato posted:

My friends tell me that going drinking with me is like drunk history except with a sliding scale of what language I'm speaking.

haha, mea culpa

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don Gato posted:

What subject would you pick by the way if for some reason you suddenly were on it?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember how the History of Britain podcast is at like 300 episodes after 5 years and hasn’t even reached the Norman invasion yet?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's too much history. Schools should just give up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

P-Mack posted:

There's too much history. Schools should just give up.

I'm American, and none of my grade schooling said more about the Civil War than "The North invaded the South and beat it, and Abraham Lincoln was a cool dude until he got shot. The slaves were freed afterwards."

Take a wild guess which part of America I'm from.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cythereal posted:

I'm American, and none of my grade schooling said more about the Civil War than "The North invaded the South and beat it, and Abraham Lincoln was a cool dude until he got shot. The slaves were freed afterwards."

Take a wild guess which part of America I'm from.

I went through the Florida public school system, at the height of Jeb! ramming crappy standardized tests down everyone’s throats, and we never actually studied either World War. It usually amounted to “We beat Germany, then there was the depression, then we beat Germany again and nuked Japan. Have a nice summer!”

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember how the History of Britain podcast is at like 300 episodes after 5 years and hasn’t even reached the Norman invasion yet?

The History of Byzantium podcast has been stuck at 1025AD for a few months, while he tours the city. The History of English podcast just hit the Norman invasion after six years, but at it started at proto-Indo-European.

After the short Jin reunification, why does Chinese history refer to the era as the Sixteen Kingdoms era, when there were more than 16 kingdoms in former Jin territory. Likewise, the period after the Tang dynasty is known as the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms era, but there were more than five dynasties and more than ten kingdoms. Is there some numerological significance to 5, 10, and 16 in Chinese history?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

What subject would you pick by the way if for some reason you suddenly were on it?

Most likely the Mexican Revolution or the Chinese century of humiliation. I'm pretty knowledgeable about those eras and most people don't know much about them, and since I still have friends that listen I'm not going to stop any time soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Got to get famous first. I believe in you man.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The BBC has occasionally produced good documentaries on British history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUM89s4N2BQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The BBC has occasionally produced good documentaries on British history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUM89s4N2BQ

lmao, this is great