Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

You get bonuses in IT???

We're a cloud company, so IT is the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Our target is 15% every year and I should hit it.

Plus other special stuff and over the next 2 years I am looking at 30%.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our bonus was $380 cash. The taxes are taken out of our next pay check.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My company gave me a one-year membership to the Jelly Of The Month club.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I got two nine dollar drink tickets and unpaid holiday leave

#contractlife

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I mean I get a lot of other benefits include an automatic annual raise (:smug: unions :smug:) but just not a holiday bonus.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hughmoris posted:

My company gave me a one-year membership to the Jelly Of The Month club.

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here...with a big ribbon on his head! And I want to look him straight in the eye, and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-assed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed, sack of monkey poo poo he is! Hallelujah! Holy poo poo! Where's the Tylenol?

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean I get a lot of other benefits include an automatic annual raise (:smug: unions :smug:) but just not a holiday bonus.

How common are unions in IT? I have a bad feeling I already know the answer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Awful CompSloth posted:

In the US? Not at all. Unfortunately, a lot of tech workers are conservative at best, libertarian at worst.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Awful CompSloth posted:

Industrial unions are better for workers

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
getting my bonus in February.
Last year it was 90% of my monthly salary

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GreenNight posted:

Our bonus was $380 cash. The taxes are taken out of our next pay check.

$250 for me.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
We aren't promised any kind of bonus, but if we do get one it comes in June/July after the yearly reviews and raises are all given I think it's pretty rare that IT are given them (you can bet the partners, leadership, etc get them though). We're at least guaranteed a 2.5% raise no matter performance, I got a 3.75% raise based on my performance and had only been here part of the year at that point (I'd have gotten max which I think is 6% based on review but they had to prorate it based on how long I'd actually been with the firm). Bonus is cool and all but I have known too many (stupid) people that bank of getting a certain amount and end up in a world of hurt financially when they don't get it.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Bonuses here come at the very end of January. First (full) year it was 3500, last year it was 4500. I'm hoping it's an upward trend.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Our bonuses aren't guaranteed, but so far IT has gotten it every year I've been here even if it is a not great year for the business. IT has saved the org 500k or so cleaning up other depts so hopefully it looks really good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Awful CompSloth posted:

CLAM DOWN is in Canada, where they have not been utterly gutted and destroyed yet :911:

The funniest bonus I got (several jobs ago) was two tickets to a local minor league hockey team. We advertised heavily in their arena and I am 99% sure got the tickets for free as a thanks. Ironically this was not in Canada :v: That same company also one year gave everyone a $100 bill in a holiday card. The card had a note that taxes will be withheld from the next paycheck lol. I understand that legally they have to but that is some tone deaf grinch poo poo to write directly in the card.

Current company gives great bonuses. Not guaranteed but my target is somewhere around 18% and can increase further for exceptional performance. They’ve never not paid at least to target.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Docjowles posted:

CLAM DOWN is in Canada, where they have not been utterly gutted and destroyed yet :911:

It's a frozen hellscape already claimed by moose.There's nothing to destroy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Awful CompSloth posted:

IT or technology general is meritocratic (so much to a fault). If you're doing poorly the default answer that you likely need to pull up those boot straps.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, gotta love the higher education union. :smug:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We're migrating from Shoretel 14.2 to Mitel something in the near future. Going to be an on-prem, MSP-managed thing. Sure hoping that turns out alright! I'll just be glad to get off the PRIs and 8 year old hardware

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Cross-quoting myself from the small shop thread:

Aunt Beth posted:

We have an on-prem Mitel deployment and it’s pretty capable for the price. Just make sure either you get trained or you pick a vendor who understands these new-fangled computer phones. Due to institutional inertia our phones are administered by a vendor who was great at managing our ancient digital InterTel system, but good lord they’ve been making some facepalmy mistakes now that they’re in VOIP world.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
We have Mitel cloud hosted phone service and it’s the single worst phone service I’ve ever encountered

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Awful CompSloth posted:

Here in Finland pretty much everything is unionized, IT included.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I wish we had Unions in IT here.

It seems like almost all IT jobs have a on-call commitment now a days. I'd love to just work my day and leave, or failing that get paid out the rear end for being bothered off-hours.

I feel like having to compensate for off-hours work would also provide better leverage for fixing broken things instead of working on new stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All phone services are complete garbage

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PBS posted:

I wish we had Unions in IT here.

It seems like almost all IT jobs have a on-call commitment now a days. I'd love to just work my day and leave, or failing that get paid out the rear end for being bothered off-hours.

I feel like having to compensate for off-hours work would also provide better leverage for fixing broken things instead of working on new stuff.

Yup. I'm happy to be on-call as I get paid for it. Unions are really nice in that regard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup. I'm happy to be on-call as I get paid for it. Unions are really nice in that regard.

While there are times I'd rather have the extra pay, I'm OK with the generous comp-time in exchange for on-call/after-hours work. There's also little resistance to us choosing when to use it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I got paid for on-call with flex time or extra cash even on salary. No union required.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I got paid for on-call with flex time or extra cash even on salary. No union required.

"even on salary" lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Lol don't pretend for a second that non unionized companies do not do everything possible to get extra time for free out of their employees.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol don't pretend for a second that non unionized companies do not do everything possible to get extra time for free out of their employees.

I'm not but my previous employer paid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not but my previous employer paid.

You are fortunate!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

All services are complete garbage

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

All phone services are complete garbage

The truest thing ever written in this thread.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress phones and printers!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

gently caress faxes, faxes-phones, and faxes-printers!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I swear upon all that is holy. If you push to production on Friday before Christmas, I will come to your house and kill you.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a goon approved/recommended online school (US)? I have tuition reimbursement through work and was thinking maybe I could use it to take a class. I do (almost all Windows) server administration but I'm painfully weak on networking knowledge and figured I could take a class for that.

I remember people talking about one a while back, like Washington or something?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah its WGU.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Western governors University