Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Social Animal posted:

Not really but then again some people can debate if whether such a market even exists. If this game didn’t have the Quake name on it would it have even gotten the amount of players it has right now? It’s a really old style genre and very tough to make work in today’s gaming world. Didn’t Lawbreakers tank day one?

I could've sworn the FPS E-sports scene was still healthy with the boost from streaming services and a larger audience. I must be way behind the times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

CS is doing good.....COD exists.....that's kinda it. You can count PubG? MP FPS are in a weird spot.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm getting battle pass day 1. I have so much fun playing this game.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

I could've sworn the FPS E-sports scene was still healthy with the boost from streaming services and a larger audience. I must be way behind the times now.

I was referencing the "fast-paced arena shooter" part of your post. FPS esports games like CSGO are doing fine but nothing like Quake has really been able to breakthrough as well in recent years. We'll see how QC turns out in a few more months otherwise Diabotical might be the last arena fps release we'll see in a long time I bet.

Housh posted:

I'm getting battle pass day 1. I have so much fun playing this game.

Same I got back into it recently and I have about 3k platinum so no reason why I shouldn't spend those bad boys.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

ChickenHeart posted:

I could've sworn the game was doing well, though? Does QC even have anything for competition in the "fast-paced arena shooter" market?

Anecdotal thing, but I've got about 10 people on my friend list in-game and I would say only 2 or 3 of them have the Steam icon on their name, meaning the rest are presumably on the Beth launcher.

The worst thing I could say about this game is that anything outside of Duel isn't particularly fun.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Social Animal posted:

Not really but then again some people can debate if whether such a market even exists. If this game didn’t have the Quake name on it would it have even gotten the amount of players it has right now? It’s a really old style genre and very tough to make work in today’s gaming world. Didn’t Lawbreakers tank day one?

Your post makes me want to go back and play Warsow, but sadly it's not 2008 anymore. I wonder if Toxikk or Reflex Arena have anyone playing them... Toxikk looks like it has art on par with Quake Champions.

*checks Steamcharts*

:yikes:

... anyone wanna get together for a goonhouse? Toxikk seems to have a free to play limited version, at least.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Arena FPS are just not marketable anymore. The time for cutthroat Shooties 'n' Zoomies is long past.

Although I'd argue they really dropped the ball at critical moments for marketing QC, Reflex enjoyed a brief stint of popularity in the void between AFPS, but that's not a title that had any sort of marketing power behind it, so it was always destined to fade away, unfortunately.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Someone should build a tight, fast-paced arena fps as the obligatory multiplayer component for their single-player shootmans.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mindblast posted:

I wonder what the impact would be of it tanking. Would it fridge the quake ip indefinitely?
Most definitely. When the game was first announced they were talking about how it was reintroducing Quake to a new audience, and they would figure out where it went from there. If where it goes from here is "into the trash", then they're probably not going to rush to fish it out while Doom is still doing well.

Xenaero posted:

Arena FPS are just not marketable anymore. The time for cutthroat Shooties 'n' Zoomies is long past.
From what I've seen, it's more that the interest in retro-style FPS games has transitioned, for whatever reason, from multiplayer to singleplayer. Those excuse campaigns designed to advertise a game engine to prospective licensees have seem to have become a welcome, lightweight counterpart to overwrought COD-esque scriptfests, and as a result things like Dusk, Ion Maiden etc. have done quite well for themselves. Of course, most of those were low-budget indie titles, whereas QC, uh, isn't...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It'll never happen because games mostly suck now but if we ever get Quake V just make it an amazing single player campaign and make the multiplayer just exactly Quake III Arena except on the Quake V engine with the pretty graphics

People will say this is impossible or would cost one billion dollars, but I'm just asking them to do something that John Carmack did with four other guys in a year and essentially no budget.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Siege and overwatch are doing well afaik

The sad reality is that the audience at arena shooters’ peak was a fraction of the audience for any one of the currently popular FPS games. Q3a sold much less than 500,000 copies in a year or so. COD4 had 9 million players on PS4 in the leaked player numbers from last week. Fortnite may not technically be FPS but it undeniably wants the same audience

That plus the people who had a positive relationship with arena shooters are aging out of the desirable demographic

No producer with the money and marketing ability to truly resurrect the genre would allow devs to insist on a multiplayer component from a 20 year old game with no matchmaking, no user account progression, no microtransactions, and undifferentiated characters

The ship has sailed folks :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

extra stout posted:

People will say this is impossible or would cost one billion dollars, but I'm just asking them to do something that John Carmack did with four other guys in a year and essentially no budget.
I'm not sure which game you're specifically addressing here, so I'll just address most of 'em - Quake Live was a prolonged flop and Quakes 1-3 were the polar opposite of easy to bring into the world for a wide variety of non-financial reasons (technology issues, creative conflict, office politics etc.)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
There's a game called PWND that is basically a modern day rocket arena and it makes me sad it never got more than like 30 players concurrent. Its sense of humor can be a bit much, but it's a really solid shooter.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Halo is slow quake and we see how it's doing.

The difference between yesterday and today is everyone who could make a great Quake game are scattered across the hundreds of studios with hundreds of people on their team. The talent is far and thin and neutered.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

kaschei posted:

There is no more speed scaling but the minimum damage is higher. If you’re going over 320ups and hit someone you do 100 damage. That used to only happen at 500+ ups.

Yeah, that's a nerf. He used to do way more damage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This but make quad damage x4 again.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

This but make quad damage x4 again.

This must be why Quake Champions instead calls it "quud".

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Your post makes me want to go back and play Warsow, but sadly it's not 2008 anymore. I wonder if Toxikk or Reflex Arena have anyone playing them... Toxikk looks like it has art on par with Quake Champions.

*checks Steamcharts*

:yikes:

... anyone wanna get together for a goonhouse? Toxikk seems to have a free to play limited version, at least.

Warsow was amazing man. A shame the steam release never happened.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Honestly, now that it sounds like the game won't have as many annoying speedbumps to get back into another lobby after a game, I'll probably pick this up again. All the post-match nonsense really put me off playing.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Nothing will be quite like KotH-style duel servers. I hate having to queue knowing it could be 5 minutes or 5 seconds (and, if the latter, usually a rematch).

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I wish there was a way to queue for multiple modes. Like not just DM/TDM/Sacrifice/the other one, but all those *and* instagib and whatever other arcade modes are. I wanna do everything

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Patch is being pushed out on Steam. It's a 14 goddamn gig download, because Id and download caps haven't been on speaking terms for a long time.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Kins posted:

Patch is being pushed out on Steam. It's a 14 goddamn gig download, because Id and download caps haven't been on speaking terms for a long time.

14 gigs of bullshit and the game doesn't work, I'm not saying I can't find a match I'm saying that after the intro video it says 'services not available' and you cannot even use the menu, do offline or lan, or even customize your barbie doll

gently caress This Company, Fake Quake Suck.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

extra stout posted:

14 gigs of bullshit and the game doesn't work, I'm not saying I can't find a match I'm saying that after the intro video it says 'services not available' and you cannot even use the menu, do offline or lan, or even customize your barbie doll

It's always a bit off right after a patch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

extra stout posted:

settle down, Beavis

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Had to confirm this myself and yeah, seems like a 14.5 GB patch. A little much, unless I guess people already pay premium internet prices like me.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
That's a lot, but I'm assuming because they're doing holiday versions of the maps they gotta push out entirely new maps for the whole thing. Oof.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Patch Notes

Xenaero posted:

That's a lot, but I'm assuming because they're doing holiday versions of the maps they gotta push out entirely new maps for the whole thing. Oof.
Why do you think they’re doing holiday versions of anything?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uh, holy poo poo

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

boar guy posted:

uh, holy poo poo

kaschei posted:

Patch Notes

Why do you think they’re doing holiday versions of anything?

They have before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
lol i just opened like 300 backpacks and they just kept making GBS threads out legendaries. the duplicate rate seemed to be zero for a while, then suddenly i get "service unavailable".

someone hosed up.

e:
service back up and backpack dupe rate seems back to normal :/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

lol i just opened like 300 backpacks and they just kept making GBS threads out legendaries. the duplicate rate seemed to be zero for a while, then suddenly i get "service unavailable".

someone hosed up.

e:

yeah i got at least 20 legendaries out of those 266. 90% of the rest were rare and zero dupes

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
service not available again...

they best not be deleting all our ill gotten legendary vanities.

e:
oh right, matchmaking doesnt work and there's a massive memory leak.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 20, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Reddit going craaaaaazy

Also I didn’t realize 2v2 was that popular - lots of complaints about it being removed on reddit.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Social Animal posted:

StressedError

The team had several chances and almost two years of patience to turn this poo poo show around, eat my rear end syncerror

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
really good rollout

great timing too

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Jose Mengelez posted:

someone hosed up.

e:

drat I missed this I guess.

yeah 100 boxes and it's just commons

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 21, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't finish the 14gb patch because I slowed it down last night :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did SyncError ever figure out that nobody wants ten minutes of staring at bars going up/matchmaking timer/voting/waiting for players in between every ten minutes of actually playing a fast-paced arena shooter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Jabor posted:

Did SyncError ever figure out that nobody wants ten minutes of staring at bars going up/matchmaking timer/voting/waiting for players in between every ten minutes of actually playing a fast-paced arena shooter?

It's really the biggest issue with this game and the main thing keeping me from launching it more often. They need continuous lobbies and just a faster way to get in the game and playing without going through load screens and the main menu loading etc etc. It takes so drat long just to get into a match only for it to end soon and then have to go through the same process. It's one of those old man things of 'I can't believe how inferior this experience is to what we had 15 years ago'.

Just give us servers for every different mode that run continuously 24/7 and a browser to find them.