Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Are there any good knowledgeable LPs of Divinity: Original Sin (enhanced edition preferred) anywhere on the internet? I just wanna see someone who knows what they are doing play the game, the more they know about decisions, and the game in general, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So are there any funny smallish groups of people doing let’s plays anymore? Seems like everything’s moving to streaming and I prefer throwing a funny group LP on as background noise while I’m working.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

So are there any funny smallish groups of people doing let’s plays anymore? Seems like everything’s moving to streaming and I prefer throwing a funny group LP on as background noise while I’m working.

what's your tolerance for incompetent boobery

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ricdesi posted:

Don't know if I'm one of those streamers you've been seeing since I just got through playing Celeste for the first time back in October and had to ride that same difficulty curve all the way up, but if not I offer up my run through the A- and B-sides, as well as an attempt at the Flying Golden Strawberry to close it out: Enjoy, I hope?

Thanks for this, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

...You, uh, might want to revisit the tech behind your stream, though, because it's murdering your video.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Fedule posted:

Thanks for this, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

...You, uh, might want to revisit the tech behind your stream, though, because it's murdering your video.

Oh christ yes, a week or two after the final stream, I dug into the settings and realized I was only streaming at 1mbps, which meant Celeste and all its gorgeous little particle effects just strangled the hell out of the video quality. Shifted those settings up quite a bit and it's been a lot smoother sailing since.

And hey, glad you're enjoying it! I'd been curious about it for a while and my girlfriend got me a download code for my birthday back in the spring, so I thought "what the hell" and fell in love. I'm still pretty new to streaming (we're normally a group LP channel) but I think Celeste has been my favorite streamed game so far.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Have you seen all the StrawhatNO stuff?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Men Drinking Coffee? Also Smight streams mostly, but he's got a rotating cast of returning characters so it kinda feels like a group sometimes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I still think Super Beard Bros is pretty good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll just quote myself from the SBFP thread

RareAcumen posted:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any similar active Let's Play channels around? Seems like there are less and less of these every year.

Nalesh posted:

local group strawhatno is pretty good for that.

Cannot recommend the StrawhatNO enough. Do be warned that their earlier work is different because one member (Travis) left because he's too busy to be a part of the group- I wanna say it's voice acting?- and (Yoshi) the other one is just cursed as far as his schedule goes. That hasn't stopped him from joining in on the two Sonic LPs lately though, which I'm super thankful for because the dude's got the most infectious laugh I've ever heard. Check out some of their early stuff, it's a hoot. Especially the James Bond games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVITnVCmF9c&t=557s

Chorpsaway and FutureFriend are the last two I can recommend because they're basically a group effort and they both make their own LPs with them being in them more often than not. Chorps did Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm from 2 to 4, Katamari Damacy, 50Cent Blood on the Sand, along with both Gungrave games etc and FutureFriend has done Final Fight: Streetwise, The Bouncer, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories and he's now working on Indigo Prophecy. They've got more stuff but I think this post is already getting long enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHu17oT5IL8uXt8WXQ2E-rQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/FriendlyVanmen

And it's pretty easy to see if you'll like FF's stuff or not since VoiceofDog made a highlight reel of his videos on threat of death commission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgnrFGH0dQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5KFP3LkZAU

And there's also Chip Cheezum- AKA that guy who used to work at Volition and likes those Metal Gear and Uncharted games- and he also did an LP of The Wonderful 101 as well. Currently in the midst of uploading all the videos for the charity event him, General Ironicus and his wife, and VoidBurger have all been doing so the videos are kinda a mix of those and Super Mario Odyssey right now but eventually they'll get back to MGSV. Chip's got the superhuman ability of scrapping bad takes so he'll do like 7 runs of a level so he can actually get a decent run of MGR. Dude did an LP of Watchdogs so he'd have a grasp on how to LP Open-World games so MGSV and Super Mario Odyssey would go better.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs/playlists

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jamesman posted:

I still think Super Beard Bros is pretty good.

Yeah, I liked watching their old Kaizo videos, and the new Earthbound ones are nice. They have accrued a few too many injokes, but it's still fun.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

I think the Runaway Guys are pretty good. They mostly do Nintendo stuff, and they might occasionally be a bit loud, but they generally know what they're doing. Generally.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

bony tony posted:

Have you seen all the StrawhatNO stuff?

Hey these guys aren’t too bad!

What’s people’s thoughts on the Game Grumps? They seem to have thousands of videos to watch and the couple I watched weren’t awful.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

What’s people’s thoughts on the Game Grumps? They seem to have thousands of videos to watch and the couple I watched weren’t awful.

They tend to provoke a wide range of opinions. I like them in small doses. I think their House Party LP is loving riot though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My opinion is that they aren't actually in the LP business; they're comedians who use a game as a backdrop for an improv routine. Which is absolutely fine if that's what you're looking for; a bunch of their stuff is genuinely funny. What separates them from other comedic LPers is that their comedy rarely has to do with the game they're playing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Which of the Demon's Souls LPs would people recommend?

e: for a completionist playthrough from an experienced player I mean

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 20, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I find the Game Grumps the most enjoyable when there's a 'Best of [x gimmick]' video highlight to watch, because they're game efforts haven't been too inspiring in my experience.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bike tory posted:

This one
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ftpUY_ldBTanZ1LLEfGNqI68h5VfOxU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

bike tory posted:

Squint's is the only answer.
https://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls/

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RareAcumen posted:

I find the Game Grumps the most enjoyable when there's a 'Best of [x gimmick]' video highlight to watch, because they're game efforts haven't been too inspiring in my experience.

Here is a a particular favorite of mine, to get people started:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OuieI2fmrE

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Newer game grumps is better than older game grumps. They have been actually trying to be less lovely with some of their humor, which is a welcome change.

If you want something to put on in the background, I recommend SleepyCycles on youtube. He's an extremely Scottish, highly charming dude that plays a lot of roguelike type games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Here is a a particular favorite of mine, to get people started:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OuieI2fmrE

Here's another one that's more in line with what I was trying and failing to say before. The Game Grumps do fantastic bits but the below average skill and 10 minute videos are too many downsides for me personally.

Plan Z posted:

Not huge on the Game Grumps, but I loved when they did that video where they looked up the NES Mickey Mouse game on Youtube before playing it. The first video they saw was a bad AVGN ripoff. Erin then spent the rest of the video talking like one of those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

I was iffy on them when it was Arin and Jon (Sonic is the only one I really remember), but I loved them ever since Dan came on board. He's way less grating and far more pleasant. I've just never been a JonTron fan.

As others have said though, they are more comedians than Let's Players, especially now that Youtube has made full game playthroughs not worth it for them.

I'm perfectly fine with that myself. I don't watch or read LP's to see someone masterfully play a game for me, I prefer to be entertained. My favourite SSLP's and favourite Let's Players are more funny than skillful. That's personal preference though.

The compiliation videos also make for great background noise while I work on LP updates.

MillennialVulcan posted:

They tend to provoke a wide range of opinions. I like them in small doses. I think their House Party LP is loving riot though.

House Party is a treasure.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 21, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

FluxFaun posted:

If you want something to put on in the background, I recommend SleepyCycles on youtube. He's an extremely Scottish, highly charming dude that plays a lot of roguelike type games.

SleepCycles comin' in big havin' a swatch.

Is there a good Axiom Verge LP? I want informative with 100% completion, going into the story and all the usual jazz. I remember watching an LP years ago with two commentators and one of them sounded a bit like JordanKai.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone got recs for blind Souls game lps? Preferably multiple commentators? I've seen Kay and the SBF and of course Geop's.

Also any lps of either of the Pillars of Eternity games?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone got recs for blind Souls game lps? Preferably multiple commentators? I've seen Kay and the SBF and of course Geop's.

Also any lps of either of the Pillars of Eternity games?

Bloodborne by ChaosArgate and co should fit. Argate plays it blind and a whole host of people who know the game super well like Artix, liquidypoo, Jobbo_Fett and CJacobs try to guide him throught it... and fail spectacularly :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd like a video LP of any Star Trek adventure or adventure-adjacent video game, accompanied by a mild, pleasant voice, for use as a/v wallpaper while I'm working. I've had Star Trek 25th Anniversary on my list for a while and I am just never gonna get to it, but any of the franchise's slower, non-shooty, non-simmy, non-MMO games will do.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

doctorfrog posted:

I'd like a video LP of any Star Trek adventure or adventure-adjacent video game, accompanied by a mild, pleasant voice, for use as a/v wallpaper while I'm working. I've had Star Trek 25th Anniversary on my list for a while and I am just never gonna get to it, but any of the franchise's slower, non-shooty, non-simmy, non-MMO games will do.

I've got just the thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUZAJM3NoA&list=PL1C67F4B0963EC067

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm in the mood to see either a clever, thoughtful person puzzle out a tricky game blind, or a knowledgeable person working around and explaining all the gotchas in an unfair game.

Or, I guess, someone playing a totally unfair game blind and triumphing through sheer force of will.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Princey posted:

I'm in the mood to see either a clever, thoughtful person puzzle out a tricky game blind, or a knowledgeable person working around and explaining all the gotchas in an unfair game.

Or, I guess, someone playing a totally unfair game blind and triumphing through sheer force of will.

If you haven't read Gabriel Pope's FF2 LP, IMO it falls into the latter category. From the lead-in: "It has a whole. lot. of wacky mechanics that can be broken, exploited, and abused to no end. This has contributed to something of a bad rap for the game--it's actually got a pretty decent gameplay curve compared to other early JRPGs, but that tends to get lost in the confusion over what the hell is happening with your characters' advancement...I am basically a lazy person. While it's possible to powerlevel the hell out of your characters and have a party of walking gods armed with shiny magic weapons and armor and high-end spells before setting foot in the first dungeon, this takes time and effort. I like to exploit mechanics so that I have to do less work, not more--a lot of the most popularized exploits in this game are inefficient, unnecessary, or even counterproductive. I'll still be pointing them all out and using them if necessary, but for the most part when it comes to actually playing I'll mostly just be goofing around, slacking off, and using the mechanics to coast along rather than spending time over-leveling my party for what is really a fairly easy game."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm looking for a specific screenshot LP where the author kept track of the game's various dick moves. I know it's on the archive, but there are a lot of LPs on the archive. It's not Xenogears.

This is kind of a longshot, but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm looking for a specific screenshot LP where the author kept track of the game's various dick moves. I know it's on the archive, but there are a lot of LPs on the archive. It's not Xenogears.

It's a broad request, but the White Knight Chronicles LP by moi was one long catalogue of all the ways that game screwed the pooch while falling down the stairs into a rusty flaming woodchipper. There's also Lunar: Dragon Song by Camel Pimp that did much the same thing.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head not done by Id.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

Could it be Lizard Wizard's Oblivion LP? He kept a "counter" of the game's fuckups through the course of the LP, but it kinda ended up looking like some extremely strange algebra equation.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DoubleNegative posted:

I feel like Smasher Dynamo did one with this, but I'm not sure. Also, Dark Id does it frequently.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DoubleNegative posted:

Not dick moves specifically, but EpeeEm's Megaman Battle Network 4 had a pretty prolific gently caress-up counter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe this will help.

557 updates that use the phrase "dick move". I wonder how many total updates there are on the archive...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 22, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is not only a fine choice, it’s the adventure game I was most curious about. Thanks for the recommendation!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Thanks for trying, y'all. I don't believe it was any of those, though. I went through Mega64's google search link and couldn't find it there either, making me think it may not actually exist. :psyduck:

All I remember is the author wrote "This is Dick Move #1" and then a few updates later "This is Dick Move #2" and then toward the end they broke from the numbering convention to say "This is such a huge Dick Move by the game that we have to call this Dick Move Omega" or something to that effect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

DoubleNegative posted:

Thanks for trying, y'all. I don't believe it was any of those, though. I went through Mega64's google search link and couldn't find it there either, making me think it may not actually exist. :psyduck:

All I remember is the author wrote "This is Dick Move #1" and then a few updates later "This is Dick Move #2" and then toward the end they broke from the numbering convention to say "This is such a huge Dick Move by the game that we have to call this Dick Move Omega" or something to that effect.

It might well be an LP that wasn't archived. It sounds vaguely familiar. Do you have any more info about anything, such as the content of the game or what the dick moves entailed?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoubleNegative posted:

That sounds kind of like Simply Simon's in-thread breakdowns of the Gameboy Castlevania games, but the main content was in video form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I could have swore that this question was answered here recently already, but I can't find the post. I recently got the KH remaster game on PS4, but honestly I won't have the time to replay it all before the third game is out. Does anyone know a particularly good LP for recapping it all?