Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The sane thing would be to sue the Taliban for peace. Don't believe its politically possible.

We've had 17 years to come up with a Marshall plan for the middle east and they still can't tell you the difference between Sunni and Shia or what the primary language of Afghanistan is. It's going to get much worse now that we've completely abandoned our diplomatic responsibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The Taliban isn't interested in any serious peace talks because they believe they can win with force, and they're probably right.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gort posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees that the US should leave Afghanistan at some point in time. The thing is that leaving right now dooms the country to Taliban rule and the mass-killings that will go along with it.

One moral thing the US might do is evacuate Afghans and their families who have worked with their occupation, so they're safe from Taliban reprisals, but my hopes are not high for that.

Pretty sure we've already dropped the ball on that one and refused to bring a bunch of translators/informants/etc over because of vague "security" reasons, dooming them to die via bloody reprisals from militants.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

SoggyBobcat posted:

The Taliban isn't interested in any serious peace talks because they believe they can win with force, and they're probably right.
Suing for peace is initiated by the loser to avoid unconditional surrender.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
"i know we've lost the war but i don't think we should give up until we've actually won the war"

what a loving take

if we could have created a stable environment where power could be handed off successfully then we wouldn't be in this situation because we would have won the loving war in the first place. instead its an absolute nightmare hellscape of our own creation and we can never, ever fix it by doing anything remotely similar to what we've been doing. we're holding a shattered vase together with our hands. we need to withdraw them, but the minute we do the whole thing will fall apart. what are we gonna do, hold it together for eternity, hoping the shards will somehow fuse back together if we hold it together tight enough? its ridiculous.

we hosed everything up, there's absolutely no fixing it by our own hands. we can't make poo poo right. we employed various factions to help us overthrow existing power structures, and we lost; there are going to be bloody, horrific consequences we can't avoid. this is the cost of war, especially the price the losers pay. america doesn't get to get out with a feel good win. we stirred the pot and brought forth all of this sectarian violence in the first place

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is absolutely moral cowardice, and a total loving coffee shop communist power move to bitch and moan about ethics of global hegemony, disregard all other options, and to just blatantly state "well it's not our problem we should turtle at our own continent." Just like we pay taxes and take part in a society, americans live in a world of people and governments, and as long as there is power, authority, and capability to do something about the world, the correct action is to take action and not just sit idly by. The fact that the wars blow hard, are poorly led, and that the foreign policy blunders from one disaster to another doesn't mean the alternative is to just not do anything. I'm red as all hell, but that doesn't mean that I'd be cool with ignoring the conflicts of the world. Maybe Lightning Knight can go ask the old french ladies who own coffee shops in Normany who cry when veterans come there, and use old brooms to chase german tourists out of their shops? Maybe go visit Srebrenica? What about my bosniak immigrant neighbor whose family rode on back of NATO vehicles away from the onslaught of the Sprska Army, literally as artillery shells rained on them? They thought the american planes that struck the loving tank in their loving market next to their loving home were pretty cool.

The most american imperialist move is to sit idly by in the continent and chill on being a superpower that doesn't have to do anything abroad. Just like the rich kids at Beverly Hills. Well quess what? Other countries aren't so fortunate that they get to export war, it always comes to them, just like it comes for Ukrainians and Kurds, and then they will either fight or die when they face genocide, just like the Jews, Bosniaks, Kosovar people, and countless others. Doing 100 percent to make American, and NATO, foreign aid/power projection more ethical, efficient, humane, and palatable is the correct action to take, not cozying it up in your gated community.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 21, 2018

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

enraged_camel posted:

We should start keeping an XLS of your worthless posts.

:hmmyes:

Keep me posted on that

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Vahakyla posted:

It is absolutely moral cowardice, and a total loving coffee shop communist power move to bitch and moan about ethics of global hegemony, disregard all other options, and to just blatantly state "well it's not our problem we should turtle at our own continent." Just like we pay taxes and take part in a society, americans live in a world of people and governments, and as long as there is power, authority, and capability to do something about the world, the correct action is to take action and not just sit idly by. The fact that the wars blow hard, are poorly led, and that the foreign policy blunders from one disaster to another doesn't mean the alternative is to just not do anything. I'm red as all hell, but that doesn't mean that I'd be cool with ignoring the conflicts of the world. Maybe Lightning Knight can go ask the old french ladies who own coffee shops in Normany who cry when veterans come there, and use old brooms to chase german tourists out of their shops? Maybe go visit Srebrenica? What about my bosniak immigrant neighbor whose family rode on back of NATO vehicles away from the onslaught of the Sprska Army, literally as artillery shells rained on them? They thought the american planes that struck the loving tank in their loving market next to their loving home were pretty cool.

The most american imperialist move is to sit idly by in the continent and chill on being a superpower that doesn't have to do anything abroad. Just like the rich kids at Beverly Hills. Well quess what? Other countries aren't so fortunate that they get to export war, it always comes to them, just like it comes for Ukrainians and Kurds, and then they will either fight or die when they face genocide, just like the Jews, Bosniaks, Kosovar people, and countless others. Doing 100 percent to make American, and NATO, foreign aid/power projection more ethical, efficient, humane, and palatable is the correct action to take, not cozying it up in your gated community.

What is ethical and humane about permanently occupying Afghanistan with no viable exit strategy? We're literally the most militarily belligerent country in the entire world, are other countries failing to be ethical and humane by not engaging in middle east forever war like we do? Comparing the loving Afghanistan war to WWII is beyond laughable, it's entirely the fault of idiotic American military belligerence that this stupid conflict even exists. It will not be solved by yet more idiotic American military belligerence.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 21, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

What is ethical and humane about permanently occupying Afghanistan with no viable exit strategy? We're literally the most militarily belligerent country in the entire world, are other countries failing to be ethical and humane by not engaging in middle east forever war like we do? Comparing the loving Afghanistan war to WWII is beyond laughable, it's entirely the fault of idiotic American military belligerence that this stupid conflict even exists.

You are being obtuse on purpose. I didn't say that Afghanistan is the hallmark to compare to WW2, I said total isolationism is wrong.

Afghanistan's coalition had 60 or so countries.
Iraq has similar amounts.
Check out UN Interim Force in Lebanon, or the Galilee Security Force. Or UNPROFOR, or KFOR in Kosovo.

Syria's operation has, publicly:
Australia (Operation Okra)
Bahrain
Belgium
Canada (Operation Impact § In Syria – pulling out soon[191])
France (Opération Chammal)
Germany (Operation Counter Daesh)
Netherlands on 29 January 2016 decided to start air attacks in Syria on ISIL (see Dutch involvement in the Syrian Civil War)
Jordan (Jordanian intervention in the Syrian Civil War)
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Turkey (Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War)
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom (Operation Shader § Intervention in Syria)
United States (Leader)

Not counting that plenty of other european countries have their Special Forces in the country from Italy to Finland.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 21, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's a great thing, because clearly we will reduce the defense budget by hundreds of billions of dollars in light of the fact we aren't really going to be doing much overseas now, and thus need a fraction of our current funding.

Right?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Wanting to pull out of an unwinnable 17-year long war is not "isolationism." Pretty much no one is an actual isolationist and it's basically nothing but a slur in foreign policy discussion. I support diplomacy and military force in some cases, not decades long regime change and nation building wars, that is a far cry from "isolationism."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Wanting to pull out of an unwinnable 17-year long war is not "isolationism." Pretty much no one is an actual isolationist and it's basically nothing but a slur in foreign policy discussion. I support diplomacy and military force in some cases, not decades long regime change and nation building wars, that is a far cry from "isolationism."

I like how to you Afghanistan is the only conflict in the world at this moment because it is the one you read about.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

what a crock of poo poo. i don't think anyone here has even been arguing for isolationism in the first place. as lightning knight said, and i think most in the thread agrees with him, is that we're anti-interventionalist. and more importantly absolutely opposed to the occupations in the first place.

i think you'll find unanimous agreement that international institutions should be strengthened and a new, unified diplomatic approach enforced by multi-national cooperation should be the order of the day. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagreed

but the us is not out in the world solving humanitarian problems and liberating oppressed peoples. we're not in kurdish territory to protect the kurds in the first place. that whole situation is one of our own creation. its a by product of our intentionally exacerbating tensions to get their help in destabilizing the region. the plan has never been to protect the kurds or afghan collaborators short of total victory and we failed that in both places and we'll never achieve it.

america is not out doing good in world, just look in our own backyard. mexico has gone through a bloody drug war/borderline civil war, coups in honduras, civil wars throughout the continent. we fueled and funded death squads there for goodness sake. we're tear gassing the refugees at the border

multinational intervention is necessary, better if we can improve our institutions. but he current occupations need to end. we've lost the wars and have to pay to consequences. there is no fixing any of it. if the international community can put something together to protect endangered ethnic groups then good, they should. in the mean time the us has to get out

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Vahakyla posted:

I like how to you Afghanistan is the only conflict in the world at this moment because it is the one you read about.

Where on earth did that come from? I never said or implied such a thing. It's just one of the most pointless and unwinnable conflicts that we are involved in. To suggest that wanting to end a 17-year long regime change and nation building war is "isolationism" is absolutely absurd. What exactly do you think should be done in Afghanistan?

NATO is about defense. Regime change and nation building with its stunning success in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya is not about defense. It has just caused endless amounts of death and destruction that didn't have to happen.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 21, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

What happens? I mean initially there will be upheaval and discontent. poo poo will probably go down. And then countries will adjust to the new equilibrium. No single country has the economic or military basis to fill that void in the near-term, the Russians and Chinese aren't going to wave a magic wand and give themselves 10 aircraft carrier battlegroups.

We never should've established a world order predicated on spending trillions of dollars and sending tens of thousands of soldiers abroad to nanny the rest of the world.

Lightning Knight posted:

North Korea isn't actually in a military position to invade South Korea and it's not clear to me why if that happened we should want to be in a position where we are automatically on the hook to go to war for another country. There's a default assumption that if [country] invades [other country] that it is therefore our problem that I inherently disagree with. It's time to stop assuming everyone else's problems are our problems.

Lightning Knight posted:

If you're referring to World War I, I would argue American intervention in World War I was harmful so lol.

Lightning Knight posted:

We already aren't gonna do poo poo to help anything east of Germany because no one is actually willing to go to war with Russia and risk nukes for them. Just because Russia are huge pieces of poo poo to their neighbors doesn't behoove us to do something about it militarily, nor is hard power the only available response.

This is textbook "very concerned but not my neighborhood".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Vahakyla posted:

the most imperialist move is to stop engaging in imperialist wars?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

"I'm red as hell" but have foreign policy views indistinguishable from Bill Kristol, John Podhoretz, and David Frum.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

"I'm red as hell" but have foreign policy views indistinguishable from Bill Kristol, John Podhoretz, and David Frum.

I think the Kurds should get to have their communism, too, along with Bosnians and Kosovar.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Afghanistan's coalition had 60 or so countries.
Iraq has similar amounts.

What the gently caress? We literally went in only with Tony "should be in the Hague" Blair and loving poland. it was a loving soundbite for gods sake.

Calling iraq a global coalition is the most :thunk: take of all time. are you actually thomas friedman?

e: honestly the rest of your posts are even worse. literally all the problems in the world are because of the US's poo poo policy. daesh and the taliban? caused by the loving us! russia destabilizing countries? directly caused by shock therapy after the soviet union's collapse.

if there's a problem in the world, 90 to 1 its because america hosed with things in the recent past.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 21, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Vahakyla posted:

I think the Kurds should get to have their communism, too, along with Bosnians and Kosovar.

Syria and Afghanistan are very different situations, what do you think we should do in Afghanistan?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Syria and Afghanistan are very different situations, what do you think we should do in Afghanistan?

A gradual drawdown hopefully soon. Long term some small assistance and advice to ANA but that's it. As of things like UNIFIL or KFOR? Maybe couple more decades. Operations in Syria? Until Kurds are independent.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 21, 2018

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Vahakyla posted:

It is absolutely moral cowardice,

Nice to know we've been in this stupid hellwar so long we've done a full timeloop back to the start when anyone who raised an opposing voice was immediately branded a coward, a sniveling traitor, a pussy who didn't dare wet himself in the blood of tbe enemy like a real American.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

A big flaming stink posted:

russia destabilizing countries? directly caused by shock therapy after the soviet union's collapse.

This would be a thing no matter what, the Soviets weren't exactly exporting peace and love to the myriad of oppressive dictatorships they also created unless you think Russia would have developed better and decided to join the fraternity of the EU/Western democracies

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wilhelm posted:

This would be a thing no matter what, the Soviets weren't exactly exporting peace and love to the myriad of oppressive dictatorships they also created unless you think Russia would have developed better and decided to join the fraternity of the EU/Western democracies

No but you see, we could ignore it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ThirdEmperor posted:

Nice to know we've been in this stupid hellwar so long we've done a full timeloop back to the start when anyone who raised an opposing voice was immediately branded a coward, a sniveling traitor, a pussy who didn't dare wet himself in the blood of tbe enemy like a real American.

Spoiler Alert: Afghanistan isn't the only conflict in the world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Spoiler Alert: Afghanistan isn't the only conflict in the world.

Indeed, the Global War on Terror now spans 40% of the countries in the world.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
No Democrat will be able to leave Afghanistan without being labelled a snivelling coward by Fox News and the Right Wing War Machine.

Trump can actually do it. He'll gently caress it up, but he can do it. Doing it fast might make the in-country elites more willing to negotiate, though I think no matter what Trump does it's going to end up with Helicopters evacuating off the top of the Embassy. Only this time they won't be taking any refugee's with them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

No Democrat will be able to leave Afghanistan without being labelled a snivelling coward by Fox News and the Right Wing War Machine.

Trump can actually do it. He'll gently caress it up, but he can do it. Doing it fast might make the in-country elites more willing to negotiate, though I think no matter what Trump does it's going to end up with Helicopters evacuating off the top of the Embassy. Only this time they won't be taking any refugee's with them.

Is it good that we GTFO Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria under the terms Trump sets, even if it means we leave? Do we leave by any means necessary or do we try, and actively TRY, to do the right thing?

The thing is with all of this, is that it’s a trolley problem except over an entire city and a loving poo poo for brains is somehow allowed to drive multiple trolleys. Also it’s rush hour traffic. There is no right or correct answer, morally or otherwise.

Most people here, minus one or two reprehensible dipshits, are on the same page: The US needs to stop loving around with other countries. HOW we get there, is an entirely other story.

No matter what option we take, is covered in the blood of mostly innocent people. We will never morally win any of this.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The US and the rest of the world would probably benefit from America not doing any more unilateral / tiny coalition military actions.

That said, it’s the only one of the major powers that even bothers to pay lip service to the idea of a better world. The fact that 95% of the time it doesn’t live up to that ideal (to put it mildly) is a separate point. And the press freedom / first amendment stuff is honestly a big deal.

Things the US * generally* doesn’t do (and it’s a scandal when it does):
- outright lie in the UN about things like whether it’s currently invading a country or not
- arrest or detain foreign journalists seeking to report on local conditions
- indefinitely detain foreigners without access to legal representation
- tell the world there is no medical crisis when in fact there is one that is spiralling out of control
- assassinate journalists
- assassinate expats who disagree with the current government
- disappear citizens for social media posts / taking part in a protest and return them dead to their families with the excuse “he fell down the stairs while playing hide and seek”

These things do matter. When the US makes any effort at all to stand up for its supposed principles, that has a small improvement in quality of life for a lot of people who live outside the US. When it runs a cart and horses through them, the opposite. But it’s not all bad all the time, at least as viewed from here, outside America. It’s one of the reasons we foreigners don’t like Trump - it lets all the other governments off the hook when the US is so nakedly self-interested.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Beefeater1980 posted:

The US and the rest of the world would probably benefit from America not doing any more unilateral / tiny coalition military actions.

That said, it’s the only one of the major powers that even bothers to pay lip service to the idea of a better world. The fact that 95% of the time it doesn’t live up to that ideal (to put it mildly) is a separate point. And the press freedom / first amendment stuff is honestly a big deal.

- outright lie in the UN about things like whether it’s currently invading a country or not
- tell the world there is no medical crisis when in fact there is one that is spiralling out of control
- disappear citizens for social media posts / taking part in a protest and return them dead to their families with the excuse “he fell down the stairs while playing hide and seek”

These things do matter. When the US makes any effort at all to stand up for its supposed principles, that has a small improvement in quality of life for a lot of people who live outside the US. When it runs a cart and horses through them, the opposite. But it’s not all bad all the time, at least as viewed from here, outside America. It’s one of the reasons we foreigners don’t like Trump - it lets all the other governments off the hook when the US is so nakedly self-interested.

Like half the things you said the US generally doesn't do are things it does all the time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I support not leaving Afganistan yet. The U.S. hosed the nation over and that can't be fixed. Our moral duty is now to the poor dumb idiots who bought into our bullshit. We should stay long enough to evacuate anyone who could be called collaborator when the Taliban roll in. Asylum, social support and an expedited path to U.S. citizenship to them and any Afghani schoolgirls (and their families) that want out get a free pass too.

Same with the Kurds.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Americans were barely a nation when Kurds were fighting for themselves and being Genocided, by the way. We haven’t taken the correct action, but that doesn’t mean the Kurds would be living it up now without us.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Re: Syria - It just seems to me that at this point, morally, supporting the Kurds is a superior choice to vacating and leaving them to be crushed by Turkey. The Original Sin of invading Iraq doesn't change that for me. If 2000 US troops can prevent, by their mere *presence* in a relatively small region, ethnic cleansing of tens of thousands of people, this seems a laudable goal, frankly, regardless of how they arrived. At this point, the aggressor is Turkey, to me.

Let us call for a negotiated settlement respecting the newly won liberties of the Kurds, internationalize the problem. Have UN peacekeepers come in, if Trump wants out so badly. At least trying this approach would be far more moral surely than simply cutting and running.

I know the various stakeholders would never agree to this initially. Certainly Turkey won't. Russia and Syria might, to stop Turkey occupying more of Syria for now. Iran, not sure. It's probably hopeless, but abandoning the Kurds is probably the WORST option in Syria. A peace of the grave, almost certainly. For the Kurds. They read Kropotkin, for gently caress sake.

Please resume your screaming.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

[quote="Beefeater1980" post=""490906944”"]
[/quote]
I think you’re a bit mistaken about a few of these things.

quote:

The bombing of Laos? And I’m guessing you’re excluding Iraq because we were lying to go to war not lying about the war.

quote:

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/28/ice-immigration-arrest-journalist-manuel-duran/

quote:

The US government actively argues in court they can detain a foreigner or American for 100 years without trial if they do choose. We have at least 40 foreigners detained indefinitely without trial.

quote:

Our current government is doing just that for the health crisis in America.

quote:

True, we usually aim for activists and political leaders.

quote:

We do this all the time, we just call them terrorists first and then use a drone.

quote:

True, thus far social media posts mocking politicians can only get you arrested or investigated by the police in America.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think “all the time” is a stretch. When the US does these things, it’s unusual enough to be newsworthy, and it’s legal to complain about it. That’s not universal.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The ironic thing is that Iraq 2 happened because the U.S
wanted to build a regional ally to check the other regional powers but whoops turns out bombing people until they love you doesn't work. A U.S. recognized Kurdish state is a rock loving solid ally for life the same way South Korea is.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rust Martialis posted:

Re: Syria - It just seems to me that at this point, morally, supporting the Kurds is a superior choice to vacating and leaving them to be crushed by Turkey. The Original Sin of invading Iraq doesn't change that for me. If 2000 US troops can prevent, by their mere *presence* in a relatively small region, ethnic cleansing of tens of thousands of people, this seems a laudable goal, frankly, regardless of how they arrived. At this point, the aggressor is Turkey, to me.

Let us call for a negotiated settlement respecting the newly won liberties of the Kurds, internationalize the problem. Have UN peacekeepers come in, if Trump wants out so badly. At least trying this approach would be far more moral surely than simply cutting and running.

I know the various stakeholders would never agree to this initially. Certainly Turkey won't. Russia and Syria might, to stop Turkey occupying more of Syria for now. Iran, not sure. It's probably hopeless, but abandoning the Kurds is probably the WORST option in Syria. A peace of the grave, almost certainly. For the Kurds. They read Kropotkin, for gently caress sake.

Please resume your screaming.

The second you voice support for an independent Kurdistan expect Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran to all be screaming bloody murder because last I checked the desired borders for a Kurdish state encompassed territory from all of them. Even if you limited the space to seized portions of Iraq and Syria, because god knows neither of those countries is actually equipped to control their borders, Iran and Turkey will still oppose it due to the precedent it would set and Turkish paranoia about the PKK having a base of operations. That said, Iran's complaints would probably be to get a good deal out of the whole thing and you could probably buy them off pretty easily. Erdogan, however, is real hungry for a genocide restrained police action that will make the Armenian genocide kerfluffle seem like a walk in the park.

But this is all hypothetical. We're going to leave, the Kurds are going to get crushed using weapons we sold to the Turks, and in exchange the Turks will lay off our dearest friend and closest ally who would never do anything to hurt us, Saudi Arabia.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is stopping the Republicans from using reconciliation I the Senate to pass the budget? I apologize if this is a dumb question

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rust Martialis posted:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The second you voice support for an independent Kurdistan expect Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran to all be screaming bloody murder because last I checked the desired borders for a Kurdish state encompassed territory from all of them. Even if you limited the space to seized portions of Iraq and Syria, because god knows neither of those countries is actually equipped to control their borders, Iran and Turkey will still oppose it due to the precedent it would set and Turkish paranoia about the PKK having a base of operations. That said, Iran's complaints would probably be to get a good deal out of the whole thing and you could probably buy them off pretty easily. Erdogan, however, is real hungry for a genocide restrained police action that will make the Armenian genocide kerfluffle seem like a walk in the park.

But this is all hypothetical. We're going to leave, the Kurds are going to get crushed using weapons we sold to the Turks, and in exchange the Turks will lay off our dearest friend and closest ally who would never do anything to hurt us, Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, the "good" option would be to recognize an independent Kurdistan, let them join NATO, and let the rest of the middle east cry about it, but that will never happen.

I guess we could let all the Kurds immigrate to America!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Just how terrible is Donald Trump at Risk anyway?