Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
video game ads, especially for RPGs or slow-burn games, are always misleading. I still laugh every time I see the New Vegas trailers that try to make it look like a great action FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

pc gaming is laughable

yeah i just constantly lol while playing pc games, just laughing and having a great time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

yeah i just constantly lol while playing pc games, just laughing and having a great time

so, weeping while jacking off...or....?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

so, weeping while jacking off...or....?

nah i only jack it when i'm playing a Bioware or Witcher game, the rest of the time i'm just having a good time and laughing out loud

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Halser posted:

video game ads, especially for RPGs or slow-burn games, are always misleading. I still laugh every time I see the New Vegas trailers that try to make it look like a great action FPS.

I always laugh when something is advertised as 'gameplay trailer' means they did some editing on some of the game's pre-rendered cinematics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

nah i only jack it when i'm playing a Bioware or Witcher game, the rest of the time i'm just having a good time and laughing out loud

I'll leave you to your humorous trash then, noble goon

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

not an opinion but i have been messing with this super weird old NES game called Nightshade and it is so bizarre i had to look it up and make sure it wasn't someone's 8-but game jam entry or something, it's kind of cool

Man I loving love nightshade as a concept but the combat sucks, not to mention that the interface can be a bit unwieldy. The humour is good and the dialogue is real fun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Furia posted:

Man I loving love nightshade as a concept but the combat sucks, not to mention that the interface can be a bit unwieldy. The humour is good and the dialogue is real fun

i thought the combat was kind of ahead of its time just in terms of how fast it manages to be, but so far i have done very little of it

the interface is atrocious though, yeah, spent ages walking past toki's crowbar without figuring out how to pick it up instead of read it

but it's like Spider-Man Noir as an NES game and it made a joke about delicious nuts and everything about it except maybe the music is really 110% great

e: btw i am messing with it because i got one of those handheld retro TEN MILLION GAMES IN ONE - PLUS TETRIS! things for xmas from a relative and tossed batteries in to be polite, only to discover that it has like half of Capcom's NES library on there and a bunch of insane cool poo poo from Data East as well as other bizarre stuff. even the buttons on this thing feel great, they're like springy NES buttons. the screen blows rear end chunks but honestly it is way way cooler than i expected it to be when i opened the package. the box heavily advertises mega man 2 but when you turn it on GASP it also has the much-superior mega man 3, and commando, and ghosts n goblins...

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 20, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

here's a cool unpopular videogame opinion for ya

Video games are better than movies at retelling a book. A book is a book, a video game is the cliffnotes, a movie is a drunk guy at a bar explaining the book to you. Movie's more entertaining but you miss out on a whole lot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know, the harry potter movies were a lot better at telling those stories than the games, and the godfather game was okay and didn't tell the story of the book very well but the movie was great

I think that's really a ymmv judgement

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jokes posted:

here's a cool unpopular videogame opinion for ya

Video games are better than movies at retelling a book. A book is a book, a video game is the cliffnotes, a movie is a drunk guy at a bar explaining the book to you. Movie's more entertaining but you miss out on a whole lot.

I dunno, they all do different things and often try to cop each other's method but mostly fail.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm not saying they're better or worse productions. I'm saying as a medium video games are better suited to be a better adaptation of a novel than a movie.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

I'm not saying they're better or worse productions. I'm saying as a medium video games are better suited to be a better adaptation of a novel than a movie.

I think in theory that's true but I'm having trouble thinking of even 1 example where that's the case. Like, was Silent Hill based on a book? That'd be a good example if it was

Barudak
May 7, 2007

El Shaddai is better than the book its based on, and despite being a bit of a bomb, still may have had a wider audience than its source material

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

El Shaddai is better than the book its based on, and despite being a bit of a bomb, still may have had a wider audience than its source material

el shaddai was fuckin' cool as hell but uh it's source material is biblical apocrypha, right? like i'm pretty sure the Bible Deluxe Edition: Deleted Scenes probably have more of a reach than a low-run ps3 beat 'em up

was there a specific work it was closely tied to that i didn't know or something? because that would be cool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jokes posted:

Maybe, simply due to length. But that really depends on the editing process and how well it meshes with production design, etc.

It really comes down to the material and who's adapting it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Does I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream count?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

I think in theory that's true but I'm having trouble thinking of even 1 example where that's the case. Like, was Silent Hill based on a book? That'd be a good example if it was

parasite eve

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
David Cage has demonstrated movies and books to be obsolete.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

David Cage has demonstrated movies and books to be obsolete.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

QuarkJets posted:

Generally you don't get games directly based on books, like actual retellings of the book, like movies try to do. Instead it's something new based on the book, even in the case of something like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which is a broad expansion of a short story with a totally different ending. A notable pretty accurate retelling of a book in a game was The Black Cauldron.

In general I'd say movies are better at book adaptations than games are, at least with the examples we have so far, and games are much better at telling new stories in the same world. Games have potential to be good retellings of stories from books, but most of the time gameplay elements added to make them games are too much to add to a good book's story. Movies can be good retellings of books, but are often too short unless you're talking about something like a Carl Hiaasen book. I mean, are you really gonna make a good game out of To Kill A Mockingbird? What video game genre is Gone With The Wind?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

el shaddai was fuckin' cool as hell but uh it's source material is biblical apocrypha, right? like i'm pretty sure the Bible Deluxe Edition: Deleted Scenes probably have more of a reach than a low-run ps3 beat 'em up

was there a specific work it was closely tied to that i didn't know or something? because that would be cool

Its based primarily on an apocryphal book, but lots of its finer details (like while the final realm is an upside down triangle or why there is only one "villain" in the game) are from even more obscure versions/apocryphal stories based on the apocryphal book.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

signalnoise posted:

I mean, are you really gonna make a good game out of To Kill A Mockingbird?

it would either have to be a really lovely side scroller, or phoenix wright

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The fade in dragon age was actually pretty fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

aegof posted:

Does I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream count?

The game was god awful and didn't tell the story well at all. Was it also made into a movie?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the hitchhikers' guide game was probably better than the movie at capturing the feel of the books tbh

it was also like, written by douglas adams though, so that may have been a factor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ellison was heavily involved in the I Have No Mouth game and it was actually v good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

the hitchhikers' guide game was probably better than the movie at capturing the feel of the books tbh

it was also like, written by douglas adams though, so that may have been a factor

It was also intentionally designed to gently caress with the player by providing situations from the book that would get you killed if you did what was done in the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That fuckin game was great but was also infinite bullshit. The very first puzzle in the game is that you have to specifically "lay down in front of bulldozer" beg bc that's what Arthur does in the book, but there is literally zero in game hint about this, typing "block bulldozer" didn't work, nor did "stand in front of bulldozer". It sucked bc I had the game before I read it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solaris by Lem would make for a great adventure game adaptation in the style of I Have No Mouth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

That fuckin game was great but was also infinite bullshit. The very first puzzle in the game is that you have to specifically "lay down in front of bulldozer" beg bc that's what Arthur does in the book, but there is literally zero in game hint about this, typing "block bulldozer" didn't work, nor did "stand in front of bulldozer". It sucked bc I had the game before I read it

Oh yeah, youre totally boned at multiple points if you didnt read the book and god help you if you didnt take your mail at the beginning of the game among many other things. If Douglas Adam's name was on the box you were about to have a bad time

One of his other games, bureaucracy, is similarly brutal but has an excellent starting joke. You have to fill in an information card prior to starting the game and a bunch of information is then messed with and everyone in the game goes off this wrong information, from a different spelling of your name to a the opposite gender you selected.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought bureaucracy was super hard but fair, as in you could actually figure out the puzzles eventually. The only one I recall being stuck on was the whole "write a negative number on a deposit slip then go to the withdrawal window" thing which was just bonkers logic

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

precision posted:

That’s as far as I ever got because it was just one of a pile of floppies with games on it and I had never read the book (at age 9)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

signalnoise posted:

I mean, are you really gonna make a good game out of To Kill A Mockingbird? What video game genre is Gone With The Wind?

Yes, ARPG for both-- To Kill A Mockingbird has an anime Pheonix Wright portion though, and Gone With The Wind's character screen is just that Kim Kardashian phone game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jokes posted:

Yes, ARPG for both.

Light gun game actually

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Whoa really fuckin amateur hour over here

It’s obvious a rhythm game

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Evil Within was not only better than The Evil Within 2 it was massively better.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

christmas boots posted:

Whoa really fuckin amateur hour over here

It’s obvious a rhythm game

It plays like a Thief game but Scarlett doesn't avoid guards, just responsibility and evidence of mistreatment of slaves.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With the exception of Nintendo, any time a game hits #3 in a modern franchise, it's better to let it die and just release any/every sequel you wanted to make with a whole new title unrelated to it. No more title/subtitle/number games

Just act like you haven't made a single 'Call of Duty' game for like 12 years so you, the audience and the gaming press can all pretend you're churning out fresh IPs all the time. That way when things get lovely you can also act like, "Call of Duty is BACK" when you finally run out of ideas and want to revive a fan favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played call of duty 2 recently actually and it holds up really well. Graphically, no, but gunning down my friends was funner there than in modern titles.

Although I suppose it was rough having faction-based kits, but there also weren't killstreaks so.