Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

infernal machines posted:

please don't support Neo-fascists ironically or otherwise

For clarification, it was free at the time, and I figured they would cull the obvious fake name and address, but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

So, on a lark, I decided to become a proud founding member of the Peoples' Party of Canada. I even got my official Founding Member certificate today!

As a founding member, I get premier access to schizophrenic diatribes about how Max is the destined ruler of all of Canada. Format as in the original email.

max sounds like he has a saviour complex

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Who can UNITE OUR COUNTRY around concrete solutions?

I am the ONLY ONE.

I see Bernier really pushing back hard against the perception his party is a one man show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Turns out I don't like waiting a long time or doing a lot of paperwork.

Well good news, the green card lottery doesn't necessarily require either!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Another Bill posted:

Yeah but from there it's a minimum 5 years until you can apply for citizenship and not be a second class non voter who can lose residency for spending some time outside the usa right? I dunno, I have only looked into it at the shallowest depths.

Postess with the Mostest has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Dec 20, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Helsing posted:

I see Bernier really pushing back hard against the perception his party is a one man show.

The People's Party Of Appreciating How Great I Am

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Bill posted:

Canadians were never eligible for the "diversity visa" - it excludes top ten or so sources of immigrants by country of birth. Also I thought Trump had cancelled it somehow but that was apparently bluster. (Big shock, I know)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Helsing posted:

on the other hand the people that vote for him believe that a single figurehead runs the entire government and has their finger on the pulse on literally every function of the country so if he can convince them he's that person it doesnt matter what schmucks he puts in what ridings, its all bern all the time

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

conservatives want nothing more than to be micromanaged and dominated by a strong burly bear of a man

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

James Baud posted:

Canadians were never eligible for the "diversity visa" - it excludes top ten or so sources of immigrants by country of birth. Also I thought Trump had cancelled it somehow but that was apparently bluster. (Big shock, I know)

Maybe thats changed because when i was turning 18 I knew a ton of people jumping into the lottery ASAP

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's clearly a riff on "I alone can fix it",

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wrenever posted:

BUILD

THAT

PIPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZVzyKuqmMQ

1.6 Billion in aid? gently caress you. Bild dat PIPE

$46 a barrel? ($28 for WCS?) gently caress you, build that pipe!!!

Notley buying trains to ship muh oil? gently caress that, build the pipe!!!

Trudeau actually buying pipeline? fucka you ottowa man, where's pipe?!

PIEP WILL SAVE US

PEEP GIVE JOB

BILD PIPE :(

it's such a hilariously grotesque spectacle because there's not a single person at any level of government or business that's willing to publicly state the obvious, which is that permanent extra transport capacity is a loving loony tunes idea in a world that has about ten years to massively decarbonize everything or drown in its own hubris

the only way trudeau could have had a chance of successfully navigating this would be if he had grown some balls, stated that oil futures are doomed, and then committed billions towards transitioning alberta's economy towards alternative energy and agriculture (which is, in all likelihood, going to become hugely important if precipitation models for the next 30-40 years are accurate). instead he wasted billions on a loving phantom pipeline and pissed people off even more because he's a) never going to get it built and b) cannot do anything else without pissing off his core base that doesn't want the planet to descend into heat-fueled chaos

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He’s a neo-liberal to the core so is assuming that everyone in Alberta will rationally choose to do something else.

You know, market conditions and such.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i gave them exactly what they wanted, surely they'll like me now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Another Bill posted:

Maybe thats changed because when i was turning 18 I knew a ton of people jumping into the lottery ASAP

did any of them get green cards out of it?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

What? Like Harper?

He's a ph'r, it doesn't count.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Terror Sweat posted:

Trudeau being Fidel’s son is pretty hilarious if it were true

either way he's a fraction of the leader his father was

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

either way he's a fraction of the leader his father was

instead of running away to join the circus he ran away to join the centrist thinktank

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vermain posted:

it's such a hilariously grotesque spectacle because there's not a single person at any level of government or business that's willing to publicly state the obvious, which is that permanent extra transport capacity is a loving loony tunes idea in a world that has about ten years to massively decarbonize everything or drown in its own hubris

the only way trudeau could have had a chance of successfully navigating this would be if he had grown some balls, stated that oil futures are doomed, and then committed billions towards transitioning alberta's economy towards alternative energy and agriculture (which is, in all likelihood, going to become hugely important if precipitation models for the next 30-40 years are accurate). instead he wasted billions on a loving phantom pipeline and pissed people off even more because he's a) never going to get it built and b) cannot do anything else without pissing off his core base that doesn't want the planet to descend into heat-fueled chaos

but at least he's getting those vital conservative voters!!!!

*puts finger to earpiece* i've just been informed that they still think he's a communist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wrenever posted:

Trudeau actually buying pipeline? fucka you ottowa man, where's pipe?!

PIEP WILL SAVE US

PEEP GIVE JOB

BILD PIPE :(

also this still makes me laugh, good post

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

is there a lot of people in ontario that care about oil? the liberals courtship of albertan voters is baffling tbh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm also laughing at BILD PIEP

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

is there a lot of people in ontario that care

no

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Well it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. The people at Costco are spending a little extra time to sort through the clementines to make sure they get all good ones and if you're not willing to go the extra mile and check, well, you probably deserve two dozen rotten pieces of fruit in your stocking. There do exist universal canadian values, wish I could put it on an ornament and hang it from the tree.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

is there a lot of people in ontario that care about oil? the liberals courtship of albertan voters is baffling tbh

Like, literally anyone could tell you that a Liberal, especially one named Trudeau, is never ever going to win over Alberta conservatives. I cannot fathom why they are making this choice, its literally insane.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Sounds like a sheltered kid who needs everyone to love him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

well we put millions of dollars into sabotage and misinformation but we managed to finally defeat proportional representation in bc

hm for some mysterious reason everyone is still pissed off despite the problem being solved forever

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the feds are exempting big polluters from the carbon tax. will they get anything right by 2019?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

alot of people wont admit it but deep down every single canadian wishes he was american. the fact that canada even exists is an historical anomaly

every Fourth of July, Canadians gaze wistfully across the border and yearn to die in crushing poverty under the weight medical and student debt

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Picked myself up something to read. Might even make a thread of it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

the feds are exempting big polluters from the carbon tax. will they get anything right by 2019?

lol of course they are, can't inconvenience our booming oil industry that definitely isn't crashing

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'the magic carpet of Ignatieff's prose' is an actual thing that got said. how far do you have to be up your own rear end to write that down and think 'good job'?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Even more centrist Zhivago?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Hand Knit posted:

I already watched the film adaptation

https://youtu.be/4ZyDg2oikbQ

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/rent-control-opinion-1.4934398

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Welp, i'm never moving again

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ever read up on Vienna's public housing?

Article: Why rich people in Austria want to live in housing projects
Excerpt:

quote:

VIENNA, Austria — Think of the words social housing project. What comes to mind?

Do you envision lush parks, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and saunas? Probably not. But Austrians do.

About 3 in 5 residents of Austria's capital Vienna, rich and poor, live in a “Gemeindebau” — public housing provided and managed entirely by the city — as well as other subsidized social housing typically run by nonprofit associations.

“Vienna has always said that it doesn't want ghettos. Today, there is not one area where you wouldn't dare to go. There's a social balance throughout the districts, and a high quality of life, peace and security,” says Christiane Daxbock from the office of the city counselor for housing. And residents agree.

Rich and poor live side-by-side, a fact that residents take pride in, she explains, as she sells a lottery ticket to an elderly woman adorned with expensive jewelry.

Globally, Vienna frequently ranks among the cities with the highest quality of life. Much of that is attributed to social housing.

The apartments set the bar high in terms of the maximum eligible income: about $46,000 — roughly twice the average annual income.

For a Gemeindebau apartment, the average rent per square foot is just under 50 cents, and 70 cents for new properties. The average among private housing is more than double, at $1.35.

This should be describing every city. As a policy plank, public housing should be up there with UHC.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Accretionist posted:

Ever read up on Vienna's public housing?

Article: Why rich people in Austria want to live in housing projects
Excerpt:

This should be describing every city. As a policy plank, public housing should be up there with UHC.

Wait a minute here, rich and poor live side by side when the social housing has an income cutoff of $46,000/year? (Double the median income so something like 70,000 CAD here.)

That's a pretty loose definition of rich, shades of Alexa McDonough telling Ontario autoworkers they were too wealthy and would be taxed into submission.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

there's a reason he only says economists believe rent control is bad, and that's because we know the bullshit they warned would happen with rent control actually didn't happen. and we've known this since the 80s, after numerous studies. but they still believe it's bad. they should know, they went to school for capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we also know with 100% certainty it has no effect on supply, because rent control was not applied to any units built or converted after 1991, and yet there was still insufficient supply.

turns out rent control or no, it's still way more profitable to build condos.