Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And lesbians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A lot of gay men have problems with women generally.

Though trans hate runs the queer gamut, and there are the loving TERFs too.

Hell, two chuckleheads in the office were laughing about the idea that women could be considered a "minority", and they're both Asian men. Solidarity isn't guaranteed.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 20, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And bisexuals

Really the longer list would be "things that gay men historically haven't hated". Not even "Nazis" are on that list thanks to a certain flavor of euro queer :mad:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I remember one of the most right-wing people I've met was a former co-worker who liked to explain at great length to anyone who would listen that as a gay atheist he was "more scared of the Muslims than the Christians" which is why he supported all the really right-wing parties. Big UKIP guy, as I recall. Not an easy person to get along with.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

And bisexuals

Really the longer list would be "things that gay men historically haven't hated". Not even "Nazis" are on that list thanks to a certain flavor of euro queer :mad:

You don't even have to look at Europe. gently caress Milo Yiannopoulos.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:yikes:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I got to about season 3 before I had to quit...it becomes more and more obvious as the show goes on that it is the id of the Trump Voter.

If you really want to :eyepop: some early stars, check out 90's episodics like Law & Order or The X-Files: you can see Ryan Reynolds before plastic surgery! :ohdear:

I was expecting to find it pretty right-wing but one thing that surprised me is that David Palmer is labelled a Democrat, I completely forgot that and presumed they just didn't name parties. I don't think the people who made Palmer would vote trump, I may be wrong though.

e: Also the odd moment of, surprise, this middle eastern guy isn't a terrorist! But the fact that they think thats a plot twist may be even worse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is that the season where jack breaks into a gun store or whatever and the owners are middle eastern guys that are like rah rah murika stand yer ground types and help him shoot the terrists?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Annabel Pee posted:

I was expecting to find it pretty right-wing but one thing that surprised me is that David Palmer is labelled a Democrat, I completely forgot that and presumed they just didn't name parties. I don't think the people who made Palmer would vote trump, I may be wrong though.

e: Also the odd moment of, surprise, this middle eastern guy isn't a terrorist! But the fact that they think thats a plot twist may be even worse.

I don't think the writers were, no, but the idiocy of that show definitely turned into a certain segment of society's interpretation of objective reality... :911:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm checking out Sick Note on Netflix. Rupert Grint, Nick Frost, Don Johnson. It's pretty funny so far.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

precision posted:

I'm checking out Sick Note on Netflix. Rupert Grint, Nick Frost, Don Johnson. It's pretty funny so far.

:wrong: It loving sucks and they're all terrible people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, it's no Snatch

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm going to movie derail for a hot second because gently caress wandering into CD this early in the afternoon, but I saw Mary Poppins Returns last night and it surpassed my expectations. Definitely Rob Marshall's best movie since Chicago (tho not as good as Chicago).

Blunt was great, they didn't push her past her vocal range and she's improved a lot since Into the Woods. She coulda been more of a bitch but the script's Mary Poppins was softer than she used to be. There were a lot of really cool setpieces, and the songs were all good tho none of them really jumped out at me. Maybe they'll be more memorable a second go around. Lin-Manuel Miranda was terribly loving annoying but not enough to detract from the movie. I swear he was trying to imitate Van Dyke's terrible cockney accent, despite being an entirely different character and not having even a fraction of the charisma that let Van Dyke get away with sounding so ridiculous.

Missed opportunity to have a Sister Suffragette-esque moment; Emily Mortimer as Jane is very much into social issues as Mrs. Banks was in the original but she never got any songs which kinda sucked. Needed a bop about unionizing or something to round it out imo.

Anyway I recommend Mary Poppins Returns. It might even be more enjoyable for people who don't find LMM irritating as all hell!

e:

also seconding that Sick Note is p good goddamnit. Lindsay Lohan was on point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m on the last episode of Happy and holy poo poo, when Happy turned on Stuck in the Middle with You and doing the Mr Blonde dance during the torture scene I loving lost it.

I love this dumb show. It’s gonna be a constant Christmas watch for me like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Happy is now my favorite Christmas thing ever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

I'm going to movie derail for a hot second because gently caress wandering into CD this early in the afternoon, but I saw Mary Poppins Returns last night and it surpassed my expectations. Definitely Rob Marshall's best movie since Chicago (tho not as good as Chicago).

Blunt was great, they didn't push her past her vocal range and she's improved a lot since Into the Woods. She coulda been more of a bitch but the script's Mary Poppins was softer than she used to be. There were a lot of really cool setpieces, and the songs were all good tho none of them really jumped out at me. Maybe they'll be more memorable a second go around. Lin-Manuel Miranda was terribly loving annoying but not enough to detract from the movie. I swear he was trying to imitate Van Dyke's terrible cockney accent, despite being an entirely different character and not having even a fraction of the charisma that let Van Dyke get away with sounding so ridiculous.

Missed opportunity to have a Sister Suffragette-esque moment; Emily Mortimer as Jane is very much into social issues as Mrs. Banks was in the original but she never got any songs which kinda sucked. Needed a bop about unionizing or something to round it out imo.

Anyway I recommend Mary Poppins Returns. It might even be more enjoyable for people who don't find LMM irritating as all hell!
I just got out of seeing it. It felt like one of the closest modern interpretations of an old-school Disney movie I've seen, at least in terms of visual style and storytelling. You're right, Lin Manuel Miranda does loving suck. It felt like his character was unnecessary and he was only there because of his popularity with Hamilton and poo poo like that. None of the songs were memorable to me either. But the presentation was nice!

It's a forgettable movie but not bad. In the moment it's like watching a classic Disney movie except not as good. Also feels like watching a movie version of a musical play.

I appreciated the Jane character being a labor organizer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just got out of seeing it. It felt like one of the closest modern interpretations of an old-school Disney movie I've seen, at least in terms of visual style and storytelling. You're right, Lin Manuel Miranda does loving suck. It felt like his character was unnecessary and he was only there because of his popularity with Hamilton and poo poo like that. None of the songs were memorable to me either. But the presentation was nice!

It's a forgettable movie but not bad. In the moment it's like watching a classic Disney movie except not as good. Also feels like watching a movie version of a musical play.

I appreciated the Jane character being a labor organizer.

Yeah, it's a weird movie because I thought it was pretty excellent-- it's nowhere near the original, of course-- in that it's probably the best Disney movie I've seen in aaaaages. But the songs, while mostly good (Streep's number was p awful tho) were super forgettable. The most memorable music moments would be when they'd weave in a bit of orchestration from the original. The only big sequence that really stands out to me was the animated music hall segment, The Cover is Not the Book, I think, and it was more the setpiece itself than the song that stuck with me.

But it was really well made and I had a blast watching it, and Blunt was p much the only person who could have taken the character and had it feel right. I'm eternally grateful they didn't try to have her hit any Julie highs in any of the songs and let her remain just an alto lmao. Her dancing surprised me, too, I wasn't expecting her to keep up so well!

I think my biggest issue with LMM was him being incredibly one note. It was bad enough that Jack was a really lazy rehash of Bert, but even as a copy he didn't have as much variety of character as Van Dyke did in the original. Bert had more emotions than 'wide eyed dumbass smile' in Mary Poppins and LMM is just ... there, I guess. I'm biased against him already but I think I'm not too corrupted or w/e in my opinion of him to complain about how he was in this. It was a choice.

In general Jane needed more to do. Ben Whishaw as Michael was some inspired stuff tho, he really took me there in that one sombre number he had.

Also the (most people know about this but I'll spoiler it anyway? ending thing) Dick Van Dyke scene, as the son of the old bank manager he played in the original, was A++ and that man can still jig for like 95 or however crazy old he is. Seeing him was such a delight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love LMM and Hamilton but the oversaturation has started to get pretty loving ridiculous right now and I definitely don’t think he seems right for his role in this flick at all. Will check it out soon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They should have either gone with a different actor, or rewrote Jack so that he isn't such a redo of the Bert character from the original. LMM may have done better if the character were different, and I'd have probably been less annoyed with him in this movie if they went that route. It also would have done the movie better imo. A lot of it is touching the same beats from the original, and same overall structure of the original entirely, and that's fine imo but not when you're then also trying to capture the same feel as some of the side characters. Do the same story but with a new perspective, I guess?

But yeah I'd recommend it to anyone who loves musicals or the original movie.

e: also if you think about it Mary Poppins is more Bert's movie than Mary's movie w/r/t the character's screen time and impact, and that's kind of the case here with Jack as well (tho Mary's in the mo vie more overall than the original I'd say), and LMM just can't carry it

e2: Bert came off as a surrogate fun father figure to the Banks kids and Jack comes off as a weird cousin lmbo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wow, I had no idea until now that Van Dyke played Mr Dawes in the original. I can tell looking at it now, but only from the eyes and voice. That's some good makeup.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He had a fake name in the credits iirc, they use the same name in the credits here, it's a cute nod!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

The shittiest part of this whole thing to me is that Jeff is a gay man himself. If anyone should have known better it's him.

I haven't watched any of the posted links but did any of them show him trying to plug his book whilst tepidly apologising? Mega cringe.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I remember one of the most right-wing people I've met was a former co-worker who liked to explain at great length to anyone who would listen that as a gay atheist he was "more scared of the Muslims than the Christians" which is why he supported all the really right-wing parties. Big UKIP guy, as I recall. Not an easy person to get along with.

I remember meeting a gay couple at an upscale restaurant bar in Austin and one of them kept referring to Michelle Obama as an ape and absolutely hated the president. He owned several clubs here in Austin at the time and he and his partner were about to move to D.C. as his partner was the architect for a new federal building that was about to be built. After they left several people were completely shocked that he was gay after hearing his racist outburst.

Being a business owner that has a lot of unskilled workers sometimes changes a persons allegiances when money is concerned....it becomes all about workers rights and they just don't give a gently caress about the hypocrisy of the party they now support. SAD!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Escobarbarian posted:

I love LMM and Hamilton but the oversaturation has started to get pretty loving ridiculous right now and I definitely don’t think he seems right for his role in this flick at all. Will check it out soon

Yeah, same. I would actually like to see Hamilton before the heat death of the universe but since the original cast has moved on, I've cooled considerably on the project.

That being said, LMM seems like a good hearted turbonerd that hit the loving jackpot so I'm at least glad he's out there making hay while the sun still shines.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LMM had a good role on The Sopranos as a hotel valet dude. He can be a solid actor.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Speaking of our national treasure:
https://twitter.com/billyeichner/status/1073250437204037632

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Billy Eichner's the real national treasure. I miss Difficult People.

Fake Edit: Possibly a niche comment in a niche comment, but loving Bronson Twist directed nearly every episode of Difficult People. wtf

Real Edit: If Difficult People were still around, they'd be cracking Riverdale jokes like there's no tomorrow. And then they'd probably follow that up with a No Tomorrow joke that no-one would get. Robbed!

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 21, 2018

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don't think the writers were, no, but the idiocy of that show definitely turned into a certain segment of society's interpretation of objective reality... :911:

Joel Surnow, who i believe was the creator and main producer, is heavily republican.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, same. I would actually like to see Hamilton before the heat death of the universe but since the original cast has moved on, I've cooled considerably on the project.

That being said, LMM seems like a good hearted turbonerd that hit the loving jackpot so I'm at least glad he's out there making hay while the sun still shines.

I'm seeing it in May 2019 after obsessing over the original cast recording for the last three years, but it's not going to be the same without Lin, Renee Elise Goldsberry, and especially Daveed Diggs (who I HAVE seen live with his noise-rap group clipping.). Part of me thinks it'll be like seeing a cover or tribute band.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Billy Eichner's the real national treasure. I miss Difficult People.

Fake Edit: Possibly a niche comment in a niche comment, but loving Bronson Twist directed nearly every episode of Difficult People. wtf

Real Edit: If Difficult People were still around, they'd be cracking Riverdale jokes like there's no tomorrow. And then they'd probably follow that up with a No Tomorrow joke that no-one would get. Robbed!

I would genuinely be more excited to meet Billy Eichner than LMM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm seeing it in May 2019 after obsessing over the original cast recording for the last three years, but it's not going to be the same without Lin, Renee Elise Goldsberry, and especially Daveed Diggs (who I HAVE seen live with his noise-rap group clipping.). Part of me thinks it'll be like seeing a cover or tribute band.

It’s just different interpretations really. I saw the original West End cast and the only way in which I felt I was missing out was that Burr was super lispy and I didn’t feel it worked (but then the guy won a bunch of awards and was heavily acclaimed by everybody so I am in the minority here)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

theflyingexecutive posted:

I wouldn’t trust anyone who felt differently to this.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I thought people hated that dude and his shtick? Especially on here where everyone hates most things.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingexecutive posted:

OF COURSE YOU WOULD BE HES A NATIONAL TREASURE

Looten Plunder posted:

I thought people hated that dude and his shtick? Especially on here where everyone hates most things.
nah he loops back around and rules

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

LMM had a good role on The Sopranos as a hotel valet dude. He can be a solid actor.

He was at his best on HIMYM as "guy on a bus."

Also LMM is a national treasure and I will not hear otherwise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a lot of snark-lovers who just don’t like him based on him being so overwhelmingly genuine and nerdy and passionate, which sucks

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s a lot of snark-lovers who just don’t like him based on him being so overwhelmingly genuine and nerdy and passionate, which sucks

What do you mean nerdy i don't know what you

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1075873159566581761?s=19

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm glad he's having his moment and finding success, because that dude's been straight hustling on working TV for more than a decade now...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

He seems a nice person which is more than can be said about a lot of people, but I’m still haunted by that cringe rap he did on SNL when he hosted.

I’ve got a bunch of tickets to Hamilton and I just can’t get excited about it. Maybe it’ll all click when I see it, but what I’ve heard of the soundtrack hasn’t won me over in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah dude busts his rear end and is really talented. Also he is a big fan of MBMBaM and became friends with them and they are all adorable together.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve got a bunch of tickets to Hamilton and I just can’t get excited about it.
The gently caress is wrong with you?