Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the unfortunate truth is that they ultimately were not able to perform surgery on a grape

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dogsicle posted:

the weird half episode of rape and not having any idea where the show is going for the next 9 months have kind of cooled me on sao, which is a shame because i was low-key enjoying it before

oh also they blew up a guy's eye and then just healed it back instead of giving him a cool eyepatch
Honestly that was more a return form for SAO. It had become boringly competent but that episode brought it back into being gloriously stupid. I'm willing to believe we might get a plot point as stupid as the death gun conspiracy again.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i skipped on most of mainline sao after the first cour and just kinda wanted some middling mmo puzzle box thing

which i guess is why my interest fades when it not only dives into the worst of old sao but also has kinda unraveled the mystery of things to a point where i'm not sure what reveals could be left

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry friendo. Might I recommend you SAO alternative which is actually good and just about friends playing an MMO while one of them happens to be crazy?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i watched that, and it + the alicization OP lured me back to the series

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sorry friendo. Might I recommend you SAO alternative which is actually good and just about friends playing an MMO while one of them happens to be crazy?

Minor correction: All of them are crazy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I couldn't stand GGO, only got through 8 ish episodes. How much is there between that and Aliciazation?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it sounds like you should cut your losses, friend

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Minor correction: All of them are crazy.

To be fair, there's varying degrees of crazy on the show.

Llenn, for example, has a complex about her height, is one of the most infamous PKers on the server, and talks to her gun, which sometimes talks back.

She's the sanest one.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I grade their ability to function in society on the same curve I do actual counter strike players, and only Pito raises any red flags on that scale.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eating 9 pints of ice cream in a short time span is pretty crazy, as was immediately proven.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

I couldn't stand GGO, only got through 8 ish episodes. How much is there between that and Aliciazation?

Hated it so much you only watched 2/3 of it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

chumbler posted:

Eating 9 pints of ice cream in a short time span is pretty crazy, as was immediately proven.

Also a junkrat main I respect that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sakurazuka posted:

Hated it so much you only watched 2/3 of it

Man, I can only watch a couple episodes of stuff I like

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

If you mean SAO s2, GGO only lasts the first half, the second is just hanging out playing an MMO. There’s nothing connecting it to this season at all. The last five or so are really cute though for how utterly preposterous they are.

So I guess from the last page or so that ALICE is going away this season? I had just assumed that it was two cour because... how could it not be? I don’t mind I guess, the show has been really great and good looking so whatever is needed for that to happen is okay.

Kirito dapping up his robot bro is the highlight of a season with a bunch of tremendous op touches.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also this is from a bit ago, but how on earth is the ship for SAO this season between Kirito and Asuna and not Kirito and blond Kirito?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also this is from a bit ago, but how on earth is the ship for SAO this season between Kirito and Asuna and not Kirito and blond Kirito?

I don't think he should cheat on his wife.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

If you mean SAO s2, GGO only lasts the first half, the second is just hanging out playing an MMO. There’s nothing connecting it to this season at all. The last five or so are really cute though for how utterly preposterous they are.

So I guess from the last page or so that ALICE is going away this season? I had just assumed that it was two cour because... how could it not be? I don’t mind I guess, the show has been really great and good looking so whatever is needed for that to happen is okay.

Kirito dapping up his robot bro is the highlight of a season with a bunch of tremendous op touches.

it's four cours

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh yeah SAO's a full year isn't it?
Really? Last time I swear I read somewhere that it was going to be every other cour (Fall '18, Spring '19, Fall '19, Spring '20 or something like that). At first I was mildly intrigued in how they were going to adapt it (already read the novels covering what's gonna be adapted) but yeah, I think I'm gonna give it a big-ol' pass, then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah its just a straight shot full year

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well that’s some dope rear end poo poo. I love how slow and meandering it’s been.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpHg0ABxm3s

Running Boys OST has been out for the last couple of days and has some right bangers.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

If anything Rikka has more chemistry with Akane.

Got to this post before I figured out we weren't talking about the Chuuni show without context for some reason. Need more variety in main character names.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I meant season 2 of SAO yeah. I tried to give it an honest shot and it was just blandly inoffensive at first so I didn't immediately drop it. It continued to be somewhere between dumb and bland until I gave up on it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

I meant season 2 of SAO yeah. I tried to give it an honest shot and it was just blandly inoffensive at first so I didn't immediately drop it. It continued to be somewhere between dumb and bland until I gave up on it.

Ok, so my source guy has posted some new information about the current tend on BD sales I'll share with you guys. These are completely final, but are the current trending numbers so if anything, they might increase.

1. Zombieland Saga - ¥96 million
2. SAO - ¥72 million
3. Tensei Slime - ¥63 million
4. Gridman - ¥62 million
5. Bunny Senpai - ¥46 million

So yeah, we can likely expect another season of zombie idols and hopefully giant robot fights.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I disliked s2 a whole lot too and gave up on it while it was airing too. I forgot to say I agreed that it was terrible. But I decided to watch it before Alice started and the last plot line is so loving insane that it brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. Asuna joins a guild of kids affected with super aids and it is 300% more schmaltzy than whatever your assumption would be even knowing SAO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uh, they aren't affected with super aids. It's literally just regular aids. And it's honestly handled pretty well. Like it's schmaltzy but also it just, says that she literally has aids, and deals with the social ramifications of that and bias towards people with aids in a fairly straightforward way, which makes it way more down to earth than like 99.9% of stories like that and makes me respect it a hell of a lot more than stuff like your lie in april.

Plus Yuuki's a fairly likable character. Even if it hits the exact beats you'd expect it to hit it hits them in a way that makes sense for the characters and doesn't ever make Yuuki like, a cipher that exists only to make Asuna sad, she has legitimate moments of frustration and fear and reads like a pretty well-written sick kid. And again, they just give her an actual real life disease and depict it fairly realistically down to the parts where everyone including adults and people in power are lovely about it because of social stigmas about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly if you think the arc's way too fault in our stars I'd totally get that criticism but every time it gets brought up it's like 'lol she has AIDS' like aids is a meme that doesn't exist anymore. Like, get off FYAD for five second, what the hell.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

Uh, they aren't affected with super aids. It's literally just regular aids. And it's honestly handled pretty well. Like it's schmaltzy but also it just, says that she literally has aids, and deals with the social ramifications of that and bias towards people with aids in a fairly straightforward way, which makes it way more down to earth than like 99.9% of stories like that and makes me respect it a hell of a lot more than stuff like your lie in april.

Plus Yuuki's a fairly likable character. Even if it hits the exact beats you'd expect it to hit it hits them in a way that makes sense for the characters and doesn't ever make Yuuki like, a cipher that exists only to make Asuna sad, she has legitimate moments of frustration and fear and reads like a pretty well-written sick kid. And again, they just give her an actual real life disease and depict it fairly realistically down to the parts where everyone including adults and people in power are lovely about it because of social stigmas about it.

It's a drug-resistant form of AIDS, so it's super AIDS, I guess, just in a non-silly way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

It's a drug-resistant form of AIDS, so it's super AIDS, I guess, just in a non-silly way.
I mean every type of AIDS is drug-resistant to a certain extent, just some more than others. From my understanding it depends a lot on how long you've had it, too, which she's had it since she was a baby, so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For me, that arc was more funny in contrast to basically coming right after an arc where Kirito basically cures his fifth girlfriend's PTSD by taking her to a bar and going "Hey, stop it"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

'lol she has AIDS' like aids is a meme that doesn't exist anymore. Like, get off FYAD for five second, what the hell.
extremely this

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

Honestly if you think the arc's way too fault in our stars I'd totally get that criticism but every time it gets brought up it's like 'lol she has AIDS' like aids is a meme that doesn't exist anymore. Like, get off FYAD for five second, what the hell.

I blame Habbo Hotel and internet meme culture in general.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

yo more girls last tour incoming

https://twitter.com/shojoshumatsu/status/1075767880271069188

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the fact that it was explicitly AIDS and not just a vague anime terminal illness took me off guard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the fact that it was explicitly AIDS and not just a vague anime terminal illness took me off guard.
Yeah, but like I said that's something that made me really respect it compared to a lot of stuff, felt like the author actually did research and such. Like I said there's plenty to criticize about the arc, but having the disease be explicit and have the character's damage tie into the specific disease they have beyond just the base fact of it slowly killing them is objectively a good choice, and a lot braver than a lot of shows are.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Endorph posted:

I mean every type of AIDS is drug-resistant to a certain extent, just some more than others.

So explicitly describing it as such is what? It was abrupt and shocking and guess what that is comedy. I liked the arc, it was certainly the best part of the season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

So explicitly describing it as such is what? It was abrupt and shocking and guess what that is comedy.
I disagree with the parts of this post where I understand what you're saying, which I think is half?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it was one of the best arcs because Kirito wasn't in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

I disagree with the parts of this post where I understand what you're saying, which I think is half?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?