Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
However the TWSBI Go end up being? Is it just an Eco with a different fill mechanism? I love my 580 but it's a stub so I'm looking for something finer for fiddly work stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

RichterIX posted:

However the TWSBI Go end up being? Is it just an Eco with a different fill mechanism? I love my 580 but it's a stub so I'm looking for something finer for fiddly work stuff.

Well, and a slip cap instead of a twist. I like mine well enough. The section's a little bigger than the Eco, and the plastic feels different -- not in a bad way, just different. The filling and cleaning is straightforward and quick. There's no reason I'd recommend against it if you're thinking about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stop telling me about cool new fountain pens I want, fountain pen thread. I really don't need any more pens.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mystes posted:

Stop telling me about cool new fountain pens I want, fountain pen thread. I really don't need any more pens.

I kinda want a Kaweco Classic, please talk me out of it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Drone posted:

The converter situation is kind of poo poo; none of them work well. Carts are the way to go. (I don't mind this and you can always clean out a cart and put a different ink in it for the Classic. I just bought one in the new orange Fox color with a double-broad nib and it's pretty nice. I own four of them. Oh, wait, I'm supposed to be talking you out of it...)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

I have a mint colored one and it's really nice to use and carry around, but it's not literally the best pen of all time so you shouldn't get one.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Drone posted:

Size is both its strength and downfall. I love that pen but I hate being stuck having to use cartridges. It's a smooth writer and if you're using cartridges has an okay ink capacity.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I read somewhere that the best working nibs for the kawecos are the XF and b(maybe BB?). I have a fine and it's a bit of a pain on smooth paper. Works fine on lovely printer paper and looseleaf, though. As mentioned, the squeeze converter is pretty terrible, and that's coming from someone who actually likes squeeze converters.

That said, the size is great. With the clip, you can clip it horizontally in trouser pockets. That's surprisingly nice, since you can trust that it'll stay put and be out of the way when you sit down.

Incidentally, had anyone tried those new esterbrooks? They look nice enough in pictures, at the least.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Size is both its strength and downfall. I love that pen but I hate being stuck having to use cartridges. It's a smooth writer and if you're using cartridges has an okay ink capacity.

Well I guess this does it in for me, as being able to use whatever ink I so choose is about 50% of the draw of fountain pens for me.

I'm looking for something as a potential replacement for my Lamy Safari as a daily driver. I live in Germany, where people apparently say that fountain pens are more common (kids apparently still learn to write with them here?), and I always get the feeling that Lamy specifically is associated with that as the biggest German-made pen brand. I get people occasionally commenting about how they remember their first Safari, which I guess is cool because of the shared experience, but also a bit eh because I'm a 31 year old using a pen that people around me associate with childhood.

Unfortunately the Pilot Metropolitans are apparently super hard to find here, so I'm looking for something similar in quality to both that aren't cartridge-only and don't look too ridiculous or flashy for an everyday office setting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Lamy Logo comes to mind immediately.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

atholbrose posted:

Well, and a slip cap instead of a twist. I like mine well enough. The section's a little bigger than the Eco, and the plastic feels different -- not in a bad way, just different. The filling and cleaning is straightforward and quick. There's no reason I'd recommend against it if you're thinking about it.

Thanks, a slip cap would actually be less annoying for me at work as long as it doesn't eventually ruin itself like my Safari.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

atholbrose posted:

The converter situation is kind of poo poo; none of them work well. Carts are the way to go. (I don't mind this and you can always clean out a cart and put a different ink in it for the Classic. I just bought one in the new orange Fox color with a double-broad nib and it's pretty nice. I own four of them. Oh, wait, I'm supposed to be talking you out of it...)

Or just put some silicone grease in and turn it into an eyedropper. Or refilling cartridges with whatever ink you want. Which is a bit less fiddly, given that Kawecos aren't transparent (at least I haven't seen any).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Or just put some silicone grease in and turn it into an eyedropper. Or refilling cartridges with whatever ink you want. Which is a bit less fiddly, given that Kawecos aren't transparent (at least I haven't seen any).

Kaweco has an entire line of transparent Sports called the Ice Sports.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Well, now I have an excuse to buy another Kaweco.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Drone posted:

Well I guess this does it in for me, as being able to use whatever ink I so choose is about 50% of the draw of fountain pens for me.

I'm looking for something as a potential replacement for my Lamy Safari as a daily driver. I live in Germany, where people apparently say that fountain pens are more common (kids apparently still learn to write with them here?), and I always get the feeling that Lamy specifically is associated with that as the biggest German-made pen brand. I get people occasionally commenting about how they remember their first Safari, which I guess is cool because of the shared experience, but also a bit eh because I'm a 31 year old using a pen that people around me associate with childhood.

Unfortunately the Pilot Metropolitans are apparently super hard to find here, so I'm looking for something similar in quality to both that aren't cartridge-only and don't look too ridiculous or flashy for an everyday office setting.

Diplomat pens are made in Germany and very lovely and reliable. I have the Esteem in matte black. I also had the same pen in two other colours but they turned out very ugly, just go for a neutral colour if you do end up getting one. They are standard c/c.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

As a lefty, I've got my underwriting technique down, so I don't smudge what I just wrote. But it can still be a problem when I'm writing on the right page of a notebook and my left hand is all over the left page, making a mess.

I kinda wanna try writing pages from right to left to avoid this problem. I'm almost at the end of my Musubi (thanks, Kessel) and am looking for another notebook that's lined (sorry, Kessel), but that doesn't have a bunch of extra little things like page numbers that prescribe writing left to right.

Essentially, it just needs to be totally blank (except for the lines) with no additional features, and preferably has a spine that lets it lie flat. What's a quality notebook that I could look into?

(I loved the concept of the Musubi bookmark/line rule sheet, but in practice it was too much fussing with it to keep it lined up with the current page, as it would keep slipping out a little bit whenever I lifted my hand. Think I'd rather just have a lined notebook.)

Late to this, but you've got a lot of options now. I've recently been looking at the new notebooks from this Malaysian lady (Elia Note) and they might be quite nice for your needs.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Been having lots of fun making random colours with some food dye.

Saw a tip online that it works in a pinch as ink and it's good for a bit of fun

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

movax posted:

I love my Pilot Precise V5 / Pilot Precise V5 RTs to death, but looking to try out fountain pen(ing). I'm an engineer, so most of my writing is on Roaring Spring 95182 (jesus I'm going to die alone) in small all caps / circuit diagrams / etc.

The Pilots I believe are already 0.5mm width; I have one 0.38mm Pilot G2 that I find too "scratchy" sometimes. Should I be looking at a fine tip Metropolitan as pen, and then some "vanilla" blue or black ink that looks good on buff engineering paper?

I just picked up a Pilot Metro with a fine nib as my first fountain pen, and I used V5s exclusively. Like, I’ve missed the bus to turn around and go home and get my V5 so I wouldn’t have to use a ballpoint. It’s been a completely seamless transition for me. Maybe a little scratchy when it’s dry, but otherwise the same but better. A little wetter and the pen is heavier but it’s been a perfect replacement so far. I write on legal pads and an inexpensive but heavy paper journal.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kaweco sport clip + moonman mini = A++ would buy another one

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Plinkey posted:

kaweco sport clip + moonman mini = A++ would buy another one

I'm waiting for a Moonman mini in the mail, I can't wait for such a cool little pen

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

404notfound posted:

As a lefty, I've got my underwriting technique down, so I don't smudge what I just wrote. But it can still be a problem when I'm writing on the right page of a notebook and my left hand is all over the left page, making a mess.

I kinda wanna try writing pages from right to left to avoid this problem. I'm almost at the end of my Musubi (thanks, Kessel) and am looking for another notebook that's lined (sorry, Kessel), but that doesn't have a bunch of extra little things like page numbers that prescribe writing left to right.

Essentially, it just needs to be totally blank (except for the lines) with no additional features, and preferably has a spine that lets it lie flat. What's a quality notebook that I could look into?

(I loved the concept of the Musubi bookmark/line rule sheet, but in practice it was too much fussing with it to keep it lined up with the current page, as it would keep slipping out a little bit whenever I lifted my hand. Think I'd rather just have a lined notebook.)

As a lefty, one technique I used in small notebooks to avoid that problem is to put a piece of blotter paper on the left page to avoid smearing ink with my hand when writing on the right page. I put one of those tabs on the blotter paper as well so I can bookmark where I am. It's also handy if I write something quickly and close the notebook.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm still really digging my 580ALR, much more than I expected. I think, though, that I'd like to save up for one really nice pen. I don't write by hand quite enough to justify a huge collection of pens, so whatever I get, that'll probably be the only really nice pen I own for the foreseeable future. If you were going to buy one pen in the $100+ range, what would you get? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 or a Pilot Custom 823/912 (though I don't have strong feelings on which). Anything else I should definitely consider in that $100-300 price range?

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 19, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MockingQuantum posted:

If you were going to buy one pen in the $100+ range, what would you get? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 or a Pilot Custom 823/912 (though I don't have strong feelings on which). Anything else I should definitely consider in that price range?

100+ is a hilariously overly broad price range, but narrowing it down to between the pens you mentioned. You also have to consider the Platinum 3776 and Sailor 1911L(Sailor nibs are so choice). Though if you like the 580 they're a touch on the short side, and don't have nearly the ink capacity. The Opus 88 Kolero Demonstrator might be worth a look if you want a pen that holds all the ink, plus it uses a jowo nib so you have a whole host of options to swap it out with. The 912 is a nice, but staggeringly boring pen. The Lamy 2K is a classic that everyone should write with at least once. And the 823 is one of my favorite pens, so forget everything else I said and get that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

howe_sam posted:

100+ is a hilariously overly broad price range, but narrowing it down to between the pens you mentioned. You also have to consider the Platinum 3776 and Sailor 1911L(Sailor nibs are so choice). Though if you like the 580 they're a touch on the short side, and don't have nearly the ink capacity. The Opus 88 Kolero Demonstrator might be worth a look if you want a pen that holds all the ink, plus it uses a jowo nib so you have a whole host of options to swap it out with. The 912 is a nice, but staggeringly boring pen. The Lamy 2K is a classic that everyone should write with at least once. And the 823 is one of my favorite pens, so forget everything else I said and get that.

Whoops, yes, I meant to say "up to $300" when I mentioned the pens I was looking at. I'll take a look at all of those though, thanks for the recommendations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like my vanishing point, I think it was around 130 I just wish I had gone medium instead of fine on the nib.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've always really wanted a VP, I'd love to get one, but also whatever pen I get, it's not really ever going to leave the house. I'm willing to pay more for a nicer writing experience and forego the clicky mechanism, assuming whatever I'm looking at is indeed a better writer than a VP, I've never used them so I have no point of comparison.

But it'd be drat cool to have a clicky fountain pen, even if it'd be totally pointless for my use.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm also a huge fan of my VP and it's a fantastic writer even if you don't care about the clicky-mechanism. The only drawback is possibly ink capacity if you don't plan on refilling cartridges since Pilot decided to discontinue the best converter for... reasons?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm also a huge fan of my VP and it's a fantastic writer even if you don't care about the clicky-mechanism. The only drawback is possibly ink capacity if you don't plan on refilling cartridges since Pilot decided to discontinue the best converter for... reasons?

Ehhh I already syringe-fill cartridges for my Metro so it's not a huge deal. I'm basically looking for the best nib/writing quality-to-price proposition. Stuff like filling mechanism, capacity, body style, whatever are all secondary.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I found my VP with a medium nib for about $90 on Amazon a few months back and I love it so much I haven't thought to buy anything else since.

The only downside is if you go Amazon and want a cheap one you will be getting it in black and gold which looks classy but is boring. The other colors, at least when I looked last, jumped up nearer to MSRP.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm still really digging my 580ALR, much more than I expected. I think, though, that I'd like to save up for one really nice pen. I don't write by hand quite enough to justify a huge collection of pens, so whatever I get, that'll probably be the only really nice pen I own for the foreseeable future. If you were going to buy one pen in the $100+ range, what would you get? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 or a Pilot Custom 823/912 (though I don't have strong feelings on which). Anything else I should definitely consider in that $100-300 price range?

I’m still fair novice to the fountain pen aficionado club, but like you, I bought a 580 ALR and really like it. Still, it made me lust for an even nicer pen. It didn’t take long to succumb.

My next purchase was a Lamy 2000. Nibsmith will tune the nib of any pen he sells, and will regrind and adjust flow for a reasonable fee. My Lamy has a medium nib, ground to an italic point and adjusted to be a bit wetter than standard. It’s a wonderful pen that I use daily and cost just over $200 (including the regrind).

I also have a Pelikan M400 Souverän, which is my absolute favorite, but that is a little over your budget. That said, the nib is wondrously smooth and you can swap an M400 nib into the M200, which I think would come in at the upper end of your budget.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sankis posted:

I found my VP with a medium nib for about $90 on Amazon a few months back and I love it so much I haven't thought to buy anything else since.

The only downside is if you go Amazon and want a cheap one you will be getting it in black and gold which looks classy but is boring. The other colors, at least when I looked last, jumped up nearer to MSRP.

I got a silver one on eBay for under a hundred and the matte black ones show up for 110 or so pretty often if you watch them.

I love my silver one but it came with a gold colored steel nib that writes insanely fine. I want to replace it with a rhodium plated nib but those are so expensive.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Sankis posted:

Not necessarily. I got mine on Amazon for just under $90 as well and it's white with rhodium trim.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Might have just been a bad time when I got mine then. Too bad, but it's still a fabulous pen.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've been having some fun with using food dye as ink

It works well enough and lets you play with some mixing for real cheap.

The base red/pink available at my local supermarket is a lovely deep maroon at 4 dollars for 50ml

grack
Jan 10, 2012

PenBBS is apparently introducing a new model in the next couple of days.

It has a Conid Bulkfiller-type detachable piston filler and will cost ~$40

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av38913268?fbclid=IwAR2IsdTACNkrLjYGeO5SkhnRI4DzB39WbuIK4U95yN9OIyVxm4pO2nVu91w

Holy gently caress

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

bulkfiller-type is an understatement. some of the Slack folks have already ordered one to test but it looks like they simply dismantled a Conid and copied the patented design wholesale

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Where are they ordering from? Taobao?

Edit: VVV #6

grack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 25, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What size is that nib?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kessel posted:

bulkfiller-type is an understatement. some of the Slack folks have already ordered one to test but it looks like they simply dismantled a Conid and copied the patented design wholesale

They likely did exactly that, it certainly looks that way to me. Even if they did, they're Chinese, there's nothing CONID can do to get them to stop selling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Bulkfiller has a rotating metal catch at the back of the barrel to capture the piston head. In the video I linked, the 355 does not.

Specifically, the 355 seems to be missing this part:

So I don't think they're the same design.