Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The chess scene in The Wire is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Tbh every chess scene ever filmed is the worst. You can always tell it was written by one of those chess guys who think it's some ultimate strategy showdown. Being good at chess is like having a high IQ. It doesn't actually mean anything, but people still think it does for some reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tbh every chess scene ever filmed is the worst. You can always tell it was written by one of those chess guys who think it's some ultimate strategy showdown. Being good at chess is like having a high IQ. It doesn't actually mean anything, but people still think it does for some reason.

Person of Interest and Mr Robot have good chess scenes.

In PoI it's one character teaching another until the second character becomes better than the teacher, and it ties into the philosophies of the characters ("don't treat people like pawns") and the themes of the episode ("you can't predict everything"). It's not meant as a showdown at all, and there's no emphasis placed on the actual moves.

In Mr Robot most of the games are artificially constructed stalemates which would never occur in actual play, because it's one person playing against himself and stalemate is the only option consistent with that.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Dec 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anglo-saxons are cooler than vikings.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Theon’s dick is the only one we see, and considering how that worked out...

Hopefully Jamie and Brienne will have another swordfight onscreen to establish whose is bigger tho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

spoken like someone who's never seen the chess episode of Lexx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvfOgglcR_w

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lexx did an entire episode that was just a chess game, showing every move, and it was better that 95% of tv show's best episode

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I feel like I need to watch Lexx because I really love Farscape, but whenever anyone recommends it there are always so many caveats that I haven't felt compelled to give it a chance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like I need to watch Lexx because I really love Farscape, but whenever anyone recommends it there are always so many caveats that I haven't felt compelled to give it a chance.

Watch this episode. Base your decision on whether or not to watch the whole show on your reaction to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n7iIYhjiSQ

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Watch episode one, just be aware that season one is four movie-length episodes so make sure you've got time for that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tiggum posted:

Christmas in Killarney is a terrible song.

From a ways back, but I'd rather listen to Christmas in Killarney on a loop for a week than that loving Italian Christmas Donkey song even once.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lexx kicks rear end, even if it does get loving absurd toward the end. I wish it was still on Netflix.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The chess scene in The Wire is the worst

It was the best scene in The Wire The Musical, though.

Chess is a metaphor for druuug deals!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Caufman posted:

It was the best scene in The Wire The Musical, though.

Chess is a metaphor for druuug deals!

No I'm sorry, Bubbs stop doing drugs is the best part of that musical.

Bubbles is the best part of everything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

Game of Thrones also didn't invent [“sellsword”].

I was surprised the other day to learn that, per Oxford Dictionaries, GRRM did invent the word. Shakespeare used “sell sword” as two words, and in a different sense from what I can tell.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.oxforddictionaries.com/amp/2017/04/25/game-of-thrones-words-swords-sorcery/

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wheel of Time were honestly better reads than GoT/ASoIaFaTaDXYZ.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
While cis people should never play trans characters in movies, I don’t think there’s a problem with straight people playing queer characters. Queer people have been playing straight characters basically since movies started.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like the monopoly of British accents in historical dramas, especially swords and sandals Ancient Rome stuff. The USA identifies itself with Rome more than anyone else so we should just start doing them in American accents.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like the monopoly of British accents in historical dramas, especially swords and sandals Ancient Rome stuff. The USA identifies itself with Rome more than anyone else so we should just start doing them in American accents.

No, they should be done in modern day Italian accents

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That would just sound like a bunch of mobsters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best ancient Rome epic was the one with Cato played by Christopher Walken. He used his normal voice, and Caesar’s wife had an unexplained italian accent despite being another roman aristocrat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

That would just sound like a bunch of mobsters

This is a negative?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bafangool, brute?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is a negative?

Yeah it would just remind me of Tony Soprano stuffing his face with gabagool and meatball sandwiches, not a dude designing an empire.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe this is unpopular but I think any historical movie would be made better by everyone having s boston accent. I love it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The best handling of historical accents is Borgias: Faith and Fear, whose cast had an ecclectic mix of European accents, except Rodrigo Borgia/Pope Alexander VI who had the most distinct General American accent I've heard.

Edit: Seriously, if you have Netflix watch the first few scenes and try not to burst out laughing when he starts speaking; then watch the rest because it's actually a good show.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Dec 22, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
But The Borgias, also released in 2011, has Jeremy Irons, so it's objectively better.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Death of Stalin was perfectly fine with everyone just using their own accent so I'd like to see more of that. Maybe because it was a comedy, but, whatever.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I like when they do that, because you can differentiate between the different American and English accents, and kind of laterally transfer that to imagining people speaking Russian in different accents.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Queen Combat posted:

But The Borgias, also released in 2011, has Jeremy Irons, so it's objectively better.

It really isn't. As good as Jeremy Irons, John Doman is the better Rodrigo. Plus Faith and Fear is the rawer and more true to life version of the two; the other is indistinguishable from any other historical prestige tv show.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Jeremy. Irons.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Queen Combat posted:

Jeremy. Irons.

wasn't as good as John Damon

Edit: I'm willing to blame the showrunners for his performance since they dropped the ball with pretty much everything else

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

starkebn posted:

Death of Stalin was perfectly fine with everyone just using their own accent so I'd like to see more of that. Maybe because it was a comedy, but, whatever.

One notable exception was Jason Isaacs

Jason Isaacs posted:

In real life, Zhukov was the only person who was able to speak bluntly to Stalin. So, I thought, well, who are the bluntest people I’ve ever met in my life? They’re all from Yorkshire. The accent is shorthand for: no loving around, I’m going to tell you what’s what.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

No I'm sorry, Bubbs stop doing drugs is the best part of that musical.

Bubbles is the best part of everything.

Compelling point and hard to argue against.

Although Lawrence Gilliard Jr.'s voice and lack of eyebrows just make me go :hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In The Last Kingdom the point is made many times that the main guy is particularly useful because he can speak english and norse. They even bothered to have the saxons use english accents and the danes use scandinavian accents, since of course the whole show is just in english. But translation issues never, ever come up. Even when dudes who should definitely not speak norse get captured by danes. There's even a part where they are speaking to a cornish king, and the king is using a priest to talk to them back and forth, so I though "oh, finally, the language thing might...."

NOPE the king speaks english with a welsh accent and understands everyone, he was just being a dick.

Ignoring medieval language issues in your dumb historical fantasy is fine but then why have any characters mention it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Target is intentionally training it's cashiers to bag groceries poorly so that people will use the self-checkout aisles and then Target can fire the cashiers.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Since we're adding strongly suspected conspiracy theories: The execs of those stores where parents tart up their daughters get kickbacks whenever a pedophile is arrested for cause.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If self service things were really self service I wouldn't mind using them. At my store when you go up to one an employee swoops in and is like "here let me scan these for you" while making dumb small talk. At best you go to a place where you can scan your own stuff but it has a camera showing you a feed of yourself while an employee hovers around staring at people, treating everyone like probable criminals. The first time that happened was the last I'll ever use it, it's better to just go into an aisle because at least there's a counter separating the two of you so it's less awkward and you don't feel like they are assuming you're trying to steal something.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tubgoat posted:

Since we're adding strongly suspected conspiracy theories: The execs of those stores where parents tart up their daughters get kickbacks whenever a pedophile is arrested for cause.

Is that a genre of stores? And how would you make money off of someone getting arrested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If self service things were really self service I wouldn't mind using them. At my store when you go up to one an employee swoops in and is like "here let me scan these for you" while making dumb small talk. At best you go to a place where you can scan your own stuff but it has a camera showing you a feed of yourself while an employee hovers around staring at people, treating everyone like probable criminals. The first time that happened was the last I'll ever use it, it's better to just go into an aisle because at least there's a counter separating the two of you so it's less awkward and you don't feel like they are assuming you're trying to steal something.
As long as peoples' ability to survive is tied to their ability to be enslaved in drudgery, I'll keep taking my 1-2 items to a cashier (unless I'm on a tight schedule and in a super duper hurry).