Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
honestly it seems more like his wife got breast cancer from a drug for a serious autoimmune disease, he is a contractor hence marketplace insurance and the deductible usually starts at 7-10k. That ruins most people's emergency funds. Say what you will but medical poo poo can gently caress up everything in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, a depressing number of bankruptcies are medically motivated and for people who had insurance. Unless you have a very good plan through an employer that you can cling to while sick, it's easy to get buried in bills.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’m not really making fun of the fact that someone is forced to live paycheque to paycheque, more the idea of a 60-hour emergency fund.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I’m not really making fun of the fact that someone is forced to live paycheque to paycheque, more the idea of a 60-hour emergency fund.

I don't know the circumstances and he could well turn out to be a BWM superstar but given the prior history I'm willing to cut some slack, personally. Self-employed heath insurance is a loving nightmare in the US even with ACA and when you have a sick wife it's not so easy to squirrel away an emergency fund.

I mean we could sit around all day and second-guess whether he should have bought this thing or that or why isn't he driving a 10 year old beater car etc. etc. but right now I feel like there is more fertile BWM ground to be sown. Like:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a7thsx/how_long_would_it_take_an_unpaid_55k_loan_to_go/

quote:

There's no way to refute or cancel it(?) but I don't feel responsible for the loan for details I will spare you from. I already have a car loan and I won't be getting a mortgage for at least 8 years, my only other concern with credit is it could effect job opportunities that check credit. If I were to ignore the loan and not declare bankruptcy, how long till it falls off my credit report? Before you ask why don't I pay it off, I have too many other bills and debt I'm already struggling with that have far worse consequences if I fail to pay such as eviction, no utilities, loss of medical treatment and reposession. I've also contacted the lender to ask for adjustment on the monthly amount and term limit which they declined. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I'd like to start saving at the expense of non-payment of the 5.5k even if it make take years to recover my credit as a result. Thanks for the read

Or:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a7tf76/19_year_old_in_bad_finance_situation_with_car/

quote:

I just turned 19 years old in November and when I turned 18 everything was brand new and I felt the need to look for a car to finance, well I did, January 3rd 2018 I financed $13,890 on a 2015 Dodge Dart with an interest rate of 17.74%. If anyone knows anything about Darts, you’ll know that they were a complete failure from FCA (I did not know this at the time) it had 27,000 miles and I thought the price was good for what I was getting (navigation, manual transmission, and the black appearance package. Now I’m almost to the one year mark of ownership and the car is not worth what I am paying for it. My payments are around $350 a month and I drive anywhere from 300-600 miles a week which can cost on the low side of $23 a week to fill up @300 miles or $46 to fill up @ 600miles. The car has a small gas tank so my fuel range is limited. I owe about $12,600 and it’s worth about $8,000 (trade in) I’m considering trading it in for a new car that is financially economical, and has a rebate that can cover my negative equity. My credit is in remission after an unfortunate financial situation I was put in a few months ago. So about 600 is my score and I could maybe put down $600-$1,000. What price range should I be looking at? And new or used? And should I even do it? I will have 4 years left and it currently has 43k miles. I started working at a ford dealership 2 months back so I think that helps a little. One car I was looking at was a 2018 Ford Fusion SE for $22,600 with rebates of $3,000 plus. I can manage higher payments to get something that makes sense.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 20, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Wafer posted:

I almost go bankrupt every leap year.
rofl.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

honestly it seems more like his wife got breast cancer from a drug for a serious autoimmune disease, he is a contractor hence marketplace insurance and the deductible usually starts at 7-10k. That ruins most people's emergency funds. Say what you will but medical poo poo can gently caress up everything in the states.
Oh that sucks. That's rough.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ixian posted:

I mean we could sit around all day and second-guess whether he should have bought this thing or that or why isn't he driving a 10 year old beater car etc. etc. but right now I feel like there is more fertile BWM ground to be sown. Like:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a7thsx/how_long_would_it_take_an_unpaid_55k_loan_to_go/

quote:

There's no way to refute or cancel it(?) but I don't feel responsible for the loan for details I will spare you from. I already have a car loan and I won't be getting a mortgage for at least 8 years, my only other concern with credit is it could effect job opportunities that check credit. If I were to ignore the loan and not declare bankruptcy, how long till it falls off my credit report? Before you ask why don't I pay it off, I have too many other bills and debt I'm already struggling with that have far worse consequences if I fail to pay such as eviction, no utilities, loss of medical treatment and reposession. I've also contacted the lender to ask for adjustment on the monthly amount and term limit which they declined. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I'd like to start saving at the expense of non-payment of the 5.5k even if it make take years to recover my credit as a result. Thanks for the read

I’d say I found my ex-wife posting on reddit, but she already knows how long it takes non-payments of debt to fall off credit reports :v:

On second thought this poster mentions wanting to start saving, so nope, that’s definitely not her.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a7u1l8/how_bad_is_my_vehicle_lease/

quote:

How bad is my vehicle lease

I just "lease purchased" (or so they called the deal) a vehicle three days ago. I have no debt besides student loans. The lease is within my monthly budget but I feel like I got hosed and regret it even though I like the truck. The reason being is the deal the set me up with was a 72month lease, but after three years I can trade it in or finance to buy at the same payment @ another 72 (so becoming a 3yr + 72months). Or I can just lease for the original 72 and have those other two options plus the option to walk.

The payment fits within my monthly budget but the car is a 45,000 truck. So I feel like god drat what did I do? Go from no debt to a possible 45k purchase. I was looking to try to buy within 30k but bringing family to the dealership was a mistake and I got caught up.

To me looks like I will have to ride it out and since I can afford it. I probably should since breaking leases are a pain. So I suppose the best course of action is use it for three years and maybe buy it then without payments if I save, or once I'm far enough along in the lease maybe I can lease trade it online. I just bet that "trade option" in 3 years the dealership brought up is probably just another dealership money pit for me.

Thoughts?

I could provide number details if needed but I'm sure the answer is just "Do this dumbass"

quote:

For First 72 months: $475 montly (435 + 40 [for mechanical protection plan]) for 71 payments totaling $34k

Adjusted capitilized cost: 41k (I put money down)

Residual value after 6 months expected worth $20k

Purchase option @ end of lease term 21k

Total base of monthly payments of the 72 months is $31k

So looks like if I buy it I'd end up paying over 50-55k for it

Or just enjoy the car for 6 years for 31k haha...ha

quote:

but to answer your question yeah options of my lease

72 month lease

@36months ---> can trade in, or buy it outright

@72 months --->can trade in, or buy it outright, or walk away from lease

quote:

19k SL and 48k yr income
Wow.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

My eyes glazed over a bit reading that mess, but am I correct in thinking that buried in all that was basically an option to make payments for NINE YEARS on that stupid truck? (That "3 years + 72 months" option)

Imagine buying a car in TYOOL 2009 and making your last payment on it this month.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Ah, well, gently caress. Can't even make fun of the mods without feeling like poo poo in this drat country.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Well, he made his go fund me, so really he isn’t the bad with money one.

Edit: well I didn’t see this until the next page, so um, yeah I guess I can judge if that’s the case.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Known Lecher posted:

My eyes glazed over a bit reading that mess, but am I correct in thinking that buried in all that was basically an option to make payments for NINE YEARS on that stupid truck? (That "3 years + 72 months" option)

Imagine buying a car in TYOOL 2009 and making your last payment on it this month.

As I was reading it initially, I was like "ok well that's a lovely deal, but he can just walk after the lease, it's pretty much a regular lease if he does that." And then I saw that the amount he will have paid over the course of the normal lease was actually the same price as buying a new truck outright (without letting yourself get shafted).

In other news, my local Board Game Bar I mentioned before has been open for a month now, and they have already upped their sitting fee from $7 to $10. I have no idea if this is because they underestimated their popularity, and decided they can fleece people for more money, or they underestimated their costs, and were already going under at $7.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

17% on a car loan, holy moly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's super sad that his family apparently pressured him to make an even worse decision than he originally intended

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It could have been kids getting tired/bored and just wanting to get things wrapped up and the salesman took advantage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

This poo poo should be loving illegal.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

BWM 2018: My credit is in remission.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ashcans posted:

17% on a car loan, holy moly.

My friend bought a car and had that. I told him to pay it off ASAP if he was able too. For the record I think it was his very first credit line etc. So I can see if the guy was young getting a terrible deal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

My friend bought a car and had that. I told him to pay it off ASAP if he was able too. For the record I think it was his very first credit line etc. So I can see if the guy was young getting a terrible deal.

I hope this counts under the amusing anecdote carve out in the rules: My first car I bought I didn't even know the interest rate on. :haw: I was working part time 9 months a year at a K-12 school district with no health insurance. Signed on the dotted line for a ~$325/month payment for 5 years (I think, this was a long time ago) on a $9,995 car that they had grossed up to $15,000 with surprise-in-the-finance-room fees. I literally never found out what the interest rate was on that loan and this was before bills had to have it on there.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a7w712/recently_laid_off_22k_in_credit_card_debt_no/
Recently laid off, $22k in credit card debt, no savings. Can barely pay rent, let alone CC payments.

quote:

Long story short; a very unfortunate sequence of emergencies coupled with some exuberant spending led to a 200-point nosedive in my credit score in the span of a couple months, with my FICO score sitting at 610 now and $22k deep in credit card debt. All my credit card limits got slashed heavily, which means that my credit utilization went up to 80% in the process. Got about $7k of credit card utilization left. No savings. And here’s the kicker: I was recently laid off.

So here’s my situation: Wages: Unemployment: $1,800/mo

Expenses: Rent: $1,300/mo Utilities: $90/mo Phone: $100/mo Other: $100

That’s it. I applied for food stamps, but not sure if I will receive any (my unemployment pay is higher than the gross max pay that makes you eligible). I will basically live off rice, potatoes and ramen. I live in New York, so I don’t have a vehicle and I’m not at the luxury to enjoy ubers and even monthly metrocard passes right now. Basically applying to jobs in my field at my apartment all day; the less distractions the better. All subscriptions have been canceled. I don't need any of that; at this point I just want to avoid becoming homeless or starving. But this also means that I won’t be able to make any minimum payments to my credit cards until I land a new job to get me back on my feet, and I’ve never missed a single payment.

What are my options here? I don’t have any relatives or friends to ask for favors. Wow i never thought I’d be in this situation. Began the year with a six-figure salary and over 30k in savings and end up not sleeping well at night due to anxiety about basic living necessities. Life comes at you fast. On the bright side, if I make it out of this in one piece I'll have a hell of a story to tell a few years down the line!
Upside is the dude has $200/mo left over so he wont starve..

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 20, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

In the replies:

quote:

keeping up with people in the finance industry is really not a game I should be playing yet in hindsight, even if you justify it to yourself as "networking" and "relationship building." also, a lot of my savings were in small-cap stocks that basically lost half their value in the past few months. no joke.

Whoops.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Why do they always lead off with oh no my credit score took a dive, also I'm unemployed and can barely pay my bills.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

George H.W. oval office posted:

Why do they always lead off with oh no my credit score took a dive, also I'm unemployed and can barely pay my bills.
Credit score is an addictive game, I guess? Plus they know they're bad with money but The Banks use to say otherwise which proves they're actually good with money!

My spouse and I are complete opposites and I'm a co-signer on a now totaled car
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a82d46/my_spouse_and_i_are_complete_opposites_and_im_a/

quote:

First post, and I'm in need of some advice.

I'm married and have had a negative financial past with my spouse since we have two very different outlooks on finances. I'm the saver, extremely practical and very budget minded while my spouse has been financially irresponsible (without going into specifics). We have plans to divorce in 2019.

Here's the pickle I'm in - my spouse has financed a high-value vehicle (dream car) and I am the co-signer because I was needed on the loan in order to get the loan due to my better credit score. Ends up that this car needs a new engine. We went through insurance and they denied the claim. My spouse is unable to get a loan of any kind alone since there is a ton of individual credit card debt. I have been presented 2 options:

1. Refinance together in order to pull equity out of the car to pay for the new engine and then sell (there is 30k equity)
2. Stop payments altogether so that the car is repossessed since my spouse cannot pay for the new engine and a car without an engine will not necessarily sell

I'm apprehensive about refinancing since I would ideally like to be completely removed from the loan (and I would request this as a part of our divorce along with other debts that I have unknowingly been pulled into). Our past has been riddled with financial abuse and I have taken the last year to successfully rebuild my credit with a lot of hard work. Plus, I will be needing my credit to fall back on once I am divorced.

My credit score: 800

My spouse's credit score: 530

What would be the correct move in this situation or essentially the lesser evil? Take the credit hit for a repossessed car that I have never driven or sign a new loan with a person that I am trying to separate from?
Option three...insurance fraud, duh!!

Thinking of buying another car. Need advice as I can’t currently afford to make a payment.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a82t6d/thinking_of_buying_another_car_need_advice_as_i/

quote:

My current vehicle is paid off but in very poor condition and I’m thinking what it would cost to get it in a better state I might as well buy another used car. I don’t make enough to make a payment and was thinking about driving Uber/Lyft to pay the car off.

I would already be driving Lyft/Uber just for extra money but my current car doesn’t meet the standard of those services.

quote:

So my current car needs a lot. Here’s what I know of: Muffler, axle, serpentine belt, valve cover gasket, suspension on the front. That’s the stuff I know about.

Budget is about $1500 a month with around 800 in bills and the rest for gas and food for the month.

I think I can squeeze that in some areas and of that and free some up. I’ve also talked with several people in my area about what they make from these two services on the side. I think I could easily make the payment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/d/after-3-years-not-1-client-has-been/6775811613.html

quote:

WE ONLY ASK FOR PROOF OF INCOME 2 RECENT PAY STUBS LICENSE & A CHECKING ACCOUNT STATEMENT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE BRING A FRIEND AND THEY CAN ADD THEIR INFORMATION FOR YOU!

IF SSI SSD I'LL NEED A RECENT AWARD LETTER!! IF SELF EMPLOYED ILL NEED 2 MONTHS RECENT BANK STATEMENTS.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE BRING A FRIEND AND THEY CAN ADD THEIR INFORMATION FOR YOU!
WE DON'T LOOK AT YOUR CREDIT HISTORY................NO CREDIT..............BAD CREDIT.............CASH JOB................PREVIOUS REPO .............NO HASSLE CAR DEALS! SLOW CREDIT.............DIVORCE.............DISCHARGED BANKRUPTCY OK.............SELF EMPLOYED.............

WE HELP YOU BUY A CAR!............SSI / SSD INCOME OK WITH US 500DOWNNOW.COM for all of our inventory

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why does he say "I'll end up paying 50-55k" when his payments plus buyout is over 55k PLUS he says he put money down?

I hope this truck at least had a ton of options on it. It's possible to get what he said he bought (Ford XLT 4WD crew) with a window sticker of pretty close to 45k, so it's possible he paid pretty close to full MSRP for a truck that's a year old right now and should be like 10k under MSRP.

Based off his 21k residual after SIX YEARS I'd guess the truck window'd for over 50 grand so maybe he at least didn't do terrible in that regard.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SiGmA_X posted:

My spouse and I are complete opposites and I'm a co-signer on a now totaled car
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a82d46/my_spouse_and_i_are_complete_opposites_and_im_a/

quote:

Here's the pickle I'm in - my spouse has financed a high-value vehicle (dream car) and I am the co-signer
Will 2019 finally be the year I finance my dream thread title: "But it's my dream car!"?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpelledBackwards posted:

Will 2019 finally be the year I finance my dream thread title: "But it's my dream car!"?

but its my dream horse

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

but its my dream horse

dream horses can quickly turn into night mares.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Guest2553 posted:

Booooooooo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Guest2553 posted:

We really need to reign in these horse puns.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Saw the word "horse" today.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Good Lord I can hear this screaming through the radio in my head

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Guest2553 posted:

User was put on probation for this post

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

User was put on probation for this post

You are a good mod.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Motronic posted:

You are a good mod.

Hope you're enjoying the tag

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Murderball posted:

Jealous I don't get to be a horse boi

I've had several thread titles at this point! (he cries lamely into the uncaring void)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

I kinda figured that had to be you.

It's prefect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

College Guy Needs Advice Regarding Keeping or Selling a New Car (self.personalfinance)

submitted 21 minutes ago by n2018man

quote:

So I bought a new 2018 Toyota Yaris iA because my old car needed about $1500 worth of work all at once, I was broke, and I couldn't even get approved for a credit card since I had no credit history.

Toyota has this program for new graduates where they only looked for derogatory marks, not credit scores. To make a long story short the payoff amount is $19223. My interest rate is 1.9%, and my monthly payment is $368 plus $165 for full coverage. I'm about six payments in and hate the car sucking all my income.

I was thinking of buying a cheap $1k-2k car off Craigslist when I get my tax return and selling my Yaris to Car Max since they offered $12000, but I would still need to payoff the remaining $7223. Unless there is a loan specific for car payoffs a private loan at my credit union is 10.25%.

I figure I would save $232 a month by selling my car and buying a cheap car with my payoff loan figured in, but at the same time I'm a bit worried about buying used again because I always end up with junk that craps out after a year and I'm not a mechanic. I'm also taking a pretty big hit on the car value.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Guest2553 posted:

Worse is that that pun is a xanth title.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Motronic posted:

College Guy Needs Advice Regarding Keeping or Selling a New Car (self.personalfinance)

submitted 21 minutes ago by n2018man

How fuckin’ loaded is that Yaris!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It came from a letter to an advice column

"Dear Prudence posted:

Dear Prudence,
My husband and I met working at a major tech company. He left with more than $2 million at age 36. On the outside, our life looks great. But he hasn’t worked since we got married nearly 20 years ago, and as a result, he’s blown through all our cash. I knew he was selling off stock but was unaware of the extent until a few years ago. I never expected he would not work again. Now he resents watching colleagues advance to senior roles, making good money, and working on exciting tech products. A few friends are starting to retire. That would have been us, too. But now we’re in our 50s with no savings. I’m a best-selling author, and my early books netted nearly $1 million from book sales. Today, I still hustle for editorial projects. He claims he couldn’t work all those years because he was too busy setting me up in my writing career. He has been helpful, no doubt about it. But I never asked him to forgo working for years.

There's also an extra house involved.